Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saints Vs. Wigan - MATCH THREAD

Default Saints Vs. Wigan - MATCH THREAD

Time for a pre-season dust up as the best team in the Northern Hemisphere take on the minty balled, humble pied, six fingered, cherry n shite.

Sunday at 3pm.

NOT on TV.

IS on Wish FM.

BEST viewed in the flesh at LP.

Wrap up warm, might be a bit parky.

Wish FM Sport will be broadcasting live from Langtree Park this afternoon.

Don’t miss out on any of the action, whether you are at LP, at home, the supermarket, gym, pub, mother-in-law's, or anywhere in the world!

Wish FM Sport can be found online globally at http://player.wishfm.net

Got a smartphone or tablet? Get the Wish FM app for iPhone and iPad or for Android

Make sure you Tweet Wish FM with your thoughts during the game @WishFMofficial

Follow Saints RFC Official Twitter feed for the latest news behind the scenes @Saints1890

And don't forget to follow RedVee.Net too! @RedVeeDotNet
    Last edited by RedVee Admin; 25th January 2015 at 08:34. Reason: Added the Wish FM details

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

It,s only a friendley but let em know we refuse to go away we are the red vee and that is so special that they will never work it out coys champions

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Live match commentary is on Wish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

No body tells me NOWT no more!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    No body tells me NOWT no more!

Learn to live with it.

Get 'em smashed!!!

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

Anyone know how much tickets are on the gate?
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by craigo12 View Post
    Your on the internet right?

Quote Originally Posted by craigo12 View Post
    http://m.saintsrlfc.com/tickets/page/4521
    What it doesn't say is whether they are allocated; anyone know?

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Learning All The Songs

Looking forward to it. Two pair of socks, two jumpers, and a hot flask. Roll on Summer rugby

Starting A Programme Collection SaintJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Looking forward to it. Two pair of socks, two jumpers, and a hot flask. Roll on Summer rugby
    Hat? Two pairs of trousers?? Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONCE A SAINT, ALWAYS A SAINT

Game underway, Saints receive the ball with Makinson, Pie Scum Crosby comes in for the first tackle, knees first, and it's on.

BIFFFFFFF

Starting A Programme Collection grahamk's Avatar

Saints 10-0 up. Swifty try no goal.

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

Masoe just backhanded "micky" 10 yards. Quality

Learning All The Songs

Don't want to go overboard , but the difference from last season is obvious, forwards very dominant, lots of creativity in the halves. seeif we can keep it going for the second half but an excellent performance so far

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Sounds like Wigan up to usual tactics and getting away with it. Seems like we're pretty good in attack with a couple of no tries and held up over the line. All this without Walsh in the line up either. How are Burns & Vea getting g on.
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Sounds like Wigan up to usual tactics and getting away with it. Seems like we're pretty good in attack with a couple of no tries and held up over the line. All this without Walsh in the line up either. How are Burns & Vea getting g on.
    Very well so far. Burns nailed an awesome 40 20 just before and Vea is looking really solid but given a couple on pens away.

Re Wigan they have had 3 warnings from the ref. Tomkins put an awful knee challenge in Lomaxs back which was just disgusting. Very good first half and we don't look fully fit! Good times hopefully!

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Very well so far. Burns nailed an awesome 40 20 just before and Vea is looking really solid but given a couple on pens away.

Re Wigan they have had 3 warnings from the ref. Tomkins put an awful knee challenge in Lomaxs back which was just disgusting. Very good first half and we don't look fully fit! Good times hopefully!
    Great to hear, not about the pies tactics though. But, you wouldn't expect anything less. Trying to intimate us early on and obviously failed. What was Mose's hit on McIllorum like???
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

joe greenwoods gonna be unstoppable with the extra bulk he's put on. i said 2 years back i thought he was the pick of our youngsters
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

I thought Saints handling was first class. We dominated possession 1st half and you could see Burns will give us that bit of niggle. 2nd half some silly penalties and silly passes gifted Wigan possession. Very pleased with our tackling and fitness levels. Some concern about injuries. Lomax, Burns, Turner all limped off. Wilkin kicked very well. With the little possession we had 2nd half we looked far more enterprising than Wigan. Pleased with the movement, fitness & tackling. Wigan have a lot of work to do and seem to rely heavily on Smith re the kicking

Noooobie

Superb first half, brawl on the first tackle set the tone. Played all the first team regulars bar Walsh. Intensity was worthy of SL derby. Really aggressive in the tackle, beat Wigan pack up. Vea will be crowd fav, non stop and Sia esq. Burns tough and niggling, upsetting Pies all afternoon. One great 40/20 and nearly another. Percival superb. Savelio had short bursts, bounces through tackles and great offloads. Cunningham influence round the ruck, options everywhere and quick hands. 22-0 nil at HT. Silly pens and sloppy handling for 25mins second half, they scored a scoot and a howler by Turner let them in. Got it back on track last 15min, scored a good try and with better options could have had two more. Won 28-12, 6,500 there. All bodes well, very impressive first half, aggression was the key and slick handling. Thoroughly enjoyable.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Very impressed today. Greenwood, Thompson, Burns, Vea especially.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Listened on the radio.

Few points that I caught on.

One, Saints' front row is its main strength. Our props go forward relentlessly. It's an area I've felt we've gradually got on top of Wigan over the course of last year and it sounded similar again. I was concerned that McIlorum would have a massive impact on our dominance of the middle of the field but it didn't sound like he was able to prevent us going forward at will whatsoever. Crosby, Clubb and Wigan's young props aren't going to cut it against our front row. Tautai coming in will help them a lot.

Aggression. This is key to our marked improvement against them. We aren't shying away from it. They tried it again on the very first tackle and again, we responded. The bullying is over. Once you are prepared to take their fire on, they have very, very little to throw back.

I'll be interested to see highlights. Is Greenwood playing down that left channel in the second row ? I mention this because his impact on games appears to be growing. I felt that wouldn't happen down the middle and would only occur down the left. He's someone I've commented on for a while that genuinely does run exceptional lines and I've been waiting for him to be used down that channel rather than central, as he was early last season under Brown. The added size they mentioned he's put on will make him a very, very good second row forward. I do hope we use him there.

Burns sounded like everything we need. A hot head defensively but a cool head with the ball. Perfect foil. It's amazing to think we've basically beaten Wigan now three times in a row without the best organising half in the competition. Put Walsh back into this team, behind our pack, and we'll be incredibly tough to compete with.

Percival sounded very threatening. Really excited about this lad for the new season. I reckon we'll see a 'break out' season from him. Wouldn't at all be shocked if he scores 15/20 tries this year.

Only a friendly so not worth going overboard. Wigan will be much better come the season's end. However, I fancy us again this year. I really do.
    Last edited by SS; 25th January 2015 at 18:19.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Listened on the radio.

Few points that I caught on.

One, Saints' front row is its main strength. Our props go forward relentlessly. It's an area I've felt we've gradually got on top of Wigan over the course of last year and it sounded similar again. I was concerned that McIlorum would have a massive impact on our dominance of the middle of the field but it didn't sound like he was able to prevent us going forward at will whatsoever. Crosby, Clubb and Wigan's young props aren't going to cut it against our front row. Tautai coming in will help them a lot.

Aggression. This is key to our marked improvement against them. We aren't shying away from it. They tried it again on the very first tackle and again, we responded. The bullying is over. Once you are prepared to take their fire on, they have very, very little to throw back.

I'll be interested to see highlights. Is Greenwood playing down that left channel in the second row ? He's someone I've commented on for a while that genuinely does run exceptional lines and I've been waiting for him to be used down that channel rather than central, as he was early last season under Brown. The added size they mentioned he's put on will make him a very, very second row forward. I do hope we use him there.

Burns sounded like everything we need. A hot head defensively but a cool head with the ball. Perfect foil. It's amazing to think we've basically beaten Wigan now three times in a row without the best organising half in the competition. Put Walsh back into this team, behind our pack, and we'll be incredibly tough to compete with.

Percival sounded very threatening. Really excited about this lad for the new season. I reckon we'll see a 'break out' season from him. Wouldn't at all be shocked if he scores 15/20 tries this year.

Only a friendly so not worth going overboard. Wigan will be much better come the season's end. However, I fancy us again this year. I really do.
    I went to the game and don't disagree with any of that.

Greenwood played the 1st half at left 2nd row and was very very good. Ran superb lines out wide and looked dangerous. He came back on in the 2nd half on the right and scored again.

I love Burns. He was in Farrel's face all day and really got under his skin. Farrell lost his rag and gave a penalty away for petulantly throwing the ball away. Burns is the type of player that really aggravates the opposition. He is very aggressive in defence but very smart with the ball. Kicked a 40/20 and came close with another.

Percival was very dangerous and I like the look of him on the right with Makinson and Turner/Swift on the other side.

Loads of positives from today and it's really whet the appetite for the Catalans game.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS