Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian McDermott

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Brian McDermott

Is it down to the players more than the coach that Leeds have been successful over past few seasons?

The four season he has been in charge they have finished 5th,5th,3rd and 6th.

Looks to me like Leeds struggle to get motivated for the run of the mill league games. Interesting how Leeds do in the next few years with the experienced players coming to the end of their careers.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

If Leeds fail to get to Old Trafford this year because they've had to do too much in the Play Offs, they will be kicking themselves over the defeats to relegated Bradford and London either side of the Challenge Cup Semi.

If they'd have won those games, they'd be on 36 points now and in with a chance of finishing top with a nice home fixture against Hull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection WindsorSaint's Avatar

It's seemed to work for them in the past, but maybe 6th is a step too far?

I always respected him as he always spoke his mind and seemed to be very honest with his views. But have lost some of that in recent weeks with his handling of both the Joel Moon & Zak Hardacker incidents. Just my view, but seems to be playing games with the play off's approaching.

Banned

I think this year the big one for them was the Challenge Cup. A lot of their players had never won it and they have that in the bag, they do know how to win tight games but I think they will come up short in the playoffs from 6th

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I think this year the big one for them was the Challenge Cup. A lot of their players had never won it and they have that in the bag, they do know how to win tight games but I think they will come up short in the playoffs from 6th
    Yeah about right that. Could take a big team out though.Good to get them late on as they,'ll be spent.

I fancy a Leeds v Wigan GF. I think,when it matters both have the big game mentality unlike Wire,Hudds and ourselves.

Got A Season Ticket

I think they will get to the Grand Final. Where they finish in the league is not connected to the quality of the other teams. They have the best team in the competition and whoever beats them in the playoffs will be Grand Final winners. Wigan and Warrington have a chance but no-one else.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Ian Millward was a man who made his career on the back of getting his motivated for the games that mattered, and that's just what it is. Brian McDermott and his team know that the treble is something that isn't likely with so many teams competitive at the top, so they do what they have to do to target the big ones.

This year Leeds were 100% focused on the Challenge Cup first and foremost and the games around it took distinctly limited importance. You only have to look at the amount of players rested for that.

What I have noticed over the years is that Leeds do not rush players back from injury. They have had a great spine through the middle so can maybe afford to be without one or two of them more than the rest, but if Burrow, McGuire or Sinfield are on half gas, then the only time they will ever play them is if they have a 'must win' Cup or Play-Off game to come. They would never risk anyone for a run of the mill weekly round game.

The coach has been very good for them but let's not forget that they were very good before the coach too. Anyone is likely to be a great side with the players they have. For instance how many Saints players would get in the current Leeds first choice line up? Maybe Walsh, maybe Roby, maybe Makinson, but that's your lot.

They are going to hit a dip at some point soon though and that's when we all have to seize our chance. Sadly Wigan and Warrington look to be better equipped to do that over the next few years.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Ian Millward was a man who made his career on the back of getting his motivated for the games that mattered, and that's just what it is. Brian McDermott and his team know that the treble is something that isn't likely with so many teams competitive at the top, so they do what they have to do to target the big ones.

This year Leeds were 100% focused on the Challenge Cup first and foremost and the games around it took distinctly limited importance. You only have to look at the amount of players rested for that.

What I have noticed over the years is that Leeds do not rush players back from injury. They have had a great spine through the middle so can maybe afford to be without one or two of them more than the rest, but if Burrow, McGuire or Sinfield are on half gas, then the only time they will ever play them is if they have a 'must win' Cup or Play-Off game to come. They would never risk anyone for a run of the mill weekly round game.

The coach has been very good for them but let's not forget that they were very good before the coach too. Anyone is likely to be a great side with the players they have. For instance how many Saints players would get in the current Leeds first choice line up? Maybe Walsh, maybe Roby, maybe Makinson, but that's your lot.

They are going to hit a dip at some point soon though and that's when we all have to seize our chance. Sadly Wigan and Warrington look to be better equipped to do that over the next few years.
    Amor? Walmsley? Surely would be in their 17

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint-spoiler View Post
    The Amor who has already played for Leeds you mean?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

He was only a kid back then, hardly first choice. I think he would be now though, not convinced with Walmesley, hasn't impressed as much this season when I have seen him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

The Amor who Leeds tried to re-sign but chose us?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

He was only a kid back then, hardly first choice. I think he would be now though, not convinced with Walmesley, hasn't impressed as much this season when I have seen him
    I doubt he would be first choice but he would be in the 17, Alex has another tough off season coming up, he needs to learn how to play the ball for a start

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    The Amor who Leeds tried to re-sign but chose us?
    Do you really believe that? If you weren't a Saints fan and the two teams wanted your where would you go?

In The South Stand

Do you really believe that? If you weren't a Saints fan and the two teams wanted your where would you go?

The place I thought I had the best chance of carving out a career and where I hadn't been overlooked already?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by saint-spoiler View Post
    When I meant first choice line up, I meant the first 13. The form Amor and Walmsley have shown recently means I'd have to leave them out. They've both been a huge disappointment over the second half of their season.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    When I meant first choice line up, I meant the first 13. The form Amor and Walmsley have shown recently means I'd have to leave them out. They've both been a huge disappointment over the second half of their season.
    No surprise considering the injuries their both carrying...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    No surprise considering the injuries their both carrying...
    Surprised people are backing against Leeds from 6th.

It's hardly as if it makes a big difference not being in 5th place, the position they have won the GF from in the past. Put simply I'd back Leeds to hammer anyone by 20+ in their home elimination game and then they are just 2 games from OT. For one of those they play the tired loser of the pointless top 4 games, and then are likely to have the motivation of being club called thereafter.

It's a barmy format. Basically the top 8 is a pointless three game add onto the regular season followed by a Grand final.

Got A Season Ticket Agent Provocateur's Avatar

Can't see past Wigan and Leeds for the SL title.

Leeds have played yet another blinder by tossing it off at just the ideal time in order to finish 6th. They also get an extra week of rest before the play-offs commence as there is nothing whatsoever riding on their final regular season fixture away at Hull.

It's a huge relief that this format/structure which lacks credibility and rewards mediocrity is gone at the end of this season.
    Love, peace and harmony
    Love, peace and harmony
    Oh, very nice
    very nice
    very nice
    very nice
    ...but maybe in the next world

Banned

Agree a failed concept

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Is it down to the players more than the coach that Leeds have been successful over past few seasons?

The four season he has been in charge they have finished 5th,5th,3rd and 6th.

Looks to me like Leeds struggle to get motivated for the run of the mill league games. Interesting how Leeds do in the next few years with the experienced players coming to the end of their careers.
    I think it's a mix, but the one constant is Kevin Sinfield. Whatever you think of him as a player he is a quality leader on the pitch and he can play under pressure - add Jamie Peacock into that mix and you have a very powerful winning mentality and very strong leadership. Sinfield, Peacock, O'Loughlin and Briers have arguably been the game's most influential players in recent years. Leeds have very rarely been the best team in the competition on paper, but when it really matters they have had the mentality to win the big games. Sadly it's something Saints haven't had in recent years and is our biggest on pitch issue for me.

Starting A Programme Collection Lygase's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post
    Sadly it's something Saints haven't had in recent years and is our biggest on pitch issue for me.
    2 words...

James

Graham

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Lygase View Post
    2 words...

James

Graham
    I'm sure if he hadn't been in Australia for the last 3 years his leadership qualities would have made a difference to us not to mention his ability.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Saints have been lacking what Leeds and Wigan have had for some years now, stability and continuity. once we have this both in players, coaches and staff then itll improve

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post
    I'm sure if he hadn't been in Australia for the last 3 years his leadership qualities would have made a difference to us not to mention his ability.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    It didn't in his last 3 years with you.

It didn't in his last 3 years with you.
    Clueless.