Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Captain Jon Wilkin

Learning All The Songs

Did I hear Wilkin say on merseyside that turner would make a good capt in the future. That may be so but it won't be here because as a so called top centre he is average. He very rarely breaks a tackle or can find a gap to get away. Infact so much so I'd sooner have Dawson at centre because he's more chance of breaking a tackle. If turner didn't play centre I wouldn't know where to play him. The only reason the club signed him was that try he scored for hull at LP. Something he very rarely does at LP

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

He's no way as bad as your eluding to but captain is a bridge too far I agree.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    He's no way as bad as your eluding to but captain is a bridge too far I agree.
    I agree. He also a very good "wingers centre," as Makinson try scoring record will prove.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I agree. He also a very good "wingers centre," as Makinson try scoring record will prove.

Not only that. His form as a number 13 in both the play offs and the Grand Final was quite exceptional in attack and defence.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Not only that. His form as a number 13 in both the play offs and the Grand Final was quite exceptional in attack and defence.
    He certainly stepped up when needed but captain material I'm not so convinced

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    He certainly stepped up when needed but captain material I'm not so convinced

Given time he may show more leadership qualities, who knows ? Personally I'm quite happy with him just being a team member.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Given time he may show more leadership qualities, who knows ? Personally I'm quite happy with him just being a team member.
    I think his presence within the squad is growing but we'll see. The more leaders in the side the better and hopefully the experience of playing through the middle of the field (either in the halves or at 13) will prove to be beneficial this year in that respect.

I think anyone who takes on the number 3 shirt at this club has an added pressure in a sense when you think about Lyon and Gidley in particular. I don't think Turner is the greatest centre we've had but when he plays well he's a good player. He had some poor spells last year at centre but when he found some form he looked dangerous in my opinion. As indicated earlier, shows some nice touches and Makinson certainly benefited from having him inside him last year.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket chesterxiii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I think his presence within the squad is growing but we'll see. The more leaders in the side the better and hopefully the experience of playing through the middle of the field (either in the halves or at 13) will prove to be beneficial this year in that respect.

I think anyone who takes on the number 3 shirt at this club has an added pressure in a sense when you think about Lyon and Gidley in particular. I don't think Turner is the greatest centre we've had but when he plays well he's a good player. He had some poor spells last year at centre but when he found some form he looked dangerous in my opinion. As indicated earlier, shows some nice touches and Makinson certainly benefited from having him inside him last year.
    Personally I'd rather his presence grew in another team. I'd rather have Percival in at No.3 along side Makinson. A player like Lyon only seems to come around every 10 years or more, so Percy has got another few years to prove his self. Turner never will IMHO.
    Am I a glass half full type of person? Yes ! But every now and then, some bugger knocks my drink over!

"If you are an alien, then how comes you sound like you're from the North?"
    "Lots of planets have a North !"

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Did I hear Wilkin say on merseyside that turner would make a good capt in the future. That may be so but it won't be here because as a so called top centre he is average. He very rarely breaks a tackle or can find a gap to get away. Infact so much so I'd sooner have Dawson at centre because he's more chance of breaking a tackle. If turner didn't play centre I wouldn't know where to play him. The only reason the club signed him was that try he scored for hull at LP. Something he very rarely does at LP
    i said 18 months back (and again mid 2014) that turner screamed captain material with the way he carries himself. i got laughed at, as usual
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Based on last year Turners best position is 13 for me, he has the creativity for sure.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    i said 18 months back (and again mid 2014) that turner screamed captain material with the way he carries himself. i got laughed at, as usual
    Turner may also scream capt and carried himself well. But if we were hoping to get the Turner who scored that try for FC at Langtree it's obvious we aren't. Even people are saying he's best at LF now, I would have liked saints to have got another centre alas we haven't. So turner is going to have to do his turn this season. I think we're fine in the pack, n at full back but it's the centres where we might struggle. One very positive note is we won't be short of gk again this season

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Based on last year Turners best position is 13 for me, he has the creativity for sure.

Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    You cannot be serious!