Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Brown.....Thanks for the memories

Starting A Programme Collection jefmeister2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I think brown was the first coach we've had that is a "bigger picture" coach
    Totally agree with that, thats why he was so composed after embarassing but meaningless defeats. Sterling job - leave managing the club to those entrusted, leave claptrap for the forums.

In The South Stand

Last season I used to say to people who were calling him " he is taking one team apart to make a new one, this season I have been going to games saying " I don't know how we are going to win when we have no Half backs," and then " I don't know how we won that" and then when we were at the end, "another 3 wins and we are champions" , thank you and well done NATHAN BROWN.

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

I wanted him gone last season when we went through that run of 7 or 8 losses in a row (feels like a distant memory) and I stand by that viewpoint, even though the bigger picture has proven me gleefully wrong. McManus deserves the credit there, because it didn't look like we were going to turn it around but we did and the rest is history. I didn't want him in the first place because he had no track record of being a winner - and now he does.

There are still small questions about this team to be answered, but its a long season and we answered the big questions at the big times and that's all that matters. Tactically we were spot on in the playoffs and that's where it matters. I still pinch myself, I still shake my head and smile. We found a way to get the job done despite all that went against us.

So Brown goes on a high - and with my best wishes.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

I'm not going to be two faced, he lost me at Easter and I am pretty sure I said so at the time.

The lack of fire in the Good Friday game, putting a very weak side out on Easter Monday gifting Widnes 2 points and leaving Lance out at Leeds in the cup so we had no attacking threat which saw us exit the comp against a beatable Leeds.

In addition to that the absolutely dire performances at Magic, Hull KR and Catalans were among the worst I have ever seen.

His attitude following some of those defeats was a tad laid back for me with his hands in pockets skulking routine.

However, that said the end to the season was quite remarkable and he must take credit for it. We have won the competition without any halves with spirit, graft and belief that was amazing to watch so much so that I was quietly confident going into the final. From comments made by Brown himself he seemed to suggest that much of this was down to Wilkin and Wellens behind the scenes.

Its in the record books and nobody can take it away. The most unlikely victory ever.

Good look to him for the future.

Bring on the new era.
    Last edited by Div; 16th October 2014 at 22:57.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

yes we've become champions under brown but im still on the fence. i still feel we can be a hell of a lot better with the squad that we have and im hopeful that the new coach will get even more out of us
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Nathan Brown has done an excellent job, and the number of posts to this thread is sad. We have shown some poor form at times but a lot of that has to go down to the players, too many of whom let the coach and fans down at times and it has taken some improved self belief to get there. Brown clearly can't be blameless for some indifferent performances (one or two shockers in there) but there are plenty on here who have said it's only about the last month of the season, yet when we have excelled at this time can't bring themselves to admit the Coach may have played a part in us winning the 2 tophies which take most effort. The last 3 games of the season have been 3 of our strongest performances.

There are some ridiculous notions that if don't jump up and down you are not a good coach. We would not have brought players like Luke Walsh to the club without Brown and the presence of Walsh will also have helped bring Burns in next year. If Brown had listened to the fans he would have been sat at home in Aus long before the final having played two young untested academy products in the halves, having also sent Jordan Turner to Whitehaven!

So congratulations to Brown, he stuck to his beliefs and showed some tough mental strength as a coach. He got us over the line and leaves us in much better shape than when he came. How long is it since we last won a trophy? The bar is positioned much higher for our new coach and hopefully we can move it on a notch.
    Last edited by Windle Lad; 17th October 2014 at 10:31.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

I remember posting on here after the opening day last season when Hudders had demolished us that the players didn't look interested playing for him, and it went on for half a season.

This year was better, but I think like many I had it pegged to the addition of Luke Walsh, a proper half.

He leaves us as League leaders and Champions, and for that, I thank him and wish him well.

Now I'm looking for some topping for my humble pie.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Learning All The Songs

He gave us one of the best ever days as a Saints fan. Full Stop

Thanks Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    He gave us one of the best ever days as a Saints fan. Full Stop

Thanks Nathan
    ...he did but also some of the most dire drubbings.

Learning All The Songs

Always niggly doubts, lowest point for me was v HKR at home, 2nd Highest point was v Cats as I saved a fortune not going(hehe), with highest point in his tenure being his last at the biggest stage(Ironically, when he came he didn't get the close rivallary, he ended the game saying he finally got it and it showed him how it meant so much!). Did always say keep the faith, even when watching that KR game inside it was eating at me, and now my 'Mr Browns Boys' banner has seen its current run end, with a win - new flag next year. All the best NB and to your family too....

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post
    The bar is positioned much higher for our new coach and hopefully we can move it on a notch.
    So the new coach will not be an alcoholic dwarf then.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Learning All The Songs

Has he gone home already or is he still here saying his final goodbyes n nipping off to buttons to get another black leather jacket.

Learning All The Songs

When Brown first arrived he said his priority was to improve the defence. At first, last season, it was abysmal and looked worse than ever. However this season when Brown has had more of a stamp on his team the attack improved significantly so the defencive frailties weren't as important . Saints have had a few beatings this season but when it mattered most during the play offs and final the defence was superb despite significant limitations in attack . Brown has also brought a few younger players through and ive just read the Mark Percival interview in the St Helens star where he praises Brown's influence on his and other younger players development.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

all these players complimenting nathan brown. are they coming out of the woodwork now or were they quoted saying these things a few months back???
    im not saying that brown has not done what he's being credited for. but its just typical how all the nice things are said AFTER a coach has gone.

its like when your boss sacks you for being incompetent but still writes you a pleasant reference
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    all these players complimenting nathan brown. are they coming out of the woodwork now or were they quoted saying these things a few months back???
    im not saying that brown has not done what he's being credited for. but its just typical how all the nice things are said AFTER a coach has gone.
    So far the players have said nice things about all the departing coaches since I've been following Saints. Only two have come out with negatives that I remember: Ade Gardner was critical of Potter for dropping him and Josh Perry was critical of Simmons for dropping him. Other than that I've only ever seen good comments by players about departing coaches!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    its like when your boss sacks you for being incompetent but still writes you a pleasant reference
    Because if he gives you a bad one and criticise you he is open to prosecution

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    So did Ian Millward... He's been criticised for these drubbings, but every bad performance we've put in was matched with a good performance. He apparently can't motivate teams for the big games, yet this year had the best record against top teams. He had big decisions to make and made them, he turned a team that had no right to win another game that season into Champions, one of the greatest feats in the sports modern times.

I'm glad he gives credit to players like Wellens and Wilkin, despite the former admitting he thought we had no chance after the Hull defeat. This is in stark contrast to Shaun Wane's "me me me" attitude.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    So far the players have said nice things about all the departing coaches since I've been following Saints. Only two have come out with negatives that I remember: Ade Gardner was critical of Potter for dropping him and Josh Perry was critical of Simmons for dropping him. Other than that I've only ever seen good comments by players about departing coaches!
    Perry must have been RESTED not dropped.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    So when the final whistle blew last Saturday, were you really thinking about the drubbings at Catalan etc.

If somebody had said at the start of the season that we would finish top and win the grand final, but would have a few drubbings in the regular season you wouldn't have taken it ???

Got A Season Ticket

I give brown credit for the last 3 games of the season and wish him and his family all the best for the future , I dont know who has been in charge most of this season but we have been disappointing for a lot of it , I did not like the timing of his resignation it seems the way someone with a grudge would behave, when a chairman has to address a team to tell them to get their finger out it says a lot about the coach, I am glad he has gone I never wanted him in the first place but I wish him well

Learning All The Songs

In my mind the squad for next season is our strongest for a few years. I fancy us to be stronger next season and a lot of this is down to the reshaping of the squad by Brown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    In my mind the squad for next season is our strongest for a few years. I fancy us to be stronger next season and a lot of this is down to the reshaping of the squad by Brown
    My major problem with Brown was that he had no cover for Walsh,I can only assume he was going to use Wilkin if not him maybe Lomax,a decent reserve 7 would have made a massive difference,but it all came good in the end CHAMPIONS never get fed up of saying that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Some Saints supporters are terribly ungrateful. Don't deserve anything.

We have been frustrating at times under Brown, but to get a sense of the overall job he did you just need to compare our position now to what it was two years ago. When he took over we had an ageing squad and plenty of deadwood. Now he is leaving us with an exciting, young and balanced squad, and we are Super League champions. You can't ask for a lot more than that.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Some Saints supporters are terribly ungrateful. Don't deserve anything.

Shocking isn't it, we have won 2 out 3 of the trophies this year.
    The whole squad is far better than any for a good few years with a good mix of youth and experience. There is a real desire in the team to move onwards.
    We have our own stadium and one of the best, if not the best chairman in the sport yet some people are still unhappy.
    Brown hasn't been the easiest coach to back but he is leaving us in a far better position than he found us. He is leaving for his wife and children's happiness. You could see it in his eyes and hear it in his voice during the interview immediately after the GF.
    Thank you and best of luck browny