Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2016 Season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Default NFL 2016 Season

Out with the old, in with the new.

The 2016 Schedule is released next week (not sure what date yet!) and the 2016 Draft is only 2 weeks away. So, even though we have no games for another 4 months until the pre-season kicks in, we'll have loads to discuss in the next few weeks. So, all in here please. And hopefully this thread will be as brilliant as it was last season.

As requested, here we all are, oldies and newbies, and the teams we follow.

Gray77 (me) - Green Bay
    Retro74 - Seattle
    Talk some sense! - Carolina
    SS - Miami
    bazdev - NY Giants
    49er - San Francisco
    Vaughany - Green Bay
    Stephen07 - San Francisco
    eddiewaringsflatcap - Washington
    SaintsLatic - NY Jets (welcome!)

I will update this for all newbies on this thread. All are welcome.
    Last edited by Gray77; 14th April 2016 at 14:48.

Would be great to get a reminder of who everyone support and add it your first post in the thread Gray

I'm a Seattle supporter

Hopefully some new people will join as we go along. New fans are always welcome in the NFL threads

Also not sure if I mentioned it previously I'm going to watch the Redskins Bengals this year

Sorted, although 49er needs to let us know who he's following this year.
    Last edited by Gray77; 13th April 2016 at 17:09.

Greencisco Patriots probably!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    :-)

Good work pal opening a new thread.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Ok. I will always be a 49er fan as I have followed them since late 1970's..(hoping they do a Wakefield in the coming season).
    However as most will know after a visit to see the Packers (my wife's team) v Patriots in the depth of winter I was truly taken in by the whole Cheesehead thing. The best sporting experience to date.
    But to answer the question when the 49ers play GB I want the 9ers to win.

Schedule will be released today (will be past midnight for us though)

We play the AFC East this year. Probably the pick for us is the Super Bowl 49 rematch with the Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Ok. I will always be a 49er fan as I have followed them since late 1970's..(hoping they do a Wakefield in the coming season).
    However as most will know after a visit to see the Packers (my wife's team) v Patriots in the depth of winter I was truly taken in by the whole Cheesehead thing. The best sporting experience to date.
    But to answer the question when the 49ers play GB I want the 9ers to win.
    Just teasing pal.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Schedule will be released today (will be past midnight for us though)

We play the AFC East this year. Probably the pick for us is the Super Bowl 49 rematch with the Patriots
    I am a complete nerd for the schedule release, I love it. I love seeing who is playing on the Sunday Night NBC games (as I love Michaels and Collingsworth), I love finding out how many 'early' and 'late' games Green Bay have, and how many prime time games we have. And, I love seeing who plays Thanksgiving Day against Detroit and Dallas. Unlike with so many other sports, the schedule is the schedule, all sorted for TV and so what you see is what you will get. It is also a clear indication of how the US Networks view each teams chances this year. If your team is picked to play a few SNF games and is scheduled in a few 9:40pm UK games on Fox then that means the networks fancy you to do something. If you are stuck in loads of 6pm UK slots and hardly any prime time games then the networks fancy you to do nothing.

Oh I know you were teasing.. I deserve it..could have been worse I could have gone to Wigan and come away following both them and Saints..

I guess with your theory/ knowledge of schedules the 49ers will have a lot of 6pm games..

Oh I know you were teasing.. I deserve it..could have been worse I could have gone to Wigan and come away following both them and Saints..

I guess with your theory/ knowledge of schedules the 49ers will have a lot of 6pm games..
    West Coast teams are the anomaly. Only 5 of your 16 games can be in the 6pm UK slot.

Banned

Out with the old, in with the new.

The 2016 Schedule is released next week (not sure what date yet!) and the 2016 Draft is only 2 weeks away. So, even though we have no games for another 4 months until the pre-season kicks in, we'll have loads to discuss in the next few weeks. So, all in here please. And hopefully this thread will be as brilliant as it was last season.

As requested, some of the regulars on here are listed below, and the teams they follow (some are more obvious than others )...

Gray77 (me) - Green Bay
    Retro74 - Seattle
    Talk some sense! - Carolina
    SS - Miami
    bazdev - NY Giants
    49er - San Francisco
    Vaughany - Green Bay
    Stephen07 - San Francisco

Others pop in and out at various times, but us 8 are the regulars on here.
    Me = Redskins. Not able to post in here as much as the others though

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Me = Redskins. Not able to post in here as much as the others though
    I had you in my original list as a Washington fan but then removed it because I know you don't frequent this thread too often and I didn't want it to look like I was pressuring the 'casuals' to become regulars on here.

West Coast teams are the anomaly. Only 5 of your 16 games can be in the 6pm UK slot.
    That means even less time for 9ers on TV . hoping to catch a real 9ers game this season as well as another GB one, in between the three UK games.

That means even less time for 9ers on TV . hoping to catch a real 9ers game this season as well as another GB one, in between the three UK games.
    Your 8 home games (if none are selected for TNF, SNF or MNF) will be either at 9:05pm or 9:40pm UK time. 3 of your road games (LA, Arizona, Seattle) will be the same for the same reason, unless any of them are picked for a prime time slot. You do have a road game in Chicago which might work out well for you if you want to head up to Green Bay.

Noooobie

Hoping to get on here more next season. Only just joined a couple of months ago after the season had finish.

Somehow ended up a NY Jets fan.

Only started watching it at the beginning of last season but was gripped by the time we missed out in Buffalo!

Looking forward to the new season.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsLatic View Post
    Hoping to get on here more next season. Only just joined a couple of months ago after the season had finish.

Somehow ended up a NY Jets fan.

Only started watching it at the beginning of last season but was gripped by the time we missed out in Buffalo!

Looking forward to the new season.
    Welcome aboard. I have updated the OP with your name and team, and will continue to do so for a while for anyone else who wishes to hop on board.

The Rams have traded up for the Titan's overall #1 draft pick. Must be going with a rookie QB in 2016

I don't know the college game well either but all the updates I've been getting from various sources talk about Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch. From what I've read on them Lynch is always 3rd on the list but sounds like the best one for the NFL

Gray knows a lot about college football though so could give more detail

It's a real non-flair position draft this year. Not an elite year for QBs, RBs or WRs at all. Jared Goff had a good year for Cal. He's a California boy and seems likely to end up at the 49ers. That would be a great fit for both I reckon. Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz for me are further down the list, simply because they played at a slightly lower level at Memphis and North Dakota State and so their stats are better than they maybe would have been if they'd been playing in a power conference like Goff was.

So, the schedule is out. First thing I noticed was obviously Carolina at Denver to kick it off. I thought they'd hold that game off for it to be later in the season, but the NFL and NBC obviously want the season to kick off with a bang. From a Carolina point of view (following on from what I said earlier in the week) I expected them to be in loads of 'prime time' games this season with their new reputation as an elite team. However, they aren't. The NBC Sunday Night game (1:30am our time) is the marquee game of the week in America, and they've only been selected once to play on a Sunday night at Seattle in Week 13. That, combined with their SB rematch with Denver being pushed to W1 makes me think that there are some doubts about whether Carolina will be as good this season. I disagree with that theory, but for a 15-1 NFC Champion to be so ignored by the NFL and the networks is telling.

Green Bay have an absolutely mad schedule, it is totally unbalanced. It goes A-A-H-H-H-H-A-H-A-A-A-H-H-A-H-A. So, 2 on the road to start, then a 4 game home stretch, with another 3 game road stretch in mid season then 2 at home back to back later on. Very weird. But, all of our games are in the Eastern or Central time zones, and I think the furthest West we have to travel is the short trek to Minnesota in W2, so no massive travelling, no real time zone changes, and no short weeks after long flights home. I look at the schedule and think it is easily a 12-4 type season. The lack of travelling is a huge advantage, when compared to the likes of Seattle who have mammoth road journeys to New York, New Orleans, New England and Tampa Bay.

Thankfully Seattle have a bye after one of those trips. Overall though our schedule looks quite favourable, tough trips to GB and NE but other than that pretty manageable

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Thankfully Seattle have a bye after one of those trips. Overall though our schedule looks quite favourable, tough trips to GB and NE but other than that pretty manageable
    Well, you do it every year I suppose so it's nothing new for teams like Seattle. You get rid of a trip to St Louis for a trip to LA which is in the same timezone, and you only have one road game in the 'early' slot at New Orleans, which usually screw the West Coast teams as it's still 10am for them bodyclock wise. But talent wise you have enough to be rolling through that schedule and getting 12 wins for me.

I think we have 2 "10am" games, NYJ and NO

As you say though we are used to travel but we're very slow starters in those games - for example Carolina last year

Learning All The Songs
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.