Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016 Season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Default NFL 2016 Season

Out with the old, in with the new.

The 2016 Schedule is released next week (not sure what date yet!) and the 2016 Draft is only 2 weeks away. So, even though we have no games for another 4 months until the pre-season kicks in, we'll have loads to discuss in the next few weeks. So, all in here please. And hopefully this thread will be as brilliant as it was last season.

As requested, here we all are, oldies and newbies, and the teams we follow.

Gray77 (me) - Green Bay
    Retro74 - Seattle
    Talk some sense! - Carolina
    SS - Miami
    bazdev - NY Giants
    49er - San Francisco
    Vaughany - Green Bay
    Stephen07 - San Francisco
    eddiewaringsflatcap - Washington
    SaintsLatic - NY Jets (welcome!)

I will update this for all newbies on this thread. All are welcome.
    Last edited by Gray77; 14th April 2016 at 14:48.

Would be great to get a reminder of who everyone support and add it your first post in the thread Gray

I'm a Seattle supporter

Hopefully some new people will join as we go along. New fans are always welcome in the NFL threads

Also not sure if I mentioned it previously I'm going to watch the Redskins Bengals this year

Sorted, although 49er needs to let us know who he's following this year.
    Last edited by Gray77; 13th April 2016 at 17:09.

Greencisco Patriots probably!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    :-)

Good work pal opening a new thread.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Ok. I will always be a 49er fan as I have followed them since late 1970's..(hoping they do a Wakefield in the coming season).
    However as most will know after a visit to see the Packers (my wife's team) v Patriots in the depth of winter I was truly taken in by the whole Cheesehead thing. The best sporting experience to date.
    But to answer the question when the 49ers play GB I want the 9ers to win.

Schedule will be released today (will be past midnight for us though)

We play the AFC East this year. Probably the pick for us is the Super Bowl 49 rematch with the Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Schedule will be released today (will be past midnight for us though)

We play the AFC East this year. Probably the pick for us is the Super Bowl 49 rematch with the Patriots
    I am a complete nerd for the schedule release, I love it. I love seeing who is playing on the Sunday Night NBC games (as I love Michaels and Collingsworth), I love finding out how many 'early' and 'late' games Green Bay have, and how many prime time games we have. And, I love seeing who plays Thanksgiving Day against Detroit and Dallas. Unlike with so many other sports, the schedule is the schedule, all sorted for TV and so what you see is what you will get. It is also a clear indication of how the US Networks view each teams chances this year. If your team is picked to play a few SNF games and is scheduled in a few 9:40pm UK games on Fox then that means the networks fancy you to do something. If you are stuck in loads of 6pm UK slots and hardly any prime time games then the networks fancy you to do nothing.

Oh I know you were teasing.. I deserve it..could have been worse I could have gone to Wigan and come away following both them and Saints..

I guess with your theory/ knowledge of schedules the 49ers will have a lot of 6pm games..

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Ok. I will always be a 49er fan as I have followed them since late 1970's..(hoping they do a Wakefield in the coming season).
    However as most will know after a visit to see the Packers (my wife's team) v Patriots in the depth of winter I was truly taken in by the whole Cheesehead thing. The best sporting experience to date.
    But to answer the question when the 49ers play GB I want the 9ers to win.
    Just teasing pal.

Banned

Out with the old, in with the new.

The 2016 Schedule is released next week (not sure what date yet!) and the 2016 Draft is only 2 weeks away. So, even though we have no games for another 4 months until the pre-season kicks in, we'll have loads to discuss in the next few weeks. So, all in here please. And hopefully this thread will be as brilliant as it was last season.

As requested, some of the regulars on here are listed below, and the teams they follow (some are more obvious than others )...

Gray77 (me) - Green Bay
    Retro74 - Seattle
    Talk some sense! - Carolina
    SS - Miami
    bazdev - NY Giants
    49er - San Francisco
    Vaughany - Green Bay
    Stephen07 - San Francisco

Others pop in and out at various times, but us 8 are the regulars on here.
    Me = Redskins. Not able to post in here as much as the others though

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Me = Redskins. Not able to post in here as much as the others though
    I had you in my original list as a Washington fan but then removed it because I know you don't frequent this thread too often and I didn't want it to look like I was pressuring the 'casuals' to become regulars on here.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Default NFL 2016 Season

Hello! I'd missed the start of this thread....doesn't really feel like there's been any drop of with activity in the game with all the free agency, fixtures and build up to draft.
    With the fixtures for me from a selfish pov I'm happy to be 'ignored' as the majority of games are the early Sunday start which is good in the UK!

Norman leaving doesn't really surprise me, our GM Gettleman has said from day 1 that we build from the front 7 and his belief is a strong front makes an average secondary look a good secondary. Norman wanted paying at keuchly levels and that was never going to happen. The 2 main reasons being his age, I'm sure there are little to no cornerbacks playing beyond 32 so Norman at 28 isn't far off reaching what you'd call a sell by date. A 5 year deal at 15m would be difficult to stretch to and out offer of 4 @ 11m shows you where the front office see he was at. In saying that he doesn't have much on the clock, he's really just come out of his first full season as a starter and so he's not got too many miles in his legs, that though brings you onto the 2nd point - experience. Last season he was outstanding, no doubt about it but it's just 1 year, he'll need to have another at that level to be in the same category as your elite corners and that's another reason I don't think we've gone big for him. Finally as mentioned above our GM focuses on the front 7, we've got lotululei, Short & Ealy looking at big deals soon and the cap space we have should allow for us to keep them.
    Don't get me wrong I'm sad to see him go because he's a character but I understand the reasoning. It's I guess one of the things that come with a bit of success too, you have players able to demand more and retaining every player isn't possible. It does mean though that we've now all got 2 installments of the Norman Beckham shenanigans to 'look forward' to. There's still bad blood there and the fact they're now divisional rivals will only add to that!
    Draft - well for us drafting at 30 we're not in the mix for the elite prospects but there are plenty I like. Our needs are DE, OT & CB really and I'd like to see us get one of Dodd or Ogbah, they look like good fits for us at DE but I expect Dodd may go earlier leaving Ogbah. We will under Gettleman always go BPA so whilst it's good to look at what we need it could go anyway. If there was any chance we'd trade up then the two targets for me would be Bosa and Ramsey. depending on what the first 29 picks throw up!
    In terms of players I like that we won't be going for, Ezekiel Elliot is my favorite player in the draft. He'll come in and make a difference to an offense from day 1, the Dolphins look a good fit for him but they would then have a pretty inexperienced pair with Ajayi there too.
    Can't wait for the draft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

One of the best days in football today, I love reading all the news and gossip about players rising and falling on draft boards....if we weren't picking at 30 I'd be tempted to stay up for it!
    Haven't a clue now who we're going for, some talk about looking at a db in rd1 but I don't see that happening. I still see us looking at one of the DE's I mentioned earlier - Dodd or Ogbah. Depending on what the talk is about Denver wanting to do there's also a chance we trade back 2 places to give the Browns the shot at a qb ahead of Denver, that scenario would maybe see us pick up another decent pick from them but not really lose out on anybody as 30 & 31 would go qb leaving us to grab whoever we have our eye on at 32.
    Love the drama

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    One of the best days in football today, I love reading all the news and gossip about players rising and falling on draft boards....if we weren't picking at 30 I'd be tempted to stay up for it!
    Haven't a clue now who we're going for, some talk about looking at a db in rd1 but I don't see that happening. I still see us looking at one of the DE's I mentioned earlier - Dodd or Ogbah. Depending on what the talk is about Denver wanting to do there's also a chance we trade back 2 places to give the Browns the shot at a qb ahead of Denver, that scenario would maybe see us pick up another decent pick from them but not really lose out on anybody as 30 & 31 would go qb leaving us to grab whoever we have our eye on at 32.
    Love the drama
    It's one of the things they do ridiculously well, in that completely over the top way the NFL do. Again, like you, I'd love to stay up but watching LA, Jacksonville etc pick up star recruits whilst waiting 2 hours to see Green Bay pick up a DE from Boise State is not worth the lousiness I'll feel in work tomorrow. It's definitely one of those I get up half an hour earlier for and read all the news about before I set off for work though.

PS - The season starts 19 weeks today!

Who's career are the Browns going to ruin before it's even started?

Well as yet not looked at draft. I always keep away from it during the chat before it all happens as to be honest it bores me a bit. I will look at what SF and GB got later, but TBH I don't really know the college scene so won't have much idea if the players will be good or not.
    Watching Sky yesterday doing all day run of Drafts from the past shows how many top drafts don't turn into much, so guess it's all a bit like putting a pin in a chart sort of thing.
    As an aside, just booking a US trip in November to see Patriots v Jets (Sunday) and Packers v Eagles (Monday). Staying in New York for a few days to do the tourist bit. Should be fun. Hoping to do a SF game later in season.
    Looking forward to the season starting..

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    As an aside, just booking a US trip in November to see Patriots v Jets (Sunday) and Packers v Eagles (Monday). Staying in New York for a few days to do the tourist bit. Should be fun.
    Fantastic couple of games there. NE-NYJ will be rocking under the lights on the Sunday night, and the MNF will be good in Philly. Good picks. Although, Philly is one of the few places were it's maybe not wise to rub the home fans noses in it too much if GB win!

Draft thoughts. Laremy Tunsil, what an idiot, and he still gets drafted 13th. Miami keeping to their commitment to bring in every idiot they possibly can there!

Jared Goff was always the best looking QB in the draft for me, and whilst I thought he may end up in SF he obviously winds up in LA now. Good move for him and them. He's a California boy, will adapt well, and will hopefully be given a bit of time to develop there. He is lucky that he has Gurley to hand it off to as well.

Ezekiel Elliott going to Dallas, great move for them. A good runner, ate up yards at Ohio State, won a National title there in 2014-15 and will give them a real good running threat. Will complement Romo and give them a lot more balance.

Paxton Lynch to Denver. Not sure about this one, and I think it's a stretch to say he is the long term QB answer for the Broncos. Really interested in that whole Denver QB drama that is unfolding. Sanchez is never the answer, neither is Kaepernick, neither is Bradford (although he is the best of the three). Lynch looks like a move of desperation.

Kenny Clark to Green Bay. Sensible as ever from the Packers. BJ Raji is a big hole to fill (in every way!) and we needed competition at DT. He is a good option, so I'm happy with it. When you get the 27th pick it's never going to be dramatic, but Green Bay never really pick bad ones, and this continues here.

Carolina stuck to their bpa approach snd strengthened a strength with Butler. I can't really argue given gettlemans recent history and I guess the way I look at it is no matter how much I think I know who we should get, there are staff watching endless hours of tape making these decisions.

Bosa going at 3 was a surprise and Tunsil falling only to 13 is also a surprise given the timing of the gas mask stuff.

Intriguing night ahead with Myles Jack being the one everybody will watch closely, there's a very good chance he's taken off the board at 32. There's talk about Carolina being keen on Prescott, I'd be gutted if we went for a qb in 2 or 3.

Imagine how many points Parra would have been docked if they were still having to pay Hayne as well! 😉

Not strictly NFL, but still. Oregon once again leading the way in bat guano crazy/cool (depending on your stand point) ideas

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.d...&DB_OEM_ID=500

Six weeks today until the Regular Season Kick Off Game.

Only ten days until the Hall of Fame Game between Green Bay and Indianapolis kicks off the pre season.

Where did the off season go?!

We'll have to open a new thread soon and start with the traditional predictions

Probably need a new football (Premier League) thread too

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    We'll have to open a new thread soon and start with the traditional predictions

Probably need a new football (Premier League) thread too
    Nelsons done his other knee but Packers seem to be fairly quiet on if its serious or not. Yikes.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.