Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891525 ... LastLast

Thread: FOOTBALL - The Close Season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Are Man City about to get mugged?

Buying Sterling is a risk.He has pace but needs to learn,shooting,passing,tackling etc etc.

Is he going to be the new Jack Rodwell,Scott Sinclair?
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post

Buying Sterling is a risk.He has pace but needs to learn,shooting,passing,tackling etc etc.

Only time will tell. He's got a lot of development to go through before he becomes a top player. He might not get the time or the patience off people if he goes for a big fee

It's a massive risk for him in my opinion. He could have developed at Liverpool with some (manageable) expectation but the weight of the transfer fee may destroy him if he moves

It's funny how Liverpool fans suddenly say he isn't the real deal now he is leaving. He was the best young talent in England at one point.

Regardless of his actions of late, he is some player. He does need to finish better but that will come with time, experience and composure. They have probably overpaid but that's because he is English and English players go for big money. Bearing in mind Depay is one of the most exciting youngsters in Europe and we have paid nearly less than half then yes they are paying over the odds but the lad will be a brilliant player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£49 million for Sterling,Liverpool must be happy with that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    It's funny how Liverpool fans suddenly say he isn't the real deal now he is leaving. He was the best young talent in England at one point.

Regardless of his actions of late, he is some player. He does need to finish better but that will come with time, experience and composure. They have probably overpaid but that's because he is English and English players go for big money. Bearing in mind Depay is one of the most exciting youngsters in Europe and we have paid nearly less than half then yes they are paying over the odds but the lad will be a brilliant player.

Very good analysis pal.

Liverpool fans are fast losing my respect over this.

I was in a pub before the match on Friday when one group of blokes gave him a full half hour of their attention. As I got up at the end, I left them with the parting shot, "so let's get this right lads, he can't shoot, he's too weak, he's got no left foot, nor a head, he can't pass and he can't tackle, but you shouldn't be selling a player of that potential for anything less than £50 million!!!!!" Cue open mouths all round!

Meanwhile, he's on the verge of getting death threats because he's a money grabber yet James Milner, who we all know had been tapped up by Liverpool 18 months ago when it all first came out, deliberately runs his contract down to nothing so he can get a free transfer and get millions put in his own pocket by Liverpool isn't a money grabber, despite frittering his best chance of medals and Champions League football.

You just couldn't make it up! :-)
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection

No he's not Don because he's got way more talent. We were all excited by it when he was taken Arsenal apart in the 5 1 and part of the title run in.
    He develops properly he will be as good as Hazard. His dribbling already is.
    I'm sick to death of fellow reds telling me Ibe is better. Dream on.

I think it's fair to say United's midfield won't be weak next season. Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger signed in the last 24 hours. Wow.

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I hear what you say DD but I reckon 5 games and you will see what I mean.He needs another 2/3 years of careful nurturing but with 49 mill hanging round his neck I am sure he wont get it.

I think it's fair to say United's midfield won't be weak next season. Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger signed in the last 24 hours. Wow.

I agree if you get both of them in.Just wondering if you have anyone coming in up front? With RVP and Falcao leaving.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Meanwhile, he's on the verge of getting death threats because he's a money grabber yet James Milner, who we all know had been tapped up by Liverpool 18 months ago when it all first came out, deliberately runs his contract down to nothing so he can get a free transfer and get millions put in his own pocket by Liverpool isn't a money grabber, despite frittering his best chance of medals and Champions League football.

You just couldn't make it up! :-)
    I fail to see how the two are comparable Dave.

If Milner were 21, had been brought through at City and had he just been offered a contract 4 times the size of his current one then I'd say they were equivalent.

But he's not, he was one of a list of players City have signed over the years who they didn't necessarily need at the time, haven't been first team regulars and have wanted to move on in order to get a game every week. Milner could have signed a new deal so that City got some money for him, I will give you that. But what happens if City then slap £10-15m on his head and nobody then wants him, leaving him as a squad player in his prime years? It's not comparable to a kid wanting out at all costs despite being offered a good deal and being a regular and important player in the first team.

Sterling is a very good young player, but he is vastly overblown because he is English. His goals per chance ratio actually regressed last season, and his finishing is appalling. As a dribbler and as a player who can take a player on at pace he is very good, but there are others who are better. Liverpool were under no pressure to sell him for any less than the ridiculous price they finally got. They wanted £50m, they waited until somebody offered it and then they sold him on.

Everyone wins here. City get a young English player with ability and bags of raw potential who may improve the team. Liverpool get rid of a player who would have been a nightmare to have round this season, and bagged £50m (minus QPR's share) in the process. Everyone should relax and be content with what they have gained out of it.

I agree if you get both of them in.Just wondering if you have anyone coming in up front? With RVP and Falcao leaving.
    If? Both are signed

I do agree that we are light up front. Rooney is more of a link man and James Wilson is only a young lad

We need a prolific number 9 but not easy to come by. Unless we're playing a different way, using Depay in a Ronaldo type role

If? Both are signed

Sorry Stu didn't know....don't get txts from Ed woodward!

Sorry Stu didn't know....don't get txts from Ed woodward!
    Ha ha.

I personally feel we will end up with Benteke. That's my opinion. Proven PL and easy to get if we pay the release clause.

Ha ha.

I personally feel we will end up with Benteke. That's my opinion. Proven PL and easy to get if we pay the release clause.
    I'd be happy with Benteke if we didn't have to pay silly money. Gives us some presence

Neither of our two midfielders have been officially announced as complete but they are both expected to be on the plane to Seattle this afternoon

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Great summer so far for United, I'm over the moon with schneiderlin....probably happier with him than schweinsteiger to be honest but both should be very good for us. Darmian appears to be highly rated by those who've seen him often, I don't know a lot about him so I'll look forward to seeing how he gets on.

There are 2 spaces now left to be filled, a cb and a cf. As much as I'd like to see Di Maria stay I half expect to see a di Maria / cavani swap deal, cavani would be an interesting option up front too. At cb I think we'll get oatmemdi as I don't think the Ramos deal will go anywhere.

Benteke wouldn't be a terrible signing, he's a goal getter in the PL and you'd think we'd create more chances for him also.

I'm impressed with Newcastle signing Wijnaldum, I've rated him for a while and there's s decent Dutch contingent there now which looks interesting. The lad from Ajax never really got going last season do he's as good as a new signing too. If Austin goes there too then I think Newcastle will have done well.

Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I fail to see how the two are comparable Dave.

If Milner were 21, had been brought through at City and had he just been offered a contract 4 times the size of his current one then I'd say they were equivalent.

But he's not, he was one of a list of players City have signed over the years who they didn't necessarily need at the time, haven't been first team regulars and have wanted to move on in order to get a game every week. Milner could have signed a new deal so that City got some money for him, I will give you that. But what happens if City then slap £10-15m on his head and nobody then wants him, leaving him as a squad player in his prime years? It's not comparable to a kid wanting out at all costs despite being offered a good deal and being a regular and important player in the first team.

Sterling is a very good young player, but he is vastly overblown because he is English. His goals per chance ratio actually regressed last season, and his finishing is appalling. As a dribbler and as a player who can take a player on at pace he is very good, but there are others who are better. Liverpool were under no pressure to sell him for any less than the ridiculous price they finally got. They wanted £50m, they waited until somebody offered it and then they sold him on.

Everyone wins here. City get a young English player with ability and bags of raw potential who may improve the team. Liverpool get rid of a player who would have been a nightmare to have round this season, and bagged £50m (minus QPR's share) in the process. Everyone should relax and be content with what they have gained out of it.
    Raheem Sterling was brought in from QPR, was he not? Hardly a Liverpool fan, born and bred, raised through the academy red eyed boy.

You're right though. They are not comparable. James Milner has forfeited the certainty of regular European football and a better chance of medals for a massive back pocket payment, whereas Sterling has actually gone the other way to attain a better chance of medals and regular European football.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Raheem Sterling was brought in from QPR, was he not? Hardly a Liverpool fan, born and bred, raised through the academy red eyed boy.

You're right though. They are not comparable. James Milner has forfeited the certainty of regular European football and a better chance of medals for a massive back pocket payment, whereas Sterling has actually gone the other way to attain a better chance of medals and regular European football.
    Fine. I am fully aware of where Sterling came from and also why he is going to City. One thing I will add though... when Sterling and his agent decided they wanted out, do you reckon City was No.1 on their list? I don't think City is the end of the journey for them, and in a few years time I reckon your opinion of him will be slightly different when they're angling for a move to London or Spain. But, that's for another day.

But, it's all fine with me, it's not going to have too much bearing on how my team does after all.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Fully believe Liverpool supporters are making a bit of an embarrassment of themselves with the apparent happiness over the Sterling deal. Only 18 months ago, this lad was apparently the best thing since sliced bread; the greatest young player in Europe was what we were told. Him and Suarez were absolutely key to their talent challenge and yet now, he's a laugh, hugely overrated yada yada. The simply truth is he's 20 years old and in two seasons scored 16 PL goals and assisted 12. He is an absolutely enormous talent. His performance was down last year, largely IMO because he'd already decided he didn't want to be there. I think his attitude is appalling but his ability and potential are both unquestionable. City know what they're getting and they'll back him to fulfil that potential and then all of a sudden, £49m (of which 20% I believe goes to QPR so nearly £10m) will look like nothing for a player that is a big part of a big team in the biggest competitions. The real point to take is that yet again, Liverpool are shown where they stand. Both Suarez and Sterling, both crucial elements of their title challenging side are gone and replacing them is nigh on impossible. Clubs in that second grouping in Engiand simply cannot keep top level players.

For United, I love the Schneiderlin signing. I really think he's an absolute diamond. Schweinsteiger they know what they're getting and that midfield all of a sudden looks high class. The issue for me with United is that their middle was pretty good anyway. They still need to strengthen up top and more importantly, at centre half IMHO.

Regardless, as of today the top four is, well, exactly what it was yesterday. How do the clubs in behind (Liverpool and Spurs pretty much) every move upwards when sides that finished only 2/3/4 places higher can simply pick off their best players ? It's borderline impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    I'm impressed with Newcastle signing Wijnaldum, I've rated him for a while and there's s decent Dutch contingent there now which looks interesting. The lad from Ajax never really got going last season do he's as good as a new signing too. If Austin goes there too then I think Newcastle will have done well.
    Seems like we've been here before doesn't it?! Newcastle sign a player that you'd think would have attracted more attention. It all looks great on paper and you actually start getting a little bit optimistic. But, a but too early yet for all of that!

Wijnaldum is a good signing, and De Jong should make us a lot better next season, hopefully with Austin as the striker. If we manage to hold on to Sissoko then arguably we look okay with Colback in the holding role and Wijnaldum, Sissoko and De Jong behind Austin. All good with that.

But, behind that we are a mess. Janmaat is a good RB and Krul a good keeper. But at CB we are nowhere. Coloccini had a stinker of a season just gone, and he's in his last year of his contract before he heads back to Argentina most likely. He is the only CB we have who is either remotely reliable or not completely injury prone. The boy Dummett is not ready, Taylor is always injured and nobody else gets near. Haidara at LB is also injury prone, so in reality we have 2 defenders who we can say are currently PL level and likely to be fit most weeks.

So, some promise there, but loads needed to be done. Season ticket sales seem to be way down on last season as well, with a lot of the dismay that was simmering last season now coming out into the open. People who were fed up last season but had the big financial commitment of a ST keeping them turning up to games are now ditching it in decent sized numbers. Years of being messed around has made more and more people just pack in going to the game. This (IMO) is why Ashley came out and spoke at the end of the season about trying to win a trophy. This is why McLaren has been told to attend Fans Forums, and this is why we have splashed out £14.5m on Wijnaldum and maybe £15m on Austin (nothing really when compared to the TV money).

The club are panicking. Unfortunately they've left it a few years too late for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Both Suarez and Sterling, both crucial elements of their title challenging side are gone and replacing them is nigh on impossible. Clubs in that second grouping in Engiand simply cannot keep top level players.
    I read an article the other week about how clubs like Liverpool are now a 'second to last' club. Namely, when they lose players it is because that player has made his big move, his last move. So, Liverpool are the second to last big club that the likes of Suarez plays for. They can hold Arsenal off, but when the likes of Barca, Real come knocking they accept their place. This is why Sterling for me is different. This is not his last big move. I see him moving on from City if he achieves his potential, and ending up back in London at Chelsea or in Spain. This is why some more intelligent Liverpool fans are concerned at this move, because it makes Liverpool look like a stepping stone and not the last club a player goes to before going to Real or Barca.

Oh, and BTW, Coutinho and Henderson were every bit as influential as Sterling was in the second half of 2013-14. I detect a certain mischief in your comment that 'Suarez and Sterling' were both crucial elements. Seriously mate, they shouldn't be in the same sentence if comparing the influence they had on that title challenge. And whilst Coutinho continued to develop without Suarez last season Sterling actually regressed. Just saying!

Default FOOTBALL - The Close Season

Fully believe Liverpool supporters are making a bit of an embarrassment of themselves with the apparent happiness over the Sterling deal. Only 18 months ago, this lad was apparently the best thing since sliced bread; the greatest young player in Europe was what we were told. Him and Suarez were absolutely key to their talent challenge and yet now, he's a laugh, hugely overrated yada yada. The simply truth is he's 20 years old and in two seasons scored 16 PL goals and assisted 12. He is an absolutely enormous talent. His performance was down last year, largely IMO because he'd already decided he didn't want to be there. I think his attitude is appalling but his ability and potential are both unquestionable. City know what they're getting and they'll back him to fulfil that potential and then all of a sudden, £49m (of which 20% I believe goes to QPR so nearly £10m) will look like nothing for a player that is a big part of a big team in the biggest competitions. The real point to take is that yet again, Liverpool are shown where they stand. Both Suarez and Sterling, both crucial elements of their title challenging side are gone and replacing them is nigh on impossible. Clubs in that second grouping in Engiand simply cannot keep top level players.

For United, I love the Schneiderlin signing. I really think he's an absolute diamond. Schweinsteiger they know what they're getting and that midfield all of a sudden looks high class. The issue for me with United is that their middle was pretty good anyway. They still need to strengthen up top and more importantly, at centre half IMHO.

Regardless, as of today the top four is, well, exactly what it was yesterday. How do the clubs in behind (Liverpool and Spurs pretty much) every move upwards when sides that finished only 2/3/4 places higher can simply pick off their best players ? It's borderline impossible.
    Disagree a little there mate. I think our defence was so vulnerable because it lacked any sort of protection from the midfield. It was noticeable how much better it was with Carrick sat in front of it. Herrera is skilful but not a holding midfielder screening the back 4.

Suddenly now we have two beasts sat in front of it and I guarantee even without another centre half signing that our defence performs much better. Don't get me wrong I still feel we need a world class CH but with a stronger midfield in front, they will gain in confidence knowing they have that protection.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I read an article the other week about how clubs like Liverpool are now a 'second to last' club. Namely, when they lose players it is because that player has made his big move, his last move. So, Liverpool are the second to last big club that the likes of Suarez plays for. They can hold Arsenal off, but when the likes of Barca, Real come knocking they accept their place. This is why Sterling for me is different. This is not his last big move. I see him moving on from City if he achieves his potential, and ending up back in London at Chelsea or in Spain. This is why some more intelligent Liverpool fans are concerned at this move, because it makes Liverpool look like a stepping stone and not the last club a player goes to before going to Real or Barca.

Oh, and BTW, Coutinho and Henderson were every bit as influential as Sterling was in the second half of 2013-14. I detect a certain mischief in your comment that 'Suarez and Sterling' were both crucial elements. Seriously mate, they shouldn't be in the same sentence if comparing the influence they had on that title challenge. And whilst Coutinho continued to develop without Suarez last season Sterling actually regressed. Just saying!
    I think Coutinho is overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but his consistent performance is lacking for me. He does wonderful things every now and then but that's about it. Where we say Sterling regressed with 7 goals and 7 assists last season, Liverpudlians tell us how superb Coutinho was with only 5 goals and 5 assists. Doesn't wash for me. Sterling 'regressed' because he couldn't be arsed. He didn't want to be there. Of course, stats don't tell the full story but Coutinho is somebody who for me will compliment a good team performance but rarely be the catalyst. Sterling is the opposite. He'll win you a game from nothing. Henderson is a decent midfielder but little more IMHO.

I disagree regarding Sterling moving on also, especially in England. I don't see a sideways move to Chelsea happening if he fulfils his potential unless he desperately wants London. He could have sat at Liverpool for that though. I'd be shocked if that happened. Spain certainly an option if that's his ultimate aim.

I think Coutinho is overrated. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but his consistent performance is lacking for me. He does wonderful things every now and then but that's about it. Where we say Sterling regressed with 7 goals and 7 assists last season, Liverpudlians tell us how superb Coutinho was with only 5 goals and 5 assists. Doesn't wash for me. Sterling 'regressed' because he couldn't be arsed. He didn't want to be there. Of course, stats don't tell the full story but Coutinho is somebody who for me will compliment a good team performance but rarely be the catalyst. Sterling is the opposite. He'll win you a game from nothing.
    So, Coutinho is overrated but Sterling is not? Coutinho played better last season than he did the season before, and he made the Team of the Year. He kept up a high level of performance without Suarez and Sturridge, whereas Sterling didn't. Attitude may be a factor, but I don't buy the line that Sterling just stopped caring and therefore we can overlook his average season (with a nice 2 week holiday in the middle as well don't forget).

Also, Sterling is allegedly a goalscoring winger/striker whilst Coutinho is a midfielder/No.10. Why should anybody expect Coutinho to be scoring as many as a £50m 'goalscorer'? Two different positions, two different roles. Coutinho is like most attacking midfielders, he has good games and bad games. But he has more good games than bad, and in a pretty average Liverpool team last season he was their stand out player. Hardly the mark of a player who can only shine in a good team.

And finally, sorry mate, but when you say Sterling wins games from nothing whilst Coutinho doesn't I just wonder whether you actually watch Liverpool that often. Ask Man City fans if Coutinho is unable to win games from nothing, because the last two seasons he won big games for Liverpool against them with goals from nothing. Did you not see his goal at Southampton which won a game from nothing? The facts speak for themselves there.

Starting A Programme Collection saint jimbo's Avatar

Although I am happy with the signings United have made so far, surely we need to start looking for a striker? However I have no idea why we are looking to offload Hernandez, give him a chance and he will score goals.

Sterling struggled last season without the Suarez influence at Liverpool and is probably a factor in him looking elsewhere, I think he's a good player, but his attitude stinks!! with good players around him again and less pressure to perform could still be a good signing.

I still think Chelsea will retain at the moment but its going to be another close season.
    COME ON YOU SAINTS!!!