Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Game The Saints Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    This one for me. Although we just lost it was clear that with the Newlove signing we could compete both on and off the field.

1996 then brought the double. ............
    Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    That regal trophy game was in 96 I think and pretty much saw the end of Eric Hughes. Although I can't really say I ever enjoy a game we lose , after this one I just had a sense of much greater things to come.
    This one for me too, it set the stage for the bigger and better things to come. Scott Gibbs had a rugby union moment and laid the ball back for RadlinskI to score his easiest try ever! Iirc KC got the MOM award too.

Got A Season Ticket saint mully's Avatar

A few good candidates already been mentioned.
    And, impossible as it is to think of it fondly, the 2011 GF was probably exciting for the neutral.
    [CENTER]
    100% League
    0% Union

ST HELENS - SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS... AND STILL THE MOST SUCCESSFUL CLUB OF THE SL ERA!

Learning All The Songs

19 : 18 at Wembley v Halifax

Went there as red hot favourites and blew it

Mark Elia had the ball knocked out of his hands when over the line

One of the last standing Wembley games if I remember right

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    no mate hes referring to the game played on a hot summers evening in 2006. hull surprised us that day and IIRC paul cooke had a blinder for them kicking a monster drop goal
    Thanks Pal. Was I dreaming about that game in the fog? Some humerous chanting from the Hull fans in the Eddington about not seeing anything

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Thanks Pal. Was I dreaming about that game in the fog? Some humerous chanting from the Hull fans in the Eddington about not seeing anything
    no that happened too!
    rd 1 of 2010 and sean longs first game for hull i think
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Haha, his first game but not appearance. No one could see him

Noooobie

What about the Saints 2nd or 3rd team that nearly beat Catalans away in 2006 just before Wembley.
    The average age was about 20.
    Stacey jones won it on the death for the Dragons.
    Everyone was chuffed except a very young Jammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Leeds in the play-offs at KR in 2005. We had been battered with injuries and didn't have much of a cvhance but Jamie Lyon nearly beat them on his own in the second half. I've never left a match we had lost more proud and happy.
    What a game that was! IMO, Jamie Lyon's greatest moment in the red vee. Scored twice and laid one on a plate. We were getting comfortably beaten, and he dragged us back into the game on his own. We saw his true individual class that night.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    What a game that was! IMO, Jamie Lyon's greatest moment in the red vee. Scored twice and laid one on a plate. We were getting comfortably beaten, and he dragged us back into the game on his own. We saw his true individual class that night.
    he won us a few games on his own that year. salford away and leigh away. we would have lost both those games without him. a hat trick in the salford game and in the leigh game he came off the bench, scored a hat trick and kicked goals from everywhere!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    he won us a few games on his own that year. salford away and leigh away. we would have lost both those games without him. a hat trick in the salford game and in the leigh game he came off the bench, scored a hat trick and kicked goals from everywhere!
    Spot on. Those two away games you mentioned plus one away at Bradford when we hammered them really stand out to me when I think of Lyon.

I remember the Salford game really clearly. We were awful that day and it was as though Lyon thought to himself he better go and win it for us. He scored one down the touchline with unbelievable skill at the far end from the away fans. He dragged us out of the sh!te at Leigh too.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Replica Shirt FW de KLERK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    The 1978 cup final at Wembley, an unbelievable atmosphere and match which we should have won but lost
    That's the one I would have said. Did you know also that Saints sold more tickets for that final than any other club in the history of the Challenge Cup, 42,000?

I also remember vividly a game against Salford in 1975, Lancashire Cup semi final at Knowsley Road. Salford were riding high in the league and they came to Saints (who were reigning champions) full of confidence. We thought it was hilarious when Saints scored first through Frank Wilson and how we were going to turn the tables only for Salford to immediately hit back again and again and again. 5 -15 at half time and final score 8 -21. Salford and in particular Mike Coulman, took us apart that night

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FW de KLERK View Post
    That's the one I would have said. Did you know also that Saints sold more tickets for that final than any other club in the history of the Challenge Cup, 42,000?
    42,000 is a massive following , out of interest , were did you get that figure / information from ?

Learning All The Songs

Saints 10 - 11 Fev challenge cup 1983. We only had to turn up because the game was already won. But little fev shocked us in a thriller of a game. I was in total shock for years to come because we had lost. We had been talking about how we'd get to wembley little did we know that we'd actually lose. I'd love to see the game again as I never watched it on video I was just too upset. Looked a good crowd on that day as well and it was on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    42,000 is a massive following , out of interest , were did you get that figure / information from ?
    I was told many years ago by a relative of recently deceased Joe Seddon. It has been mentioned to me by numerous others including Graham Liptrot and an ex-player I worked with who shall remain anonymous. In 1980 - 1981 I was at Leicester Polytechnic and a mate of mine was a Leeds supporter.He gloated on the fact that Leeds won despite being vastly outnumbered by Saints supporters who were in all sections of the ground that day. I can only conclude that Saints supporters were turning up in those kind of numbers hoping to see a repeat of 1976 and of course Leeds were the holders having beat Widnes the previous year.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FW de KLERK View Post
    I was told many years ago by a relative of recently deceased Joe Seddon. It has been mentioned to me by numerous others including Graham Liptrot and an ex-player I worked with who shall remain anonymous. In 1980 - 1981 I was at Leicester Polytechnic and a mate of mine was a Leeds supporter.He gloated on the fact that Leeds won despite being vastly outnumbered by Saints supporters who were in all sections of the ground that day. I can only conclude that Saints supporters were turning up in those kind of numbers hoping to see a repeat of 1976 and of course Leeds were the holders having beat Widnes the previous year.
    I remember the game very well , I was 13 years old and heartbroke at the end , Saints scored first I think ?
    And I can remember John Holmes slipping when taking a drop goal and it still went over

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    I remember the game very well , I was 13 years old and heartbroke at the end , Saints scored first I think ?
    And I can remember John Holmes slipping when taking a drop goal and it still went over
    I know how you felt. Having won at both my previous Wembley appearances in '72 and '76, and being winners in '56, '61 and '66 losing wasn't even a consideration so it was very deflating at the time. I still believe John Atkinson scored from a forward pass and right at the end I can still see these 3 Leeds supporters in front of us, who were nice chaps with whom we had built up a rapport, turning away with their heads in their hands as the ball went along the line only for you know what to happen. Like the rest of us they couldn't believe Saints hadn't scored and nicked it right at the end!

You're right also, the aforementioned Lippy scored very early on, suggesting it would be a walk in the park. Bill Francis played a blinder whilst George Nicholls got the Lance Todd and a loser's medal. A great game for the neutrals though.

Derek Noonan RIP. He was a very good player who will sadly be remembered for that fateful day. I don't think the ball ever went into his hands having watched the replay countless times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmZ5T_2c9c

Check this out at 2.45. Forward or what?

And this at 1.20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmZ5T_2c9c

Bill Francis, great player.

Banned

Bill Francis, what a player to divide opinions. I did not doubt his talent but I never thought his heart was really in it.

In The South Stand

Nice to see scrums like scrums and the ball came out quickly, the scrum half looks like a scrum half.