Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RU Salary Cap

Learning All The Songs

26,000 for the first game of a relocated franchise is pretty impressive - TV said gave away 3000 to schools but even so

Especially when 80 miles away from the traditional supporter base

Must be a lot of lessons to learn from this

From a business move think for Wasps is good. new stadium + close proximity to Leicester and Northants for local rivalries. A fanbase in waiting ie Coventry fans and no competitior clubs anywhere along the m40.

Although simply could be the RU panicking about our encroaching into their areas ie Gloucester Oxford and now Coventry in League 2. Perhaps they are just shoring up their Northern borders

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Seriously, no offence, we all need to get over this rugby union salary cap will steal all our players business. There is no doubting rugby as most team sports do, have players with short careers. Them players are always going to be looking to make what they can in that short space of time.

Fact - the super league doesn't make enough money collectively to compete/match RU salary caps whether it be in this country or France and it is unlikely it ever will.

Fact - if we continue to produce world class RL players they COULD see RU as a pot of gold & jump ship

We will never change the above. I for one firmly believe when one talented player leaves RL if all clubs are investing properly in youth development a future replacement for that player will sprout up. I certainly won't stop watching RL no matter which player decides to try his hand at RU.

It's time we stopped worrying about what other sports are doing and concentrate on supporting our own

rant over
    You have some good objective points then go and spoil it saying ". . .unlikely it ever will" and "We will never change the above." I'm sure you could say you are being realistic rather then pessimistic and if the current circumstances don't change your predictions for the future could well be right. Predictions though, are what they are and based purely om an assumption there will be no change. Yes the success of RL boards in marketing the game has been poor.

As we all know things can change. What about that little tiff that spawned the Northern Union, the advent of Superleague, the start of professional RU. Clearly the latter has moved the balance even further to RU. However realistic quotes as you have made based purely on conjecture, no matter how likely, may be viewed as negativity by others. As I have stated in other quotes I firmly believe a winner in business or sport has to rise above such negative positions to progress. Any fool can do well when all the cards are stacked in their favour.

I also disagree with "It's time we stopped worrying about what other sports are doing and concentrate on supporting our own". The are merely competition in the business of RL and like any business it is dangerous to ignore that otherwise your plans may go to waste and the opposition catches more market share than expected. Indeed the RL should be very much focused on how to counter what is happening elsewhere (RU, American football at Wembley, Footy) while promoting other actions that arent affected by competition too.

Granted they haven't done well so far but we must not give up.

Worcester aren't far off M40!!!

By the way dont apologize by saying rant over you are entitled to express your opinion. It's healthy and responses are too from which a half way house can often come out and good things happen. We just need so decent fellas or women in charge at the RFL.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

DOes the move of Wasps out of London mean that RU's london project has failed???

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    For the record, Sale got a still poor crowd of 5,200 on Friday. Their (RU Premiership) crowds are better than ours domestically, not much better but still better. I think in League we should keep the cap, but it certainly needs increasing. Sky money now covers the salary cap, so over the course of the next 5 years there should be a gradual increase. I'd also advocate cap exemptions for clubs that produce England internationals and home-grown players in the 25 man squad.

And the whole Wasps saga is disgraceful. Abandoning your fanbase and moving 80 miles up the road is outrageous. They got a huge crowd today, it'll be interesting to see what happens in a years time when the novelty wears off. It is rare that planting a team in a location without the ground work being done first is successful.
    I seem to remember both Paris St German (RL) and North Wales got big crowds in their first game- then the novelty wore off.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I seem to remember both Paris St German (RL) and North Wales got big crowds in their first game- then the novelty wore off.
    The difference is that neither were based in RL heartlands. The West Midlands, however, has a massive union presence but has been without a top side since the demise of Coventry and Moseley both of whom were bigger clubs than either of their East Midlands rivals, Leicester and Northampton.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EwloeSaint View Post
    By the way dont apologize by saying rant over you are e titled to express your opinion. It's healthy and responses are too from which a half way house can often come out and good things happen. We just need so decent fellas or women in charge at the RFL.
    To be fair and i am no apologist of the RFL but they do seem to be finally getting their act together,the World Cup was a success,the new league structure i believe will be the way forward,they have agreed a long term television deal which will give greater stability to all clubs,promotion and relegation,the challenge cup will soon be back in may,attendances should increase as the vast majority of games are on the season ticket,a lot of work still to be done,but going in the right direction in my opinion.

Before anyone starts on me, it's a fact that the NFL is the most commercially successful sport in the world. I don't watch it much, I get bored but from a business point of view, it's broadcast rights alone are £13 billion pounds a year. It has a salary cap directly related to revenue, not the handouts of the affluent few. It's draft process tries to ensure that every team will have their day. Perhaps The Premier League, Rugby Union and RFL should look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Before anyone starts on me, it's a fact that the NFL is the most commercially successful sport in the world. I don't watch it much, I get bored but from a business point of view, it's broadcast rights alone are £13 billion pounds a year. It has a salary cap directly related to revenue, not the handouts of the affluent few. It's draft process tries to ensure that every team will have their day. Perhaps The Premier League, Rugby Union and RFL should look at this.
    The difference is that the principal new-player pool is US college-based and the draft system can be fitted onto that. Additionally, the size of the player roster is standard across the teams; there is no prospect of relegation given the fixed number of franchises; there are several cities and potential owners who would like to gain an NFL franchise should an existing one fall foul of the governing body; and the game is primarily US based. All of this facilitates the imposition of a draft system controlled by the governing body which aims to equalise the teams but which is almost certainly not transferable to most global sports.

Learning All The Songs

The US draft system is good in theory but agree difficult to implement over here in the same way

Looking back our ignoring the player drain to NRL and Union the salary cap has achieved some of what it wanted to do ie break up what was the big 4 of Saints, Wigan, Leeds and Bradford.

In recent years we have had Huddersfield and Castleford doing well in regular season. Huddersfield, Catalans & Hull have made it to Wembley. Hull, Warrington and even lesser clubs like Wigan have made it to Grand Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    The US draft system is good in theory but agree difficult to implement over here in the same way

Looking back our ignoring the player drain to NRL and Union the salary cap has achieved some of what it wanted to do ie break up what was the big 4 of Saints, Wigan, Leeds and Bradford.

In recent years we have had Huddersfield and Castleford doing well in regular season. Huddersfield, Catalans & Hull have made it to Wembley. Hull, Warrington and even lesser clubs like Wigan have made it to Grand Finals.
    Love it . . . "even lesser clubs like Wigan have made it to Grand Finals"

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon1964 View Post
    To be fair and i am no apologist of the RFL but they do seem to be finally getting their act together,the World Cup was a success,the new league structure i believe will be the way forward,they have agreed a long term television deal which will give greater stability to all clubs,promotion and relegation,the challenge cup will soon be back in may,attendances should increase as the vast majority of games are on the season ticket,a lot of work still to be done,but going in the right direction in my opinion.
    Cant disagree with you on any of that. I wouldn't expect any RL managing body to get everything right and at least they are trying something new. Be nice if they can have a long term strategy as part of it all. Sure some adjustments on the way but underneath a well through plan to growm the game steadily and ensure that growth is sustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by el ste View Post
    and no wonder Sale are opposed to change - 1800 watching them on friday night!
    . . . and now Cipriani being linked with a move to Toulon

Can you blame him? Playing before one man and his dog with no prospect of returning to England or the sunny climes of Toulon in a champion club in La Belle France.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EwloeSaint View Post
    Cant disagree with you on any of that. I wouldn't expect any RL managing body to get everything right and at least they are trying something new. Be nice if they can have a long term strategy as part of it all. Sure some adjustments on the way but underneath a well through plan to growm the game steadily and ensure that growth is sustainable.
    I think they realise that they have to give this new structure time,the new format is part of the reason SKY bought into a new contract,so it will last at least to the end of the new contract.As Saints supporters we want to win everything,but for the good of the competition we have to have at least 8 very competitive teams and the championship teams really having a good go at gaining promotion,there really has to be jeopardy involved in being in the bottom 4 no good the super league teams knowing they will automatically regain their position

Listening to TalkSport this morning Brian Moore was saying how the RU payments in France has had a knock on effect of virtually bankrupting the RU in Australia and New Zealand. Also said he can't see the cap being removed in England as it's a minority who want it.
    Last edited by EwloeSaint; 23rd December 2014 at 11:33. Reason: Added extra comment

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Maybe an aside but...

I watched the Bath - Gloucester game over the weekend. It was an awful spectacle. After 12 collapsed scrums the ref had to declare uncontested scrums to get one where the ball actually came out. It think it was 68 minutes in before anyone scored a legitimate point that wasn't from a penalty caused by a collapsed scrum or collapsed maul.

I have absolutely no idea why that game is so popular compared to League and there is so much money in a game that offers such poor value to spectators.
    I had to turn Gloucester v Bath off. Pity, because the Northampton v Leicester game before it was very entertaining

Got A Season Ticket

I cannot believe the chip on the shoulder of the fans on this sight, rugby union is a game with a lot of technique and sometimes games are good even without tries, yes there are problems but just accept it is a different sport that some people enjoy it is nothing to do with toffs as in the north west now league players are playing in the league close season. I stopped watching Saints 2 years ago because of the boring rugby and league has got even worse in the last 2 seasons, I have travelled around watching union and the pre match is far superior to league even at lower levels league is pub rugby at best at lower levels at least at a union match the supporter comraderie is much better