Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: If we win on saturday.....

In The South Stand

Default If we win on saturday.....

Written off as "no hopers", all the talk of how many wigan will win by, the most one sided final ever, ive even heard wiganers say the grand final was against wire and that saturday is merely a run out to pick up their trophy, plus wanes hints at how they will physically batter us, and his assertion that he hates us would have the world thinking we dont have a chance. It will surely be one of saints greatest results and one of rugby leagues greatest upsets.

But we've been here before, many times and ripped up the form guide. 25k+ saints fans have belief and will be there backing us. So it got me thinking, what classics from the past do we remember where we were written off as no hopers?

Got A Season Ticket chesterxiii's Avatar

Both WCC games against Brisbane for a start.
    Am I a glass half full type of person? Yes ! But every now and then, some bugger knocks my drink over!

"If you are an alien, then how comes you sound like you're from the North?"
    "Lots of planets have a North !"

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by chesterxiii View Post
    Both WCC games against Brisbane for a start.
    The wcc ' s were great results.

I'll say 22-32 at central park....

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    The wcc ' s were great results.

I'll say 22-32 at central park....
    1976 Challenge Cup Final - the "Dad's Army" team

Saints' First Grand Final win- battered by the Bulls 2 weeks previously and given absolutely no chance by anyone in the final

1999 was pretty similar. We'd been thrashed at Bradford a couple of weeks before the final and we were getting plenty of stick from pundits and even opposition players (I remember Henry Paul describing us as 'comical'). But on the day we clung on and won it.

Having said that, in '99 we had Sculthorpe, Martyn, Long, Iro, Newlove, Cunningham, Joynt and Sullivan in the side, so we were a bit better equipped to produce an upset than we are this time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

im loving all this talk of us getting battered. it sets it up nicely.
    everyones wrote us off. theirs no pressure on us and we always play best when we are underdogs. when you consider all those factors, it isn't a question of how can we win?? more how the hell can we lose??!!??
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

1989 Challenge Cup Semi-Final V Widnes.

Learning All The Songs

This March V Leeds at home with several players out including Walsh !

Sheffield Eagles at Wembley.
    www.steveprescottfoundation.co.uk

"What the mind believes, the body achieves"

In The South Stand

Tere is too much talk of IF we win.

In The South Stand

I just don't want to sound as arrogant as some of the pies exiled old un.

'88 jps final v leeds, despite being huge underdogs we turned up and played the perfect game of rugby.

Holding was world class
    Loughlin was brilliant.
    Elia had schofield in his pocket.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Powell in disguise View Post
    We wasn't expected to beat them again in 1991 either.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Powell in disguise View Post
    1976 Challenge Cup Final - The Dad's Army Final against Widnes - Saints won 20:5 in blistering weather

Got A Replica Shirt

Been mulling it over all week and really can't understand why we are such big underdogs in the first place. When all's said and done we finished top of the pile because we were more consistent over the season - yes we lost games that we expected to win but so did they. Appreciate we have some key individuals missing but it's not as if we are playing an all star Wigan side either. Over the past 2 games we've scored plenty, conceded few and if we execute our game plan on the day we will be very very difficult to beat. Can't wait COYS !!!!!!!!!

Can think of loads.

1970 & 1971 Championship Finals
    1972 Challenge Cup Final when Tony Karalius and Eric Prescott were injured and John Mantle played with 12 stitches in his head after a car crash.

1977 Boxing Day. We had loads missing and whipped the vagabonds.

etc.etc
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

If we win, on mass "Josh Perry runs" through St.Helens followed by lots of big headed "Dynasty" threads. Who's with me!!!!
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    If we win, on mass "Josh Perry runs" through St.Helens followed by lots of big headed "Dynasty" threads. Who's with me!!!!
    I am but if it ends up just being us two then I'm going to give it a miss!

Every pundit, every newspaper, every bookie plus the entire population of Wigan expect Wigan to win. Even some Saints fans expect Wigan to win. This will be deep in the psyche of the Wigan team/management and will make them open to being over confident, arrogant even. This is dangerous because if we hit them hard, early in the game, that confidence/arrogance will drain if they don't score early.

I think we are as fit as them and I don't question our motivation so it will be hard and I think we'll win.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Every pundit, every newspaper, every bookie plus the entire population of Wigan expect Wigan to win. Even some Saints fans expect Wigan to win. This will be deep in the psyche of the Wigan team/management and will make them open to being over confident, arrogant even. This is dangerous because if we hit them hard, early in the game, that confidence/arrogance will drain if they don't score early. I think we are as fit as them and I don't question our motivation so it will be hard and I think we'll win.
    good post mate
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Every pundit, every newspaper, every bookie plus the entire population of Wigan expect Wigan to win. Even some Saints fans expect Wigan to win. This will be deep in the psyche of the Wigan team/management and will make them open to being over confident, arrogant even. This is dangerous because if we hit them hard, early in the game, that confidence/arrogance will drain if they don't score early.

I think we are as fit as them and I don't question our motivation so it will be hard and I think we'll win.
    I was at the Widnes/Wigan game a few weeks ago. Widnes pushed Wigan off the ball in the first minute, scored shortly after that and tackled hard and Wigan looked like they didn't know what to do. Widnes controlled the game from start to finish. Wigan are like the playground bully. If Saints get really stuck in from the start and keep disciplined in defence there is every chance that Wigan will get found out. They are not a great team. They do not have outstanding players.They play with passion and aggression and pressure teams into submission. Saints are just as capable of doing the same. I think the game will be tight and tough, just as a final should be and Saints can definitely do it. BELIEVE!!!!

Banned

Totally agree. The lack of respect everyone has shown saints this week has seriously boiled my ••••. Anyone would think Wigan are playing London and not the team that finished first and beat them in June.

We need to knock the shit out of them in the first 20 mins, then we will see how good they are.