Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wigan making an announcement

Quote Originally Posted by knowsleyroaders View Post
    When Eric said Sams signed for us, did he mean Tomkins or Sam Dingle
    I presumed Panapa

Starting A Programme Collection

The grapes on here are very sour today . ST was not a flop at NZW , but the standard in NRL is much higher than S/L . He will still be the top F/B in S/L . As a Saints fan I would have loved him to have signed for us .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    The grapes on here are very sour today . ST was not a flop at NZW , but the standard in NRL is much higher than S/L . He will still be the top F/B in S/L . As a Saints fan I would have loved him to have signed for us .
    For all the hype, a world record transfer fee and a massive contract, I think it's fair to say he underachieved.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    May I ask did you watch him play in the NRL?
    Of course, you're entitled to you opinion, but I think you will be in a very small minority with this one.
    For me he was average at best, completely overshadowed by others and had no influence on any of the games he played in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    More like waved 200k of what they were owed on original fee.
    That was a humliation to the game. Eddie and Stevo playing dumb, Breaking news on the stadium screen(everyone knew already), air raid sirens, teenage girls crying in the stand. I was expecting Hulk Hogan, The Ultimate Warrior and Andre the Giant to walk out. Utter cringeworthy.
    Spot on They were paid the transfer fee over his 3 year contract,Wigan haven't paid any money, they just won't receive the final payment.It was beyond cringeworthy.

In The South Stand

I was surprised they didn't mention this news during the commentary.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Thought the way Wigan announced it was embarrassing. I think they forgot the whole thing was on TV. It might have worked if it was a big screen and Wigan fans alone, but I am not sure either.
    The other thing to mention is Sky's Stevo..I will cut him some slack here, because although he went along with the announcement hype ( although chief in that was Hemmings ) he did say on this weeks Boots and All that Tompkins was a flop in NRL. He said Tompkins thought he would be the star over there but found out he was just another player.
    I guess we will see if his homecoming will be a success.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Brother flops in Union, he flops in NRL not a proud record for the Tomkins family but the orgasmic experiences in Wigan and Sky last night must ensure the biggest explosion in the Wigan Metropolitan District birth rate since the 1970's electricity black outs. I wonder which one Baby Hemmings-Clarke will look like.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

It might just be me but I have never really rated him.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Thought the way Wigan announced it was embarrassing. I think they forgot the whole thing was on TV. It might have worked if it was a big screen and Wigan fans alone, but I am not sure either.
    The other thing to mention is Sky's Stevo..I will cut him some slack here, because although he went along with the announcement hype ( although chief in that was Hemmings ) he did say on this weeks Boots and All that Tompkins was a flop in NRL. He said Tompkins thought he would be the star over there but found out he was just another player.
    I guess we will see if his homecoming will be a success.
    To be fair Clarke has said the same thing,as i have said I know it comes over on the television that Clarke is the Kiss arse to Tompkins,it is actually Brian Carney who is mind numbingly Sycophantic off air. Eddie Hemmings always says he reads off a script, but last night was not his best night.

Got A Season Ticket Dom McCormack's Avatar

To be honest, after all the quips, this whole saga has only highlighted how small time our game has become.

The whole delivery from Sky just insults my intelligence. Phil Clarke hit the nail on the head at the end when mentioning how the game hasn't had a media star since Martin Offish. The fact is Phil, Offiahs celebrity wasn't created, he was a true great. Whats happened is there (very sadly) hasn't been a British born marquee player to live up to that quality since, so SKY, and probably the RFL, at some stage in the last 7 years have sat round a table and strategically targeted an individual to hype and market as 'Sensational', 'World Class', 'insert superlative here' for the british rugby league public to buy into.
    Sadly, the majority of the british rugby league public can't think for themselves, take it as read that Stevo et al talk gospel, and thus we see the embarrassing scenes last night where you'd think Gene Miles had returned. Tomkins is good, but he's in bed with SKY and you can't blame him, they've made him a fortune that he clearly doesn't warrant.

I don't like him as a person but fair play, he's made some cash and will probably go down (unfortunately) as some form of legend, which I find just comical for someone who, frankly, isn't THAT special.
    Have a quick look at 'The Last Days Of Knowsley Road' here http://saintsbook.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    ...and let the bukkake begin.

Just as bad on BBC Radio Manchester-"the most talked about player in rugby league....one of the top players in the game."

Talk about over-egging the pudding.
    How can he be the most talked about and yet only ONE of the top players. Radio pundits are thickies and never think it through before opening their gobs. Vacuous pillocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom McCormack View Post
    To be honest, after all the quips, this whole saga has only highlighted how small time our game has become.

The whole delivery from Sky just insults my intelligence. Phil Clarke hit the nail on the head at the end when mentioning how the game hasn't had a media star since Martin Offish. The fact is Phil, Offiahs celebrity wasn't created, he was a true great. Whats happened is there (very sadly) hasn't been a British born marquee player to live up to that quality since, so SKY, and probably the RFL, at some stage in the last 7 years have sat round a table and strategically targeted an individual to hype and market as 'Sensational', 'World Class', 'insert superlative here' for the british rugby league public to buy into.
    Sadly, the majority of the british rugby league public can't think for themselves, take it as read that Stevo et al talk gospel, and thus we see the embarrassing scenes last night where you'd think Gene Miles had returned. Tomkins is good, but he's in bed with SKY and you can't blame him, they've made him a fortune that he clearly doesn't warrant.

I don't like him as a person but fair play, he's made some cash and will probably go down (unfortunately) as some form of legend, which I find just comical for someone who, frankly, isn't THAT special.
    Agree and we have seen far better players who dont get that publicity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Brother flops in Union, he flops in NRL not a proud record for the Tomkins family but the orgasmic experiences in Wigan and Sky last night must ensure the biggest explosion in the Wigan Metropolitan District birth rate since the 1970's electricity black outs.
    Oh, bejesus.... more 6-toed mutants is just what the world needs right now

As an aside, just how the frig could anyone be homesick for that shipheap called wigan? You'd have to be a retarded, inbred freak. Oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by EwloeSaint View Post
    Agree and we have seen far better players who dont get that publicity.
    That has always been the way. Every sport has its 'public figures' that get more press / people attention than better players.
    Some choose to be in the public eye..Beckham..others do not..Scholes for example.
    At least Tompkins is an ok player and I don't blame him, if he gets press that causes him to demand more money.. We would all do it..
    Let's take Big Al. Everyone agrees if he continues he will be one of the best not only for Saints but in RL. Will he be high profile? I doubt he will. Why? Not sure, but guess he does not fit the ideal profile..
    The ones I can't understand are sportsmen & woman (PC Box ticked) who are average yet get massive press coverage.
    Robbie Savage & Joey Barton spring to mind..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Yes I watched him , but only when he first joined Warriors that was about 4 games , then the tv channel in Thailand stopped showing NRL . But each time I saw him he was the stand out player . I also reckon the experience he has gained down under will benefit him & Wigan . Also calling him names , Ratboy etc very childish to say the least . As I said in my earlier post I would have been over the moon if he had signed for Saints .

Starting A Programme Collection jefmeister2004's Avatar

Average in NRL, unfortunately means he'll still be high amongst the best here

There is a really funny spoof video on Rugby League Banter Page on Facebook . It shows Phil Clarke singing with Sam Tomkins . Can one of you clever techno lot find it and put it on here ? I wouldn't have a clue how to do it and it is worth watching for a laugh !

Learning All The Songs

Much too much discussion about Wigan on this forum.

Makes me laugh the way they are trying to re write his history. "Born nad Bred Wiganer" ?

No he was born in Milton Keynes, lived in Chorley and supported Warrington as a kid.

I think they only actually moved to Wigan when he was about 12/13!

Agree with Dom he is overrated. Extremely average under a high ball and defensively suspect. An attacking threat without a doubt but he isn't the complete player to be a true legend.

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Much too much discussion about Wigan on this forum.
    Less now than ever before in truth.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Less now than ever before in truth.
    And at least now contained within 2/3 specific threads, rather than polluting loads of general threads.