Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016 Season

The QB position is an interesting one as it's the most high profile, with the most intelligent (in football terms) postion, as they have to learn all plays, communicate to team mates, inspire etc.
    Yet good QB's still need a good side to be able to be truly recognised. This is not so in other positions. Many out-field players are lauded without actually playing in a Super Bowl team.
    So as fans are we guilty of not maybe acknowledging some QB's because their team is not that good no matter how good they are.
    Any suggestions who is a better QB than maybe we give them credit.
    I think Carr for Oakland is decent and if in a better team would be better.

I've always thought Phillip Rivers as an excellent QB despite him never winning a ring, almost like a modern day Marino in that respect (but not as good)

So Bridgewater is out of for season meaning GB will win the North comfortably IMO. With the East having no consistent team it could open up a play off spot for a big improver - probably not the 49ers though!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I've always thought Phillip Rivers as an excellent QB despite him never winning a ring, almost like a modern day Marino in that respect (but not as good)

So Bridgewater is out of for season meaning GB will win the North comfortably IMO. With the East having no consistent team it could open up a play off spot for a big improver - probably not the 49ers though!
    I was half way through replying to that post on the train into work with my take that Rivers has been considered a top top QB despite SD being woeful for most of his time there, but it wouldn't send. So, obviously, I agree entirely with your post!

As for Bridgewater, tough break for him as a young kid making his name. It's great news for Green Bay, but in a way it takes a bit of sheen off what could have been an epic NFC North race. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing GB and the Vikings going toe to toe, and with both teams having such a home-field advantage it is a division where winning it makes a big difference in the play-offs. I was already looking forward to the Week 2 game there, under the lights at their new stadium. I still am looking forward to it, but for me it was a great early test of Green Bay's abilities to win big road games and make a statement. Now, if we win there it won't prove much.

Now it feels like the Packers will win the division, and so the competitive aspect has been lost slightly. Minnesota have no option now but to put their hopes on the shoulders of AP and see where it can take them. They still have enough talent to have a winning record, but without Bridgewater they may become a bit one-dimensional in the bigger games and get worked out, and that is usually the difference between being a 8-8 or 9-7 type team thinking 'what if?' and a 11-5 or 12-4 type team trying to win a division and getting a bye week.

PS - Green Bay are getting the breaks in terms of their opponents injuries. Our biggest two games in Sept and Oct are arguably at Minnesota in W2, and Dallas at Lambeau in W6. Both opponents will be without their starting QB. I originally looked at the schedule and thought 5-2 would be a decent start for GB, but I'm now thinking there is half a chance that Green Bay will be 7-0 when Luck and Indy roll into Lambeau in W9. I will await the news that Luck has done his knee and will be missing until W10!

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

I know this is a bit off topic, a couple of friends are drafting in a league and there are 6 open positions. Drafting in one hour, if anyone fancies it then everyone is welcome.
    http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/4337969
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

Right, with 5 days to go before the first game it is time for us all to put our necks on the line and make some predictions for the 2016 season. If we can get everyone to make tips I will try and collate them into a readable table so we can all see what the other has tipped in one place.

And if you don't make your predictions I won't take you seriously later in the year if you claim that you knew such a team was going to tank or such a team was going to have a stormer!

AFC East Champions:
    AFC North Champions:
    AFC South Champions:
    AFC West Champions:
    AFC Wildcard 1:
    AFC Wildcard 2:
    AFC Championship Game:
    ? beat ?

NFC East Champions:
    NFC North Champions:
    NFC South Champions:
    NFC West Champions:
    NFC Wildcard 1:
    NFC Wildcard 2:
    NFC Championship Game:
    ? beat ?

Super Bowl Winners:

MVP:

Your teams regular season record:

AFC East Champions: New England
    AFC North Champions: Pittsburgh
    AFC South Champions: Indianapolis
    AFC West Champions: Oakland
    AFC Wildcard 1: Kansas City
    AFC Wildcard 2: Denver
    AFC Championship Game: Pittsburgh beat New England

NFC East Champions: NY Giants
    NFC North Champions: Green Bay
    NFC South Champions: Carolina
    NFC West Champions: Arizona
    NFC Wildcard 1: Seattle
    NFC Wildcard 2: Dallas
    NFC Championship Game: Green Bay beat Carolina

Super Bowl Winners: Green Bay

MVP: Cam Newton

Your teams regular season record: Green Bay 13-3

I think the NFC is so top heavy this year that I can actually see Dallas making the play-offs despite missing Romo for half the season. I can only see the NFC Champions coming from either Green Bay, Carolina, Arizona, Seattle or Dallas (if they sneak in and are healthy in Jan) but I can see the Giants winning the East simply because Romo's injury will not allow Dallas to win enough games to win the division.

In the AFC, everyone has a chance to try and get ahead of New England in the race for the No.1 seed whilst Brady is out for the first 4 games. Pittsburgh for me are the class of the conference alongside a Brady-led New England, and I believe Pittsburgh will pip NE for home-field, which will be huge because the Steelers will then meet NE (IMO) in the AFC Title game and will beat them at home. I really like the look of the AFC West, and I'm going for a sneaky pick of Oakland to pip KC. Denver will still be good and will make the play-offs, but will not be elite this year with the Siemian bedding in at QB.

Starting A Programme Collection

Looking forward to the new NFL season. My predictions,

AFC East : New England
    AFC North : Cincinnati
    AFC South : Jacksonville
    AFC West : Kansas City
    AFC Wildcard 1 : Denver
    AFC Wildcard 2 : Pittsburgh
    AFC Championship Game : New England beat Pittsburgh

NFC East : Dallas
    NFC North : Green Bay
    NFC South : Carolina
    NFC West : Seattle
    NFC Wildcard 1 : Arizona
    NFC Wildcard 2 : Minnesota
    NFC Championship Game : Seattle beat Green Bay

Superbowl winners : Seattle

MVP : Aaron Rodgers

I think the NFC is really tough to predict as it's so strong compared to the AFC. I think Seattle and Carolina are the strongest 2 teams but history tells us that the loser of a Superbowl very rarely makes it back to the big dance. I think Buffalo were the last team to make it back to a Superbowl after losing the previous year and that was back in the mid 90's. Green Bay will always be a contender with Aaron Rodgers. The guy is the best QB I've ever seen and I've been following the sport since the mid 90's.

AFC is a bit easier to predict for me. New England is by far the strongest team in this division and should comfortable win the AFC East even without Brady for the first 4 games. I think Jacksonville could be the surprise package this year. They drafted really well on defence to complement the high scoring offence of last year.

Learning All The Songs

Anyone watching college games today and tonight?
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Anyone watching college games today and tonight?
    A bit late in reply, but watched the UCLA at Texas A&M game last night and was keeping an eye on the Wisconsin-LSU game at Lambeau which was on at the same time. I have Alabama-USC recorded if I have time to watch it later on.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    A bit late in reply, but watched the UCLA at Texas A&M game last night and was keeping an eye on the Wisconsin-LSU game at Lambeau which was on at the same time. I have Alabama-USC recorded if I have time to watch it later on.
    Be interesting to see how Bama go after losing so many. I won't talk about the game incase you haven't watched it yet!

What do you think bout Packers releasing Sitton??
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Just looked at Sky's schedule of NFL games and its is only showing Friday early morning games and Tuesday night games?
    No Sunday games? Is this right?
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/nfl-on-sky.
    So not live footy unless you are an insomniac..

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Just looked at Sky's schedule of NFL games and its is only showing Friday early morning games and Tuesday night games?
    No Sunday games? Is this right?
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/nfl-on-sky.
    So not live footy unless you are an insomniac..
    No. The 'prime time' games (Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night) are set in stone on the schedules, so Sky can advertise them games because they know they are the games that are definitely be in those time slots. The Sunday afternoon games in the States (6pm, 9:25pm here) are usually picked by Sky the week before, so they can pick the games that look better on paper. Hence, you don't see any of those games in the listings because they simply haven't picked them yet.

I think it would look better if they simply said 6pm: Game to be decided, 9:25pm: Game to be decided, etc, because that would not lead to people getting confused. But Sky will show 2 games every Sunday evening at 6pm and 9:25pm as usual, as well as the TNF, SNF and MNF games, have no fear.

To add to the previous post, Sky have actually decided on their Week 1 Sunday evening games.

6pm - Green Bay at Jacksonville
    9:25pm - NY Giants at Dallas.

Not sure why their website isn't advertising them.

As a rule, the 6pm game Sky pick tends to be a combination of trying to get as many teams on during the season, trying to get teams on early in the season if they have a Wembley game (Jacksonville in W1 for example) and trying to pick a game that looks decent.

The 9:25pm game is usually easy to pick weeks in advance because there are generally only 3 or 4 games in that slot, and one of them is either the big CBS or FOX game of the day. Fox and CBS get a certain numbers of weeks where they get to pick a certain game in that slot, with Fox getting W1 (picking NYG at Dallas) and CBS getting W2 (Indy at Denver). Those games are 90% likely to be the ones Sky pick because they are generally the biggest games in the afternoon slots.

The schedules don't just appear the way they do by magic, they are manipulated and changed to suit the broadcasters. This is why Dallas appear regularly in the 9:25pm slot because they are the biggest rated TV team, and it's why Green Bay's biggest three non-divisional games at Lambeau (Dallas, Indy and Seattle) are all in that slot. It's also why certain teams very rarely get games in that slot (unless they are a West coast team and have to be) because neither broadcaster wants to put them in the big national TV slot.

The Fox games are the ones were Aikman and Buck are commentators, and the CBS ones have Simms and Nantz. If you are watching a game with those commentators you know it's that broadcasters marquee Sunday game.

The games pin-pointed by Fox and CBS for their 9:25 (UK time) late national TV slots already look easy to spot. They can be rescheduled later in the season if those games look less attractive, but as we stand now the late slot marquee games for the first half of the season (that will likely be shown on Sky) will be...

W1 - NYG at Dal (Fox)
    W2 - Ind at Den (CBS)
    W3 - Pit at Phi (CBS)
    W4 - Dal at SF (Fox) - pretty weak schedule this week, so Fox plumped for the game featuring Dallas with a bit of history behind it.
    W5 - Cin at Dal (CBS)
    W6 - Dal at GB (Fox)
    W7 - NE at Pit (CBS)
    W8 - Ari at Car (Fox)
    Last edited by Gray77; 4th September 2016 at 15:58.

Thanks for that. I mentioned it to my wife after posting and she called me a knob head as Sky will announce Sunday games later..
    At least you told me more politely

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Be interesting to see how Bama go after losing so many. I won't talk about the game incase you haven't watched it yet!

What do you think bout Packers releasing Sitton??
    Hmmm, I think Bama will be fine! They are the power of college football IMO. They might not always win the national title but they are the most consistent power, have the best coach in college football and have the most 'professional' attitude of any college team in the land. They are a production line for the NFL but always seem to recruit well and stay at or near the top. I don't expect anything different this year.

Sitton? Strange one, but he is due to be a free agent next year and Green Bay have some other big names going into their final year (Tretter, Lacy etc) and I think the idea is that Sitton is replaceable right now and the $6m or so freed off the cap will help re-sign some other players without them going into free agency. I generally trust Ted Thompson to get these things right, so I'm fairly calm about it.

My predictions

AFC South Champions: Houston
    AFC West Champions: Kansas City
    AFC Wildcard 1: Cincinnati
    AFC Wildcard 2: Denver
    AFC Championship Game: Pittsburgh beat New England

NFC East Champions: Philadelphia
    NFC South Champions: Carolina
    NFC West Champions: Seattle
    NFC Wildcard 1: Arizona
    NFC Wildcard 2: Minnesota
    NFC Championship Game: Green Bay beat Seattle

Super Bowl Winners: Pittsburgh

MVP: Ben Roethlisberger

Your team's regular season record: Seattle 12-4

Some odd looking predictions in mine. I have Houston for the AFC South as Indy were even worse with Luck at QB last year than they were without, I also think the Texans have more improvement in them and a player like Watt brings out another 5% in everyone else. NE are a sure thing even with Brady's initial exclusion, Pittsburgh have a wealth of offensive talent and KC will pip Denver in what could be a terrific division

Even odder I have Philly for the NFC East, it's a tough one to predict and a case could be made for any of the 4 teams. They got 7 wins despite being rubbish last year though so in a division where it's impossible to predict I'll go left field with mine. Relies on Wentz playing and playing well though

Sky now confirmed on website the Sunday games.. So my wife and I will be sat wearing cheese hats this Sunday.
    Yes we have a cheese cheese hat and a cheese top hat..

I still find it weird pulling for two teams, but there we are. I will have to get a banjo for 49ers games

Can I just add that anybody not bold enough to make some predictions before the season starts will be treated to the rolling eye treatment from me if and when they start talking about how things panned out how they'd expected, etc. 😉

When did you become a Seattle fan Stephen? You're down as a 49ers supporter on the first post!

Or was it a copy and paste error from the last prediction post? You can copy and paste the line below if you want

Your team's regular record : San Francisco 4-12
    Last edited by retro74; 7th September 2016 at 10:37. Reason: added second sentence

I don't want to insult those that invest time and expertise in thier predictions by putting my 'guesses' because that's what they would be. Hence why I have not posted my guesses.
    I hope SF 49ers do something like they did a few seasons ago, but that's wishful foolish fan faith.
    I have more faith in GB though.
    Other than that I just hope to watch some great close tough games.
    Outside of the two above teams if they fail, I would be happy to see the Steelers / New England do well.
    Want Cam Newton to have a shocking season and Panthers / Saints to fail. But that's just childish, but I can't help it.

You should have a go 49er, we're all just guessing really and you did pretty well last time out. That's one of the great things about the NFL, a good draft, some decent trades and you can go from a 3-13 team one year to one with a winning record the year after - there are some sure things (NE, GB etc) but there is a lot of unpredictability too. Who would have guessed that Carolina would have been so good last year after being poor the previous season?

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I don't want to insult those that invest time and expertise in thier predictions by putting my 'guesses' because that's what they would be. Hence why I have not posted my guesses.
    Huh? What do you think my predictions are if they're not simply guesses? That's all predictions are, wild guesses, and that's why they bother to play the actual games because predictions are invariably way off.

Take a guess, just like the rest of us have. You'll find come February that yours were no more outlandish than anyone else's.

Here goes my guesses.. My heart took over in one obvious place...

AFC South Champions: Houston
    AFC West Champions: Chiefs
    AFC Wildcard 1: Oakland
    AFC Wildcard 2: Colts
    AFC Championship Game: New England beat Steelers

NFC East Champions: Redskins
    NFC South Champions: Atlanta
    NFC West Champions: Seattle
    NFC Wildcard 1: SF 49ers
    NFC Wildcard 2: Dallas

NFC Championship Game: Green Bay beat Arizona

Super Bowl Winners: Green Bay

MVP: J. Nelson

Your teams regular season record: SF 9-7 - GB 12-4

Cool, some different ones there which is what makes it interesting

Hopefully SS and baz will find a minute to put theirs in but they probably be Miami and NYG winning the Super Bowl respectively

One other thing, if Seattle win I'm going to claim that as a moral victory (like Wigan do) as I'm not going to jinx our chances by picking them

Heads up

Sunday BBC 1 12.20am Reggie Yates doing a programme on America. This episode is seen through the eyes of the NFL Green Bay Packers. No idea what is going to be like. But might be worth recording..