Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BBC & The Challange Cup.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon1964 View Post
    It's not the same though is it? Highlights or live,I know what i would watch.The BBC were excellent in the 70/80 for their sports production,now they simply can't afford it, which is a shame because their viewing figures would dwarf any other broadcaster in this country ITV included.
    I agree. But when you can't afford to compete for the primary rights it's the next best thing. Live is better than highlights in almost all situations, but an effective highlights package in a proper time slot can be huge for a sport, and this is where free TV should be at when live rights become ridiculously expensive.

So, if the BBC cannot compete for live rights they try and keep an effective highlights package. I think having highlights from 7-9pm (for example) of every days play from the Open will work just fine for them and will get big audiences, much like having highlights on the same day of the 10 F1 Grand Prix they don't show live.

More people will watch those highlights of the Open than will watch live on Sky. More people will walk into work on the Monday afterwards with images of the Open based on the highlights they watched on the BBC than on Sky. The BBC is still the place to be if you want your sport to be watched by the masses, look at ratings for the Grand National since it went to C4 for example.

We're going massively off topic I reckon here!

Hard though it may be to comprehend for the diehards, perhaps the BBC recognises that rugby league is a minority sport lacking in viewer attraction across the country as a whole and, therefore, is not worthy of high investment to gain broadcasting rights.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Hard though it may be to comprehend for the diehards, perhaps the BBC recognises that rugby league is a minority sport lacking in viewer attraction across the country as a whole and, therefore, is not worthy of high investment to gain broadcasting rights.
    That doesn't explain their decision to not take up their option to show the Salford - Leigh game. They have already paid for the rights. They would have got more viewers for that than whatever else they will be showing at that time. They even had the right to decide what time the game kicked off at so it fit in with their schedules. It is a decision thing. There are reasons for that decision, and I believe they've got it wrong if it is just viewing figures you are looking at.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    That's my point.........I think we get a pretty decent amount of coverage considering our geographical spread. It is up to us to promote the game and push it but the RFL do not have a coherent strategy except to do as SKY say or tinker with the set up in order to seem dynamic. The latest RFL strategy document (aims up to 2021) is an utter joke and shows how far they have fallen in terms of credibility.

They say they will increase spectator numbers from 2.3million to 3 million, that we will win the World Cup in Oz and every home series till 2021 plus a 40% increase in participation and a large increase in viewing figures. The only one of these remotely possible is the increase in viewing figures and that will be down to SKY having a reduced champs league offering and them promoting the game on our behalf.

The catalogue of poor decisions to market and sell the game has been a sorry tale. You cannot blame the media, spectators, players or the Aussies for our own sheer incompetence when it come to promoting our own game. How the RFL governing body can keep pedaling their utter nonsense is beyond me. We can't blame the Beeb, they show our sport and their production values/commentary/pundits are much better than SKY and all those on there enthuse and push the game. It doesn't make sense to blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    That doesn't explain their decision to not take up their option to show the Salford - Leigh game. They have already paid for the rights. They would have got more viewers for that than whatever else they will be showing at that time. They even had the right to decide what time the game kicked off at so it fit in with their schedules. It is a decision thing. There are reasons for that decision, and I believe they've got it wrong if it is just viewing figures you are looking at.
    Perhaps the cost of a live broadcast was considered too great given that neither team would be considered a glamour side in the eyes of the uninitiated and thus not an attractive viewing proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    The BBC News Channel is one of only two British TV channels that are shown throughout the world on virtually any satellite system.

I could watch this draw in Paraguay if I wanted and you're complaining that it's not on BBC1.
    Good point, I did not think of that... I guess as I never watch the BBC News Channel, as I just listen to news on BBC 1 or Sky it did not occur to me.
    That said I guess a lot of British viewers will not automatically watch the News Channel as much as BBC 1 or 2. But the plus as you pointed will be overseas viewers..
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    The BBC News Channel is one of only two British TV channels that are shown throughout the world on virtually any satellite system.

Not in my experience. It is generally BBC World News which is a completely different offering and is pretty dire.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Not in my experience. It is generally BBC World News which is a completely different offering and is pretty dire.
    You always have to spoil things don’t you? 
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Agreed, but where I think they are to blame is in doing their utmost to hide the Super League Show from as many people as possible.
    Agreed...........and it is a bit of a mystery, they commit to making the show and it isn't badly done in comparison to say Boots N All so not sure why they don't give a more prominent and regualr slot, you are right. A Saturday afternoon slot would even be better, may be after football focus if they don't want to show it at night at a reasonable time.

Beeb did a brilliant RL thing last night on Panorama no less, haven't finished it but it was really positive about the "State of Mind" project. It was about suicide and featured Scully and bro talking about their experiences and loads on the dreaded Wolves. It was called "A suicide in the Family" and is on iplayer. Also a full page dedicated to RL in the "i" on last night's game and Ratboy's return and the Leigh/Salford game.

I mean if we have a tale to tell the media will help us tell it. Thing is we have to give them something to write about and think of creative ways of getting our message across to them. To quote Stevo the RFL "Need to get the message out......"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    Agreed...........and it is a bit of a mystery, they commit to making the show and it isn't badly done in comparison to say Boots N All so not sure why they don't give a more prominent and regualr slot, you are right. A Saturday afternoon slot would even be better, may be after football focus if they don't want to show it at night at a reasonable time.
    Is not repeated I thought it was