Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paul Gallen

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Offside Monkey View Post
    Peacock and Leuleiu are still going strong at almost 40.

Someone will probably correct me on the technical, but as you advance into your 30's your type 1 muscle tissue (fast twitch) deteriorates. This is why you lose your pace or, more accurately, speed of the mark. Your type 2 muscle tissue (slow twitch) doesn't start to go down hill until much later in life, so you can technically keep getting stronger until around the age of 40. This is why props can keep going so long.

If Gallen's looked after himself and any old injuries aren't causing him much jip, then he may still be a very good player at 35.

if we did sign him, its not like we'd be putting all our eggs in one basket and relying on him. I would be very excited about it.

Darren smith signed for us at 30+ then went back to playing NRL after he left (and played a game for the Aussie's immediately after his contract expired).

Funny that! my Missus was only saying the other day my Fast Twitch isn't what it used to be.

Sorry my hearing is going she said my First Touch, Alan Hansen has a lot to answer for.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Got A Season Ticket

I'm a massive fan of Paul Gallen like many on here, but I'm not a fan of signing a 35 year old Paul Gallen.

We are the Superleague champions and are currently on an UPWARD trend.

Gallen is a great forward but he's not even the best in Australia at the moment. How on Earth can we think about signing him in two years!

If he can improve our team then AND be value for money in 2017 then something will have gone seriously wrong at Saints and we will have missed a golden opportunity

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smiggy View Post
    You clearly know nothing of Paul Gallen
    I'm a huge fan of the NRL & Paul Gallen. My point is at 35 come early February 2017 he won't be the player you watched on your tv on November 30th 2013 in the World Cup final.

You have people moaning when our young players leave for Oz yet you seem happy for a 35 year old (then former) Australian international to take 3 or 4 of there places in the squad with his 120 + k a year salary.

All's I'm saying is I'd rather watch the next James Graham than a current Gordon Tallis

In The South Stand

Go on then lets sign him and let all these good probably great young forwards say stuff this I will sign for some other team, go on lets sign him and give him a pension, go on lets sign him and make Saints a laughing stock, or better still let some other club be mugs and let them sign him.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Go on then lets sign him and let all these good probably great young forwards say stuff this I will sign for some other team, go on lets sign him and give him a pension, go on lets sign him and make Saints a laughing stock, or better still let some other club be mugs and let them sign him.
    *cough* *cough* Hull

Amen, might dig out an old early 90's VHS and see what people think of signing Alfie Langer

In The West Stand

Personally, I would rather the club spend any money saved from the Lance Hohaia contract, on trying to get Luke Walsh to stay. He and Burns together for the duration of the Travis Burns contract would be brilliant.

I have a feeling that Gallen would be a good player at Super League level until he was 40. One of the few formidable Australian forwards around today.

I don't think he is for us as we have a number of good young forwards so we can afford to look at someone more long term. But he would be a good signing for someone.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

The Thinking man's La Franky no thank you.

The "G"reenwood train for me.

In The South Stand

Quality player now,but is he what we need in 2 years ? i doubt it. You also need a vocal halfback or hooker to keep him from getting in the way like he tends to at origin level,cant fault his passion,but he really took the ball far to much.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Personally, I would rather the club spend any money saved from the Lance Hohaia contract, on trying to get Luke Walsh to stay. He and Burns together for the duration of the Travis Burns contract would be brilliant.
    Whilst it would be good for the short term, we'd be looking at replacing both 6 & 7 at the same time again potentially.

As for Gallen, it's to hard to tell how he'll be in 2 years time. We really don't want another Perry situation.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

How long did Burns sign for???

However long it is we should be looking at trying to keep the ends of the contract for both of them on alternate years if possible.

Is Lance definitely off when his deal expires? We all know he's not a 6 in the same respect as Burns, but he's a handy utility player to have in the squad, albeit in a lesser contract than he is now. There's not many players that can cover 1, 3/4, 6, 7 and 9.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    Is Lance definitely off when his deal expires? We all know he's not a 6 in the same respect as Burns, but he's a handy utility player to have in the squad, albeit in a lesser contract than he is now. There's not many players that can cover 1, 3/4, 6, 7 and 9.
    In my opinion he will leave. Barring injuries, he is not a starter in any of the positions you mention. I believe he will be a bench player and I don't think he will be happy to play that role all season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

In my opinion he will leave. Barring injuries, he is not a starter in any of the positions you mention. I believe he will be a bench player and I don't think he will be happy to play that role all season.
    Even if he's happy to be a bench player, even on a reduced contract it'd still be a fair wedge that could be spent better elsewhere. Fingers crossed he goes and that we've learnt our lesson about 4 year contracts.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

I can see him getting snapped up on a two year deal down under. There were enquiries last year when the new concussion rules came out but the club's were spent up on the cap and couldn't accommodate his salary. I personally feel he's a good squad player to have - if he's prepared to be just that on a lesser contract.

Starting A Programme Collection

i would be disappointed if we sign him and to be fair why should we accpet that he feels he isnt good enough for the NRL but he is good enough for SL?

Got A Season Ticket Offside Monkey's Avatar

I think we might see Hohaia have a very impressive season as an impact hooker, running off our big pack.

Whilst he may not have had the easiest time here, as he said in his interview at the GF "All these years and I've finally won a premiership". Don't underestimate how much enjoying his final decent contract could sway him. Genuine impact at interchange hooker AND covers 9, 1, 6 & 7 to a half decent degree?