Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saints Vs. Wakefield - MATCH THREAD

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

How did McDonnell do? Seemed lively in attack but what was his defence like?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    How did McDonnell do? Seemed lively in attack but what was his defence like?
    Seemed okay. Read a few tackles wrong but for what he offered in attack I'll take that as attack is where we are screwed with injuries. Played in at second receiver lots of times in first half and seemed very creative and influential in the plays I thought.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Very positive start. New club, new players, two tries. Can't ask for much more at this stage.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Very positive start. New club, new players, two tries. Can't ask for much more at this stage.
    I'd agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    Lms was my man of the match. He had a massive game last night. But some people on here are too much against him that they can't even acknowledge a good performance from him.
    I was for along time a fan of LMS but his powderpuff performances in games where the going gets tough really annoy me as does his poor ball control and habit of giving away silly penalties (this does seem to have improved a bit). I thought he did ok last night on the back of massive efforts from Soliola, Mosoe, Amor and Walmsley , although I suspect when we come up against a tough pack he will again be shown up for the flat track bully he is.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Agree totally. No other team has has as many injuries to key critical players all at once. Not even muscle pulls which could be blamed on conditioning, weve got long term serious ones. Horrific luck, we would if won shield and playoffs if this hadn't happened. We still might but its doubtful. Brown for me has poven his worth with tactical nouse and using what weapons we have left to their maximum, even if it is based on forwards bashing up teams like Canterbury do.
    Woah mate don't say that. You do know Wigan have Ian Thornley and McIlorum missing, and Blake Greens just returned.. no idea how they've coped

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    Woah mate don't say that. You do know Wigan have Ian Thornley and McIlorum missing, and Blake Greens just returned.. no idea how they've coped
    :-)
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Starting A Programme Collection

I thought it was a good performance from Saints overall. Standouts for me were Percival, Flannagan, Makinson again, Turner( apart from his kicking which want the best), Walmsley,Amor and LMS( apart from the knock-ons, but you cant knock him for effort, a big improvement). I thought Mcdonnell showed a lot of promise. I watched him closely and he reads the game really well and puts himself in the right position. His fielding of Wakefields kicks was good despite him not having any game time lately. I liked him and hes gonna get better. Silly mistake of the night went to Turner for his really daft knock on when under zero pressure, at this level we cant keep handing possession to the opposition like that. Credit to Brown for finding a new way for the team to play. I enjoyed the game and our defence was improved.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Saint View Post
    Good win with some good tries however one thing, any player receiving the ball at the kickoff, has one foot in touch one foot in play & the ball is caught on the full, shouldn't that be a penalty to the receiving team, as that happened when Wakefield kicked off after Saints try & conversion but the ref gave a scrum to Wakefield rather than a penalty to Saints & the touch judge was looking right at it?
    Tommy caught the ball in the air with both feet off the ground.I thought the decision was right.

Generally I thought we were ok and the pack was solid.I was concerned though with us going to sleep for the last 12 mins of the first half.We just didn't all of a sudden move up in defence and handed the initiative right back to Wakey.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintlysid View Post
    I thought it was a good performance from Saints overall. Standouts for me were Percival, Flannagan, Makinson again, Turner( apart from his kicking which want the best), Walmsley,Amor and LMS( apart from the knock-ons, but you cant knock him for effort, a big improvement). I thought Mcdonnell showed a lot of promise. I watched him closely and he reads the game really well and puts himself in the right position. His fielding of Wakefields kicks was good despite him not having any game time lately. I liked him and hes gonna get better. Silly mistake of the night went to Turner for his really daft knock on when under zero pressure, at this level we cant keep handing possession to the opposition like that. Credit to Brown for finding a new way for the team to play. I enjoyed the game and our defence was improved.
    I think your being a little harsh on Turner there, yes I agree it was an error, but no more than that. I thought the Makinson mistake from a re-start was far worse, especially as it put Wakefield on the attack on our 10m line. But as is said many times, it's all about opinions. We have quite a few people mentioning LMS in the MOM stats, whereas I find that strange, especially as so few have mentioned Josh Jones, who scored 2 very good tries, tackled well and took the ball in well also. But a win is a win, and considering the need to play so many out of position and the loss of the use of one sub, I was very pleased with the performance and result.

Banned

This was the first game I have missed all season and I am so glad we got the two points. Thanks to the posters for giving a decent overview of the game. I am gutted for Gary but if it was my money I would call time on him now. Nice to see Flash went well at nine, maybe gives the option of Robes at six. Would he be less of a six than Scully or Faz?

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Of course, I'm not being overly critical. I didn't see the game. Just a general point that errors when we're in this scenario don't help our cause.

Re the new 'tactics'. Strikes me as being as simple as pick our biggest group of forwards and blow teams to pieces. We ended up putting 40 up last night through little more than Wakey being knackered it sounded after defending our big men all day. Wish FM don't go into tactical intricacies, far too interested in telling us about Bob from Mauritius, but I bet Jones defended in the back row with Turner defending in the centres as well. Basically we are looking at a big tactical reorganisation. We'll change again if Hohaia is fit for Leeds as well.

Where we'll end up will be interesting. With a fit pack like last night, we'll be a match for any forwards in the table. Leeds I've said many times I don't think are anywhere near our first choice forwards. Their reliance on Peacock for territory is enormous. Defend properly at Leeds and I think we have a great chance. Wire will be a defensive test due to the relentless nature of them throwing the ball around. Hudds will match our forwards and be a real struggle for us IMO. It's a damn shame we've lost Walsh. With this set of forwards, I think we'd be nailed on to win the SL with Walsh fit. To think we're missing Lomax as well. This season we've been dreadfully unlucky.
    Has that not been the case for the last several seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    Well obviously we haven't! We lost at Bradford and only managed to steal a draw in the last minute at HKR!

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm hoping Hohaia will be back for Leeds if so what do we reckon ? McDonnell 1, Lance 6, Wello 7 with Turner back at centre?. Should we consider giving Roby a break during a match say a 15 minute spell with Flash at hooker,I don't know just a thought? NB may even keep Turner in the middle with this system that seems to have three play makers with Lance taking Wheeler's spot.

Banned

I have said it before away to Leeds put Robes stand off and Flanners at nine.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Newlove View Post
    I'm hoping Hohaia will be back for Leeds if so what do we reckon ? McDonnell 1, Lance 6, Wello 7 with Turner back at centre?. Should we consider giving Roby a break during a match say a 15 minute spell with Flash at hooker,I don't know just a thought? NB may even keep Turner in the middle with this system that seems to have three play makers with Lance taking Wheeler's spot.
    The commentator on WISH FM mentioned that Hohaia will be available for the Leeds game, hopefully that is the case. I'd have McDonnell at fb, Hohaia and Wello 6 and 7 then try turner at 13, if it doesn't work then put him back in the centres and move Jones to the back.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    I have said it before away to Leeds put Robes stand off and Flanners at nine.
    And I will give it the same reply as last time: no no no no no. McDonnell 1 hohaia 6 Wellens 7 9 Roby 13 Turner should be our spine for the rest of the season.

Incidentally, the same half back combo that played Leeds at LP...

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Wouldn't mind seeing Mc Donnell at 7 and wello back at 1 ,
    Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    And I will give it the same reply as last time: no no no no no. McDonnell 1 hohaia 6 Wellens 7 9 Roby 13 Turner should be our spine for the rest of the season.

Incidentally, the same half back combo that played Leeds at LP...
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing Mc Donnell at 7 and wello back at 1 ,
    Just for giggles or some other reason???

In The South Stand Paul Cullen's Mantra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Just for giggles or some other reason???
    Because we are looking to be creative,score points and win...even I can comprehend the rationale behind this
    “It's been 31 years, since 1974, we last won a major (trophy and) Andrew Johns and Natty (Nathan Wood), our two oldest players were born in 1974 so it's a little bit spooky,”

There is a common trait in teams at this point in the season that they seem to sit back and wait for somebody to win the game for them. And we had too many of our players waiting for someone to win the game.”

"interfacing at the ruck"

"winning the go-forward"

"i thought we won the collision"