Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016 Season

Cool thanks 49er, probably a very light touch piece of fluff TV but I've added it to my planner anyway and will give it a watch

Another TV related post - the BBC highlights programme is on BBC Two at 11.15pm on Tuesday, not sure if that will be it's regular slot. It's called 'NFL This Week' on the planner. Their highlights package last season was excellent so well worth a watch if people are struggling for time to watch all the SKY coverage

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Another TV related post - the BBC highlights programme is on BBC Two at 11.15pm on Tuesday, not sure if that will be it's regular slot. It's called 'NFL This Week' on the planner. Their highlights package last season was excellent so well worth a watch if people are struggling for time to watch all the SKY coverage
    I think that 11:15pm slot will be regular as it's scheduled for that slot in Week 2 on Tuesday 20th as well.

Just watched last night's coverage. Quite a good opening game to the season, looking forward to Sunday

Just watched highlights myself without knowing score. For me excellent result as some know I don't like Cam Newton.. So was pleased with him getting beat (although like a few of Panthers players) by a team with a rookie QB.
    Looking forward to sitting down with Potato Chips and Coke to watch GB on Sunday.

Just watched the game from last night, and enjoyed it. Denver may well be better than expected if Siemian calms down and learns not to throw the 50/50 passes, and their running game and D were awesome last night. Carolina for me will be immensely disappointed. I said to TSS on twitter last night that I expected his Panthers to win the game and make a statement, but it never really happened.

It's only one game, but they were under par for me, their D never got into a groove and Newton was kept in check for large parts. Big win for Denver in as much as it will give them huge belief that they can compete post-Peyton, and a blow for Carolina. The Panthers will IMO still win at least 12 games and go deep into the post-season, and they have Benjamin back at WR which is a massive plus for them, but it was another example of how they can sometimes not look like the sum of their parts, and it will give teams hope come January. As a Green Bay with tons of (maybe unrealistic) expectation I look at Carolina as rivals for the No.1 seed in the NFC, so any time they lose I treat is as a bonus.

One last thing, I thought Denver went very close to stepping over the line with their hits on Newton. Newton got nailed a few times with shots to the head, and apart from the one near the end which was nullified by the pass that didn't make it back to scrimmage they weren't called. Newton is a running QB and can throw a mean block, so he is fair game for any defense, but some of the hits were helmet to helmet and needed to be flagged. I think Newton's size and physical presence means that refs don't call these hits as much on him as they'd call them on smaller and less mobile QB's. If Rodgers gets those hits they get called, but on Newton they don't. As much as I find him annoying he is a superstar of the game, and he needs to be protected a little more than he was last night IMO.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Sorry guys, just seen the predictions. I've done it as honestly as I could and come up with this.

AFC East Champions: New England
    AFC North Champions: Pittsburgh
    AFC South Champions: Indianapolis
    AFC West Champions: KC
    AFC Wildcard 1: Cincinnati
    AFC Wildcard 2: San Diego
    AFC Championship Game: New England beats Pittsburgh

NFC East Champions: Dallas
    NFC North Champions: Green Bay
    NFC South Champions: Carolina
    NFC West Champions: Arizona
    NFC Wildcard 1: Seattle
    NFC Wildcard 2: TB
    NFC Championship Game: Carolina beats Green Bay

Super Bowl: NE beats Carolina

MVP: Tom Brady (hopefully he bloody retires after it)

Miami record: 8-8

NFC is wide open. Dallas I thought a bit about with Romo hurt but I still think they'll scrape that division. GB walks the NFC North. I see TB developing a bit this season and fancy them to get the Wildcard. Surprise is probably that I fancy Arizona to pip the Seahawks for NFC West.

AFC much more straight forward. NE walks the AFC East and I have them winning 12 games even with Brady missing the first few. I see the Steelers going well and just about took Cincy to pip the Ravens for second in that division and have them to take a Wildcard. I think Denver drops this season and have Indy winning the South easily. Other Wildcard for me sees the Chargers sneak it.

As for Miami, nothing doing for us I don't think.

So far we have this. Should be a few more on here over the coming day or two, so please add your predictions and I'll include you in the table.

Gray Parky retro Ste07 49er SS
    AFC East NE NE NE NE NE NE
    AFC North PIT CIN PIT CIN PIT PIT
    AFC South IND JAC HOU IND HOU IND
    AFC West OAK KC KC KC KC KC
    Wild Card 1 CIN DEN CIN PIT OAK CIN
    Wild Card 2 DEN PIT DEN MIA IND SD

AFC Champion PIT NE PIT NE NE NE

NFC East NYG DAL PHI WAS WAS DAL
    NFC North GB GB GB GB GB GB
    NFC South CAR CAR CAR CAR ATL CAR
    NFC West ARI SEA SEA ARI SEA ARI
    Wild Card 1 SEA ARI ARI SEA SF SEA
    Wild Card 2 DAL MIN MIN MIN DAL TB

NFC Champion GB SEA GB ARI GB CAR

Super Bowl Winner GB SEA PIT ARI GB NE

Just got back to the hotel after watching the Jets/Bengals game at Meadowlands. Exciting game with added passion given that it's 9/11 but can't see either team getting close to the Super Bowl. By missing a 25yd FG and a PAT in the first quarter, the Jets kicker effectively lost the game for the home side but I can't help but feel that by going into prevent-defense mode at the end of each half the Jets strategy was most instrumental in the loss as the Bengals scored in both final minutes.

A 70k+ crowd and no long, exasperating queues for drink or food while the cheerleaders were well worth watching - certainly some lessons in these respects that Saints could note. Wouldn't want us to copy their pricing, however - $11-12 for a small bottle of beer and $5 for a soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Just got back to the hotel after watching the Jets/Bengals game at Meadowlands. Exciting game with added passion given that it's 9/11 but can't see either team getting close to the Super Bowl. By missing a 25yd FG and a PAT in the first quarter, the Jets kicker effectively lost the game for the home side but I can't help but feel that by going into prevent-defense mode at the end of each half the Jets strategy was most instrumental in the loss as the Bengals scored in both final minutes.

A 70k+ crowd and no long, exasperating queues for drink or food while the cheerleaders were well worth watching - certainly some lessons in these respects that Saints could note. Wouldn't want us to copy their pricing, however - $11-12 for a small bottle of beer and $5 for a soda.
    Going to watch NE v Jets and then GB v Philly in a couple of months.. (Sunday/Monday games). I was glad I did not pick this week as I could not be dealing with all the 9/11 stuff. Just too much patriotism for me. Thanks for the heads up on the soda prices.
    Enjoyed the first two TV games last night. Both exciting for different reasons. Impressed with the rookie QB for Dallas.
    GB looked rusty in places especially their game/clock management which nearly cost them the game. Liked the fact that the Jags went for it on a few 4th downs. I get the impression we are seeing some new younger coaches who are willing to be a bit more bold and less predictable. Commentators mentioned that coaches are going back to using some college plays. Hope it continues.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    GB looked rusty in places especially their game/clock management which nearly cost them the game. Liked the fact that the Jags went for it on a few 4th downs. I get the impression we are seeing some new younger coaches who are willing to be a bit more bold and less predictable. Commentators mentioned that coaches are going back to using some college plays. Hope it continues.
    I wasn't too worried by what I saw. Lacy made some really good runs and the passing game looked smooth at times. It was W1 and it's all about getting off to a winning start. It was a close game, but I expected as much because Jacksonville have a good passing attack and will scare alot of teams this year.

The drive at 24-20 up was fantastic until the mis-communication on 3rd-and-Goal led to half the OL thinking it was a passing play meaning Starks had no blockers. Had the OL been on the same page Starks walks in and GB lead 31-20 and win the game comfortably. Those are the little things that happen early in the season. Nelson got some key receptions, Rodgers threw some beauties, the other receivers got into the game, Lacy ran well and hard, and when it counted the Defense did what it needed to.

It was 112 degrees at game time, which in our money is 44, so it was ridiculously hot! We got a win, we got some rustiness out of the system, we had a real test and came through it. I'll take it!

PS - Agree about the younger coaches. Although, maybe all these 4th down tries work better in W1 when there is a larger margin for error. I'm not sure they go for many in field goal range in tight games if they are in a play-off race in December!

Banned

Really enjoyed watching us vs Dallas last night, we are a work in progress but we have some real potential with the ball, I am not sure the D is in the same league but I think we will have some fun. I think we are strong favs for our division but not sure we will cut it against the top teams.

Was great seeing Cruz/Beckham/Shephard all out there making plays. If the offensive line can hold up Eli may have a resurgence

Yet to watch the game (even I could not get up for 3am) but reading the reports its a good solid start for SF. It's nice to nil anyone, but better when it's now our old rivals from yesteryear before they moved and now returned.
    Reports say Blaine was not great passing, but was dangerous running. A good D and good with our running game. Shall watch the full game this afternoon.
    It's nice to get a win for both GB and SF. But guess our next game (SF) will be a tougher test against a peed off Panthers.

Just watched game.

Quite impressed with 49ers. Only first game but some promising performances. Bowman, Hyde and new signing (last week) Kerley.
    Was a bit worried about Chip Kelly, but he clearly out schooled Fisher and his Rams. We stopped Gurley II ( a cocky little bugger) and his offensive line.
    Lots to work on, but a good start.
    An aside...Not impressed with ESPN's coverage. Love Steve Young as a player, a superstar, but not a co commentator. Did not like the main guy either.
    Last edited by 49er; 13th September 2016 at 15:04.

An aside...Not impressed with ESPN's coverage. Love Steve Young as a player, a superstar, but not a co commentator. Did not like the main guy either.

Sean McDonough and Jon Gruden will do all MNF going forward, but because it was a double header this week they had Chris Berman and Steve Young do the late game, with Gruden and co. doing Pittsburgh-Washington. Berman and Young do the studio stuff on MNF, but for this one week a season they jump into the booth for the second game of the double-header.

Just watching the BBC highlights show. The Oakland v NO game was a cracker. That 2 point call with 47 seconds left - WOW! Crazy stuff

Seattle did not play well W1 on offense but we got away with the win

Oh and my Wembley tickets came today

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

How I don't know ! Was gutted Sunday night as we should have opened the season with a win at arguably the toughest place in the NFL. Stills dropped an absolute sitter of a TD and we missed a FG. Our defense had held you throughout and then totally blew it on the final drive. I guess that's the NFL.

Just watching the BBC highlights show. The Oakland v NO game was a cracker. That 2 point call with 47 seconds left - WOW! Crazy stuff
    What did you think of the BBC's highlights programme? I did not like it. This is going to sound strange, but they tried to be too American and for me it did not work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    How I don't know ! Was gutted Sunday night as we should have opened the season with a win at arguably the toughest place in the NFL. Stills dropped an absolute sitter of a TD and we missed a FG. Our defense had held you throughout and then totally blew it on the final drive. I guess that's the NFL.
    Possibly could have won. You did struggle to move the ball against our defense all day though, I think Miami only made just over 200 yards and 50 of those came one one play where someone missed their assignment

However in a low scoring game you would have thought the team that fared better in the turnover count would have won (it was MIA 0-2 SEA)

Wilson didn't play well, he threw a ridiculous pick where he just put it up there with 3 Dolphins in coverage vs one Seahawks receiver

What did you think of the BBC's highlights programme? I did not like it. This is going to sound strange, but they tried to be too American and for me it did not work at all.
    It's not too different from last year. The two returning analysts are both Americans so it will come across that way. Maybe they are acknowledging that people over here 'know' football now (although personally I don't think we do yet)

I'm not sure about the innovation when they 'pause' the coverage, give their opinion on what has happened and then carry on with the game. However I think it might be something that gets better and less intrusive over time

I do think 'Chappers' is genuinely enthusiastic about the sport though and takes time out to research things. Not like some of the SKY Sports presenters - I watched the boxing at the weekend and the interviews were toe-curlingly awkward at times

There's a second BBC NFL show after MoTD on Saturday night so at least they are making an effort

Learning All The Songs

Bakhtiari signed new deal.
    Gray- you were right about Sitton being released. Presume that some of that money has gone to keep Bakhtiari.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Learning All The Songs

If anyone hasn't watched Alabama v Ole Miss, try and catch a repeat. I won't ruin it and put the score on here but what great game it was.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Out with the old, in with the new.

The 2016 Schedule is released next week (not sure what date yet!) and the 2016 Draft is only 2 weeks away. So, even though we have no games for another 4 months until the pre-season kicks in, we'll have loads to discuss in the next few weeks. So, all in here please. And hopefully this thread will be as brilliant as it was last season.

As requested, here we all are, oldies and newbies, and the teams we follow.

Gray77 (me) - Green Bay
    Retro74 - Seattle
    Talk some sense! - Carolina
    SS - Miami
    bazdev - NY Giants
    49er - San Francisco
    Vaughany - Green Bay
    Stephen07 - San Francisco
    eddiewaringsflatcap - Washington
    SaintsLatic - NY Jets (welcome!)

I will update this for all newbies on this thread. All are welcome.
    I used to watch it years ago when it was on channel 4!!!! Haven't watched much for years tried to watch it last year and get back into it but some reason couldn't into it, am trying again now!! I'm a redskins fan!! That could change tonight tho 2 defeats from 2 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Giants 2-2. I genuinely didnt expect that a couple of weeks ago. I thought we would start slowly and come on strong having a new head coach but very happy with tonights performance. Defence dug out a low scoring win. Roll on next week

2-0 baz unless I've missed 2 weeks somewhere?

I watched the Houston @ NE game the other day. A lot of people thought Houston had a real chance but I didn't see it that way. One thing was interesting though, I've heard a few commentators say that Brady is nothing more than a solid QB with a coaching genius there making him look like the greatest of all time. We'll never find out if that's the case but the way that NE have gone 3-0 with a second and third string QB in the team is impressive, especially the way that they dismantled a previously unbeaten team with a rookie at the helm

Learning All The Songs

2-0 baz unless I've missed 2 weeks somewhere?

I watched the Houston @ NE game the other day. A lot of people thought Houston had a real chance but I didn't see it that way. One thing was interesting though, I've heard a few commentators say that Brady is nothing more than a solid QB with a coaching genius there making him look like the greatest of all time. We'll never find out if that's the case but the way that NE have gone 3-0 with a second and third string QB in the team is impressive, especially the way that they dismantled a previously unbeaten team with a rookie at the helm
    Certainly has surprised people with the NE start.
    Been very quiet on here past few weeks, is this down to lots of us having a bad start apart from Baz!