Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The awesome foursome ..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    The awesome foursome. I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking. Vagana, Fielden, Anderson and McDermott would have ate them up, spit them out and laughed in their faces. Then they would have brought Peacock on to extract the urine. btw How did Tautai go?
    goon in "p*** on saints fans chips within 1 hour of a saints win post" shocker
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

[QUOTE=Rogues Gallery;563341]The awesome foursome. I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking.

Vagana, Fielden, Anderson and McDermott would have ate them up, spit them out and laughed in their faces. Then they would have brought Peacock on to extract the urine. [QUOTE]

Has anyone seen Rogues since 10.15pm last night ????
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    You mean the Fielden they paid £400,000 for .....ouch.
    The very same. And top dollar on our payroll for a 2 year spell when he played fewer games than Wheeler.

Ouch? Too bloody right!

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    The very same. And top dollar on our payroll for a 2 year spell when he played fewer games than Wheeler.

Ouch? Too bloody right!
    I remember Saints playing at Odsal in 2006 (we lost) it must have only been a few weeks before Fielden signed for Wigan,I remember thinking at that game he didn't have quite the same impact as even the year before but you presume it's just a slump,he became an absolute shadow of his former self over the next few years. I think around 2010 he picked up a bit when he got a decent run but was never the force he once was.

I remember Saints playing at Odsal in 2006 (we lost) it must have only been a few weeks before Fielden signed for Wigan,I remember thinking at that game he didn't have quite the same impact as even the year before but you presume it's just a slump,he became an absolute shadow of his former self over the next few years. I think around 2010 he picked up a bit when he got a decent run but was never the force he once was.
    offloading him was an amazing piece of business by bradford. Just a shame they seemed to waste the money

Banned

The awesome foursome. I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking.

Vagana, Fielden, Anderson and McDermott would have ate them up, spit them out and laughed in their faces. Then they would have brought Peacock on to extract the urine.

btw How did Tautai go?
    Haha! darren Britt smashed the four of them and he was pretty much our only prop back then. That was a year or so after David Fairleigh had done the same. You may remember both games, they were both finals and saints won the two.

It's tremendous the way the goons on here show their true colours when they've had a shandy.

Banned

That year under Maguire he was excellent. Shame he got injured straight after the GF and we never really got a chance to see if he was getting back to his best. I think he only played once for us again (Vs Saints when McIlorum got sent off early on). And then he played a couple of times for Hudds and then had to retire.

His early years at Bradford he was one of the best props I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    That year under Maguire he was excellent.

Baz, he had nowhere to hide once Madge arrived, he got away with murder under Nobby. As has been mentioned, he was never the same after Mason decked him. And his mother's death affected him very badly.

Our £400K didn't buy his 'early years at Bradford' which were outstanding. I reckon he cost us the thick end of a million which could have been better spent by far!

Banned

That year under Maguire he was excellent. Shame he got injured straight after the GF and we never really got a chance to see if he was getting back to his best. I think he only played once for us again (Vs Saints when McIlorum got sent off early on). And then he played a couple of times for Hudds and then had to retire.

Sorry but the way he got flattened/took a dive after the Mason punch was utterly pathetic and tarnishes his reputation somewhat in my eyes.

Not everyone is a scrapper, I understand that entirely. James Graham has never really struck me as a fighter but Fielden actively encouraged that reputation, only to soil himself the minute someone a bit bigger and tougher fronted him. He left Peacock to clear up the mess, now that's a hard player and one of the best props that has ever played the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tea-Ropati View Post
    Sorry but the way he got flattened/took a dive after the Mason punch was utterly pathetic and tarnishes his reputation somewhat in my eyes.

Not everyone is a scrapper, I understand that entirely. James Graham has never really struck me as a fighter but Fielden actively encouraged that reputation, only to soil himself the minute someone a bit bigger and tougher fronted him. He left Peacock to clear up the mess, now that's a hard player and one of the best props that has ever played the game.
    He got his cheekbone/eye socket fractured by a big right hand from Willie Mason, he hardly took a dive. haha

Banned

He got his cheekbone/eye socket fractured by a big right hand from Willie Mason, he hardly took a dive. haha
    Either way, 'the enforcer' didn't want to know when mason slotted him. He used to run scared of Barrie Mac as well whenever Leeds played Bradford.

Hugely overrated player IMO. Not even in the same league as Morley, graham or peacock as far as British props go.

Banned

To be honest Fielden was actually very poor which was a perfect match for Wigan at that time. They never really got away with cheating Stuart was a heavy price to pay. A bit like us without the cheating aspect with Mr. Perry.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Either way, 'the enforcer' didn't want to know when mason slotted him. He used to run scared of Barrie Mac as well whenever Leeds played Bradford.

Hugely overrated player IMO. Not even in the same league as Morley, graham or peacock as far as British props go.
    I think you're being harsh mate, at Bradford he was a very good player, IMO they played him for too many minutes when he was young. He was playing almost full games every week in his early 20's, I think he was burned out before Mason thumped him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think you're being harsh mate, at Bradford he was a very good player, IMO they played him for too many minutes when he was young. He was playing almost full games every week in his early 20's, I think he was burned out before Mason thumped him
    Maybe, to be honest pal that 'awesome foursome' guff used to boil my p'ss. I thought they were hugely overrated, as I said earlier I can remember darren Britt getting the better of all of them in the grand final 2003 with his back up being Barry ward. They would make me laugh Bradford, I can remember the 'anytime, any place' motto that Scott Naylor came up with one season- well yeah, anytime any place until Saints snot you in a final basically.

I always thought Fielden picked his marks. Remember him giving Jason Smith a bit of a slap up at Hull and coming off the better. But whenever another prop ( a mason or a Barrie mac for example) stepped up he invariably didn't want to know. If you're going to play the hard knock card then be prepared to back it up.

Maybe, to be honest pal that 'awesome foursome' guff used to boil my p'ss. I thought they were hugely overrated, as I said earlier I can remember darren Britt getting the better of all of them in the grand final 2003 with his back up being Barry ward. They would make me laugh Bradford, I can remember the 'anytime, any place' motto that Scott Naylor came up with one season- well yeah, anytime any place until Saints snot you in a final basically.

I always thought Fielden picked his marks. Remember him giving Jason Smith a bit of a slap up at Hull and coming off the better. But whenever another prop ( a mason or a Barrie mac for example) stepped up he invariably didn't want to know. If you're going to play the hard knock card then be prepared to back it up.
    I know what you're saying, so much crap came out of Bradford at the time it's hard to sympathise now, but I think as a youngster he was a good player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I came over and watched quite a few of the internationals and thought he had some very god games. However, he was never the same later on and I couldn't believe it when Nobbie got Wigan to pay 400K for him.

A good player at one time but never carried it on.

Learning All The Songs

I would add a couple of Burgess's to that list too.

Default The awesome foursome ..

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I would add a couple of Burgess's to that list too.
    Sorry mate but that's rubbish.

Luke Burgess is an average player but doesn't act the enforcer, but Sam is possibly the best forward in the game right now and doesn't take any grief from anyone
    Last edited by Buddy; 17th August 2014 at 00:57.

Learning All The Songs

Sorry mate but that's rubbish.

Luke Burgess is an average player but doesn't act the enforcer, but Sam is possibly the best forward in the game right now and doesn't take any grief from anyone

I said a couple, I was referring to Sam & George.

Default The awesome foursome ..

I said a couple, I was referring to Sam & George.
    So you're saying Sam & George Burgess are overrated or are you saying Fielden isn't as good as them?

I think I'm confusing myself!

Learning All The Songs

So you're saying Sam & George Burgess are overrated?
    I am saying the opposite, they are both in the same category as Morley & Graham. Both ripping it up in the NRL.

Have you been on the pop tonight or am I in a time warp?

I am saying the opposite, they are both in the same category as Morley & Graham. Both ripping it up in the NRL.

Have you been on the pop tonight or am I in a time warp?
    Sorry my mistake, I misread your post

Learning All The Songs

Sorry my mistake, I misread your post

Ha ha, no probs. I have just read them back & can see were it can be misinterpreted.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    goon in "p*** on saints fans chips within 1 hour of a saints win post" shocker
    My point was, and still is that the Bradford four of Vagana, Fielden, Anderson and McDermott were better than Amor, Walmsley, Masoe and whoever the 4th Saints prop was.

Learning All The Songs

My point was, and still is that the Bradford four of Vagana, Fielden, Anderson and McDermott were better than Amor, Walmsley, Masoe and whoever the 4th Saints prop was.
    Isn't it a bit churlish to compare past players with 4 young props at the start of their careers?