Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Same team against Catalans ?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    Walmsley in for laffranchi is the only change I'd make. Richards and Thompson I think will provide the enthusiasm we'll need if we're to win this thing. I like laffranchi and understand the argument to include him for experience but sometimes youthful exuberance beats experience.

I would go with this, but will Brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

My personal perception at the last game was Wheeler was none existent. Then I saw the stats and yes, he was none existent.

Why then do people want him in the next game against Cats?

Got A Season Ticket

Because he played dead good against Wigan for twenty five minutes four years and he was brill when he was 15 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    My personal perception at the last game was Wheeler was none existent. Then I saw the stats and yes, he was none existent.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post

I'm not sure what other options there are to be honest. Wheeler wasn't great going forwards but from memory he was solid defensively. Whilst it may not happen there's always a chance wheeler will create something and for that reason and the lack of an alternative option I'd stick with him

Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I'm not sure what other options there are to be honest. Wheeler wasn't great going forwards but from memory he was solid defensively. Whilst it may not happen there's always a chance wheeler will create something and for that reason and the lack of an alternative option I'd stick with him

Jones and Dawson are the alternatives.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Not for me, Dawson is full of endeavor but in a semi final I think it may boil down to a moment of magic from somebody, whilst we've not seen a lot of it from wheeler he's got the natural ability and arguably more flair. If jones isn't bring used at 2nd row then it's not at all for me.

Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

Learning All The Songs

In the little bit of defensive work he did he was solid. But I think his tackle count was one of the lowest in the team.

I just don't get why people want to persevere with him. Either Dawson or Jones would be better even if it's not their best position, at least they'll get stuck in an get involved in the game.

I'm no psychologist so take this with all the amateurish diagnosis that it comes with, but I'd say Wheeler is more terrified of getting injured again than anything else. That's why he's anonymous.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

I'm not someone that rates Jones in the centres particularly highly; however for this one it's Jones in the centre for me. Simply for defence. Catalans' biggest threats are their back rowers and their interplay with their centres and Escaré. Pomeroy and Duport are both big, big centres and they play outside Taia and Whitehead, who are Catalans' biggest attacking threats. Jones' size and defence make him the obvious choice over Wheeler or Dawson for this one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    I'm not someone that rates Jones in the centres particularly highly; however for this one it's Jones in the centre for me. Simply for defence. Catalans' biggest threats are their back rowers and their interplay with their centres and Escaré. Pomeroy and Duport are both big, big centres and they play outside Taia and Whitehead, who are Catalans' biggest attacking threats. Jones' size and defence make him the obvious choice over Wheeler or Dawson for this one.
    I'd agree with that. Wheeler is likely to break if Whitehead runs at him.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Jones is not the best attacking centre he hasn't got that blistering pace which for me is the differerence between being good and brilliant,but he is very solid defensively and I agree for this game against catalans he should be in to counteract their big back rowers and centres.

Got A Season Ticket

Could use Sia in the centres if we are combating there big back rowers

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

We've had arguably our best performance since the 1st half of the season, why change personnel? Keep the same side that played against Cas, except Walmsley comes off the bench for Richards

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    We've had arguably our best performance since the 1st half of the season, why change personnel? Keep the same side that played against Cas, except Walmsley comes off the bench for Richards
    As SS quoted earlier, we need size for this game. I expect Boof and Wheeler to make way for Jones and Walmsley.

Quote Originally Posted by Widnes Saint View Post
    Could use Sia in the centres if we are combating there big back rowers
    He isn't agile enough any more. His lateral movement isn't great and he would be sorely missed in the forwards for his aggression in attack and defence

I'd stick with the same team, except with Walmsley in for Richards. I'd keep Wheeler at centre as another kicking option which we need. We seem to often shift the ball wide on the last, whether that's intended or not is open to debate and Jones has kicked a few times in recent weeks. But Wheeler can put a reasonable kick in sometimes and provided another option. I'm not sure that Jones offers that much more than Wheeler at centre.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Because 1 size doesn't fit all tactics wise. A few years ago we had a team that could just go out and play our way and almost dare teams to stop us, these days our resources playing wise are a tad more modest so we need to juggle the team at times.

Got A Season Ticket Splitpuddin&gravy's Avatar

A few times we've been shaping to run on the last which draws the player back into the line who dropped back. That creates the space to kick into. It's been working well from what I've seen. Its giving players who don't usually kick more space to work with and it makes it easier for them to pull off an effective kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Splitpuddin&gravy View Post
    A few times we've been shaping to run on the last which draws the player back into the line who dropped back. That creates the space to kick into. It's been working well from what I've seen. Its giving players who don't usually kick more space to work with and it makes it easier for them to pull off an effective kick.
    Good spot and a nice little touch from Brown I'd guess. The guys currently tasked with kicking need all the help they can get.