Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 123456122252 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruitment 2016 - Saints

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Joe Mellor had another good game for Widnes. Looks like he's got all the attributes to be a top scrum half, English & cast away by Wigan. Sounds like he could be made for us if you like your history.

I think we should seriously take a good look at him and weigh a long term deal up.
    Mellor has real pace. Like the lad. Lomax far too early to make any assumptions. Looked like a knock so only out a short time. We don't need a back row man. It all depends who is going. If it is the players we think then scrum half and prop are the priorities

In The South Stand

If Charnock and Hewitt aren't considered good enough yet let go and bring the next on, its no wonder England as know good half backs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    2. Walsh. Pressing issue. Again, I don't see anyone we can sign, I'm not interested in signing Aussies either so I'd look in this country.
    If Walsh does leave and there are no adequete replacements in this country then we'd be foolish to rule out the NRL. They still have the most skillful players in the world in the key positions and whilst we wouldn't be able to bring in a player like Thurston we'd be able to bring in a player like Walsh who isn't quite as high profile over there but would kill it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    Any chance we can just enjoy this season & worry about 2016 later ?
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

With regards to FB, just stick Wilkin there.

On a serious note,

I would sign a FB, subject to Lomax being unable to continue, rather than a winger and move Makinson or Swift, as we should have an out and out FB with Makinson as back up in case of injuries.
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    If Walsh does leave and there are no adequete replacements in this country then we'd be foolish to rule out the NRL. They still have the most skillful players in the world in the key positions and whilst we wouldn't be able to bring in a player like Thurston we'd be able to bring in a player like Walsh who isn't quite as high profile over there but would kill it here.
    A prop is top of the shopping list.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Mose must be nailed on to leave then

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Mose must be nailed on to leave then
    It would seem so.

In The West Stand

T Burgess please

Banned

Ben Flower

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Ben Flower

This thread is going to pot
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Ben Flower
    That would be blooming crazy ;-)

Learning All The Songs

anyone paticular lex

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    If Charnock and Hewitt aren't considered good enough yet let go and bring the next on, its no wonder England as know good half backs.
    I believe Charnock has been playing in the backrow and at 9 , don't really know much about Hewitt but how old is he? No point spending loads of money developing a player then ditching them prematurely

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    I believe Charnock has been playing in the backrow and at 9 , don't really know much about Hewitt but how old is he? No point spending loads of money developing a player then ditching them prematurely

Yes I think we are well enough covered for the time being and into next year - of course if we really need quality cover in the centre Eamon should break the bank and get Anthony Gelling on Board

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

There are causes for concern deep within the medical staff it would seem,

Lomax as it has been pointed out hasnt played a whole season since he started in the senior team due to long absences with Injuries (many the same as before), this was the same with Wheeler, Gaskell etc and who have moved to other clubs and seemed to be able to maintain regular attendences in the team away from injury. Every season we bang on about the length of our injury list and how unlucky we have been, but it happens year on year, therefore something has to be wrong at the core of the system. Players cant leave a club and go on to others and be fine, it doesnt make sense.

Away from that we will definitley need a new scrum half, i cant see Walsh staying, a new prop as Mose is being pursued by the NRL and his 2 year contract is up at the end of the season. And we definitley need a goal kicker, and a decent stand off, i know its early in the year but Burns isnt standing out as the stand off we need, constantly arguing with the opposition, high tackles, penalties given away a lot.
    All in all our recruitment policy in the last several years has been dire apart from the exceptions of Walmsley, amor and Vea.
    Saints until i Die!!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harri81 View Post

Lomax as it has been pointed out hasnt played a whole season since he started in the senior team due to long absences with Injuries (many the same as before), this was the same with Wheeler, Gaskell etc and who have moved to other clubs and seemed to be able to maintain regular attendences in the team away from injury. Every season we bang on about the length of our injury list and how unlucky we have been, but it happens year on year, therefore something has to be wrong at the core of the system. Players cant leave a club and go on to others and be fine, it doesnt make sense.

Away from that we will definitley need a new scrum half, i cant see Walsh staying, a new prop as Mose is being pursued by the NRL and his 2 year contract is up at the end of the season. And we definitley need a goal kicker, and a decent stand off, i know its early in the year but Burns isnt standing out as the stand off we need, constantly arguing with the opposition, high tackles, penalties given away a lot.
    All in all our recruitment policy in the last several years has been dire apart from the exceptions of Walmsley, amor and Vea.
    You are writing Burns off after 4 appearances? He has given 3 penalties away in 3 Super League games, which is less than Masoe, Percival and Wilkin. He also has 2 try assists in his first 3 games for the club.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

And we definitley need a goal kicker, and a decent stand off, i know its early in the year but Burns isnt standing out as the stand off we need, constantly arguing with the opposition, high tackles, penalties given away a lot.
    I think you ned to look a bit closer at the work Burns has done in the games so far, it showed on Friday just how much he brings to the team. Time & again we managed to create overlaps but then Wilkin & Flanagan chose to keep it tight and either turn the ball back inside or hit the lead runner. In the previous games Burns was putting the ball out wide to the 2nd or 3rd man and creating scoring opportunities. Okay the winger & centre haven't been converting a great deal of them into try's but at least we've been creating the space.
    Not all good halves are constantly taking on the line or making breaks, Burns has brought a lot of structure to the team and this allows other players to run off him.
    Wilkin has ben pretty awful so far this year playing in the halves but by far & away his best attribute is his line running. Once we get Burns & Walsh settled as the halves and selecting the right passes, I really think we'll start to see Wilkin get some form back and make a lot more line breaks.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    You are writing Burns off after 4 appearances? He has given 3 penalties away in 3 Super League games, which is less than Masoe, Percival and Wilkin. He also has 2 try assists in his first 3 games for the club.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was ridiculous. Burns is still finding his feet a bit but has done OK and there's no reason to change.

I can see the following leaving - Jones, Hohaia, Masoe & Walsh. You can possibly add Wellens, Dawson and Flanagan to the list too, although I imagine Flanagan and Dawson may re-sign and who knows with Wellens. As a back up option for another season, it wouldn't be a total disaster if he decided to sign for another season as he can cover several positions. We could really do with re-signing Jones, his versatility and age makes him a pretty valuable squad player.

I would therefore look for like for like replacements for Masoe and Walsh as those two positions are key, and then also look at signing a utility back who can cover the back three positions. I would also be looking at a replacement hooker / half back to replace Hohaia as we will need that cover for Roby.

If we decide to replace Walsh with Wilkin I will cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was ridiculous. Burns is still finding his feet a bit but has done OK and there's no reason to change.

I can see the following leaving - Jones, Hohaia, Masoe & Walsh. You can possibly add Wellens, Dawson and Flanagan to the list too, although I imagine Flanagan and Dawson may re-sign and who knows with Wellens. As a back up option for another season, it wouldn't be a total disaster if he decided to sign for another season as he can cover several positions. We could really do with re-signing Jones, his versatility and age makes him a pretty valuable squad player.

I would therefore look for like for like replacements for Masoe and Walsh as those two positions are key, and then also look at signing a utility back who can cover the back three positions. I would also be looking at a replacement hooker / half back to replace Hohaia as we will need that cover for Roby.

If we decide to replace Walsh with Wilkin I will cry.
    Agree with all of this.

I wouldn't mind Saints asking Scott Dureau does he fancy a couple of years in sunny England to replace Walsh!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

How can anyone write Burns off after playing in 3 competitive games??

Ridiculous comment, from what I've seen Burns is exactly this correct signing we needed. Aggressive with a good brain for the game. Alongside a proper scrum half & he'll excel with us.

Lomax as stated is a concern with injuries.
    What do people think the reason is for the injuries we sustain? Are these young players all just injury prone, is it the way we bulk them up from such & young age why their body is still developing?
    I can't believe it's to do with any recovery from games or training regime when you see players like Roby playing so many games

Learning All The Songs

Why is everyone saying Josh Jones will leave?

Starting A Programme Collection Village Saint's Avatar

Lomax as it has been pointed out hasnt played a whole season since he started in the senior team due to long absences with Injuries (many the same as before), this was the same with Wheeler, Gaskell etc and who have moved to other clubs and seemed to be able to maintain regular attendences in the team away from injury. Every season we bang on about the length of our injury list and how unlucky we have been, but it happens year on year, therefore something has to be wrong at the core of the system.
    Not only is this complete speculation but it's also nonsense.

First of all I understand the frustration of players getting injured, and having an actual cause to blame for these injuries gives emotional respite to people as it allows them to target something to change. However a few things need to be questioned from your post.

First of all what are the 'many the same as before' injuries that Lomax has seen? And what were the causes for this recurring injury? Same question goes for Gaskell seeing as you mentioned him too. General answers such as knee or back etc. don't sufficiently evidence your 'concern deep within the medical staff' claim, so be specific.

Second, there has actually been changes to the physiotherapy team during the off-season, long serving Joey Hayes has moved on and Nathan Mill, the England head physiotherapist, has taken over. Did you realise this?

Third, Wheeler. The real bang of the injury drum. It was always gonna happen that as soon as Wheeler strung a few games together that people would look at him as being mistreated at Saints. As my Wire mates have pointed out yes Wheeler has been playing alright but he is also shying away from contact in defence big time (more so than other halfbacks). Wheeler may go the rest of his career without an injury or he may not. However a lot depends on wether he lands awkwardly, gets fallen upon by a big guy, or takes an heavy impact to to a joint. He may be lucky or unlucky when it comes to these situations during games at Warrington.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    There are general friction/upset rumours flying around but I think it's just OOC & no news that is leading to people designing their own puzzle pieces.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    We had some spare money for a winger this season, not sure if that cap space is still available after Makinsons contract upgrade.

We will also have the money going to Hohaia, so that will pay for at least one quality back. Given that Charnley is rumoured to want out at Wigan he could be a good option.

Charnley doesnt deserve to pull on the red vee!! I rated him quite highly as a winger at one point but he's head doesnt seem to be in the game anymore and he's lost all passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Something weird behind the scenes. A storming game against Cas, then not even in the 19 for Wakey. I can't imagine he's being 'rested'. Why did they give him the number 4 shirt if he isn't going to start in that position regularly?
    I bought a pack of luminous condoms last week. The wife's face lit up.

In The South Stand

Clubs only have under 19s teams as reserves now so " what happens to players who haven't made it by then?".