Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: february

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I don't think we've 'become' anything.
    We are a nation that doesn't normally need to gear up for very bad weather. It costs too much to have all that sort of gear in place, keeping it maintained, then perhaps not needing it from one year to the next.
    The part of the USA you mention does need to be prepared, and is more used to living with it...and avoiding being sued for not keeping it safe!
    Without sounding old... When I was a kid we rarely shut schools due to snow. I can remember heavy snow at school and we just went and during breaks were allowed to play in it. I also remember playing football on rock hard pitches due to heavy frost. Rarely was a game postponed. Schools close at a hint of snow now, with excuses such as the paths are slippy and dangerous for the kids etc..IMO, ' we have become a nation of softies'. To ever postpone a pro game of sport due to it ' being unsafe' for fans is a joke. OK the odd time a game can't go ahead due to exceptional weather I understand due to pitch being unplayable, but never for the stands not being safe. If there is a will ( like my example in the states) grounds can be readied for fans.
    Just take the last day or two.. News reports constantly about the 'bad weather' .. Really, it's December and it's raining and windy. If you listen to our news you would think we are having a hurricane.
    As I said before I want the game against the Aussies to be windy, raining, or snowing..more fun.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Without sounding old... When I was a kid we rarely shut schools due to snow. I can remember heavy snow at school and we just went and during breaks were allowed to play in it. I also remember playing football on rock hard pitches due to heavy frost. Rarely was a game postponed. Schools close at a hint of snow now, with excuses such as the paths are slippy and dangerous for the kids etc..IMO, ' we have become a nation of softies'. To ever postpone a pro game of sport due to it ' being unsafe' for fans is a joke. OK the odd time a game can't go ahead due to exceptional weather I understand due to pitch being unplayable, but never for the stands not being safe. If there is a will ( like my example in the states) grounds can be readied for fans.
    Just take the last day or two.. News reports constantly about the 'bad weather' .. Really, it's December and it's raining and windy. If you listen to our news you would think we are having a hurricane.
    As I said before I want the game against the Aussies to be windy, raining, or snowing..more fun.

You are sounding old! But quite a good post all the same

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I don't love America... I just like NFL and a lot of things the Americans do, that we don't. Like most countries there are good things and bad.
    My point was this country is becoming very soft, not about 'loving' America. I speak as a fifty plus year old and I can tell you years ago no stadium would have closed parts of the ground like happened when we played Salford. They closed it, because they knew that if someone slipped they would make a claim, years ago everyone would have laughed at the fallen and the fallen would have blamed themselves for being bloody stupid.
    My point about Green Bay was that they just get on with the bad weather and carry on. we don't cause there is no British spirit anymore, just moaning softies.
    The country hasn't become soft. It's health and safety issues that are brought about by our glorious leaders. Why do these health and safety regulations come about though? It's because we live in a society where people will put in a claim for anything and everything. If they fall over after you've swept the path, then you will be sued. Where did this claim culture come from? The good old US of A!
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I don't love America... I just like NFL and a lot of things the Americans do, that we don't. Like most countries there are good things and bad. My point was this country is becoming very soft, not about 'loving' America. I speak as a fifty plus year old and I can tell you years ago no stadium would have closed parts of the ground like happened when we played Salford. They closed it, because they knew that if someone slipped they would make a claim, years ago everyone would have laughed at the fallen and the fallen would have blamed themselves for being bloody stupid. My point about Green Bay was that they just get on with the bad weather and carry on. we don't cause there is no British spirit anymore, just moaning softies.
    the average american can easily sit through 4 hours of live sports whilst dealing with the freezing cold. all of their stomachs are warm from eating 12 hotdogs, 6 pretzels and 5 ding dongs a piece
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    the average american can easily sit through 4 hours of live sports whilst dealing with the freezing cold. all of their stomachs are warm from eating 12 hotdogs, 6 pretzels and 5 ding dongs a piece
    I do agree they know how to eat. The portions given are huge. But that said there appears to be as many 'XXXLers' in this country as in the US.

As for Health and Saftey, it is not the H&S that is the issue it is that it's totally misinterpreted by the likes of councils, teachers etc. I am not a lover of all things state side, but those who slag them off forget without them we might be speaking German, most of you would have to find an alternative to A Big Mac, KFC and Whimpy..plus you would be wiping your bum on leaves, (toilet paper)and never buy anything from the Internet (Mail Order), to name a few things we need to tip our hat to.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon1964 View Post
    Really have we, another obvious American lover,our great country is being ruined because people are so desperate to copy 'What the Americans do' we as a country have given so much to the world the Americans have given us fast food which is beyond crap.
    Indeed

Why have the American "Can do attitude" when we can have the British "Someone else will do (and pay" philosophy

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    The country hasn't become soft. It's health and safety issues that are brought about by our glorious leaders. Why do these health and safety regulations come about though? It's because we live in a society where people will put in a claim for anything and everything. If they fall over after you've swept the path, then you will be sued. Where did this claim culture come from? The good old US of A!
    Nope

There are no health and safety laws prohibiting sports in inclimental weather. Lazy people (usually in the public sector) misrepresent / misunderstand or can not be bothered doing what is required and then blanket ban it under the banner of H+S. Have a look on the HSE's website at the myth buster section....its full of it. Idiots stealing a living by randomly and unjustifiably banning things where a true HSE practicioner looks for ways to do things but safely.

Private business (and some pretty hazardous ones at that) stay fully functional during the snow because it isnt so easy to cry off. They operate to the same H+S law (which incidentally is push hard on by the insurance sector more so than anyone else)

Banned

I don't really want to debate the subject but as a person who works in elf and safety think about the coal miners who died through employer neglect in health and then we could go onto asbestosis and people like Cyril Smith who knew people where dying but thought employment in his town more important. Life is not cheap now I hope

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    Nope

There are no health and safety laws prohibiting sports in inclimental weather. Lazy people (usually in the public sector) misrepresent / misunderstand or can not be bothered doing what is required and then blanket ban it under the banner of H+S. Have a look on the HSE's website at the myth buster section....its full of it. Idiots stealing a living by randomly and unjustifiably banning things where a true HSE practicioner looks for ways to do things but safely.

Private business (and some pretty hazardous ones at that) stay fully functional during the snow because it isnt so easy to cry off. They operate to the same H+S law (which incidentally is push hard on by the insurance sector more so than anyone else)
    I remember a latics game being cancelled, I think against Aston Villa not because of the stadium but because of the surrounding area wasn't deemed safe. I always thought it as odd.

Learning All The Songs

A friend of mine had to pay her postman because he caught his had on a rose bush whilst walking up her path to deliver her letters and it apparently got infected. H & S gone mad

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    A friend of mine had to pay her postman because he caught his had on a rose bush whilst walking up her path to deliver her letters and it apparently got infected. H & S gone mad
    i was a postmon in my early twenties. rose bushes are nothing compared to getting chased out of groves by rabid staffordshire bull terriers up westleigh and plonk loan

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    i was a postmon in my early twenties. rose bushes are nothing compared to getting chased out of groves by rabid staffordshire bull terriers up westleigh and plonk loan
    Literally lol!!!!
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Literally lol!!!!

its true pal! someones rottweiler in their front yard once saw me coming and was going mental. the gate was locked so i thought i was safe. i didn't notice that their was no solid fence leading onto the yard of the house next door. it burrowed through the privetts into the next door neighbours front yard and that property didn't have any sort of a gate. i thought i was a goner haha

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Cannot believe you are dissing the impact of the weather bomb

Noooobie

Nope

There are plenty of examples from the private sector where inclement weather causes disruption to service, railways and airports to name a few. I am sure it's in everyone's best interest to get this game played and would hope that suitable contingency plans are put in place. It's a big call for the club to postpone a game of this magnitude however they are ultimately responsible for the safety of the players and hopefully 18,000 spectators.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

On a separate note I have bought a couple of extra tickets for some pals who are Liverpool fans for the WCC.....they might be converts if we have a full house??
    Learned comment from The Don

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Langkawi View Post
    There are plenty of examples from the private sector where inclement weather causes disruption to service, railways and airports to name a few. I am sure it's in everyone's best interest to get this game played and would hope that suitable contingency plans are put in place. It's a big call for the club to postpone a game of this magnitude however they are ultimately responsible for the safety of the players and hopefully 18,000 spectators.
    so the solution is to make it safe rather than just declare everything unsafe....it aint rocket science.

Learning All The Songs

Just play on in any conditions like this from the NFL earlier this year

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...les-highlights

Learning All The Songs

so the solution is to make it safe rather than just declare everything unsafe....it aint rocket science.
    No, but it is economics. Simple management decision, when making it safe is way more than what you'd make on the event then you must as a manager consider cancelling.

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    Just play on in any conditions like this from the NFL earlier this year

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...les-highlights
    Excellent. I believe that no NFL game has ever been cancelled due to bad weather in its history.

Excellent. I believe that no NFL game has ever been cancelled due to bad weather in its history.
    19 days ago (Nov 23 2014) Buffalo v NY Jets cancelled due to severe snowstorm (played on 24th at Detroit)........... having said that it was a really severe snowstorm that would have closed this country down for a while had it happened here!

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    No, but it is economics. Simple management decision, when making it safe is way more than what you'd make on the event then you must as a manager consider cancelling.
    And thats fine, just dont blame elf n safety goooorrn maaaad for it (which is where this conversation started).

Quote Originally Posted by volls_dad View Post
    19 days ago (Nov 23 2014) Buffalo v NY Jets cancelled due to severe snowstorm (played on 24th at Detroit)........... having said that it was a really severe snowstorm that would have closed this country down for a while had it happened here!
    Sorry, I missed that. I really am getting old. Well apart from that game...( what did the Romans ever do for us comes to mind)..

PS.. That I did not know that game was moved a day later bugs me. I watch NFL and somehow that escaped me totally..

Noooobie

Exactly!

Starting A Programme Collection

I don't love America... I just like NFL and a lot of things the Americans do, that we don't. Like most countries there are good things and bad.
    My point was this country is becoming very soft, not about 'loving' America. I speak as a fifty plus year old and I can tell you years ago no stadium would have closed parts of the ground like happened when we played Salford. They closed it, because they knew that if someone slipped they would make a claim, years ago everyone would have laughed at the fallen and the fallen would have blamed themselves for being bloody stupid.
    My point about Green Bay was that they just get on with the bad weather and carry on. we don't cause there is no British spirit anymore, just moaning softies.
    I have just returned from a trip to Green Bay in the states to watch Green Bay Packers play. The area they are in has harsh winters. The stadium is totally uncovered, not even cladding. They do not have seats, just 'bleeches' or benches made of metal. The day before the game it snowed, about two inches. They asked for volunteers,(although they pay $10 and hour) to help clear the stands. 400 people turned up and spent several hours clearing the whole stadium of snow. The pitch have just tarpaulin covers.
    On game day it was minus 5 degrees and icy the game went ahead, no parts of the ground were closed. The attendence? 78,000 in a town that has a population of 110,000. Now that's what I call support. The thing to note is the club is owned by the fans. The only NFL club to be so. The fans also refuse to have seats and would never consider a roof.
    It begs the question, why do we shut parts of a ground when we get a hint of snow. The answer! We have become a nation of softies...
    Ironic posts coming from someone who wont be attending the World club challenge because its too costly.