Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bbc get inspired list of sports - error

Got A Season Ticket Gill O'Mild's Avatar

Default Bbc get inspired list of sports - error

The aforenetioned list of seventy sports is alphabetically correct apart from two sports. - it lists Rugby Union before Rugby League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/get-inspired/25416779

Being the close season and getting tetchy, I wrote to whoever:

Dear Sir,

I would like to inform who devised the excellent list of sports 'to be inspired by' mistakenly placed Rugby Union before Rugby League.

I can only assume, given the precise alphabetical placements of the other sports, that this was another deliberate attempt by some pseudo- toff to relegate the greatest game.

I do accept that Rugby Union was first in paying its players - the 1880 tour to Australia. An act which was followed by over a century of dualism and prejudice.

I am asking you to edit the list to perfect order.

Sincerely,

Gill O' Mild

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gill O'Mild View Post
    The aforenetioned list of seventy sports is alphabetically correct apart from two sports. - it lists Rugby Union before Rugby League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/get-inspired/25416779

Being the close season and getting tetchy, I wrote to whoever:

Dear Sir,

I would like to inform who devised the excellent list of sports 'to be inspired by' mistakenly placed Rugby Union before Rugby League.

I can only assume, given the precise alphabetical placements of the other sports, that this was another deliberate attempt by some pseudo- toff to relegate the greatest game.

I do accept that Rugby Union was first in paying its players - the 1880 tour to Australia. An act which was followed by over a century of dualism and prejudice.

I am asking you to edit the list to perfect order.

Sincerely,

Gill O' Mild

Stout Fellow. Well said sir. Alas and Alack this will fall on deaf ears. We are but serfs in the eyes of the upper classes.

Please give us a laugh and publish the self-serving, duplicitous non-apology response you receive (when they get round to gracing you with one)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKANS View Post
    Please give us a laugh and publish the self-serving, duplicitous non-apology response you receive (when they get round to gracing you with one)
    I'm with this one.

In The South Stand

I think the word "if" should be substituted for when .

To be fair, we should speak up for snowboarding too. Demoted by 2 places.

Got A Season Ticket Gill O'Mild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsy View Post
    To be fair, we should speak up for snowboarding too. Demoted by 2 places.
    Well spotted Bigsy - they slipped up there!

Quote Originally Posted by Gill O'Mild View Post
    Well spotted Bigsy - they slipped up there!
    Why thank you O'Mild one

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm with this one.
    A goof effort indeed. Also detest the BBC and others referring to Rugby when they really mean Rugby Union.

Quote Originally Posted by EwloeSaint View Post
    A goof effort indeed. Also detest the BBC and others referring to Rugby when they really mean Rugby Union.
    To be fair, I think the original game was known simply as Rugby Football with the only reference to "Union" being in the governing body's name, Rugby Football Union, founded in 1871. The International Rugby Board, formed in 1886, also made no explicit reference to Union even though the Northern Union had split by then. Like you, however, I would prefer the distinction to be made clear.

Got A Season Ticket saint mully's Avatar

Seems to be done by a lot of media outlets that I'm never surprised by it, sadly.
    [CENTER]
    100% League
    0% Union

ST HELENS - SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS... AND STILL THE MOST SUCCESSFUL CLUB OF THE SL ERA!

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    To be fair, I think the original game was known simply as Rugby Football with the only reference to "Union" being in the governing body's name, Rugby Football Union, founded in 1871. The International Rugby Board, formed in 1886, also made no explicit reference to Union even though the Northern Union had split by then. Like you, however, I would prefer the distinction to be made clear.
    Out of interest, does anyone know why we became "Rugby League" after originally being The Northern Union? When did we first get referred to as rugby league?

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Out of interest, does anyone know why we became "Rugby League" after originally being The Northern Union? When did we first get referred to as rugby league?
    Taken from Wikipedia - "The separate Lancashire and Yorkshire competitions of the Northern Rugby Football Union merged in 1901, forming the Northern Rugby Football League. The NRFU became the Northern Rugby Football League in the summer of 1922.". Presumably the game was known as rugby league thereafter.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Who gives a ****

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Quote Originally Posted by newport dave View Post
    Who gives a ****

Hopefully you do or I'd hate to be around when you finally explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Hopefully you do or I'd hate to be around when you finally explode.
    Why would I finally explode????

I'm just fed up of this constant whinging about how we're so hard done by in relation to the National press etc. People have got to realize we're a Northern sport who couldn't even make a success out of a team in the Capital for over 20 years.

Got A Season Ticket

Who gives a ****

You give enough of a **** to reply

Why would I finally explode????

I'm just fed up of this constant whinging about how we're so hard done by in relation to the National press etc. People have got to realize we're a Northern sport who couldn't even make a success out of a team in the Capital for over 20 years.

What and that means we should just all give up and go home??? DOnt want you on my team for anything dude. If it hadn't escaped your notice I think Catalans is hardly northern England. A major reasons it didnt take off in London was dunderheads in charge at the RL who don't understand how to promote.

Quote Originally Posted by niall View Post
    You give enough of a **** to reply
    Exactly!!!

We've been trying for the last 100 years and it's got us no where. One team in the RL heartland of Southern France doesn't stop us from still being a Northern sport.

We've been trying for the last 100 years and it's got us no where. One team in the RL heartland of Southern France doesn't stop us from still being a Northern sport.

The wrong people at the RL have been trying. Although it is a 100 years or so since the split, trying to establish the RL in the south in that time has not been ongoing constantly so we have NOT been trying for a 100 years, but rather for specific years throught a 100 year period.

Whether the people trying had the correct skills is also another matter but clearly media bias, other factors and negative cba attitude like yours have provided hurdles to setting up successful teams in the south. Plus you choose to ignore the amateur side of the game which does exist in the south too.

Plus you also ignore the efforts in other countries. Sure its not great here at the moment but that doesn't mean it always has to be that way. If you'd have been in charge back in the 1900's I'm surprised we would ever have got the northern union or RL in the first place, or Summer RL

Starting A Programme Collection Ell Saint Blues's Avatar

I was fuming yesterday, the Ashes in the Cricket in 2015 there is not one test match north of Nottingham, then I got a map up of cricket grounds and there are only three grounds further north anyway, Headingley, Old Trafford and Chester le Street (Durham).

Never realised how many few counties there are playing cricket.
    TRY rugby league at Blackbrook Royals : http://www.blackbrookrugby.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by EwloeSaint View Post
    The wrong people at the RL have been trying. Although it is a 100 years or so since the split, trying to establish the RL in the south in that time has not been ongoing constantly so we have NOT been trying for a 100 years, but rather for specific years throught a 100 year period.

Whether the people trying had the correct skills is also another matter but clearly media bias, other factors and negative cba attitude like yours have provided hurdles to setting up successful teams in the south. Plus you choose to ignore the amateur side of the game which does exist in the south too.

Plus you also ignore the efforts in other countries. Sure its not great here at the moment but that doesn't mean it always has to be that way. If you'd have been in charge back in the 1900's I'm surprised we would ever have got the northern union or RL in the first place, or Summer RL
    I was on about getting recognition from the National press for the last 100 years.

I was on about getting recognition from the National press for the last 100 years.

Ah my apologies, had misread it. Agree with you there. Hence on the other thread the reason to push it back on the BBC re their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Ell Saint Blues View Post
    I was fuming yesterday, the Ashes in the Cricket in 2015 there is not one test match north of Nottingham, then I got a map up of cricket grounds and there are only three grounds further north anyway, Headingley, Old Trafford and Chester le Street (Durham).

Never realised how many few counties there are playing cricket.
    You could but chuck in Lytham and Aigburth but even then they are second grounds for Lancs. Must admit surprised me too but obviously true. Is there a reverse argument that RU struggle with the north at the top flight level, look at teams that have fallen form grace - Orrell, Newcastle. leaving only Sale as a true north club?