Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456781424 ... LastLast

Thread: FOOTBALL - The Close Season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Saint19 View Post
    Decent signing for them. Not going to set the world alight but won't do much wrong either. But certainly not the type of player a club like Liverpool should be looking at if they want to challenge.
    Your right but he would have been our top scorer last season !!! (11 goals)
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Your right but he would have been our top scorer last season !!! (11 goals)
    Nah, he'd have been injured!

Seriously, he's a decent player and worth a punt for a free transfer, but Liverpool still need a fully fit Sturridge or a new striker of his equivalent abilities to be a Top 4 contender again. Ings and Origi bring more goals and more threat, but they don't equate to the kind of goals and the kind of fear that comes with facing the likes of Sturridge, Aguero, Kane, Costa etc.

Because Sturridge cannot be relied upon to start 30 games a season Liverpool still need a Grade A top striker, and all the signings like Milner and Ings are just window dressing.

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Nah, he'd have been injured!

Seriously, he's a decent player and worth a punt for a free transfer, but Liverpool still need a fully fit Sturridge or a new striker of his equivalent abilities to be a Top 4 contender again. Ings and Origi bring more goals and more threat, but they don't equate to the kind of goals and the kind of fear that comes with facing the likes of Sturridge, Aguero, Kane, Costa etc.

Because Sturridge cannot be relied upon to start 30 games a season Liverpool still need a Grade A top striker, and all the signings like Milner and Ings are just window dressing.
    I still think we need a completely new defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I still think we need a completely new defence.
    Partially agree, but it wasn't the defence that screwed you last season, it was lack of goals. You've commented on here about the amount of clean sheets Liverpool had last season, which I think was 14 or so. I don't think it was a terrible defence that was the difference, it was the 0-0's and 0-1 defeats (more often than not against not very good teams) that made the difference.

Now, don't get me wrong, I agree that the defence isn't actually that good, but for some reason it's done the business enough to give you a chance of being a Top 4 contender if you can stick enough chances away at the other end.

I'd try and sign a keeper like Cech or Begovic, both of whom are better than Mignolet. I'd try for Clyne because you cannot play Markovic or Ibe there all season, and I'd buy a top quality CB to partner Sakho. But, if you signed a 25 goal striker he'd paper over loads of cracks in that defence, much like 2013-14 when Skrtel and Sakho were dodgy as hell but you kept winning games.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    Looks like Liverpool have signed Ings from Burnley.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk
    A signing of no intent from our cousins across the pond. Origi to come and continue the wow factor. Deep joy on our way to keeping the score down at Stoke.

Any thoughts from the LFC fans on their signing from last week? I assumed he was a foreigner by the name but he's an England u-19

Read that United are considering Sergio Ramos from RM. But to get him they need to give RM their best player PLUS money!! If that is the case something has gone wrong at United - actually paying out money to weaken the team! Crackers!

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Any thoughts from the LFC fans on their signing from last week? I assumed he was a foreigner by the name but he's an England u-19

Read that United are considering Sergio Ramos from RM. But to get him they need to give RM their best player PLUS money!! If that is the case something has gone wrong at United - actually paying out money to weaken the team! Crackers!
    Not sure you can say that really. De Gea is going not because we want him to. Him running his contract down has weakened us considerably. If Real Madrid value Ramos at £25m then we will have to pay a bit as with a year left on his contract De Gea isn't worth that.

Ramos is hugely experienced, World Cup winner, CL etc and would add experience and a bit of snide to us. He is also useful attacking wise as he chips in with a few goals from set pieces.

We are losing De Gea anyway, so we may as well get a player in a position we need as part of any deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Not sure you can say that really. De Gea is going not because we want him to. Him running his contract down has weakened us considerably. If Real Madrid value Ramos at £25m then we will have to pay a bit as with a year left on his contract De Gea isn't worth that.

Ramos is hugely experienced, World Cup winner, CL etc and would add experience and a bit of snide to us. He is also useful attacking wise as he chips in with a few goals from set pieces.

We are losing De Gea anyway, so we may as well get a player in a position we need as part of any deal.

Not sure you need more snide.....got plenty of that already.Ramos is likely to leave you with 10 men quite often in the premiership?

I see Gary Neville shares my opinion on Twitter

Going back a few weeks, I said that there had to be a £20-30m striker out there who Liverpool could grab who would make a big difference to them. Is Firmano that signing? He is highly rated and is obviously considered good enough to lead the line for Brasil, and I've liked what I've seen from him in the Bundesliga, although I will admit I don't tune in to see Hoffenheim most weeks!

Liverpool now have Firmano, Sturridge, Ings and Origi competing for striking positions, with Coutinho, Henderson and Milner behind them. It looks a lot better, and if they add another attacking player and maybe Clyne then I think they'll have done well this Summer, regardless of what happens to Sterling.

My own club are closely linked to Charlie Austin, who I think would be a good signing and the type of striker we like up in Newcastle. We require a lot of work and need probably 5-6 signings and also need the likes of Krul, Sissoko and Janmaat to stay put, but the type of player we're looking at (Bas Dost etc) is at least encouraging. Until they say no and go elsewhere anyway!

Looks like Liverpool have signed Clyne from Southampton, looking more and more like they've sold Sterling to City.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

They're using the Sterling money prior to selling him IMO, which is the right way to do it.

Milner I think is a quality acquisition. Ings and Clyne are very good signings as well. Firmino I know little of but lightweight Brazilians unproven in the PL are risky business at that kind of money for clubs like Liverpool.

DD would know more being the resident Bundesliga guy. I'd imagine the resident Liverpudlians would like to know his thoughts on the guy.

So far the signings are more promising than last summers ! We also have Origi coming in and Wisdom returning.Just about 5 to ship out now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    They're using the Sterling money prior to selling him IMO, which is the right way to do it.

Milner I think is a quality acquisition. Ings and Clyne are very good signings as well. Firmino I know little of but lightweight Brazilians unproven in the PL are risky business at that kind of money for clubs like Liverpool.

DD would know more being the resident Bundesliga guy. I'd imagine the resident Liverpudlians would like to know his thoughts on the guy.
    Can't really help that much. Hoffenheim are one of those teams I never see much of despite them being a very entertaining team to watch. Can't say as I've seen or heard much to justify the price tag, that's for sure.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Forgetting all the off field nonsense and judging on talent alone I'd say Sterling is still a bigger loss than what's been brought in.
    Ings, Origi and Firmino scored less than 20 goals last season. Goals were the biggest failing in this team last season.
    FSG still going down the potential road for another season. No doubt we can expect another visit at Christmas for the January window.

Heard that the Ramos to United deal is going through.

Cabaye to Palace says all you need to know about money in the Premiership now.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny nick View Post
    Cabaye to Palace says all you need to know about money in the Premiership now.
    Unbelievable. It tells alot of stories really.

a, It says that Paris St Germain are one of these modern 'money' clubs that will buy players they don't need just for the sake of it, then happily let them go 18 months later for half as much as they bought them for.
    b, It says that despite all of their flaws, Newcastle actually did well to get £20m for a player who has rapidly decreased in value since.
    c, It shows that Cabaye made a massive error in demanding a move from NUFC. He is now at a club that he wouldn't have even thought of playing for a year ago, and has gone from being a sought after player to one that has had to choose between sitting in the reserves or playing for Crystal Palace. He thought NUFC were a stepping stone, so what are Palace?

From what I heard, Newcastle never even considered an approach for him. Despite it seeming galling to see our star man from two years ago now playing for Palace, he did act like a tit in trying to engineer a move out of the club. He went 'on strike' at the start of the 2013-14 season and only came back when Arsenal pulled out of a move. He then got his move and has promptly done almost nothing of value since. I hope he is a monumental failure at Palace.

Delph leaving Villa to join Man City. I think he's English.

Very impressive plans for Tottenham new stadium too. NFL link up is really interesting. Teams like Everton could get left behind here.
    The I'm not sure now that Liverpool should not have found a new stadium.

I see that Newcastle have signed Wijnaldum from Dutch football. I picked him out as one with great potential on one of these threads a while ago so I'll be very interested to see how he goes

Great signing by United of Schwienstieger. Real signing of intent this by LVG.

Is it a done deal then? He'll still be a heck of a player over here even at 30

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Is it a done deal then? He'll still be a heck of a player over here even at 30
    He is a proven leader and winner. We lost that in the dressing room with Ferdinand, Giggs, Scholes, Evra and Vidic all leaving. Also the captain of the WC winners which is nice.

We need to manage him well, can't see him playing every week but am made up with this signing.

He is a proven leader and winner. We lost that in the dressing room with Ferdinand, Giggs, Scholes, Evra and Vidic all leaving. Also the captain of the WC winners which is nice.

We need to manage him well, can't see him playing every week but am made up with this signing.

Might be the reason they are still interested in Scniederlin.