Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ashes Series 2015

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Default The Ashes Series 2015

Thought I'd start this here as I remember some of us got a good thread going during the last series.

Predictions before we begin

Result - England 2 Australia 2
    Top Run-Scorer - Steve Smith
    Most Wickets - Mitchell Starc
    Player of the Series - Michael Clarke

That all sounds fairly predictable I know, but I think Australia's top players stand out both in their batting and bowling line-ups. I just feel they have a little bit too much for England to win this series, but I do feel that England will grow as the series goes along and they may pull the series back after the Aussies have already retained the Ashes.

England have won the toss and have elected to bat

I expect to hear the clatter of wickets quite regularly this morning. I don't think this England side is prepared enough mentally vs Aus. Hopefully their positivity vs NZ will help with that

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Excellent thread, Gray.

My tuppence, don't think either batting line up is particularly frightening. A series entirely based on the quality of the seam bowling attacks. England's have been totally played down. The truth for me is none of their seamers have proven themselves in the same class as Anderson or Broad in English conditions. Johnson's lengths over here have to be fuller which reduces him a tad for me. He's got to get his inswinger to the right handers going over here IMO. I don't think relying on his pace will have the same impact here. Starc is the big threat, swinging it both ways as a left arm over is a scary proposition. Spinners both neither here nor there. Hazlewood is very highly rated and could be superb here as he's a traditional line and length bowler.

For England to have a chance, I believe Cook has to have a brilliant series. That top four of Cook, Lyth, Ballance and Bell looks massively vulnerable if Cook doesn't get going. I fancy Cook has to score 300+ runs in the series for us to win.

England 1 Australia 2
    Top scorer - Michael Clarke
    Wickets - Anderson
    Player of the Series - Michael Clarke

Just to add, with us winning the toss, the series can't be won today but it can be lost. If we get blown away today and they roll us, this series is effectively dead already IMHO. England need to be 250ish for no more than 6 today I fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    For England to have a chance, I believe Cook has to have a brilliant series. That top four of Cook, Lyth, Ballance and Bell looks massively vulnerable if Cook doesn't get going. I fancy Cook has to score 300+ runs in the series for us to win.

Just to add, with us winning the toss, the series can't be won today but it can be lost. If we get blown away today and they roll us, this series is effectively dead already IMHO. England need to be 250ish for no more than 6 today I fancy.
    On those two points. 300+ runs in 10 innings should be well within Cook's aims I reckon. For me he has to get at least a couple of centuries and probably needs to be getting closer to 500.

As for today, 250-6 would not worry the Aussies in my opinion. They have the confidence and momentum to be happy going in sometime tomorrow chasing 350 and for me England need to make a statement and get over 400 in the first innings.

And, then that happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    On those two points. 300+ runs in 10 innings should be well within Cook's aims I reckon. For me he has to get at least a couple of centuries and probably needs to be getting closer to 500.

As for today, 250-6 would not worry the Aussies in my opinion. They have the confidence and momentum to be happy going in sometime tomorrow chasing 350 and for me England need to make a statement and get over 400 in the first innings.

And, then that happens!

I didn't want to put expectations too high to be honest. If Cook scores 500+ runs, then I'd bet we win the series. Cricket is a simple game - if you can rack 500 up first innings, then you're a) not going to lose and b) highly likely to win.

If Cook averages 50+ then England will be putting big scores up. If they do that, this Aussie batting line up isn't up to standing that kind of pressure IMHO.

Good signs early here though. Johnson is bowling fuller and so far, we look okay against him. Starc couldn't find his line and Hazlewood, despite his wicket, was expensive. People have compared him to McGrath but I don't recall McGrath going at 5.5 runs an over in his first spell too often !

If Cook averages 50+ then England will be putting big scores up. If they do that, this Aussie batting line up isn't up to standing that kind of pressure IMHO.
    Yeah, ridiculous comment from me. I was thinking he needed to get a couple of centuries and if he did that he should average 30 or 40 in his other innings to get up to around 500. But averaging 50 in an Ashes Test series is some going, especially for an opening batsman who isn't in amazing form. 300 probably a fairer shout, you are right, especially now.

Yeah, ridiculous comment from me. I was thinking he needed to get a couple of centuries and if he did that he should average 30 or 40 in his other innings to get up to around 500. But averaging 50 in an Ashes Test series is some going, especially for an opening batsman who isn't in amazing form. 300 probably a fairer shout, you are right, especially now.

A truly dreadful manner to give your wicket away this morning from Cook. Imagine seeing off Starc, Johnson and Hazlewood's first spells to then edge a cut off an offie to the keeper in the first session of a Test match. Caught between two minds in the sense that they know they've got to really get after Lyon but not be reckless.

Cook is vital to England. We've only got to see what's happened here. Cook gone and then Bell immediately follows. Bell is massively overrated and Ballance I have little trust in either. Cook going cheap almost guarantees England to be at least 5 down.

I'd have been miles happier with Root up to 3, where he's blatantly going to end up playing, one of Bell or Ballance at 4 and Hales coming in at 5. Imagine had they not cut their noses off to spite their faces and they'd kept KP. Batting line up could have been Lyth, Cook, Root, KP, Hales, Stokes, Buttler, Ali. That is very, very powerful and would have any opposition massively concerned.

Is there a better batsman in world cricket at this moment in time than Root? His 2015 test match scores have been ridiculously good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good first day. Likely honours even but I think it's a real boost to England to go in with 340 up in a day. The real worry was that we wouldn't be able to put any kind of score up, as we couldn't in Aus. 340 in a day going at nearly 4 an over with Johnson not taking a single wicket will convince England that they can compete in this.

Said before, I don't think the Aus batting line up is all that great. Rack 400 up first up and I'd back us to beat them much of the time. It'd have been nice had Buttler not thrown his wicket away like he did. Turning up tomorrow with Buttler and Ali at the crease with 340 up could have really seen us put the pressure on. As it is and Broad's fear against the short ball and I fancy we'll be rolled out in an hour for 370ish. Still puts us in the game and the chance to put them under pressure. Important to remember the amount of times we had them 150-200/5 in Australia. We are more than capable of rolling them cheaply.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Is there a better batsman in world cricket at this moment in time than Root? His 2015 test match scores have been ridiculously good.

His test averages bar 2013 are excellent

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Good first day. Likely honours even but I think it's a real boost to England to go in with 340 up in a day. The real worry was that we wouldn't be able to put any kind of score up, as we couldn't in Aus. 340 in a day going at nearly 4 an over with Johnson not taking a single wicket will convince England that they can compete in this.

Said before, I don't think the Aus batting line up is all that great. Rack 400 up first up and I'd back us to beat them much of the time. It'd have been nice had Buttler not thrown his wicket away like he did. Turning up tomorrow with Buttler and Ali at the crease with 340 up could have really seen us put the pressure on. As it is and Broad's fear against the short ball and I fancy we'll be rolled out in an hour for 370ish. Still puts us in the game and the chance to put them under pressure. Important to remember the amount of times we had them 150-200/5 in Australia. We are more than capable of rolling them cheaply.
    I really think Johnson's head will go in this series if the England batsmen can get after him. In terms of day one I think you're right both teams will be reasonably happy with the outcome. Worrying for England is we are still carrying batsmen, one who is in stinking form and the other doesn't look up to test standard, It's ok showing faith but Bell's recent run of nothing over 2 runs in about 6 Test innings needs addressing

It was a fascinating day's play. It ebbed and flowed and I think both teams will go into Day 2 quite confident. England look vulnerable early on with Broad on nought and the Aussies will fancy their chances of mopping the tail up. Moeen needs to stay in and weather the tide, and if he does England should be looking to get to 400. I know it's only a number but I think 400 is a big psychological figure to get to in a first innings. It is a figure that looks daunting and puts a lot of pressure on the team batting second. The Aussies will be keen to limit England to 370-375 and then get in there quickly.

Should be another fascinating day.

People constantly talk about how series are won by winning big moments. This morning is one of them. Stay in and push up to 400+ and you're right in it. Get rolled quickly and Aus will go into bat with momentum.

Default The Ashes Series 2015

I think How Broad bats this morning will be a big factor for the whole series

So, what are everyone's thoughts after 3 days? I'll be honest, I don't see this Test match going into Sunday, and I can see England winning by late afternoon. The Australians have come back down to earth slightly, and an England win is the best thing for the series. An Australian win here would have seen England's confidence shattered, and history tells us that a cocky and arrogant Australian team is almost unbeatable in most sports. The Aussies will come back and the series is still wide open, but the limitations of their batting line up and the limitations of their attack in unfavourable conditions have been very noticeable here.

I may also have to change my predictions about leading run scorer after only one Test, as Root will take some catching.

An odd day. There isn't an Englishman on earth would have turned down setting Australia 412 to win in the first Test, especially from what was 43/3 before lunch on Day One. Yet, there's an odd feeling that we should have had an hour tomorrow to really humiliate this vaunted bowling attack, smash them to all parts and set them 500+.

Still, England have dominated 7 of the 9 sessions so far and it's hard to see Aus chasing 6 shy of a world record to win. They've plenty of time though; two full days and 6 sessions tells you that if they're still batting at lunch Sunday morning, then they're likely to win the match. I can't see it and fancy England to win tomorrow or latest before lunch Sunday. Australia will have to see Anderson and Broad off with two new balls as well as contain the spin on a wicket that is very much taking turn.

Can't see passed an England win by 100 or so runs and really set the Ashes up big time. A word of caution though - Lords and the Oval will suit this Australian seam attack. Trent Bridge will suit them also but being the best swing ground in the UK, it'll suit Anderson more. I fancy Edgbaston will be another featherbed.

A word of caution though - Lords and the Oval will suit this Australian seam attack. Trent Bridge will suit them also but being the best swing ground in the UK, it'll suit Anderson more. I fancy Edgbaston will be another featherbed.
    Exactly. This is why England winning this Test was vital for the Series. I want England to win, but I also think Test cricket needs a fantastic Ashes series so I'm happy if it's a close series with loads of quality from both sides. The Aussies winning here would IMO leave England needing a mountain to climb, whereas an England win here merely gives them a 1-0 win and gives the Aussies loads to think about before they go to grounds that suit them better.

Exactly. This is why England winning this Test was vital for the Series. I want England to win, but I also think Test cricket needs a fantastic Ashes series so I'm happy if it's a close series with loads of quality from both sides. The Aussies winning here would IMO leave England needing a mountain to climb, whereas an England win here merely gives them a 1-0 win and gives the Aussies loads to think about before they go to grounds that suit them better.
    I wouldn't go too far, to be honest mate. No matter what Australia can bring, there are no better bowlers in English conditions, across the world, than Anderson and Broad and despite the lauding of this Aus side, most of them have proven nothing over here. Only Clarke, Rogers and to an extent, Starc, have shown themselves capable of top level cricket here. I do love the look of Hazlewood though; a genuine line and length, quick bowler whom is only going to get better and better. He could be a nightmare over the next decade plus.

I'd also say that despite the likes of the Oval traditionally being quick with more bounce than most grounds, the groundsmen will be under orders to make them as slow as is physically possible. Australia aren't going to be greeted by a really quick and bouncy track anywhere on this tour. On top of that, their big hope is Johnson and he's got to get his inswinger to the right hander going to really threaten over here. As of yet, I've only seen him swing maybe 5 balls into the RH. He's bowling a bit fuller, as he must, but without that swing, he's there to be picked off. That's why he's taken something like 2 wickets at 70/80 in this Test.

Win here and I think England are set up really well to win the series.

Learning All The Songs

Its been good to see that we have taken the game to their bowlers and not been intimidated by their much vaunted pace attack. Sets a marker for the series hopefully.

Starting A Programme Collection

Absolutely pathetic effort England performance today. Australia thoroughly deserved victory but no need for such a pathetic capitulation.
    Advantage Australia now for me.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I was listening to it on the radio thurs/fri and the commentators were saying how it was a flat pitch and how it had a draw written all over it but as the Aussies were building up their first innings total I thought to myself I bet we don't match them with the bat, you can almost sense it, where there's a will there's a way and the Aussies showed us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I was listening to it on the radio thurs/fri and the commentators were saying how it was a flat pitch and how it had a draw written all over it but as the Aussies were building up their first innings total I thought to myself I bet we don't match them with the bat, you can almost sense it, where there's a will there's a way and the Aussies showed us up.
    Think some of it has to do with modern day cricket. Players don't know how to hang round for the draw. By product of twenty over game I guess.

Not a bad start this morning

Excellent start.

Shame Jimmys not playing. They would have been all out by now