Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how can super league improve attedances

Got A Season Ticket

Default how can super league improve attedances

it seems asif rugby league is not growing and attendances seem to be on par every season now, apart from saints first season saints average between 10-12k and get 2 or 3 big crowds a season, other clubs are the same and it seems rugby league isn't growing as attendances remain on average the same every season, how can super league grow its attendances, clubs got great turn outs on the first day this season but gone back to low attendances again and unlike the last few seasons at kr saints don't seem to get a sell out crowd for warrington games anymore, anyone any suggestions on what else can be done to boost crowds, doesn't seem the world club challenge has boosted saints attendances of late.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

The new format is supposed to give more relevance to the weekly rounds but won't affect the bigger clubs who are always going to be top 8. The hope is that once the leagues split into the top 8 then attendances will be higher as the standard of opposition and importance of games will also be higher.

Monday and Thursday night games are not good for attendance either.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

You cant beat a sunday afternoon game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    The new format is supposed to give more relevance to the weekly rounds but won't affect the bigger clubs who are always going to be top 8. The hope is that once the leagues split into the top 8 then attendances will be higher as the standard of opposition and importance of games will also be higher.

Monday and Thursday night games are not good for attendance either.
    Thursday night is crap,I understand why SKY do it but it still stinks as far as i am concerned

In The South Stand

If tonights game was on sunday afternoon with a 3pm ko,no tv it wouldn't be too far off a sell out.Unfortunetly if that was the case and we didn't have tv the clubs wouldn't have the revenue stream they currently have.It seems to be one or the other,high attendences or high tv income.We can't have both

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RonSaintWiggin View Post
    You cant beat a sunday afternoon game.
    Thursday and Monday's are a definite NO go, shift work, travelling time, kids at school, make it impossible for many fans, but the powers that be (sky) don't really care about fans do they? For me you can,t beat a Sunday afternoon. It's family friendly and the Sunday game we played last season was absolutely packed.

Learning All The Songs

Sunday pm would boost the crowds

Away support well down these days due to M62 and SKY - Sunday no rush and can make a day of it

Also easier to bring young kids

Saturday early pm good as well for same reasons

Should perhaps be more creative with themed nights or promotions etc to drag in non regulars particular when playing the likes of Catalans who will bring no one ie
    - offer discounts for Liverpool or Everton season ticket holders - non league football clubs do this
    - ditto Sale Sharks
    - kids free if adult comes
    - Fathers Day - free pint for Dad etc
    - Double headers with a Championship match beforehand ? - they can see it as being an on the road game, play in front of a big crowd

I am not in marketing but you get my drift

Saturday early evenings also opens up possibility of say a post match concert included in price (as racing does)

Thursday and Monday's a right pain. I know at least 2 mates with season tickets who cannot make tonight as working away on business. I was in same boat for Salford.

Night games in the likes of Hull and for them coming to us is a lottery if you make it driving after work.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by wide 2 west View Post
    Thursday and Monday's are a definite NO go, shift work, travelling time, kids at school, make it impossible for many fans, but the powers that be (sky) don't really care about fans do they? For me you can,t beat a Sunday afternoon. It's family friendly and the Sunday game we played last season was absolutely packed.
    This is a good point, every year football is growing away from its tradional roots (the original catholic working mans game) nowadays only the non shift workers can afford to commit to season tickets.

RL is going the same way

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Sunday pm would boost the crowds

Away support well down these days due to M62 and SKY - Sunday no rush and can make a day of it

Also easier to bring young kids

Saturday early pm good as well for same reasons

Should perhaps be more creative with themed nights or promotions etc to drag in non regulars particular when playing the likes of Catalans who will bring no one ie
    - offer discounts for Liverpool or Everton season ticket holders - non league football clubs do this
    - ditto Sale Sharks
    - kids free if adult comes
    - Fathers Day - free pint for Dad etc
    - Double headers with a Championship match beforehand ? - they can see it as being an on the road game, play in front of a big crowd

I am not in marketing but you get my drift

Saturday early evenings also opens up possibility of say a post match concert included in price (as racing does)
    Good stuff. Could definitely do it when we're not on TV.

Managed to get a day swap for this one but can't be doing with this. Tbh the season ticket might have to go if we carry on with Thursday's for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    This is a good point, every year football is growing away from its tradional roots (the original catholic working mans game) nowadays only the non shift workers can afford to commit to season tickets.

RL is going the same way
    That's the first time I have heard it called that

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Playing the same teams numerous times doesn't help. For example, we are guaranteed to play Wire 4 times this year (assuming we both make top 8) and then there's a good chance of the cup and playoffs as well. It means the significance of each game is reduced and so people may only attend the perceived important ones. We should play less games, bin off the Magic thing, and just have 2 games vs an opponent in the regular season, then those games would instantly become more attractive.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Playing the same teams numerous times doesn't help. For example, we are guaranteed to play Wire 4 times this year (assuming we both make top 8) and then there's a good chance of the cup and playoffs as well. It means the significance of each game is reduced and so people may only attend the perceived important ones. We should play less games, bin off the Magic thing, and just have 2 games vs an opponent in the regular season, then those games would instantly become more attractive.
    Last year you had a point this year, everyone of those games will mean something. How can we reduce games ?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post

RL is going the same way
    Steady on. Before Sky, there was tons of mid-week games throughout the season. Even in months like *gasp* January. Heaven protect us!

Is Wednesday night Rugby before 1996, better than a Thursday? Or a Monday in the summer months?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

We have to be realistic, we can't decrease the number of games, the clubs have already said how many games they want in a season.

Similarly those who say about Sunday rugby, again we need to be realistic, whilst we've still got sky's money, they're not going to put us up against two live football matches on Sky,and the number of times we're on sky, there's no great need to play Sundays. On top of that, the 'big games' are on Fridays, so we're potentially doing ourselves out of two days rest to play the big teams.

I think the mentality of the supporter has changed too. To suggest Sunday's would throw big numbers on the attendance may not be as simple as it sounds. For me, Friday's are 'saints' nights, as it will be for most people. I reckon for every few fans you gain, you'll lose a few too. For example if your partner isn't a saints supporter, you're asking a lot to give every other Sunday up for saints through the summer. Realistically if you're going a match on the Sunday, you can't a lot more on the Sunday. Friday night matches, albeit a bit more of a rush leaves the whole weekend open. I'll take it has a knock on effect on away crowds, but i think you're talking hundreds, not thousands.

I'll take Thursday's though, it pretty much wipes out your children under 10. I think they're great for tv, I love watching the Thursday match, it's just a pain when it's you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    We have to be realistic, we can't decrease the number of games, the clubs have already said how many games they want in a season.

Similarly those who say about Sunday rugby, again we need to be realistic, whilst we've still got sky's money, they're not going to put us up against two live football matches on Sky,and the number of times we're on sky, there's no great need to play Sundays. On top of that, the 'big games' are on Fridays, so we're potentially doing ourselves out of two days rest to play the big teams.

I think the mentality of the supporter has changed too. To suggest Sunday's would throw big numbers on the attendance may not be as simple as it sounds. For me, Friday's are 'saints' nights, as it will be for most people. I reckon for every few fans you gain, you'll lose a few too. For example if your partner isn't a saints supporter, you're asking a lot to give every other Sunday up for saints through the summer. Realistically if you're going a match on the Sunday, you can't a lot more on the Sunday. Friday night matches, albeit a bit more of a rush leaves the whole weekend open. I'll take it has a knock on effect on away crowds, but i think you're talking hundreds, not thousands.

I'll take Thursday's though, it pretty much wipes out your children under 10. I think they're great for tv, I love watching the Thursday match, it's just a pain when it's you.

Sums it up for me Thursday is a pain in the arse can't get all the family together for our Rugby League Fix,but enjoy watching it on TV when it isn't us,called having your cake and eating it.

Got A Season Ticket

I think what would work well is still have the one off game on a Friday night on sky but have majority on Saturday afternoon 3pm non tv and then a tv one on at 8 after the footy and also have sunday games too 3pm ones and if sky want to throw another on the tv throw it on at 6 or 8 like some have said.

You still probably need better terrestrial coverage if you want to raise the profile of the game. It then becomes more relevant to people.
    Need to lose the heartland cliches and parochlism and get in the real world. I've stated before that if we don't we will struggle to survive as a serious relevant sport in a few seasons.

Got A Season Ticket

The problem is Sky dictate all televised games The RFL don't have a say, they love Thursday nights there is no football.

In The South Stand

I've always thought that local teams should be friday night to allow for sky cameras and allowing the lads to have Saturdays off, but Yorkshire teams should be on a Sunday 3pm. Nothing better than a blast over to hudds/leeds/hul/cas on a Sunday with no traffic on the m62. Also allows fans to travel to us from Yorkshire.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    I've always thought that local teams should be friday night to allow for sky cameras and allowing the lads to have Saturdays off, but Yorkshire teams should be on a Sunday 3pm. Nothing better than a blast over to hudds/leeds/hul/cas on a Sunday with no traffic on the m62. Also allows fans to travel to us from Yorkshire.
    Agree totally.

All clubs should have a few games on a Sunday, to try to entice the younger fans. A 10pm finish on a Thurs/Fri night is to late for a lot of Primary school children, which is the ideal age to introduce the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny nick View Post
    You still probably need better terrestrial coverage if you want to raise the profile of the game. It then becomes more relevant to people.
    Need to lose the heartland cliches and parochlism and get in the real world. I've stated before that if we don't we will struggle to survive as a serious relevant sport in a few seasons.
    Agree....
    Plus more games like last night would help...
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Noooobie

Terrestrial TV doesn't pay as much but is far better for the profile of the sport. Look at Sky's impact on boxing. Benn and Eubank were household names on ITV before they switched to Sky. Carl Froch is known only by boxing fans, despite an incredible career. I have lost count of how many people have told me they never see RL because they don't have Sky. Sky have kept our sport alive in many ways, but they've also helped it to plateau.

Additionally, RL HQ never seem able to capitalise on opportunities. The World Cup is a great example. Where have those "extra" fans/curious first timers gone?

Finally, it's the age old Union focussed media coverage that needs to change...

Ultimately, though... I love the fact that I can get a ticket. And I love the fact that this game is still ours.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    The problem is Sky dictate all televised games The RFL don't have a say, they love Thursday nights there is no football.
    I think SKY have really dropped a clanger with Thursday night matches,the stadium are embarrassingly empty the ratings for the matches are not that good considering very little live sport on a Thursday.The answer i received was other sports like football,have mid week games they travel far further than rugby supporters,and their supporters turn up in numbers why not rugby league fans.
    Not being a football supporter do SKY show matches on a Saturday evening? if not then possibly this would be a better time.