Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reasons why we can win the Grand Final

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Default Reasons why we can win the Grand Final

There's alot of negativity around the forums and a lack of belief among many, which is understandable given our injuries to key players but I thought I'd start a positive thread as to why we can win on Saturday. Feel free to add more:

1). We've already beaten Wigan this season on their own turf - the template of how to play them was shown that day, aggressive defence and determined go forward.

2). We beat the without Lomax and Walsh that day too

3). There is no pressure on us to win this game - everyone EXPECTS Wigan to win which will help motivate the side to prove everyone wrong.

4). The pack is our strength. If our packs turns up aggressive in attack and defence we've got a real chance because they can beat anyone on their day.

5). In a one off game, anything can happen, it's all about performing on the day. We've proven this season we are capable of it.

Anymore to add?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

If it rains it will suit us for once.

Kick and defend like we have in the 2 play off games so far we will be in with every chance.

Hoping for driving rain and forward battle.

Starting A Programme Collection WindsorSaint's Avatar

We've been in the same situation as Wigan going into GF's against Leeds, but they found a way to beat us. There is a always a chance and we need to believe in our team!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

kick well, turn wigan, defend well, no errors or penalties, forwards turn up, we win. its that simple.

we do have danger all over the park but we need the forwards to get us ground. if the forwards turn up and we can arm wrestle some field position we have players who can grind out a try from nothing. even if its a low scorer and we win 11-10 i will be chuffed
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Sick of reading the rugby forums about the GF already. The negativity is making me debate staying away for the week.

Are we favourites ? No, we aren't. Are we up against it ? Yes, we are. However, Sheffield Eagles in 1998 or Catalans in 2008 we are not. People are talking like this club doesn't know how to win. St Helens are the second most successful club in the history of the sport. They know what they're doing. In our two Play Off games, we've scored 71 and conceded 12 and 6 of those shouldn't have been given. We're defending magnificently and playing incredibly efficiently. We aren't going to roll up at Old Trafford and lie down. It's going to be a war I think and Wigan will have to be superb to beat us. I've just read one mug suggest that Saints are heading for a 35/40 point loss next week. I've never read anything like it and it's disappointing to read supporters of this club suggest such nonsense. Any follower of Saints should know full well how dangerous Saints are when written off totally. A very dangerous game being played by Wiganers at present.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Sick of reading the rugby forums about the GF already. The negativity is making me debate staying away for the week.

Are we favourites ? No, we aren't. Are we up against it ? Yes, we are. However, Sheffield Eagles in 1998 or Catalans in 2008 we are not. People are talking like this club doesn't know how to win. St Helens are the second most successful club in the history of the sport. They know what they're doing. In our two Play Off games, we've scored 71 and conceded 12 and 6 of those shouldn't have been given. We're defending magnificently and playing incredibly efficiently. We aren't going to roll up at Old Trafford and lie down. It's going to be a war I think and Wigan will have to be superb to beat us. I've just read one mug suggest that Saints are heading for a 35/40 point loss next week. I've never read anything like it and it's disappointing to read supporters of this club suggest such nonsense. Any follower of Saints should know full well how dangerous Saints are when written off totally. A very dangerous game being played by Wiganers at present.
    100% correct

Got A Season Ticket

Wigan by 60.

Wane will be fist pumping and mooning the saints supporters after 20 mins.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by snake eater View Post
    Wigan by 60.

You're joking, right?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Sod off snake eater, all negativity (and Leeds fans) is banned from this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

Wigan by 60.

Troll

Wigan by 60.

You just keep eating snakes and leave rugby talk to those that know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

I believe we often beat ourselves.
    As you say, cut out the needless errors and penalties, concentrate on doing the basics set after set.
    No need to attempt champagne rugby on a lemonade budget.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

I think we will win by 40 points. One of the best Saints sides we have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    There's alot of negativity around the forums and a lack of belief among many, which is understandable given our injuries to key players but I thought I'd start a positive thread as to why we can win on Saturday. Feel free to add more:

1). We've already beaten Wigan this season on their own turf - the template of how to play them was shown that day, aggressive defence and determined go forward.

2). We beat the without Lomax and Walsh that day too

3). There is no pressure on us to win this game - everyone EXPECTS Wigan to win which will help motivate the side to prove everyone wrong.

4). The pack is our strength. If our packs turns up aggressive in attack and defence we've got a real chance because they can beat anyone on their day.

5). In a one off game, anything can happen, it's all about performing on the day. We've proven this season we are capable of it.

Anymore to add?
    Agree with all of that, especially 5.

Learning All The Songs

There are very few in the squad who have lost at OT, so, all being well there should be no negativity.

We also need a strong ref prepared to penalise Wigan for lying on and high shots, and ideally one who understands the concept of a forward pass and of offside.

Starting A Programme Collection WindsorSaint's Avatar

You're absolutely right, there is a always a chance. It will be very tough, a similar game to last nights. We have the pack to match them and ever better them in that area if we play smart and tough. Then it's anyone's game. Ref will be an interesting one again, he was letting pies get away with flops and slow markers off last night, we have to assume the same come GF night, so lets beat em at their own game and get 3 in every tackle and slow off as if the ref starts blowing he'll have to do the same for them too, which will totally mess up their game plan.

COYS, lets get that 5th GF win and start catching Leeds up!!

Got A Season Ticket

Lightbulb

Wigan by 60.

You scan troll all you like , but the fact is you lot won't even get the chance to get beaten. WE GOT TO THE FINAL . Oh yes and the W.C.C. So go away and weep.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

I do hope you don't mind but I actually agree with you, as far as I am concerned Wiganners the bookies and whoever else can go and stuff themselves. The team that turns up on the night and puts in the required effort and dedication deserve to be crowned champs and hopefully that will be SAINTS!!
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

I disagree with the suggestion that rain would suit us. In wet conditions composure and the kicking game are of paramount importance, and we're not so strong in either of those departments with not having any half backs. For me the way to win this is to fight fire with fire. Get right up in their faces from the off, hit hard, try to slow down their ruck and refuse to back down from any confrontation at any point. If we can do that then we're in with a chance.

Banned

Well first and foremost against the odds we are at the final.

Whilst we may have limitations at half back. Smith and Green are not exactly Gregory and Edwards. Forward wise we are better. Outside backs well I don't believe there is much in it. Full back ok Wello is as slow as a Furlongs coach but he is safe and motivated and the Wigan full back is no world beater. Benches are quite even.

What is to worry about? Apeman putting the officials under pressure all week which he will, and the kicking game of ours which we need that bit of luck. They are favourites and god they will come at us, but hold em for twenty minutes and who knows.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We have a serious chance if we can keep our composure.More easily said than done.
    Last edited by Scouse Don; 4th October 2014 at 19:41.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I've just finished watching the game from the DW earlier in the season. We were so aggressive in everything we did that night. Walmsley, Richards, Thompson, Flanagan, Soliola, Manu and in particular Masoe all had big games.

In order to win next week we have to follow that template. We have to carry the ball hard and bully them in defence like we did at their place.

Wigan are favourites because of who we have missing. But if we can take the game to them with enthusiasm and aggression, whilst being disciplined in terms of errors and penalties, then we won't be far off at all.

I don't expect a win but nor am I writing us off. We are more than capable of doing this.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

No doubt a tough task with key personnel missing - but all the more sweet if we do win it. I think the underdogs tag will suit us this time around and one of the reasons we could win it. 80 minutes of focussed committed rugby and there's no reason why we couldn't.

Motivation from our rivalry and showing up like we did at the DW will help. I hope the squad consists of people like Thompson, Richards and Walmsley - their enthusiasm for me make up for their lack of experience. Then we need our more experienced players to match the youngsters enthusiasm and bring a steadiness. Others like Amor who also seem hungry for this chance - we've got no shortage of quality right across the park. Considering we've got crucial players out - the team looks strong - testament to the balance across the squad. Hope the lads focus, step up and bring their best games for the final. It could be the making of this team taking the win and bring so much confidence into the next seasons...

I'll admit to a few butterflies but excited at the same time. No reason we can't be crowned champions if we show up like we have the last two and be a match in our aggression. COYS!

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I've just finished watching the game from the DW earlier in the season. We were so aggressive in everything we did that night. Walmsley, Richards, Thompson, Flanagan, Soliola, Manu and in particular Masoe all had big games.

In order to win next week we have to follow that template. We have to carry the ball hard and bully them in defence like we did at their place.

Wigan are favourites because of who we have missing. But if we can take the game to them with enthusiasm and aggression, whilst being disciplined in terms of errors and penalties, then we won't be far off at all.

I don't expect a win but nor am I writing us off. We are more than capable of doing this.
    Spot on.
    You mention "aggression" twice, which is interesting; if I could think of one word to describe a lot of our performances this season it would be "timid".
    Next Saturday we need to meet the Pies head on- neither intimidated or dominated.