Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KC's first head ache

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon1964 View Post
    Because of the Flower incident, thuggery, despicable act, call it what you like, we haven't had the acclaim we deserve for wining the Super League Title with no engine room,i honestly think when people look back in time,people will say that 2014 team was some team to win the league,then go on to the Super League title with no halves was some achievement.Maybe a bar called no halves will be created.
    And we still aren't getting the acclaim.....

Koukash just tweetd this:

"I don't find Saints the best SL team, but they are the Champs and I respect that.

But why Widnes was selected as Team of the year ?"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon1964 View Post
    Because of the Flower incident, thuggery, despicable act, call it what you like, we haven't had the acclaim we deserve for wining the Super League Title with no engine room
    We had an engine room. Just no steering wheel.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Carlvegas7 View Post
    And we still aren't getting the acclaim.....

Koukash just tweetd this:

"I don't find Saints the best SL team, but they are the Champs and I respect that.

But why Widnes was selected as Team of the year ?"
    I wonder how he measures who the best is then? ....Then again... when I think about it he does have a point as I'm actually the fastest man on Earth - I don't find Usain Bolt is but he's won two Olympic golds and I respect that. - Yeah, makes a lot more sense now!!!!!??

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Harry XXIII View Post
    I wonder how he measures who the best is then? ....Then again... when I think about it he does have a point as I'm actually the fastest man on Earth - I don't find Usain Bolt is but he's won two Olympic golds and I respect that. - Yeah, makes a lot more sense now!!!!!??
    Haha exactly!

Got A Season Ticket the actual don johnson's Avatar

Does anyone think we'll start rotating the squad a bit more now with the players we have?

Might help keep the injuries down and key players in form...

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by the actual don johnson View Post
    Does anyone think we'll start rotating the squad a bit more now with the players we have?

I would certainly look at rotating the forwards as we have a lot of competition for places. Maybe also look at bringing Hewitt in for a few games alongside burns or Walsh as well for experience.

Just to be clear tho I wouldn't rotate a winning team if all are 100% I'm a firm believer of 'if if ain't broke, don't fix it'. Plus continuity and player partnerships/ familiarisation are important (espec in defence).

however anyone carrying a minor niggle I would rotate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the actual don johnson View Post

I think that's crucial, but successive coaches have avoided this too much

What about Savellio and Greenwood, are they still on contract or have they left??

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Smart View Post
    What about Savellio and Greenwood, are they still on contract or have they left??
    Greenwood signed a new 3 year contract a while ago (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/28419002)

Savelio is still 19 and will still qualify for the u19s next season I believe, and has another year remaining on his youth team contract. EDIT: (link found) - http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/3403

Learning All The Songs

I see most people are playing Percival as a left centre next year. I'd rather see him continue as our right centre alongside Makinson, as in my opinion he plays better there. Plus it splits up him and Swift who are not the best defenders together.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Greenwood signed a new 3 year contract a while ago (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/28419002)

Savelio is still 19 and will still qualify for the u19s next season I believe, and has another year remaining on his youth team contract. EDIT: (link found) - http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/3403
    Ok thanks for the info

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    I see most people are playing Percival as a left centre next year. I'd rather see him continue as our right centre alongside Makinson, as in my opinion he plays better there. Plus it splits up him and Swift who are not the best defenders together.
    Agreed, but that leaves the question of what to do with turner - he's gone well at lock (albeit playing a halfbacks role), but keeping him there leaves Wilkin in the cold. I'd have him in my team, but it's a dilemma where ... (Well, I'd leave Wilkin out, but that's a thread in itself ...)

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I think the backs are well covered.

Lomax Wellens
    Makinson Gardner
    Swift Dawson
    Turner Jones
    Percival (ok you got me there)
    Walsh Hewitt
    Burns Lance

Plus lots of flexibility with all those players able to move about and cover different options.

I remember people picking there 17 at the start of last year and really it's not a starting 17, it's a finishing 17. You need 25 players to get you through the season and all will have a role to play. Anyone can pick their best 17, the biggest head ache is keeping everyone happy, pushing the young ones on, but not burning them out. Keeping your big guns fresh. Making sure you are in a position to get to the top.

It's a massive job to handle all those people, keep them happy and working towards a team goal.

Hence why so many get sacked.

I think one more forward and we are as solid as we can hope to be.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Agreed, but that leaves the question of what to do with turner - he's gone well at lock (albeit playing a halfbacks role), but keeping him there leaves Wilkin in the cold. I'd have him in my team, but it's a dilemma where ... (Well, I'd leave Wilkin out, but that's a thread in itself ...)
    Yeah Turner's the problem with that. I'd rather not play him as a loose personally as we have better players for the role regardless of how Turner has performed throughout the play offs. No idea if he's ever played as a left centre before but surely we could try him there for a spell

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Lomax
    Makinson
    Turner
    Percival
    Swift
    Burns
    Walsh
    Amor
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Vea
    LMS
    Wilkin

Thompson
    Masoe
    Flanagan/Jones/Hohaia/Richards to make up the other 2 bench spots between them depending on who's the opposition. For example Wigan/Wire/Leeds I'd go with Flanagan and Richards. Salford/Wakefield/Hull etc I'd go for Hohaia on the bench so Roby can be spelled and isn't burnt out when we have to play the big teams as when he's in top condition 80 minutes should be no problem for him.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

Who would people pick as captain?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by saint4evs View Post
    This is the next problem I think wellens is a very good captain, but I believe your captain should be in your starting 13, I don't think it worked last year when he was captain but started on the bench! For me you would have to go with roby or wilkin!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by g19agy View Post
    This is the next problem I think wellens is a very good captain, but I believe your captain should be in your starting 13, I don't think it worked last year when he was captain but started on the bench! For me you would have to go with roby or wilkin!
    I was thinking maybe burns. I agree you need someone who lays from start and preferably 80 min.

Starting A Programme Collection

Lomax
    Makinson
    Turner
    Percival
    Swift
    Burns
    Walsh
    Amor
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Lms
    Thompson
    Wilkin

Masoe
    Vea
    Flannagan
    Hohaia
    Captain lms or wilkin for me

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    That's a good point. I mentioned the other day that he had looked more dangerous on the right. I'd be shocked if Turner stayed at 13 though so surely he'll go back to right centre?

Lomax, Burns, Walsh AND Turner all trying to be ball players would be too much in my opinion.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 21st October 2014 at 09:37.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    That's a good point. I mentioned the other day that he had looked more dangerous on the right. I'd be shocked if Turner stayed at 13 though SL surely he'll go back to right centre?

Lomax, Burns, Walsh AND Turner all trying to be ball players would be too much in my opinion.
    Plus wilkin trying to run the show on top of that as well! Too many cooks, need to let Walsh n burns do their thing!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlvegas7 View Post
    Plus wilkin trying to run the show on top of that as well! Too many cooks, need to let Walsh n burns do their thing!

I agree. I'd much rather see Wilkin at left 2nd row and Thompson at 13.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

I agree. I'd much rather see Wilkin at left 2nd row and Thompson at 13.
    Definitely he plays much better when he's concentrating on just running out wide and defending.

He will still try and take over but I think burns and Walsh have the right characters to put him straight if he starts getting in the way.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by saint4evs View Post

Roby for me.

Squad looks strong but I would still like to see one more experienced prop added, that is the most attritional position on the pitch and personally I'd always have two props on the bench.

In The South Stand

That's a good point. I mentioned the other day that he had looked more dangerous on the right. I'd be shocked if Turner stayed at 13 though SL surely he'll go back to right centre?
    Percy has looked good at right centre, but Turner also had an excellent relationship with Makinson - laying on tries with some brilliant centre play before he was shifted centrally.

I'd have Turner/Makinson, Percival/Swift without hesitation.