Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Karalius Cup - MATCH THREAD

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Only question from me.....

Have the likes of Percival, Thompson, Richards, Greenwood, Savelio put on increased bulk with the preseason ?
    Thompson Richards and Greenwood looked like they had.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Greenwood has really filled out, he looked really strong, played well. Looking forward to him getting more game time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Only played 1st half. Put dawson away with 2 nice passes and got held up over the line himself. Did well. 2nd half was very disjointed with numerous changes.
    Loved the way their fans celebrated like they had won the grand final despite us playing a virtual u19s team for most of the second half.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Only question from me.....

Have the likes of Percival, Thompson, Richards, Greenwood, Savelio put on increased bulk with the preseason ?
    I didn't go so can't comment on how they looked but according to Cunningham, Savelio has lost 2 stone!!

http://saintsrlfc.com/news/page/4680

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

To me Dawson is a centre come winger.

The best games he has had for Saints that I have seen he played centre. But we have better options at Centre. And last year they did not get injured.

Where as on the wing, swift had a rough patch in defence and Dawson covered that aspect better. However Swift seemed to have sorted that part of his game out by the end of the year.

I think Dawson is a good signing as he can cover the back 3 positions very competently. He's not in my starting 17, but as a squad player who can push a player who is down on his game out of a team he fills that role perfectly.

You can pick other better wingers and other better centre's, but would they come to Saints, what would be the pay increase and how long would they stand playing second fiddle to Swift and Makinson??? In a salary capped sport he is a perfect squad player. For similar reasons I like Jones, good SL second rower and centre, invaluable to a team like Saints.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by CHANNEL22 View Post
    Don't need to cover the radio.
    I don't know! there are some messy eaters at Saints the PA was bad enough so we don't want stew on the radio.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

well done tto saints too the match centre was excellent coverage of the game, love the set up of notes etc

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Right I enjoyed it, I hate saying it because I feel Dawson is a genuine lad. He is Oldham/Swinton standard.
    Have to say I agree.If Swift had his chances in the first half I think he would have scored.He plays well at centre but I don't think he quite has the pace needed for a winger.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Who was captain yesterday I never noticed and have the club said who will be captain for season yet

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Have to say I agree.If Swift had his chances in the first half I think he would have scored.He plays well at centre but I don't think he quite has the pace needed for a winger.
    Dawson should be nowhere near our squad!!! He is not a Superleague player and God only knows why Brown brought him with him. The worrying thing is the present caching staff are playing him as well. The sooner Kes takes up his apparent need for a wing/centre the better, as Turner comes not far behind him.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Dawson should be nowhere near our squad!!! He is not a Superleague player and God only knows why Brown brought him with him. The worrying thing is the present caching staff are playing him as well. The sooner Kes takes up his apparent need for a wing/centre the better, as Turner comes not far behind him.
    Not sure how you can compare Dawson with Turner or is this all based upon the rubbish flying around last season. Turner had the last laugh though and he wasn't slow in letting people know. Didn't blame him either.

Anyway shall we get a couple of games out of the way first before people start ripping him to bits again Jeez!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Got A Replica Shirt

Fully sgree . Need a top class centre to go with Percival.

Learning All The Songs

I think we've found our first scapegoat of the new season. Is it that date already?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    I think we've found our first scapegoat of the new season. Is it that date already?
    It wouldn't be redvee without someone getting a good kicking. That being said, Dawson was terrible yesterday. He had 3 good chances to do something and didn't actually manage to do anything. Chances need to be taken when they come. He also managed to knock on when tracking back for a kick and facing his own line. Let's hope he isn't taking up much of the salary cap, as he's only likely to start if there's a real shortage, and with the young lad (ashworth?) Having a decent second half, maybe Dawson should start looking elsewhere.

We could always do something revolutionary like let the coaches have a go at training him up. Seems people said we were understandably rusty, but he wasn't allowed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post
    Not sure how you can compare Dawson with Turner or is this all based upon the rubbish flying around last season. Turner had the last laugh though and he wasn't slow in letting people know. Didn't blame him either.

Anyway shall we get a couple of games out of the way first before people start ripping him to bits again Jeez!

I think the point he's making is Turner isn't a first class centre - and he's correct. Can't knock him for his work switching position back end of last year but average centre play at best last year. Hope he improves this season, he needs to.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Smiggy View Post
    I think the point he's making is Turner isn't a first class centre - and he's correct. Can't knock him for his work switching position back end of last year but average centre play at best last year. Hope he improves this season, he needs to.
    Well Makinson didn't do badly from being outside him. Plus the fact that I suspect you will see more from him this year with better service out of the middle. Percival is all quality and certainly one of the most natural centres I have seen, but Turner is no donkey and was player of the year in his first season at centre. Would like to see him get a go at 13 at some point but I suspect until Jack Ashworth is deemed ready that won't happen as I am sure the coaching staff are aware Dawson is a squad player when everyone else is performing.

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

Dawson is good cover for injuries but shouldn't be in the starting team, easy enough. Nothing wrong with Turner as a centre, maybe not a world beater but he put Makinson away a good few times last season. I think a lot of people forget all the good he does for the few mistakes he's made.
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I agree Joe Greenwood caught the eye.

It wasn't a bad game blow the cobwebs away.
    Div at a Friendly!?!! :0
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

[QUOTE=DD;Div at a Friendly!?!! :0[/QUOTE]

Its not that unusual !

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post

I base my comments on what I saw for the whole of last season. Did you see Turner's master class of passing in the friendly? Ok, it was a friendly, but that's no excuse for not being able to hit a man with a pass. His decision making, options in attack and dodgy defence lead me to suggest we need a quality centre to replace him. Percival has a big future and has the ability to be top class. At this stage of his career it would be useful to have a seasoned centre alongside him - you can but dream.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Did Vea play? How did he look?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Did Vea play? How did he look?
    Soliola he isn't! Fairly quiet game but will be useful addition. Didn't have any running chances as the Widnes defence was quite tight. Will take a few games for him to gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    From KC's post match comments, it sounds like Savelio is going to get a real chance this season
    Savelio for me was the most impressive yesterday, with Greenwood a close second. Widnes had difficulty in putting him down and he made good progress up the field. His half break and flick pass was quality. With good attitude and coaching could be a real star in the pack.

Savelio for me was the most impressive yesterday, with Greenwood a close second. Widnes had difficulty in putting him down and he made good progress up the field. His half break and flick pass was quality. With good attitude and coaching could be a real star in the pack.
    "could be a real star in the pack" yeh but unfortunately probably in the NRL as he's already stated he's Aus bound.