Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016 Season

A regular bystanding reader of this section of Redvee but rarely encouraged to post given the recent abysmal performances of my team. Long time Redskins fan as I was captivated by the style and success of the Thiesmann, Riggins, Monk, Green, Jacobi, Grimm, Manley era when the game first appeared on Channel 4 (which also resulted in me liking the Eurythmics and Prokofiev!). Last season's performance was surprising but I never had any real belief that it would be the Redskins' year and while the side appears to have strengthened I can't help but think it will still be a false dawn.

Off to New York from 6-13 September and intending to catch both a Yankees game and hopefully the Jets v Bengals - don't like the AFC teams because of my NFC allegiance but at least I dislike both less than the Giants!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    don't like the AFC teams because of my NFC allegiance but at least I dislike both less than the Giants!
    This made me think about a chat I had with someone I know who got into NFL about 3 years ago. He and his mates all follow 'The Cowboys' (he never says Dallas which I find weird) and he was telling me they need to do away with having AFC and NFC and just seed the play-offs based on best records. I asked him...

What would happen to divisions? 'Get rid of them'
    So, you'd not play your traditional rivals twice a year would you? 'So what?'
    How would you have conference champions? 'You wouldn't'

And so it went on. I tried to explain to him that the AFC and NFC exist because of the historic alignment of the NFL and AFL, and that winning divisions is a big thing in US Sport, as are traditional rivalries like Green Bay-Chicago, Dallas-Washington etc. He just didn't fathom why a 9-7 NFC team could make the play-offs if a 10-6 AFC team didn't. I told him they are two different conferences, and both conferences needed a champion, but he wasn't buying it. I ended up telling him he needed to do a bit of research into the history and culture of American sports, and how they all basically started as regional leagues that ended up as national ones.

But, I wasn't surprised by his attitude, and I reckon lots of UK based fans don't really get the division and conference stuff.

The conference games have produced some of the most seminal moments in the sport - The Ice Bowl, The Catch and The Drive just off the top of my head

I also like that if you reach the Super Bowl you're guaranteed to play someone from the rival conference. It wouldn't be a "Super Bowl" otherwise. The whole point of the name was based on the two rival conferences coming together in a winner takes all battle

If it was two AFC teams or two NFC teams fans of the other conference would pay a little less interest too

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    The conference games have produced some of the most seminal moments in the sport - The Ice Bowl, The Catch and The Drive just off the top of my head

I also like that if you reach the Super Bowl you're guaranteed to play someone from the rival conference. It wouldn't be a "Super Bowl" otherwise. The whole point of the name was based on the two rival conferences coming together in a winner takes all battle

If it was two AFC teams or two NFC teams fans of the other conference would pay a little less interest too
    Spot on. I don't think he got the concept of what a 'Bowl' is either in American sports.

Learning All The Songs

Hayne has quit 49ers to play 7's for Fiji at Olympics.
    Wonder if he'll go to Union now?
    Tom Burgess should take a serious look at the outcome of Haynes NFL quest.
    Admire his guts for doing it but ultimately it has ended in failure.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Imagine how many points Parra would have been docked if they were still having to pay Hayne as well! 😉

Not strictly NFL, but still. Oregon once again leading the way in bat guano crazy/cool (depending on your stand point) ideas

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.d...&DB_OEM_ID=500

Six weeks today until the Regular Season Kick Off Game.

Only ten days until the Hall of Fame Game between Green Bay and Indianapolis kicks off the pre season.

Where did the off season go?!

We'll have to open a new thread soon and start with the traditional predictions

Probably need a new football (Premier League) thread too

Learning All The Songs

We'll have to open a new thread soon and start with the traditional predictions

Probably need a new football (Premier League) thread too
    Nelsons done his other knee but Packers seem to be fairly quiet on if its serious or not. Yikes.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Nelsons done his other knee but Packers seem to be fairly quiet on if its serious or not. Yikes.
    Not too bad according to this..
    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/pac...214122267.html

My wife will be happy. She was grumpy all last season not being able to see him..
    Just starting to think NFL now. I try and put it to bed during the off season, but slowly starting to read articles etc..
    Looking forward to all three games here and the two we (wife) have planned in November in NY..and Philly..

Twickenham tickets were delivered today..So it's not far away now..
    Going to all three games again.

Not got my Wembley ones yet but hopefully they'll be landing soon

Watched the Seahawks highlights earlier today. We broke Tony Romo's back unfortunately

Not got my Wembley ones yet but hopefully they'll be landing soon

Watched the Seahawks highlights earlier today. We broke Tony Romo's back unfortunately
    Not got my Wembley ones yet either. Yes heard about Romo. Bad injury, but does seem injury prone.

49rs have QB trouble with all the press around Kaepernick and Gabbot looking to be starting it looks like another year of struggle or transition at best. Can't see us making the playoffs again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    49rs have QB trouble with all the press around Kaepernick and Gabbot looking to be starting it looks like another year of struggle or transition at best. Can't see us making the playoffs again.
    I'd be surprised if you came close to be honest. The two NFC wild cards IMO will go to the two teams that finish second in the North and West. With Minnesota and Green Bay both likely to win at least 10 games, and Seattle and Arizona likely to do the same it would take a massive improvement from SF to even contend for a wild card.

Trevor Siemian anyone? For those of us who only follow the game at the NFL level he seems the unlikeliest starting QB for a defending SB champ you could get

I assume he kicked butt at college football?

Learning All The Songs

As a Dolphins fan it will be interesting to see if the new HC can change things. I can't see it happening whilst Tannehill is at QB-he just doesn't do it for me. Nasty opening fixture at Seattle.

Trevor Siemian anyone? For those of us who only follow the game at the NFL level he seems the unlikeliest starting QB for a defending SB champ you could get

I assume he kicked butt at college football?

No! 😃 Utterly bizarre really, but it shows the lack of real quality at QB and the lack of top draw QBs coming out of college in the last couple of years.

Big test for him, and I'll be really interested how Denver do. They have all the other things locked down to be successful, but without a top QB they may struggle in that division.

KC will continue to improve and I like the look of Oakland. Could be a quality division race in the AFC West this year.

I get the impression that the QB's doing well in college are not what the NFL are looking for. It seems as if college football and NFL football are now two different sports in the QB postion. Many come from college after ripping it up and then in the NFL they look totally lost and incapable of making the transition.
    Sad, as it does make the NFL less exciting if the QB's are not able to perform well (new ones). I guess any team with a mature QB will be at the SB..
    Re 49ers the QB situation is a mess. CK I think has tried to divert his poor performances by using this National Anthem debate. If and when he gets cut he can use it as a reason why he was cut. Rightly or wrongly he won't win many friends not standing for their national tune...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I get the impression that the QB's doing well in college are not what the NFL are looking for. It seems as if college football and NFL football are now two different sports in the QB postion. Many come from college after ripping it up and then in the NFL they look totally lost and incapable of making the transition.
    Sad, as it does make the NFL less exciting if the QB's are not able to perform well (new ones). I guess any team with a mature QB will be at the SB..
    Re 49ers the QB situation is a mess. CK I think has tried to divert his poor performances by using this National Anthem debate. If and when he gets cut he can use it as a reason why he was cut. Rightly or wrongly he won't win many friends not standing for their national tune...
    This is why I see Miami sticking with Tannehill. I agree with Saint from Bury above that he's never going to be great but as the top QBs retire, there's a total dearth of even decent QBs knocking about, meaning a mature experienced NFL QB gives you a chance. The likes of Luck and Rodgers could absolutely clean up as Brady and Big Ben disappear.

What about Russell Wilson SS? Not top tier in your opinion?

He's always had his critics but I've watched him make plays that no one else in the league could

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

What about Russell Wilson SS? Not top tier in your opinion?

He's always had his critics but I've watched him make plays that no one else in the league could
    Sorry pal, yes absolutely Russell Wilson. He totally slipped my mind. Whilst I'm not sure he's a Rodgers (possibly even a Luck), he's better than Tannehill and will have Seattle there or thereabouts consistently. Definitely a top end QB. That defense and running game hasn't half made his transition to the NFL a comfortable one though, it has to be acknowledged.

I think the injury to Romo highlights the discussion on here. I've always thought that he had flaws and wasn't elite, but you look at the NFL in 2016 and you have to say that a fully fit Romo takes Dallas into the play-offs. He is now one of these solid veteran QBs who if fit would win them far more than he would cost them, and with the way they've built the key components of that team he could conceivably put up MVP numbers over a full season.

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

I've got two empty places to fill in a fantasy league that I've set up (not the Redvee one) - it's drafting tonight at 9pm on NFL.com if anyone can help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet