Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Spoty

Default Spoty

Yet again the BBC have shown their complete disregard for the sport of rugby league, showing 10 seconds of our sport including 'that punch'. Sam got a mention but only because of his move to Mother's Union. Having said that, even football got short shrift, and the kick and clap brigade seem to have it stitched up. The old school tie connections seem to be alive and kicking.

Learning All The Songs

Agree it was worse than ever this year

The dressage horse got more time than rl !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Other than a bit extra coverage on the major events; the world cup, invictus games and winter Olympics, not many sports were exposed other than those in the running to win, including the dressage.

Our coverage was comparative to every other domestic competition.

The burgess and Wilkinson clip was however very random I thought

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Default Spoty

I'm sure people only watch it so they can moan about it. You know what you get with this dreary program and the excruciatingly chummy Question of Sport so if you watch it you get what you deserve

Got A Season Ticket Gill O'Mild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I'm sure people only watch it so they can moan about it. You know what you get with this dreary program and the excruciatingly chummy Question of Sport so if you watch it you get what you deserve
    Spoty on!

Lewis Hamilton Sports Personality - classic oxymoron.

Banned

Not sure why people continue to get annoyed by this. It's been the same for years and will never change.

In The South Stand

It has turned into a politically correct BBC box ticking exercise:

Diversity - tick
    Sexual Equality - tick
    Racial Equality - tick
    Disabled sport - tick

For an actual review of the sporting year it is and has for many years been fairly pointless.

And, Paul McGinley as coach of the year......bonkers!
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Correct.
    These programmes are not aimed at a true sports fan. They are programmes 'about sport' for the masses. The votes on Spoty are from at most armchair fans who just follow winners in the major sports. I never watch Spoty it's painfully boring. Just a few hours of mutual backslapping...not sure why it was ever called sports personality .....should be sports person...as very few winners have a personality...don't dislike Hamilton, but shouldnt his car have won the award, slightly more personality as well.

As for question of sport... The most awful of programmes that have long worn out its welcome. These two captains are actually impossible to watch they are so embarrassing.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

It's embarrassing that they have TV rights for one of our major domestic trophies and international RL.

They don't give RL the time of day!

Learning All The Songs

Well something has changed badly from the days when we won team of the year beating from memory a Ryder Cup team.

I know they don't have any SL footage but think there could have been a bit more than the Ben Flower punch. The 4 nations barely got a mention !

In saying that the coverage of a lot of sports seemed a bit bizarre. Rugby Union comments were mainly about the womens team. The basic problem is BBC don't have the footage / TV rights any more for most big sports so have to look at minority sports and have to create ridiculous montages to fill the schedule. Having a vote on the night will always be bias towards recent events hence Hamilton winning

Wasn't Brian Barwick meant to use his contacts to get us a bit more media profile ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post

Diversity - tick
    Sexual Equality - tick
    Racial Equality - tick
    Disabled sport - tick

For an actual review of the sporting year it is and has for many years been fairly pointless.

And because it was in Scotland, let's think of something to give Sir Chris Hoy again.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    And because it was in Scotland, let's think of something to give Sir Chris Hoy again.
    Yeah not like he's done anything in his career is it. Come on get real mate.
    The man's a legend in his own sport. Great role model for kids too.

Couldn't agree more. It was an attempt at irony. Obviously failed.

Starting A Programme Collection grahamk's Avatar

Or maybe Irn bru

CONVERTED TO THE FAITH.

sorry mate not read enough Oscar Wilde of late. General negativity of the thread
    brought the self righteous out of me.

My ignorance mate. Hands up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post

Diversity - tick
    Sexual Equality - tick
    Racial Equality - tick
    Disabled sport - tick

The only things on the BBC worth watching are Top Gear because it's very un BBC and match of the day because highlights of football are far more watchable than the full games.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    The only things on the BBC worth watching are Top Gear because it's very un BBC and match of the day because highlights of football are far more watchable than the full games.
    Un-BBC or not, I reckon if you did a poll on here you'd find that the majority would suggest that Top Gear, its presenters, the token crowd of turkeys who applaud every stupid nuance from that odious Clarkson, all ought to be chucked into Carr Mill Dam.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny nick View Post

sorry mate not read enough Oscar Wilde of late. General negativity of the thread
    brought the self righteous out of me.

My ignorance mate. Hands up.
    Not a problem pal. Like reading your missives.

Got A Season Ticket saint mully's Avatar

I stopped watching it a few years ago, it always felt rather sobering being reminded of how much of a minority sport RL is perceived by the country's establishment.
    But I think I'd settle for the coverage it got on SPOTY then than it gets now!
    [CENTER]
    100% League
    0% Union

ST HELENS - SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS... AND STILL THE MOST SUCCESSFUL CLUB OF THE SL ERA!

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider View Post
    Un-BBC or not, I reckon if you did a poll on here you'd find that the majority would suggest that Top Gear, its presenters, the token crowd of turkeys who applaud every stupid nuance from that odious Clarkson, all ought to be chucked into Carr Mill Dam.
    I doubt that, Top Gear is extremely popular hence he hasn't been fired by the PC lefties at the BBC already

Quote Originally Posted by Gill O'Mild View Post
    Spoty on!

Lewis Hamilton Sports Personality - classic oxymoron.

Agree on this, the guy has no charisma , no personality and is a tax exile living in Monaco.

What happened to the racing drivers of old, chasing page 3 girls, getting into scrapes in night clubs and advertising dodgy aftershave.

Seriously when did our sports stars become so bland and boring?

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Agree on this, the guy has no charisma , no personality and is a tax exile living in Monaco.

What happened to the racing drivers of old, chasing page 3 girls, getting into scrapes in night clubs and advertising dodgy aftershave.

Seriously when did our sports stars become so bland and boring?
    Being a tax exile ( I would be if I had the money) should have no bearing on anything

On the boring bit I think it's a society thing, in general society is becoming more risk averse , sterile and generally dull, personalities and people with opinions that don't tow the perceived 'company line' get slaughtered by the PC brigade and get labeled with an 'ist' . Sport just follows the rest of society. For example the James Hunts and George Bests of the world would have an army of feminists berating them in the press if they were sports personalities today

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider View Post
    Odious?? is that the definition of someone who speaks the truth and doesn't lick the ar*e crack of the PC brigade?
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass View Post
    Odious?? is that the definition of someone who speaks the truth and doesn't lick the ar*e crack of the PC brigade?
    It is yes, not being a boring automaton who just spouts out cliches makes him odious lol

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    It is yes, not being a boring automaton who just spouts out cliches makes him odious lol
    Agree - Clarkson is in the Russell Brand / Jonathon Ross class of loathsomeness.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............