Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mose

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Kevin Sinfield was on £150k a few years ago. Saints have never paid the top wages
    You have 25 players that collectively need to earn less than 1.8 million, 5-10 of them are on good money ie Walsh, Burns, Hohaia, Masoe, Roby, Lomax, Wilkin. Then you have your decent earners such as Flanaghan, Amor, LMS, Makinson, Walmesley, Vea, Wellens. Top is about 120k, looking at bottom ie the young kids, take a look at Hoe Burgess salary for breakthrough first team contract

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    A top player would earn £150k to £170k I think, average salary would be £65k to £70k

So a premier league footballer earns in a week what a super league player earns in a year
    Thanks. Even if those figures are a bit high as some have said, it gives me a decent idea of the general standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    The top earner at a club does not earn 10% of the salary cap unless you play for salford
    That is new information for me. I didn't know the Super League had a salary cap.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    What a load of b@llo@ks. We have been crying out for an enforcer for years, for a number of years clubs used to look forward to playing us because we were soft in the middle. Slap us about a bit and our young soft pack had no response. Teams would pick a fight with us at will and slap us about. But no longer, the prospect of getting a crack off a 20 stone monster has made teams think twice. With mose as back up players like Walmsley thompson lms and Co have really blossomed. One of the reasons why we are where we are is because of the balance between skill/talent/coaching and no small amount of aggression and fear factor. It's down right embarrassing that 12 months after mose turned us into a team with "bite" people are suggesting he's not needed. Get a bloody grip.
    Yep. Agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I don't doubt that the odd player is on that amount and indeed Roby probably will be but I don't think 2 or 3 will be on amounts like that.
    Oh definitely. Sinfield is an outlier, he was probably the best paid player in the league at the time. Even paying him that amount you could still pay the remaining 24 over £60k on average but you couldn't afford to put anyone else in that pay bracket

Course saints pay top money. As people have stated senior players like Roby, Amor, Hohia, Wilkin, Walsh etc will be in the 100k mark.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    After watching him tonight i just dont think he deserves a first team shirt. The 1st 15 mins he was on i think it was lucky if he took the ball up twice. He still seems very unfit, and lethargic. I watch him and he does seem to do a lot of plodding about but he doesnt get involved enough, and mostly he's always 2nd n 3rd man in. I know the Saints fans love him, but to me he is someone who is probably on an excellent wage but doesnt earn it. I look at Greenwood, Richards, Walmsley, Thompson, Savelio the effort they put in to mose's and their is so much difference. Mose also being the impact player, i get more excited when Savelio gets the ball near the line than mose. Cunningham and Longy want to have a word with him and say, "if you dont pull your socks up your being dropped"
    Theres a reason why Mose is never first man in. Who in there right mind is going to run at him. Think about it, who would be the last man you would run at.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    That's the strangest metaphor I've ever heard. Is there some innuendo between the cart and Mose?
    No but there is between PRAMtown and DUSTCART.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Can somebdoy get the stats from last nights game and the Catalans game so we compare the front rows stats?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Well renowned that Sam Tomkins was the league's top paid player on his last contract at Wigan and that was rumoured to be circa 300K a season.

A young kid will be on minimum wage effectively. Should he cement himself as a first team player, he'll likely go to around 30Kish. Should he then become a key player, that'll increase dramatically and the top end obviously has massive rewards.

They are well rewarded and a bit of criticism on a forum is to be expected. Don't like that criticism, don't become a sportsman.

Starting A Programme Collection Saint19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Great Day for RL View Post
    Can somebdoy get the stats from last nights game and the Catalans game so we compare the front rows stats?
    http://www.superleague.co.uk/report/10985 - Stats from the Salford game

http://www.superleague.co.uk/report/10968 - Stats from the Catalans game
    Not Arrogant. Just Better

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    No but there is between PRAMtown and DUSTCART.
    I Getcha!

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Well renowned that Sam Tomkins was the league's top paid player on his last contract at Wigan and that was rumoured to be circa 300K a season.

A young kid will be on minimum wage effectively. Should he cement himself as a first team player, he'll likely go to around 30Kish. Should he then become a key player, that'll increase dramatically and the top end obviously has massive rewards.

They are well rewarded and a bit of criticism on a forum is to be expected. Don't like that criticism, don't become a sportsman.

Sam Tomkins was said to have trebled his wages going to NZ. He's rumoured to be on 750k aus dollars a year there so around 400k uk money a year. 133k give or take then no doubt sky money on top for his work with them. No SL club can pay one individual that much money. 300k is over 15% of cap on one player

s salford
    Tackles m/t Carries metres avg
    Walmsley- 14 3 11 94 8.55
    Masoe- 11 2 8 60 7.5
    Amor - 20 3 18 125 6.94
    LSH- 14 0 10 99 9.9
    Savalio - 15 1 9 53 5.89

vs dragons
    Tackles m/t Carries metres avg
    Walmsley- 36 2 17 119 7
    Masoe- 15 0 6 46 7.67
    Amor - 29 1 15 97 6.47
    Richards - 25 2 10 19 6.33
    Savalio - 8 0 7 48 6.86

Basically the balance of our pack is good. We have three that are making a lot of carries and tackles (im not working out how much time they spent on the pitch) then two others that are still showing decent numbers who are im my opinion a luxury. What these stats do not show is how many defenders are attracted into tackling our props or how quick each play of the ball is. Two games in and certain 'fans' are calling for players to be dropped already, although we have had two convincing wins with dominant performances.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Sam Tomkins was said to have trebled his wages going to NZ. He's rumoured to be on 750k aus dollars a year there so around 400k uk money a year. 133k give or take then no doubt sky money on top for his work with them. No SL club can pay one individual that much money. 300k is over 15% of cap on one player
    I agree with the sentiments but that's absolutely what I read his contract was at Wigan. I recall it because it was an article on James Graham's move to the NRL which then put him on 300K a season and it explicitly stated that it matched the top wage in SL of Sam Tomkins.

It's obviously speculative and none of us really know. If Wigan wanted to pay a large percentage of their cap on one player, they are very able to. Not beyond the realms of possibility.

The wider point stands however that professional RL players are paid well and part of that is dealing with public criticism. The original point made was that I genuinely find it odd as to why anyone cares about folk being critical on a forum. It's part of what forums are for !

Unless the likes of Richards , Tommy Leuluai, O'Loughlin, McIlloram etc were on a lot less than they could of earned it cannot be true.

However as states criticism was the word not salary. The above stats put the criticism to bed. In another words, there is none to be had

What a load of b@llo@ks. We have been crying out for an enforcer for years, for a number of years clubs used to look forward to playing us because we were soft in the middle. Slap us about a bit and our young soft pack had no response. Teams would pick a fight with us at will and slap us about. But no longer, the prospect of getting a crack off a 20 stone monster has made teams think twice. With mose as back up players like Walmsley thompson lms and Co have really blossomed. One of the reasons why we are where we are is because of the balance between skill/talent/coaching and no small amount of aggression and fear factor. It's down right embarrassing that 12 months after mose turned us into a team with "bite" people are suggesting he's not needed. Get a bloody grip.
    Kinda reminds me of Kelvin Skerret in a way. Both have big plusses - we were just spoilt by the likes of Wardy!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EwloeSaint View Post
    Kinda reminds me of Kelvin Skerret in a way. Both have big plusses - we were just spoilt by the likes of Wardy!
    misread plusses then
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    The OP is a wind up merchant......or an idiot
    Either mantle fits comfortably.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Yeh get rid, he's useless.

Bring Feka in instead.

In The South Stand

That's not true. It was well documented a couple of years back that no leeds player earns more than 100k. It's some kind golf club rule. The top earner at saints is likely to be Roby on about 120k as a guess. Isnt he salary cap is roughly 1.65million? Our first team squad has about 25 players in it, plus we have academy contracts to fund. I think being realistic, a club will have 5 or 6 players on 100k (im guessing the likes of mose lance Roby wilkin walsh Travis wilkin) that's 700k, then you will have a few on 50-75 (vea amor Walmsley percival lomax makinson swift turner lms) that's 450k- 675k then you have your 30k lads playing for bigger contracts (greenwood thompson Dawson richards savelio flanagan and any other first team er that I haven't mentioned, so there's probably 300k taken up there. Anything left will fund the academy, some of those kids will literally be playing for expenses. Roby probably made his debut earning very little, then progressed up to the 100k bracket as his contract was improved. He's probably one of Saints biggest earners and will be lucky to break a million over his career. It really isn't as much as they deserve, but it's all the sport can afford to pay for now.

In The South Stand

Club rule not golf club rule.

In The West Stand

That's not true. It was well documented a couple of years back that no leeds player earns more than 100k. It's some kind golf club rule. The top earner at saints is likely to be Roby on about 120k as a guess. Isnt he salary cap is roughly 1.65million? Our first team squad has about 25 players in it, plus we have academy contracts to fund. I think being realistic, a club will have 5 or 6 players on 100k (im guessing the likes of mose lance Roby wilkin walsh Travis wilkin) that's 700k, then you will have a few on 50-75 (vea amor Walmsley percival lomax makinson swift turner lms) that's 450k- 675k then you have your 30k lads playing for bigger contracts (greenwood thompson Dawson richards savelio flanagan and any other first team er that I haven't mentioned, so there's probably 300k taken up there. Anything left will fund the academy, some of those kids will literally be playing for expenses. Roby probably made his debut earning very little, then progressed up to the 100k bracket as his contract was improved. He's probably one of Saints biggest earners and will be lucky to break a million over his career. It really isn't as much as they deserve, but it's all the sport can afford to pay for now.
    Academy products aren't on the cap. Only the top 25 players are on the cap (I think it correlates to the first 25 squad numbers, but that's only hearsay).

The official cap is £1.825mill (3.1.1*) which is an average of £73k per player before tax (I believe the commonly quoted 1.6m quoted is after tax iirc). On top of this there are complicating rules, such as the Elite training squad allowance (5.1.11*) allowing up to an extra £100k over that, and new player pool allowances (that aren't applicable to saints at this time). To further complicate it, a players salary cap value isn't in any way related to how much he actually gets paid.

5-10 players would be promoted academy products significantly under the 73k, a similar number will be around that average figure, leaving a big chunk for the top 5-8 players in the squad. I'd be very surprised if our highest paid player was only on 120k, I'd guess it's closer to 175k, if not higher. I have seen Hohaias salary to be quoted at 115k for example, and Roby, Mose, Walsh and probably Burns will top that at a guess. I seem to believe Chase is currently the top paid player in the league at 250k but can't remember where I read that.

* http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/rule...les?section=E1

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Not sure if it has changed now, but I think it used to be that players with more than 10 years at the club only half their salary counted. Also you had to have x No of juniors in the squad earning less than 20k each. Not sure if that is still the case.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Not sure if it has changed now, but I think it used to be that players with more than 10 years at the club only half their salary counted. Also you had to have x No of juniors in the squad earning less than 20k each. Not sure if that is still the case.

I think they could discount up to £50,000 across all players at the club who had been there over 10 years, but I'm not sure if the elite training squad player allowance replaced that.

Superbeetle usually hits it close to the mark on these things.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I think they could discount up to £50,000 across all players at the club who had been there over 10 years, but I'm not sure if the elite training squad player allowance replaced that.

Superbeetle usually hits it close to the mark on these things.
    Both are still in affect, but the rfl want both removed.

And thank you