Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Just a thought.

Default Just a thought.

I was sitting, cognising and thought of this scenario.
    Premier League footballer at Man City (Silva I think) catches a glancing blow to the face (accidentally) by a passing opposition player (West Ham)... crashes to the floor in agony, has to have oxygen, is strapped to a stretcher and carried off. Result... just a bruise, nothing broken.

Superleague player (Travis Burns), is flattened by a pre-meditated front on blow to the face, gets up, shakes his head and soldiers on to the end. Result...fracture(s) to the cheekbone, out for a couple of weeks and now thankfully back.

Vive le difference and another example of how tough rugby league players are when compared to any other sport.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Premier League footballer at Man City (Silva I think) catches a glancing blow to the face (accidentally) by a passing opposition player (West Ham)... crashes to the floor in agony, has to have oxygen, is strapped to a stretcher and carried off. Result... just a bruise, nothing broken.

Superleague player (Travis Burns), is flattened by a pre-meditated front on blow to the face, gets up, shakes his head and soldiers on to the end. Result...fracture(s) to the cheekbone, out for a couple of weeks and now thankfully back.

Vive le difference and another example of how tough rugby league players are when compared to any other sport.
    We have known that for years and just imagine soccer players getting the same money as rugby league players. They would not even get out of bed.Thats why ours are MEN OF STEEL.

Learning All The Songs

Most in the premier league are a disgrace really. Lower league football much more physical and a lot more genuine.

Just think as well. Footballers can even raise their hands without getting sent off and as for a slight head contact ......

Football is a game run by luddites as well - where is the square in the air ??

Glad I follow a sport where the players have local connection, remain in touch with the supporters, are genuine and approachable blokes, make time for the fans and basically put themselves through physical torture for our entertainment

Learning All The Songs

I think all contact sports show how much footballers have turned into drama queens. Nowadays they are just play acting whimps. I genuinly don't think many top level players would cope with the physicality of a local Sunday League park.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    I think all contact sports show how much footballers have turned into drama queens. Nowadays they are just play acting whimps. I genuinly don't think many top level players would cope with the physicality of a local Sunday League park.
    Sadly really true that. The saddest aspect of this has been the media coming up with terms like he's entitled to go down.
    Here to stay this nonsense I'm afraid.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonny nick View Post
    Sadly really true that. The saddest aspect of this has been the media coming up with terms like he's entitled to go down.
    Here to stay this nonsense I'm afraid.
    More nonsense is use of the word simulation, football now is about cheating to create an advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

A lot of which could be stopped instantly

Video technology - if there has been a disputed decision the game has stopped for a load of pushing and shoving and arguing with the ref so would not disrupt the flow of the game

Manhandling of and swearing at referees - give clubs a warning that clamping down and then start red carding. A week of "chaos" then behaviours will change. Managers will instruct players to not do it and come down on them hard if they do and start costing points

Diving - bring in citing and post game review and where has taken place implement bans and a sliding increase for repeat offenders

None of this costs much to implement and would greatly improve things

Noooobie

Default Just a thought

Jonny...you want to watch that "cognising" it can be dangerous. Agree with you 100 o/o . What about going back to 10 yards back for any lip or the like. It would soon stop.

A picture paints a thousand words eh?

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Fortunately I am from a time when the TOP footballers in this Country who had just WON a world cup were approachable and did actually live their lives like mere mortals unlike the absolute sh*te of today who seem to think they are on a different level to normal human beings.
    Just as TOP Rugby League Players are down to earth and do recognise they are in a privileged position but don't snub the people who support them.

One memory I will have forever, which my wife will back up and she actually had tears in her eyes, was Kevin Ward signing copies of his book at KR. I had ordered one for myself and one for my son, unfortunately due to work my son could not go so my wife and I went to get the books.
    Kevin was sat there with Dave Samson (Deans Dad) who had assisted Kevin with the book.
    I went across to the table with the books and Kevin stood up and shook hands with me, I asked Kevin can you sign one to Simon (my son's name) as you are his hero. He looked at Dave Samson and said something like " I am someone's hero" I said Kevin you are more than just someone's hero. The pair of them stood and shook hands with me. And I feel privileged to have met him as well as watched him.

Christ I've got tears in my eyes thinking about it.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

I saw last night on Sky Sports News in the Ladies Football game, one player got headbutted, but just stood there as if nothing had happened, unlike their male counterparts who would have been rolling around on the floor.

Just remember, footballers spend all the game pretending they are injured. Rugby players spend all the game pretending they are NOT injured.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Got A Replica Shirt

I can recall going into Billy Boston's pub, The Griffin, near Central Park on match day, generally a Saturday and Billy would be sat with his mates in the pub. There was a queue of folk bringing in their grandkids for an autograph and he had loads of time for all of them, domino game forgotten as he'd talk to total strangers about games from the distant past. Can you imagine Fancy Dan football players doing that.

Got A Season Ticket

An easy way to stop them acting like drama queens diving etc -is to take a leaf out our book and carry on with game and let the physio come on to treat them without stopping the game, their own players will get at them if they are playing with a man down, another is to send them off for any verbal abuse to referees and finally bring in a sin bin.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    An easy way to stop them acting like drama queens diving etc -is to take a leaf out our book and carry on with game and let the physio come on to treat them without stopping the game, their own players will get at them if they are playing with a man down, another is to send them off for any verbal abuse to referees and finally bring in a sin bin.
    I would bring in a dust bin and put the lot of them in it
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Fortunately I am from a time when the TOP footballers in this Country who had just WON a world cup were approachable and did actually live their lives like mere mortals unlike the absolute sh*te of today who seem to think they are on a different level to normal human beings.
    Just as TOP Rugby League Players are down to earth and do recognise they are in a privileged position but don't snub the people who support them.

One memory I will have forever, which my wife will back up and she actually had tears in her eyes, was Kevin Ward signing copies of his book at KR. I had ordered one for myself and one for my son, unfortunately due to work my son could not go so my wife and I went to get the books.
    Kevin was sat there with Dave Samson (Deans Dad) who had assisted Kevin with the book.
    I went across to the table with the books and Kevin stood up and shook hands with me, I asked Kevin can you sign one to Simon (my son's name) as you are his hero. He looked at Dave Samson and said something like " I am someone's hero" I said Kevin you are more than just someone's hero. The pair of them stood and shook hands with me. And I feel privileged to have met him as well as watched him.

Christ I've got tears in my eyes thinking about it.
    I'm from that vintage and loved reading that Claude.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

I very rarely go watching football, but last night I went to watch Bury v Southend with a mate who's a season ticket holder at Bury.

Great game, total commitment by both sides and none of the play acting you get with the overpaid prima donnas of the Premiership and other top leagues.

Oh, and it was free to get in too ;-)
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............