Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Wello

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Default Wello

Haven't seen the game back but thought he was immense tonight. His leadership qualities are first class and he's putting in some great performances. It's been an honour to watch him play over the years and I can't think of anyone I'd rather have captaining this club and leading the players out every week. His effort, attitude and commitment means a hell of a lot to me personally and I still feel safe with him at the back of this team.

Leader, legend and inspiration.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Haven't seen the game back but thought he was immense tonight. His leadership qualities are first class and he's putting in some great performances. It's been an honour to watch him play over the years and I can't think of anyone I'd rather have captaining this club and leading the players out every week. His effort, attitude and commitment means a hell of a lot to me personally and I still feel safe with him at the back of this team.

Leader, legend and inspiration.
    I thought exactly the same Tez. It was like he had lost 10 years tonight. Perhaps of more concern for Saints fans though, what is to be done with a fit Lomax? Last season, out of necessity, it was discovered that full back was his best position. Be that as it may, this season seems to prove that he is not the best full back!

Starting A Programme Collection

God knows what to do with lomax at the moment as it would seem the old boy has taken his place back from him!
    I'm a great fan of Wello both off and on the field and he is proving why had been the best full back for years and I've got a feeling he will be a man of steel contender this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Rolling back the years is Wello.

I think he has a portrait of Dorian Gray in his locker.

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    Rolling back the years is Wello.

I think he has a portrait of Dorian Gray in his locker.
    Nah- that's just the haircut.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

So fickle. On the back of a loss he's a doddering old fool. Wellens has never been anything other than a damned fine player who gives his all. A true legend who still cuts it for me.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    So fickle. On the back of a loss he's a doddering old fool. Wellens has never been anything other than a damned fine player who gives his all. A true legend who still cuts it for me.

He had a magnificent game last night and he brings so much more to the party than just his play at full back. The fact remains however that although he may be the best option short term at full back, he is 34 and we need a plan for fullback. Whether that is Lomax remains to be seen.

Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar

When Meli and Foster were on the wings, I used to shut my eyes when a high ball went up, but I must say, all our wingers and fullbacks are OUTSTANDING under the high ball, and that's with pressure on them too. A lot of practice has gone into to our kick return. Credit to the coaches.
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Wellens at Fullback is a different player to Wellens at second row.

His leadership and motivation is not in question, its the conundrum of only 1 fullback berth for 2 players.

This season it should no longer be an issue as Lomax is basically out.

Will Wellens play next year?? Who knows. But as soon as Lomax was injured then it just made sense to put Wellens back in at number 1. When he got a year extension I assumed that would be his role. FB when lomax was injured. If Lomax was fit there is the option of Wellens at FB in defense and Lomax at FB in attack. Whether that can be managed effectively I have no idea.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Wellens at Fullback is a different player to Wellens at second row.

His leadership and motivation is not in question, its the conundrum of only 1 fullback berth for 2 players.

This season it should no longer be an issue as Lomax is basically out.

Will Wellens play next year?? Who knows. But as soon as Lomax was injured then it just made sense to put Wellens back in at number 1. When he got a year extension I assumed that would be his role. FB when lomax was injured. If Lomax was fit there is the option of Wellens at FB in defense and Lomax at FB in attack. Whether that can be managed effectively I have no idea.
    Lomax is the right option for full back IMO, before his injuries he was fantastic for us. Just re watch the game against Leeds at LP and see how well he played (both in attack and defence) and other games that where on sky, Warrington/Salford for example. The potential is there he just seems to struggle to find form again when returning from injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post

well said rev. you and I are and always have been believers

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    well said rev. you and I are and always have been believers
    You can count me in with you two. I have been a supporter for over 60 years and for me he is an all time great.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    God knows what to do with lomax at the moment as it would seem the old boy has taken his place back from him!
    I'm a great fan of Wello both off and on the field and he is proving why had been the best full back for years and I've got a feeling he will be a man of steel contender this year.
    Was thinking exactly the same

Starting A Programme Collection Saint19's Avatar

Definitely without a doubt. He's been playing amazingly recently and it's good to see. We need him on the park and in the full back position. And if he carries on this form then he will be in with a shout of the Steve Prescott Man of Steel. It'd be fitting for a Saints player to get the Man Of Steel trophy in it's first year as the Steve Prescott Man of Steel trophy.

My idol when I was growing up, I'm going to be gutted when he does finally retire. I really hope that when Wello does finally hang up his boots that there will be a place for him on the coaching staff alongside Cunningham. He's playing out of his skin this year.
    Not Arrogant. Just Better

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    I thought exactly the same Tez. It was like he had lost 10 years tonight. Perhaps of more concern for Saints fans though, what is to be done with a fit Lomax? Last season, out of necessity, it was discovered that full back was his best position. Be that as it may, this season seems to prove that he is not the best full back!
    Yes some mixed emotions from me on this. Wello was immense and perhaps the TV footage gave us a good indication of much that we have missed as a team this season. The slight concern is that we don't get it from anywhere else, and at a time when we should be really missing our first choice full-back a 34 yr old steps up and you don't even hear his name (Lomax's) mentioned. What is does show is what a good footballer and complete professional Wello is. It's only 1 game but food gor thought.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

There is no conundrum here, number 1 shirt belongs to lomax and will for many years. Wello is one of the finest fullbacks the British game has ever produced and will fill in admirably there while lomax recovers. I have been critical of Wello in the past but this year he has proved me wrong. He deserves another year as he is in fine form, on lomax ' s return he will offer cover to any number of positions in the team.

No doubting Wello will get another year and deserves to. Lomax is no where near the finished full back and Wello can pass his knowledge on until he is.
    One thing though, and some of you stat heads will know this, how many tries has Wello this year when playing fullback to lomax or any others?
    Wellos critics always state he isn't an attacking fullback as they are these days but he always seen to score

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

No doubting Wello will get another year and deserves to. Lomax is no where near the finished full back and Wello can pass his knowledge on until he is.
    One thing though, and some of you stat heads will know this, how many tries has Wello this year when playing fullback to lomax or any others?
    Wellos critics always state he isn't an attacking fullback as they are these days but he always seen to score

Poked your finger in a hole there, surprised it hasn't been bitten off by now. But no arguments from me.

I think the main criticism about Wello's attacking game is not in respect of his try scoring but his apparent slowness or failure to pass the ball to the players outside him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think the main criticism about Wello's attacking game is not in respect of his try scoring but his apparent slowness or failure to pass the ball to the players outside him.
    To add to the debate, I'd say the frequency of passes from Lomax is pretty low too.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I don't buy this personally. The issue with Wello is that lack of sheer pace you get from a modern day full-back he therefore gets cut down early and doesn't have the ability to hide behind the play-the-ball then suddenly burst into the line. He therefore has to play a different game. I think his footballing game is very good hence why he can keep adapting his game to keep playing at the top level. His general play and composure under pressure are in my opinion better than Lomax's but he lacks the pace to offer some of the things Lomax does. At this moment in time he appears to be what the team needs. Time will tell whether he can do it week in and week out through to the play-offs. Hope so. Defence in front of him needs to be strong though as one on one is when he will be exposed pace-wise

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Windle Lad View Post
    I don't buy this personally. The issue with Wello is that lack of sheer pace you get from a modern day full-back he therefore gets cut down early and doesn't have the ability to hide behind the play-the-ball then suddenly burst into the line. He therefore has to play a different game. I think his footballing game is very good hence why he can keep adapting his game to keep playing at the top level. His general play and composure under pressure are in my opinion better than Lomax's but he lacks the pace to offer some of the things Lomax does. At this moment in time he appears to be what the team needs. Time will tell whether he can do it week in and week out through to the play-offs. Hope so. Defence in front of him needs to be strong though as one on one is when he will be exposed pace-wise
    Lomax maybe the future as Wello can,t go on forever. However he (in my opinion) is along way off being world class like Wello. His position play is knitwear near good enough. Well is ALWAYS there to catch and take the ball up but when Lomax plays its usually left to one of the wingers .