Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cunningham response to critics

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

I'd love to know where he thinks the club is heading with its shocking recruitment policies and playing style/game plan

To be fair I have found some of the criticism a little harsh so it's good to know that it actually helps to motivate him

I agree but it's the players who need it too Retro.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

He's got to change, that much is obvious. To be fair to him though, some of the crap being thrown his way is again immature. I hope he sorts it out just so the usual lot that never post after a win disappear again.

In The South Stand

I'd love him to prove the doubters wrong and turn things round. Only he can do it so let's see what happens.

For my part, I've been expecting a turn round all season and, as posted elsewhere, every time I've seen green shoots of recovery someone has poured Weedol (other makes of weed killer are available) on them. I accept that KC's a fighter with a well earned sense of self belief but I hope he isn't deluding himself. The performance on Sunday really annoyed me. I've been annoyed for some time. The game that really got me wasn't Salford away or Hull at home in the cup but Leeds away. Leeds have been there for the taking by everyone all season but we couldn't do it.

I don't want to be negative but I can only reflect what I see on the pitch. I don't boo my team and I don't leave early so I can only express my current displeasure on this forum. If the season is turned on its head and we start to win with style, I'll be really pleased. If KC can do it, I'll remember to give credit where it's due. I await the Hull game with interest.

In The South Stand

Everyone wants KC to succeed, he's a legend and we're all Saints fans.

I'm afraid, however, I have seen and heard nothing to make me think he will turn it around. I hope I'm wrong.

I'd love him to do it too Suttoner. I'm not a boo boy. The social media stuff is the killer I'm afraid. I made the mistake of looking at the Saints FB site. Very alarming.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    He's got to change, that much is obvious. To be fair to him though, some of the crap being thrown his way is again immature. I hope he sorts it out just so the usual lot that never post after a win disappear again.
    Whilst that this true there is a lot of fair and constructive feedback too. There are all levels of people on this forum from proper angry thickos (not naming any) to very erudite and reasonable contributors

I've always thought a head coach job was too soon for him. It's a lot different than putting the cones out and geeing up the players occasionally

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    I'd love him to do it too Suttoner. I'm not a boo boy. The social media stuff is the killer I'm afraid. I made the mistake of looking at the Saints FB site. Very alarming.
    I never look at that but have heard it mentioned a few times. What sort of garbage do people spout on there?

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I never look at that but have heard it mentioned a few times. What sort of garbage do people spout on there?
    Some serious Trolls on there Retro, one in particular who I won't name latches onto every negative comment with unbridled abuse. A dope in my opinion and doesn't deserve the oxygen of publicity. Last time I'll look.

You know I have to look on there now to see if I can work out who you're on about?

Into the lion's den!

Got A Season Ticket

I personally would love him to go on and do great things. Though I just can't see it happening because not only do I feel he's not the greatest at tactics and being able to recognise and implement change. I feel crucially he lacks the players to make great things happen. I've never known a saints team with such little pace in the team and with so many players who aren't up to high grade rugby league. I personally would like to know what the club are measuring he's success on because only for a very poor standard in the league overall we could have been outside the top 8. Also it will be he's second season and we are getting worse so if the club do nothing I feel it will be more than a small section of the fans calling for him to walk very soon. No matter what people say we are sthelens and expect success or at least a coach and team who give everything trying to be the best!!!!!!

Got A Season Ticket

A good coach wouldn't even respond publicly in this way. Imagine Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy, or even Shaun Wane coming out and saying that the fans all think he's crap but he wants to prove them wrong. We really are wasting our time with KC, we're just going to be lurching from one shambles to another until he finally leaves.

He's a bad coach,what else is there to say?

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

Couple of questions for KC really ?

How are you going to improve things?

More of the same or a change of approach ?

When do you think we will see signs of this improvement ?

Can we have a couple of examples of what improvement looks like , so we will know ?

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 141 View Post
    A good coach wouldn't even respond publicly in this way. Imagine Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy, or even Shaun Wane coming out and saying that the fans all think he's crap but he wants to prove them wrong. We really are wasting our time with KC, we're just going to be lurching from one shambles to another until he finally leaves.
    He's snookered either way. If he keeps quiet people will moan, if he faces the camera people will pick it to pieces and moan, if he avoids the camera he's gutless and people moan, if he replies to a hashtag in the press people will moan. If we were winning he wouldn't be under so much pressure and everything is being picked up on.

The only thing that will save him now is results. It'll be interesting to see the game Saturday, if the lads turn up for him then they want to play for him. If we get tonked, maybe the lads just don't care if he's shown the door.

In The South Stand

When he was only 18i used to say he is one of the best in the world in his position and I think I am entitled to have an opinion on his coaching , up to now to be nice to him he is one of the worst coaches I think Saints have ever had of course things can only get better I hope.

More of the interview.

http://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/sp...tics-1-7928669

His comment 'I will fight to the bitter end' sounds ominous...just a case of what is the bitter end..
    Don't know what his interview will achieve, but guess he had to say something.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Everyone wants KC to succeed, he's a legend and we're all Saints fans. I'm afraid, however, I have seen and heard nothing to make me think he will turn it around. I hope I'm wrong.
    My thoughts exactly
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Pretty sure he should be taking advice from the media bods at the club.Personally if he gets involved in a slanging match with the fans there is only one result.All he has to say is he is not happy with performances and he is working hard to turn things around and stay with that.

The bottom line is it's a result's based business and at the moment he is just about keeping his head above water.A few more losses and we really will be in trouble so if that is the way we are heading we are doing ok.

But his inability to change, adapt and innovate is the real problem here.

I am not a boo boy,I will never do that and I don't necessarily want him out but I do want him to change and I do want him to keep his mouth shut in the press.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    To be fair I have found some of the criticism a little harsh so it's good to know that it actually helps to motivate him
    I agree with most of the criticism I've read on here, but the personal insults and name calling are a step too far for me. Coaching ability aside, this is Keiron we're talking about; he should be afforded a level of respect.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Really hope things turn around this season. We've shown we can play but we need to be more consistent and put performances together when it really matters. There are surprise results every week this season and across the board teams can beat anyone else on their day. We've shown that we can score points on occasion but we really need to look at our defence IMO. We're asking ourselves to score a lot of points to win games and defence breads confidence that you can take into other areas of the game.

Big fixture this week away at Hull who are full of confidence and have a passionate set of supporters who believe they can achieve something this season. It's a test of character this week as much as anything else. Do we have the mentality to go there when under pressure and put in a performance?

No matter what happens though it is a game of rugby and personal insults are never the way forward for me. Cunningham was arguably the greatest player to pull on the shirt. Should that clash with his coaching ability? No, absolutely not, but he's done a huge amount for the cub and has given us, as supporters, some great memories in an era that we all enjoyed.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

The fact that so many people have turned against him says everything you need to know. He is an all time great at our club, a living legend who everyone who follows our club over the age of 16 will remember in his pomp. And yet he's getting stick. If this man at this club is getting stick you know it's warranted, because there won't be a single genuine fan who is giving the stick that won't be torn about doing so.

When coaches respond to negativity in such a cocksure way I worry. This "I'm not worried about it" attitude is obviously untrue otherwise he wouldn't feel it worth his time to talk about it. After we win games he talks about us being on the right track, but these moments always disappear with a caning. We repeatedly go back to square one because he is basically winging it, hoping we find form and hoping that this group of players can be as good as he thinks they are. He says that he knows things are on the right track but I don't believe him, because there are no signs of this. We have given up in games at least 4 times this season. This indicates a team lacking self confidence in themselves and their coach. There is no upward progression in performances or results. We can all see if something is being built for long term gains, and we'll all put up with it if we see signs of something working. But it isn't working, it is treading water at the very best.

He started the season talking about Owens being a full back and Turner being a stand off, and indicating that Fages wasn't ready. All of those ideas are well and truly consigned to the bin. He drops young players without a shred of concern to what it may do to their development but persists with underperforming older players. This is not a long term plan, this is doing stuff on the fly, hoping something will stick. It isn't. Sorry Keiron, I hate slagging you off, but it's time to do the right thing

Starting A Programme Collection

I don't like to say this but the current situation with Cunningham and the way the club is going reminds me of Paul Cullens last season in charge of Wire. I remember being invited to the HJ stadium to watch Wire vs Castleford which turned out to be his last game in charge. By this stage the fans who worshipped him as a player and club captain turned on him in such a way that I can still remember the awful anti Cullen atmosphere that day. I worked in Warrington and most of my work colleagues who I attended the game with had all lost faith in both Cullen and the club. It was truly shocking to witness such hatred towards a club legend. I just hope for both Cunningham and the club that we don't come to a similar situation.