Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Flower.

Got A Season Ticket

Default Ben Flower.

Wigan are saying B.F. Will be back for the Wires game the week after we play them . Yes I know that's when his six months ban imposed by the RFL is up but, Am I wrong in thinking that Wigan also gave him a ban?

Quote Originally Posted by wide 2 west View Post
    Wigan are saying B.F. Will be back for the Wires game the week after we play them . Yes I know that's when his six months ban imposed by the RFL is up but, Am I wrong in thinking that Wigan also gave him a ban?
    They fined him half his wages I think for the duration.

Starting A Programme Collection

has he been banned from all rl activities during that time including training with the wigan squad or just from playing?

if so he has had a full pre season plus full contact sessions so he;s pretty much ready to go?

In The South Stand Paul Cullen's Mantra's Avatar

The way the forwards are playing I think I could get a game
    “It's been 31 years, since 1974, we last won a major (trophy and) Andrew Johns and Natty (Nathan Wood), our two oldest players were born in 1974 so it's a little bit spooky,”

There is a common trait in teams at this point in the season that they seem to sit back and wait for somebody to win the game for them. And we had too many of our players waiting for someone to win the game.”

"interfacing at the ruck"

"winning the go-forward"

"i thought we won the collision"

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    has he been banned from all rl activities during that time including training with the wigan squad or just from playing?

if so he has had a full pre season plus full contact sessions so he;s pretty much ready to go?
    Wane was quoted yesterday as saying BF was training really well, I wouldn't have thought that the ban applied to training with the squad.

As for Flower, he'll have served his ban so end of for me, it'll take more than his return to bolster their pack. Won't stop the media salivating over the whole incident again though!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

didn't wigan stand by gareth hock throughout his 2 year drug ban? seems a bit harsh if they ditched ben flower for a moment of madness (that imo shaun wanes coaching played a part in)
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Yes Fishy, you are correct. They did everything possible for him including rehab, education and so on. It didn't work obviously. Now it's Leigh's turn.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Yes Fishy, you are correct. They did everything possible for him including rehab, education and so on. It didn't work obviously. Now it's Leigh's turn.
    After further attempts by Widnes & Salford. Some just cannot be saved

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    thought so.
    maybe he will be less of a loose cannon now that hes playing in a winning team. if he decides to play rugby he could tear it up in that division. i hope so for leighs sake anyway

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

So a 6 month ban misses what 8-9 matches whereas if it was in the season he'd miss 24 or thereabouts, so he got of lightly Imho.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    So a 6 month ban misses what 8-9 matches whereas if it was in the season he'd miss 24 or thereabouts, so he got of lightly Imho.
    Seconded. What was the point of a 6 month ban when half of it was the off season?

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Think this was done to death in the off season. The six month ban was merely a headline title for the wider public who's perception of our great game may have been tarnished by his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Seconded. What was the point of a 6 month ban when half of it was the off season?
    As NF says it was a con basically. The ban should have started when the season did not when everyone was on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    He got 15 games.

The tariff was set by the RFL based on a number of issues and guidelines, including the ban imposed on the likes of Terry Newton (RIP)

IMO that is about right.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    He got 15 games.

The tariff was set by the RFL based on a number of issues and guidelines, including the ban imposed on the likes of Terry Newton (RIP)

IMO that is about right.
    I agree.

Do we need to speculate on Flower playing or not?

He's hardly Ellery Hanley!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I agree. Do we need to speculate on Flower playing or not? He's hardly Ellery Hanley!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not really speculation, he's nailed on to play the first game he's available. Wigan are desperate for someone to add a bit of punch to their pack.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Not really speculation, he's nailed on to play the first game he's available. Wigan are desperate for someone to add a bit of punch to their pack.
    Now that is how this all started!

Rugby league news on Sky Sports site this morning 'Flower won't soften style'. Without repeating all of it appears that his contrition has all but evaporated. Time is a wonderful healer isn't it. He isn't willing to compromise on his 'fighting qualities' (his words). 'If I take away my aggression it will destroy my game' and so on.

Wonder who advises him? I would have told him to keep quiet and make your comeback against Warrington without hype. There's going to be a lot of it anyway without this type of talk.

It matter not what he says. It will be his actions on the pitch that will show if he has learnt any lessons..
    I guess only time will tell if it was a one of or he is another Hock...
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

If you read the full interview in the Guardian, it is an excellent piece. He also praises Saints as a club and our fans for messages of support. To be fair to Flower, he was not a notoriously dirty player prior to the incident.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...nch-ban-regret

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    If you read the full interview in the Guardian, it is an excellent piece. He also praises Saints as a club and our fans for messages of support. To be fair to Flower, he was not a notoriously dirty player prior to the incident.

It's a good piece but what really annoys me is the way he keeps peddling this myth about him being hit "from the side." It may seem pedantic to pick up on this but he is basically lying in order to provide some sort of mitigation for his actions.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    It's a good piece but what really annoys me is the way he keeps peddling this myth about him being hit "from the side." It may seem pedantic to pick up on this but he is basically lying in order to provide some sort of mitigation for his actions.
    exactly.
    he hits hohaia in the head when they are both chasing the ball. hohaia retaliates then flower knocks him out. flower started it and finished it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    exactly.
    he hits hohaia in the head when they are both chasing the ball. hohaia retaliates then flower knocks him out. flower started it and finished it
    He was a Thug when he did it and he is a Thug now,It is sheer luck he didn't really badly hurt Lance and if he had he would be serving a long prison sentence.

In The South Stand

I think weewa chose the wrong words .

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Thanks for the link.. A real interesting read..as I said before only time will tell if he 'has changed' as he puts it.
    I hope he has. Because as much as I like the physical aspect of the sport we do not need what we saw in the GF in our game.
    At the risk of getting flack. After reading the article, I feel a bit sorry for him, although I would never excuse what he did.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.