Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Missing Greenwood and Vea

Learning All The Songs

Default Missing Greenwood and Vea

Not seen these two mentioned much in any of the recent posts, probably fair enough if they can't play, but we sure miss them. Probably were the 2 best 2nd rows in the comp at the time - speed in attack, aggressive in defence, and both 80 min players with phenomenal work rates. Have them on the pitch and you can afford the luxury of Mose and even get away with some average centre play because of their running threat out wide. Got to be able to play without them, but they've certainly left a big hole.

In The South Stand

I think it goes without saying that we are desperately missing these 2. The only problem being that we've got another 2-3 months without them. So the passengers that we are carrying in their places currently need to shape up or ship out.

Starting A Programme Collection

There's an argument to be made that carrying passengers could be leading to injuries here.
    Players not getting a blow or rotated a bit will takes it's toll.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny nick View Post
    There's an argument to be made that carrying passengers could be leading to injuries here.
    Players not getting a blow or rotated a bit will takes it's toll.
    Absolutely - Walmsley being the prime example he's doing far more work now than many others and is starting to look tired.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

i agree with you both. walmsley is doing too much to compensate for the others. mosoe's a waste of time unless he really wants to play and amors getting bitched in every tackle since his injury last year.
    also, im still not sold on greg richards. i think hes crap, and at best a poor mans paul clough
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    i agree with you both. walmsley is doing too much to compensate for the others. mosoe's a waste of time unless he really wants to play and amors getting bitched in every tackle since his injury last year.
    also, im still not sold on greg richards. i think hes crap, and at best a poor mans paul clough
    I have to agree to some degree with your comments on Richards - it's unfortunate he's not kicked on. He looked quite promising during the play-off's and the GF last year but seems to have gone backwards this season with less yards less impact and many mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesExile View Post
    I have to agree to some degree with your comments on Richards - it's unfortunate he's not kicked on. He looked quite promising during the play-off's and the GF last year but seems to have gone backwards this season with less yards less impact and many mistakes.
    maybe im being a bit harsh. hes only young yet but so far im just not impressed

I made the same comments RE Vea and Greenwood in another thread, it's not coincidence that our drop in form has appeared since they got injured.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    maybe im being a bit harsh. hes only young yet but so far im just not impressed
    Could also be we've been playing this one out rugby for so long now that the forwards are fatigued.
    Maybe the onus with Walsh back the whole structure changes. In general though it's been a disappointment from where he was.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post
    Not seen these two mentioned much in any of the recent posts, probably fair enough if they can't play, but we sure miss them. Probably were the 2 best 2nd rows in the comp at the time - speed in attack, aggressive in defence, and both 80 min players with phenomenal work rates. Have them on the pitch and you can afford the luxury of Mose and even get away with some average centre play because of their running threat out wide. Got to be able to play without them, but they've certainly left a big hole.
    Hit the nail on the head. They brought a great deal of intensity to the pack especially around the play the ball. We are certainly lacking numbers at times in the tackle area enabling the opposition quick play the balls.

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    I made the same comments RE Vea and Greenwood in another thread, it's not coincidence that our drop in form has appeared since they got injured.
    good point. we have lost a lot of threat out wide since losing percy, vae and greenwood. shifting the ball wide to the likes of flanagan and jones is pointless as teams don't fear those players. maybe thats why we've played a but one out rugby up the middle of late.
    hopefully wilkin can run some good lines on the left off luke walsh once he settles back into the swing of things

In The South Stand

They were the only 2 (ok 3 with percy) who ran onto the ball and ran at gaps, Friday everyone wanted to pass, nobody ran onto the ball. Turner, Wilkin flanagash and Jones need to be running a line out wide and hoping Walsh or burns get the ball to them. Standing still, catching and passing is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    They were the only 2 (ok 3 with percy) who ran onto the ball and ran at gaps, Friday everyone wanted to pass, nobody ran onto the ball. Turner, Wilkin flanagash and Jones need to be running a line out wide and hoping Walsh or burns get the ball to them. Standing still, catching and passing is crap.
    i agree.
    i think wilkins capable of running good lines. last season we switched him to left side second row (IIRC against huddersfield) and he ran some good lines off luke walsh scoring a couple of tries, i think

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I made the same point on the calm down thread.Losing these two has lost the team balance.With Percy and Lomax out we have lost pace on attack so those are serious problems for the coach and without Walsh yu simply cannot expect to win in SL.We are also putting too much pressure on the likes of Robes and Big Alex.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I made the same point on the calm down thread.Losing these two has lost the team balance.With Percy and Lomax out we have lost pace on attack so those are serious problems for the coach and without Walsh yu simply cannot expect to win in SL.We are also putting too much pressure on the likes of Robes and Big Alex.
    Good points. The defence in particular has really suffered on the edges with the losses of the two back rowers and Percival. We look really leaky in those areas defensively right now and the middle players look a bit tired because they're doing more of the work. The likes of Flanagan and Wilkin need to really step up in their absence and help the middle guys out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Good points. The defence in particular has really suffered on the edges with the losses of the two back rowers and Percival. We look really leaky in those areas defensively right now and the middle players look a bit tired because they're doing more of the work. The likes of Flanagan and Wilkin need to really step up in their absence and help the middle guys out.
    Flanagan has to realise that we don't do passengers at saints. If he wants to be part of this great club he needs to deliver the goods when called upon, not just ride along on the back of greenwood&vea. Same could be said for Wilkin, although I do feel that if Wilkin forgets passing and kicking and gets running onto the ball he can do a job. I'm not certain Flanagan can.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

I said we missed Vea against the Goons on GF, we'd have beaten them with him. Ditto near enough the games since.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    Flanagan has to realise that we don't do passengers at saints.
    Like most organisations some people's face fits others less so.

Flanagan has done well out of Saints - 4 years.
    He's been solid if unspectacular.
    He's no passenger but his face definitely fits

I think the real measure of a player is distance travelled or how much
    they have progressed over their time at a club.

Flanagan has progressed very little. One jamie lyon pass aside he's a bit of a robot.
    Will defend all day but no real attacking threat , no real footwork or evasion.

Compare him to a fit Greenwood and the contrast is stark.
    The new breed of second row require big mobile 80 minutes players
    with good hands and feet along with a bit of dog.

Not a Flanagan bash but he ticks very few of those boxes.

Banned

Like most organisations some people's face fits others less so. Spot on!