Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We've put down a marker

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    Not sure how it come across on TV, but the game seemed dead slow and lethargic on Friday night. Everyone around me said it had the feel of a testimonial. That was what most disappointed me with Wigan. Line speed was none existent and they didnt show any urgency until the last 4 minutes. Saints dominated the second half and if Charnley at scored at the end it would have been a travesty to be honest (Not to say I wouldn't have celebrated haha)
    The match came across as intense on the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    Yeah it did, all the commentators said it was probably the best game of the season

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintokell View Post
    Thought that the other day too. Where is he, anyone know?
    Playing at rochdale today .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    It did. It was very intense.

Loved seeing Wigan's pivots get cracked for playing right at the line as it annoys me how we've always allowed Smith and co to do as they please. We pressured the kicker and hit them constantly as well. All small details but just put doubt in Wigan's minds that they weren't going to be allowed to stroll around in their dinner suits as they usually do against us.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Yeah it did, all the commentators said it was probably the best game of the season
    Just shows how different it can seem. It was competitive but maybe cos I was sat in the East instead of behind the sticks it just seemed slow paced. Will watch it back tomorrow.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Just shows how different it can seem. It was competitive but maybe cos I was sat in the East instead of behind the sticks it just seemed slow paced. Will watch it back tomorrow.
    Be honest. It's because you lost and it takes credit away from Saints by saying it was slow and lethargic.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Be honest. It's because you lost and it takes credit away from Saints by saying it was slow and lethargic.
    We were saying at HT when we were drawing. I am not taking anything away from Saints, they were the better side in the second half by a mile.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Must fess that this thought crossed my mind too when I read what bazdev wrote!

Wheeler,Greenwood playing for Rochdale,Beaumont on bench.

Did we do to Wigan what they did to Leeds at the Etihad?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallahassee View Post
    Did we do to Wigan what they did to Leeds at the Etihad?
    Beat them? Definitely haha

The only lingering doubt I have is whether we'll do that when McIlorum is on the field. I'm not sure we'd have made so many easy metres up the middle with him on the field and there's no doubt he'd have pushed Wigan's physicality up another notch, especially that first 20 after HT. Masoe would have had a big cross on his shirt for McIlorum IMO. Looking forward to the next time we face each other. Can see self preservation being the order of that particular day !

Learning All The Songs

with Leeds looking like they are on for a defeat we could be 3 points ahead of them and 4 ahead of Wigan. First place could be very advantageous this year if we can maintain our form and secure it. Warrington are definitely looking like a dangerous threat though

Learning All The Songs

ooohhh all square at leeds now !!

Jammy buggers have snatched it. We could have been 3 points clear.

Learning All The Songs

Was my fault for talking too soon

Looking forward to seeing what the penalty was given for. 30m out and 15m in from the touchline (so pretty much bang in front) with Leeds a point behind with a minute left at RL HQ. Hmmmm.........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what the penalty was given for. 30m out and 15m in from the touchline (so pretty much bang in front) with Leeds a point behind with a minute left at RL HQ. Hmmmm.........
    Somebody on Twitter said it was for obstruction which implies Cats had the ball

Edit:- Confirmed they conceded a penalty whilst in possession with 30 seconds left. Madness

Somebody on Twitter said it was for obstruction which implies Cats had the ball

Edit:- Confirmed they conceded a penalty whilst in possession with 30 seconds left. Madness

That figures. Obstruction is invariably trying to gain an advantage to break the line. Hard to imagine Cats were in that mode with 30 seconds left and a point up. Hard to judge without seeing it but sounds very much like a home call.

Going back to the Wigan v Saints game. I don't think there was an obstruction call in the whole game, which makes a change. The video ref wasn't used relentlessly either to spoil the contest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post

That figures. Obstruction is invariably trying to gain an advantage to break the line. Hard to imagine Cats were in that mode with 30 seconds left and a point up. Hard to judge without seeing it but sounds very much like a home call.

Going back to the Wigan v Saints game. I don't think there was an obstruction call in the whole game, which makes a change. The video ref wasn't used relentlessly either to spoil the contest.
    There was a few times we went close and if we had gone over it would have been disallowed. Saints defence kept the video ref out of the game to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    Yep, Sarginson's copping some unmerciful flack which is unjustified in my opinion. Even Bateman's getting some. Two very good players.
    Seen that thread and haven't even read a single post on it. Some people have very short memories!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    Seen that thread and haven't even read a single post on it. Some people have very short memories!
    I thought Sarginson was poor myself on Friday. But he wasn't on his own.

Still think he's a very good player. Even when he was at London he made a difference. That's why Wigan signed him.