Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Books about rugby league

Got A Season Ticket

Default Books about rugby league

As I've already said elsewhere, I'm a bit of a sports fanatic. And one of the things I like the most about sports is understanding their history, as it gives me a far greater sense of appreciation for the game.

I've read many autobiographies, books about the history of football and football tactics, as well as stuff about other sports I like such as baseball, tennis, basketball and even one about the history of rugby union (called "A Game For Hooligans").

I'm now looking for something about rugby league. Do you have any suggestions?

At first, I'd be more inclined to read something that is more of a general history of the sport, a bit like a league equivalent to "A Game For Hooligans" (union) or "The Ball Is Round" (football). Or maybe something about St Helens history in particular as it is now my adopted league side.

But I'd accept suggestions about anything rugby league related really, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Patience of a Saint by Mike Critchley is a must read for any St Helens supporter

I've got his latest one about the 2006 season but not had chance to read it

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Patience of a Saint by Mike Critchley is a must read for any St Helens supporter

I've got his latest one about the 2006 season but not had chance to read it
    Sounds good, just checked and it's available for Kindle which means I don't have to wait ages to have the actual book delivered here. Thanks

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

as good as it gets is a great read by Mike Critchley on the 2006 season.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    as good as it gets is a great read by Mike Critchley on the 2006 season.
    Read a bit about the 2006 season on wikipedia and what a great time to be a Saints fan it must have been! The books seems to be very interesting indeed

Got A Season Ticket

About that 2006 season, I've just finished watching the 1st half of the 2006 Super League Grand Final (Saints vs Hull) and what a game that was! Three beautiful tries and an extremely flowing, entertaining match. How good were the Saints then! Nice to see a young James Robin coming on as a substitute. Falling in love with this sport I am.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    About that 2006 season, I've just finished watching the 1st half of the 2006 Super League Grand Final (Saints vs Hull) and what a game that was! Three beautiful tries and an extremely flowing, entertaining match. How good were the Saints then! Nice to see a young James Robin coming on as a substitute. Falling in love with this sport I am.
    Finally finished watching that game and wow, it was superb. A lot of good performances but Paul Wellens in particular was immense. From the little rugby league I've watched so far, this 2006 grand final is my favorite game. Saints were incredible.

Funny thing is that I finally realised that current coach Cunningham is NOT the bearded man repeatedly shown by Sky Sports, but actually the guy seated by his side! Haha. If my google research is correct, the bearded man is Sean Long?

Correct Diego, the bearded chap is indeed Sean Long

Got A Season Ticket

Correct Diego, the bearded chap is indeed Sean Long
    Thanks mate.

So, to keep it on topic, any other book recommendations? I found these titles which seem to be quite interesting:

Rugby League: A Critical History 1980-2013

The Forbidden Game

Banned

If you want a heavy text book type read. Liverpool rugby league in. A football city.

Thanks mate.

So, to keep it on topic, any other book recommendations? I found these titles which seem to be quite interesting:

Rugby League: A Critical History 1980-2013

The Forbidden Game
    I don't think there is a particularly definitive history of rugby league available to be honest. Also I've found the standard of writing to be generally average - certainly compared to the golf or American Football books I've read

The first of those books is written by the ex editor of Rugby League World magazine, a publication I find pretty dull. It gets good reviews on Amazon though so may be worth a punt

I've read 100 Years of Rugby League (Ray Chesterton) about the game in Australia but it's very dry and not exactly riveting. There is a good State of Origin book though by Liam Hauser that is worth picking up as it's very well produced, probably difficult to find cheap though

Got A Season Ticket

For the history of the game try these three

Rugby's Great Split by Tony Collins
    At The George by Geoffrey Moorhouse
    Rugby League In "Twentieth Century Britain.

For novels written against a strong rugby league background, there is my 'One Winter'. This is set during the winter of 1962/63 in the fictional town of Ashurst which is situated just east of St Helens Junction with a background of romance, rock 'n' roll and rugby league. (Main character is a Saints fan!).
    'Rugby League: A United Game" by Peter Lush. This is based on the idea of what might have happened if the northern clubs had been in the majority in 1895.
    "The Glory and the Dream" by Ray Chester which is the story of a young boy growing up in post war Britain in a South Lancashire town and wanting to play rugby league just like his dad did.

Got A Season Ticket

I don't think there is a particularly definitive history of rugby league available to be honest. Also I've found the standard of writing to be generally average - certainly compared to the golf or American Football books I've read

The first of those books is written by the ex editor of Rugby League World magazine, a publication I find pretty dull. It gets good reviews on Amazon though so may be worth a punt

I've read 100 Years of Rugby League (Ray Chesterton) about the game in Australia but it's very dry and not exactly riveting. There is a good State of Origin book though by Liam Hauser that is worth picking up as it's very well produced, probably difficult to find cheap though
    Thanks for your comments/recommendations mate.

Quote Originally Posted by glee View Post
    For the history of the game try these three

Rugby's Great Split by Tony Collins
    At The George by Geoffrey Moorhouse
    Rugby League In "Twentieth Century Britain.

For novels written against a strong rugby league background, there is my 'One Winter'. This is set during the winter of 1962/63 in the fictional town of Ashurst which is situated just east of St Helens Junction with a background of romance, rock 'n' roll and rugby league. (Main character is a Saints fan!).
    'Rugby League: A United Game" by Peter Lush. This is based on the idea of what might have happened if the northern clubs had been in the majority in 1895.
    "The Glory and the Dream" by Ray Chester which is the story of a young boy growing up in post war Britain in a South Lancashire town and wanting to play rugby league just like his dad did.
    Thanks! So you are a writer? That's pretty cool - I've got lots of ideas but just don't have the talent or discipline to write things down, though I wish I did. Is your book available on Kindle?

Got A Season Ticket

Yes, I am a writer Diego. I first began to learn the noble art of writing in the late 1940s when I was at Knowsley Road school in St Helens and shared a desk with another writer, Ray French!
    In addition to One Winter (set during 1962/63), I have also written One Spring (set between 1972 and 1976), One Summer (set between 1979 and 1984), One Autumn (set during 1992 and 1993) and Two Seasons (set during 2002 and 2003). All have a strong local rugby league background and are also inspired by the old saying about being in work that "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller.
    One Winter, One Autumn and Two Seasons are all available on Kindle.
    Please feel free to PM me if you want a bit of advice or help. The more people that write about our great game, the better it will be.

Got A Season Ticket

Just to let you guys know that I've found some rugby league books for download on the internet. They are:

- Rugby's Great Split: Class, Culture and the Origins of Rugby League Football
    http://bookzz.org/book/918700/79821a

- Rugby League in Twentieth Century Britain: A Social and Cultural History
    http://bookzz.org/book/918700/79821a

I'm now looking for something about rugby league. Do you have any suggestions?

At first, I'd be more inclined to read something that is more of a general history of the sport, a bit like a league equivalent to "A Game For Hooligans" (union) or "The Ball Is Round" (football). Or maybe something about St Helens history in particular as it is now my adopted league side.

But I'd accept suggestions about anything rugby league related really, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

The Family Game: The Untold Story of Hooliganism in Rugby League: a great read and exactly how it was back in the day, particularly as a Saints fan.

All Local Lads: St Helens and Pilkington Recs Rugby League Football Club: from a "local" point of view.

Beyond the Heartlands: The History of the Rugby League Conference: is what the title suggests.

I've read just about every biography out there, so if you want any more advice, then pm me, I will be happy to help you if I can mate.