Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016 Season

Browns sensibly backing RG3 and will now be able to build over the next couple of years. I thoroughly expect them not and remain a factory of sadness.

Eagles clearly wanted Wentz (Goff appears to be LAs preferred Q.

Looking like Josh Norman could be playing for someone else come the new season. Panthers have rescinded his franchise tag

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Looking like Josh Norman could be playing for someone else come the new season. Panthers have rescinded his franchise tag
    49ers have the cap space, and Norman has previously stated Cali is an appealing prospect to him.

Panthers GM doesn't want to pay for corners, would rather put the money in the trenches, which is a policy I understand (Brandon Carr at Dallas being a prime example). So between them and Norman wanting 21st and Prime money, he can go somewhere that will pay it.

Learning All The Songs

Just read about Norman. WOW.
    Now theres a player i'd like Packers to break the mould and go for.

If anyones wondering why i'm messaging at this time of the morning, i got in late from Saints as an emotional wreck, armed with red wine and the NHL playoffs are on
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Just read about Norman. WOW.
    Now theres a player i'd like Packers to break the mould and go for.

If anyones wondering why i'm messaging at this time of the morning, i got in late from Saints as an emotional wreck, armed with red wine and the NHL playoffs are on
    Signed 5 years with the Redskins for $75m. Great deal for him, but that money for a 28 year old is a bit of a risk in my opinion. Redskins going for a win now approach.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Signed 5 years with the Redskins for $75m. Great deal for him, but that money for a 28 year old is a bit of a risk in my opinion. Redskins going for a win now approach.
    I read that after i posted. Thats weakened Panthers which is a good think from a Packers NFC title hopes.
    Not overly surprised at Redskins spending big after making the playoffs last season.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Default NFL 2016 Season

Hello! I'd missed the start of this thread....doesn't really feel like there's been any drop of with activity in the game with all the free agency, fixtures and build up to draft.
    With the fixtures for me from a selfish pov I'm happy to be 'ignored' as the majority of games are the early Sunday start which is good in the UK!

Norman leaving doesn't really surprise me, our GM Gettleman has said from day 1 that we build from the front 7 and his belief is a strong front makes an average secondary look a good secondary. Norman wanted paying at keuchly levels and that was never going to happen. The 2 main reasons being his age, I'm sure there are little to no cornerbacks playing beyond 32 so Norman at 28 isn't far off reaching what you'd call a sell by date. A 5 year deal at 15m would be difficult to stretch to and out offer of 4 @ 11m shows you where the front office see he was at. In saying that he doesn't have much on the clock, he's really just come out of his first full season as a starter and so he's not got too many miles in his legs, that though brings you onto the 2nd point - experience. Last season he was outstanding, no doubt about it but it's just 1 year, he'll need to have another at that level to be in the same category as your elite corners and that's another reason I don't think we've gone big for him. Finally as mentioned above our GM focuses on the front 7, we've got lotululei, Short & Ealy looking at big deals soon and the cap space we have should allow for us to keep them.
    Don't get me wrong I'm sad to see him go because he's a character but I understand the reasoning. It's I guess one of the things that come with a bit of success too, you have players able to demand more and retaining every player isn't possible. It does mean though that we've now all got 2 installments of the Norman Beckham shenanigans to 'look forward' to. There's still bad blood there and the fact they're now divisional rivals will only add to that!
    Draft - well for us drafting at 30 we're not in the mix for the elite prospects but there are plenty I like. Our needs are DE, OT & CB really and I'd like to see us get one of Dodd or Ogbah, they look like good fits for us at DE but I expect Dodd may go earlier leaving Ogbah. We will under Gettleman always go BPA so whilst it's good to look at what we need it could go anyway. If there was any chance we'd trade up then the two targets for me would be Bosa and Ramsey. depending on what the first 29 picks throw up!
    In terms of players I like that we won't be going for, Ezekiel Elliot is my favorite player in the draft. He'll come in and make a difference to an offense from day 1, the Dolphins look a good fit for him but they would then have a pretty inexperienced pair with Ajayi there too.
    Can't wait for the draft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    I read that after i posted. Thats weakened Panthers which is a good think from a Packers NFC title hopes.
    Not overly surprised at Redskins spending big after making the playoffs last season.
    Great signing by the Redskins as the secondary needed genuine quality. With Breeland, Norman and Culliver in there, the corners look sorted (though the latter may be off loaded). For the Panthers I think TSS has covered the main points. The Panthers just weren't committed to the type of money demanded given they prioritise the front 7. Only thing I'd add is that the likes of Darrell Green played to 42 (and was still faster than most of the WR's) so it all depends what type of athlete Norman is to predict his 'sell by date.'

As the Redskins are committed build through the draft, I imagine McLoughan sanctioned this signing. The Redskins have generally been quiet the last 3 seasons in free trade/pre season (thank goodness) but have snaffled 1 high profile player during it: Desean Jackson, Junior Gallette and now Josh Norman.

FWIW I think the Redskins will trade down from 21 in the draft for extra picks and try to build at defensive line, inside linebacker, center and running back (in that order).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

So the Brady saga continues. The NFL has won its appeal against the quashing of the four game ban, so the ban is still in force and will mean Brady misses the first 4 games of the 2016 season. Or will that be appealed? I reckon it'll go on and on, and a 55 year old Brady will eventually decide to take the 4 game ban 15 years after he retires, just to end the whole thing. If the ban stands New England's first four games that he'll miss are...

at Arizona
    MIAMI
    HOUSTON
    BUFFALO

Three home games, but Houston should be thinking they should win at Foxboro without Brady, and of course Arizona should beat them at home. It's up to Miami and Buffalo to step up and make things interesting. If one of them does so then NE could start 1-3, but bare minimum they will be 2-2 for me. In the AFC East you think that isn't so bad. NBC and CBS will be spitting feathers however, because they picked the games in Week 1 and 3 because they looked like marquee games (Arizona is the Sunday night game, Houston the Thursday night game), but without Brady they could both end up pretty one-sided. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    So the Brady saga continues. The NFL has won its appeal against the quashing of the four game ban, so the ban is still in force and will mean Brady misses the first 4 games of the 2016 season. Or will that be appealed? I reckon it'll go on and on, and a 55 year old Brady will eventually decide to take the 4 game ban 15 years after he retires, just to end the whole thing. If the ban stands New England's first four games that he'll miss are...

at Arizona
    MIAMI
    HOUSTON
    BUFFALO

Three home games, but Houston should be thinking they should win at Foxboro without Brady, and of course Arizona should beat them at home. It's up to Miami and Buffalo to step up and make things interesting. If one of them does so then NE could start 1-3, but bare minimum they will be 2-2 for me. In the AFC East you think that isn't so bad. NBC and CBS will be spitting feathers however, because they picked the games in Week 1 and 3 because they looked like marquee games (Arizona is the Sunday night game, Houston the Thursday night game), but without Brady they could both end up pretty one-sided. We'll see.
    What an absolute farce

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

One of the best days in football today, I love reading all the news and gossip about players rising and falling on draft boards....if we weren't picking at 30 I'd be tempted to stay up for it!
    Haven't a clue now who we're going for, some talk about looking at a db in rd1 but I don't see that happening. I still see us looking at one of the DE's I mentioned earlier - Dodd or Ogbah. Depending on what the talk is about Denver wanting to do there's also a chance we trade back 2 places to give the Browns the shot at a qb ahead of Denver, that scenario would maybe see us pick up another decent pick from them but not really lose out on anybody as 30 & 31 would go qb leaving us to grab whoever we have our eye on at 32.
    Love the drama

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    One of the best days in football today, I love reading all the news and gossip about players rising and falling on draft boards....if we weren't picking at 30 I'd be tempted to stay up for it!
    Haven't a clue now who we're going for, some talk about looking at a db in rd1 but I don't see that happening. I still see us looking at one of the DE's I mentioned earlier - Dodd or Ogbah. Depending on what the talk is about Denver wanting to do there's also a chance we trade back 2 places to give the Browns the shot at a qb ahead of Denver, that scenario would maybe see us pick up another decent pick from them but not really lose out on anybody as 30 & 31 would go qb leaving us to grab whoever we have our eye on at 32.
    Love the drama
    It's one of the things they do ridiculously well, in that completely over the top way the NFL do. Again, like you, I'd love to stay up but watching LA, Jacksonville etc pick up star recruits whilst waiting 2 hours to see Green Bay pick up a DE from Boise State is not worth the lousiness I'll feel in work tomorrow. It's definitely one of those I get up half an hour earlier for and read all the news about before I set off for work though.

PS - The season starts 19 weeks today!

Who's career are the Browns going to ruin before it's even started?

Well as yet not looked at draft. I always keep away from it during the chat before it all happens as to be honest it bores me a bit. I will look at what SF and GB got later, but TBH I don't really know the college scene so won't have much idea if the players will be good or not.
    Watching Sky yesterday doing all day run of Drafts from the past shows how many top drafts don't turn into much, so guess it's all a bit like putting a pin in a chart sort of thing.
    As an aside, just booking a US trip in November to see Patriots v Jets (Sunday) and Packers v Eagles (Monday). Staying in New York for a few days to do the tourist bit. Should be fun. Hoping to do a SF game later in season.
    Looking forward to the season starting..

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    As an aside, just booking a US trip in November to see Patriots v Jets (Sunday) and Packers v Eagles (Monday). Staying in New York for a few days to do the tourist bit. Should be fun.
    Fantastic couple of games there. NE-NYJ will be rocking under the lights on the Sunday night, and the MNF will be good in Philly. Good picks. Although, Philly is one of the few places were it's maybe not wise to rub the home fans noses in it too much if GB win!

Draft thoughts. Laremy Tunsil, what an idiot, and he still gets drafted 13th. Miami keeping to their commitment to bring in every idiot they possibly can there!

Jared Goff was always the best looking QB in the draft for me, and whilst I thought he may end up in SF he obviously winds up in LA now. Good move for him and them. He's a California boy, will adapt well, and will hopefully be given a bit of time to develop there. He is lucky that he has Gurley to hand it off to as well.

Ezekiel Elliott going to Dallas, great move for them. A good runner, ate up yards at Ohio State, won a National title there in 2014-15 and will give them a real good running threat. Will complement Romo and give them a lot more balance.

Paxton Lynch to Denver. Not sure about this one, and I think it's a stretch to say he is the long term QB answer for the Broncos. Really interested in that whole Denver QB drama that is unfolding. Sanchez is never the answer, neither is Kaepernick, neither is Bradford (although he is the best of the three). Lynch looks like a move of desperation.

Kenny Clark to Green Bay. Sensible as ever from the Packers. BJ Raji is a big hole to fill (in every way!) and we needed competition at DT. He is a good option, so I'm happy with it. When you get the 27th pick it's never going to be dramatic, but Green Bay never really pick bad ones, and this continues here.

Seattle did exactly what they needed to and drafted an offensive lineman first up. With a stack of picks left it's going to be interesting for Hawks fans

49ers take.

Stanford guard Joshua Garnett largely considered one of the best, if not the best, guards in the entire 2016 NFL Draft.
    AND
    DeForest Buckner defensive lineman from the University of Oregon.

Anyone with knowledge of these players could let me know what they think. Write ups seem quite positive.

Learning All The Songs

So Eagles really have shown Bradford what they think by trading up!

Gray-any info/opinion on our new DT?

Well dipping into some NFL sites it looks like we (49ers) will be keeping our marmite QB - Colin Kap...
    In a way I am glad as I do think with the right system and maybe a realisation that after last year he now knows he is not a superstar (yet).

Bet you 49ers fans would take Alex Smith back now eh! But back when Kaepernick was the hot item Smith was dumped to the kerb. He is easily an upgrade on any available option SF have right now.

Carolina stuck to their bpa approach snd strengthened a strength with Butler. I can't really argue given gettlemans recent history and I guess the way I look at it is no matter how much I think I know who we should get, there are staff watching endless hours of tape making these decisions.

Bosa going at 3 was a surprise and Tunsil falling only to 13 is also a surprise given the timing of the gas mask stuff.

Intriguing night ahead with Myles Jack being the one everybody will watch closely, there's a very good chance he's taken off the board at 32. There's talk about Carolina being keen on Prescott, I'd be gutted if we went for a qb in 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Fantastic couple of games there. NE-NYJ will be rocking under the lights on the Sunday night, and the MNF will be good in Philly. Good picks. Although, Philly is one of the few places were it's maybe not wise to rub the home fans noses in it too much if GB win!
    Ha..you can see I am influenced by my wife who is the big GB fan (but I did not complain when she picked these games). I might go to the Philly game dressed in 49er gear

Re Colin Kap..I am just being hopeful. I have never been a fan and as said, letting Smith go was a big mistake.
    As positive as I try to be, I see another transition year for SF.

This is the most bizarre NFL statement I have read...

'The NFL has warned players that some meat produced in China and Mexico may be contaminated with clenbuterol, a banned steroid. In a memo sent out by the league office, the NFL warned players that consuming large quantities of meat while visiting those countries may result in a positive test for clenbuterol. The memo asked the players to "please take caution if you decide to consume meat, and understand that you do so at your own risk."

Makes me glad I am a vegetarian

See SF are building for the future...NOT... Desperate Measures...

'The 49ers re-signed inside linebacker Michael Wilhoite to a one-year deal Wednesday.
    In the absence of the retired Patrick Willis and Chris Borland last season, Wilhoite started all 12 games, tallying 86 tackles and an interception.
    But according to Pro Football Focus, Wilhoite graded out as the team's worst defender last season with a minus-16.5 mark.
    The 49ers didn't use a pick on an inside linebacker in last week's draft.'

I know stats ain't everything (hence my moans when they come up on RL forum) but it's not that inspiring. I just hope he is a slow burner and grabs his chance.