Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Savelio rumour

Got A Season Ticket

Default Savelio rumour

A good source has told me he may have signed for the wire next year. I hope that this isn't true but saints need to tie him up on a big long contract. I am sure he is out of contract this year and no doubt money will be an issue for us.

Got A Season Ticket complex.matt's Avatar

Money will be an issue for us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Indeed, I think many of us have heard this one also.

I could forgive him going to the NRL if that's what he wants. Sign for Wire though ? Well, I wouldn't pick him again. I'd tell him to stay away from the club. Why would anybody in their right mind leave St Helens for Warrington unless pushed ?

Let's hope it's not true.

He is from Warrington though

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

For him to leave us for Warrington would leave a very very bad taste in our mouths. He'd no doubt get a very frosty reception on his return to Langtree Park, unless of course the club have mistreated him in someway which I doubt.

This rumour seems to be gathering pace but hopefully there's time yet for us to salvage the situation.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Default Savelio rumour

If it's true then he mustn't fancy winning Grand Finals... Really poor career move for him joining a side who in a few weeks could be playing middle 8s

@RedveeDotNet

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Mum always knows best - or so the saying goes! :-)
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

Im sure there are contract negotiations going on between him and saints, and no doubt theres an agent involved. A nice little rumour of him going to a local rivval may be an attempt to up his contract....and his agents commission. He hasnt been playing like a lad who intends leaving...infact hes been playing like a lad who wants to be the first name on the team sheet.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Backward career step, one that would no doubt anger most people connected to our club.

Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Be careful you'll get told off! ;-)

Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    Im sure there are contract negotiations going on between him and saints, and no doubt theres an agent involved. A nice little rumour of him going to a local rivval may be an attempt to up his contract....and his agents commission. He hasnt been playing like a lad who intends leaving...infact hes been playing like a lad who wants to be the first name on the team sheet.

Agree with all of this - but good business for Wolf if it came to pass.

on a separate note, not heard anything regarding Gary Wheeler recently at Wolf ( I have not looked that hard to be honest) - is he currently/ still injured or out of favour?

Maybe if he went, there would be someone coming this way from Warrington?

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

injured for a change

In The South Stand

Would be a disappointing move by the lad if true.

Having said that, it's a short career and if someone values him more highly than Saints in terms of £££ then can we really complain?

Warrington are punching well below their weight this season and you can't deny they've got some very good players, they just haven't gelled. Could be many reasons for that and they might be floating names like Savelio around to gee them up. They've got some good young forwards coming through so it may all be bluster. Savelio is becoming well established with us and I think he'd be making a big mistake going there.

Banned

I hope not but he should remember Bracek. Promising at Saints, finished at Wire, Fax with Tyrer now

Learning All The Songs

Hugely disappointing if he jumps ship and signs for Wire given the way Saints have stood by him throughout his years of illness & injury - that would show he has all the morals of a sewer rat.
    If he has signed, KC should leave him sat on the sidelines for the rest of the year to get fat again and not waste another penny on him.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

I hope he doesn't leave as he looks awesome. We should be trying to tie him down, long term. However if he does move on, best wishes to him and we also will move on.

You never know what goes on behind the scenes, but he seems like he has his head screwed on and I'm sure he'll make the best decision for him and his family.

Ex Terra Lucem
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Hugely disappointing if he jumps ship and signs for Wire given the way Saints have stood by him throughout his years of illness & injury - that would show he has all the morals of a sewer rat.
    If he has signed, KC should leave him sat on the sidelines for the rest of the year to get fat again and not waste another penny on him.
    Bit harsh. If saints offered him 40k and wire 80k you couldnt say that about him. Its a short career.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Agree with you. I'd be really disappointed and frustrated if he went to Warrington, which I'm led to believe is the case. Youngsters I believe should show more loyalty. We invested time in him, developed him him and supported him through a tough illness. The least he could do is show a bit of loyalty for a few years and should he wish to leave to the NRL in a few years, he'll go with our blessing like Graham did. But to go to Warrington?! It just screams of money grabbing to me, there's no other reason for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Youngsters I believe should show more loyalty. We invested time in him, developed him him and supported him through a tough illness. The least he could do is show a bit of loyalty for a few years
    Can't agree with that. Developing a player doesn't give you the right to underpay him - not saying that is the case here, but if he goes to Wire it will no doubt be because they offered him more cash and if they offered him more cash, that is the market value Saints need to compete with.

It's a short career and players need to look after themselves and make their own decisions - I don't really think players owe anything to the clubs that brought them through, it's not like they did it through some altruistic means - they are trying to unearth a good player and it's a free market for these lads to try and earn some money.

He's not a St Helens lad so no doubt doesn't have the same deep emotional ties to the club that tend to be used (exploited?) by some clubs to keep players for less than they could earn elsewhere.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

if hes signed for Warrington i will be dissapointed.
    i said in the other savelio thread 2 weeks back i didn't expect him to be at Saints for very long. his swagger reminds me of kyle eastmond
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    D.D you're either being devious, or you've heard the same rumour as me?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Can't agree with that. Developing a player doesn't give you the right to underpay him - not saying that is the case here, but if he goes to Wire it will no doubt be because they offered him more cash and if they offered him more cash, that is the market value Saints need to compete with.

It's a short career and players need to look after themselves and make their own decisions - I don't really think players owe anything to the clubs that brought them through, it's not like they did it through some altruistic means - they are trying to unearth a good player and it's a free market for these lads to try and earn some money.

He's not a St Helens lad so no doubt doesn't have the same deep emotional ties to the club that tend to be used (exploited?) by some clubs to keep players for less than they could earn elsewhere.
    In most circumstances i'd agree with you but Savelio is a bit different. He's spent years on the sidelines either through injury or illness. They could have cut him loose a few years ago and just said enough is enough. No-one else would have taken him on at that time (not a SL club anyway) and he would have been left without anything. Instead they stood by him and gave him a new contract despite him still being unfit to play properly. They got him the best possible medical help, invested heavily in an individual training, fitness & conditioning program for him just to get him back on the field.
    This season after years of investment in him he's finally started to show some returns for the club, so its a pretty s***ty and disloyal thing to do to walk out on the club now. If ever a player owed something to a club its Savelio.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Although I can see both sides of the argument here, I think if he signs for Warrington, Gary Connelly will for ever after lose the tag of "Judas"

Fingers crossed he does sign a long term contract with us.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............