Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Luke Walsh

Got A Season Ticket

Fingers crossed its nothing serious. Couple of weeks to recoup would be fine with me. Although our recent record at Hull KR would suggest next week is gonna be tough. With or without Walsh.

Starting A Programme Collection Saint19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Whilst last night's victory was one to savour, the test now comes with the next away fixture at Hull KR. To go there and win will show whether the team is capable of maintaining this sort of form. No game is a given. Walsh will be missed. With him there we would have scored more last night I feel.
    I completely agree no game is a given, but in all honesty I can't see us struggling against any of them 6 teams. We might not even need to worry, it could be nothing and Walsh could come back next week but at least he gets a bit of recovery time with no 'big games' coming up.
    Not Arrogant. Just Better

Got A Season Ticket

We certainly need Luke back asap if we have aspirations of winning the Grand final. Wilkin was awesome last night but he is a 2nd row. The good thing is that now we have a cushion at the top of the league and our next games are Hull KR (A) Bulls (H) London (A) Widnes (H) Hull (A) Wakefield (H) and this takes us through to the Leeds game on the 29th of August (9 full weeks from now) !! There are no real easy games and the 2 Hull away games will be a test but with our cushion at the top I fancy to pick up close to the majority of league points in this time period, And this hopefully give Luke a lot of rehab time if needed.
    For me it sets up the top of the league decider in Leeds on the 29th Aug. Last night now looks to be a huge win as it does give us time and breathing space as we now have a period of playing the "lesser" sides but these games need winning and im confident we can even if Luke doesn't play for a while but we do need him back for the business time of the season.

Learning All The Songs Mac Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    Last time he played through it though, but unfortunately this time he could not.

But his durability is a question, in which case we need to protect him more as I think he is very important to our creativity.
    He got injured Hudds away and Leeds away too if I remember rightly.
    This wonderful St. Helens OUTFIT

Got A Season Ticket

just noted I said in my previous need Luke back asap but in that I mean when hes ready without rushing and we now have time on our side.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

As Much as I am a fan of Wilkin and as great as he was last night, I hope we don't have to depend on him in the half back role.
    I don't know if it was because of our forwards or whether it was Wilkin making space for himself, but he seemed to have so much time with every kick last night that he could place it where he wanted. He may not get that luxury in other games and he can't take on the line the way Walsh can. Still I would have him in the team every week.

To be honest I don't think it'll be anything serious. He'll be back for the Hull KR game

Starting A Programme Collection shabbashaz's Avatar

Percy seemed to do alright with the conversions, still not sure that he missed the first one.
    ONLY ONE STEVE PRESCOTT

In The South Stand

God help Walshy if he is having spasms at he's age

Learning All The Songs

If Walsh is out for any length of time it's now time for Wheeler to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Not sure. You need to convince me.

Got A Season Ticket

If it a significant lay off maybe we could return and give Gaz O'Brien another loan spell.

No chance of an O'Brien return. Pointless

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    I can take defeat with good grace. Its the people who don't know how to take victory who are the problem! :P
    I actually feel embarrassed for you. I cringed just reading this. Oh dear oh dear.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    God help Walshy if he is having spasms at he's age
    You can have a spasm at any age!

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    What last night showed, is that in the short term Wilkin can fill in for Walsh, it's not ideal I know, but overall our lack of back up at scrum half is our only problem area. We have cover in every other position, apart from scrum half. Percival also showed again that he has a decent boot on him and his conversion of the Makinson 2nd try was massive, ensuring Wigan needed to score twice.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    What last night showed, is that in the short term Wilkin can fill in for Walsh, it's not ideal I know, but overall our lack of back up at scrum half is our only problem area. We have cover in every other position, apart from scrum half. Percival also showed again that he has a decent boot on him and his conversion of the Makinson 2nd try was massive, ensuring Wigan needed to score twice.
    wilkin can fill in for walsh, as long as the forwards give him a platform to work off. wilkins game is passing and kicking. he doesn't possess attributes that typical half backs do. no sidestep, pace etc. his game is ball distribution and kicking. if our forwards fail to turn up he has nothing else to fall back on. if our forwards continue to play like that then im happy for him to cover 7 whilst walsh is out
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    wilkin can fill in for walsh, as long as the forwards give him a platform to work off. wilkins game is passing and kicking. he doesn't possess attributes that typical half backs do. no sidestep, pace etc. his game is ball distribution and kicking. if our forwards fail to turn up he has nothing else to fall back on. if our forwards continue to play like that then im happy for him to cover 7 whilst walsh is out
    Wilkin's passing is more limited than Walsh's is too and we tend to play to the left a lot when Wilkin is in charge. I hope Walsh isn't out at all frankly because I'm convinced we would have scored more last night with him in the side. Although Wilkin and Hohaia both kicked very well indeed, we looked limited in attack without Walsh.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Performances like last night make me wonder where exactly Wilko's best position is. For me, his best position is at loose forward but Brown proffers a bit more size there around the ruck. Had a been blessed with a little bit more pace I'm not sure he would have stepped foot anywhere near a forward pack.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    Wilkin's passing is more limited than Walsh's is too and we tend to play to the left a lot when Wilkin is in charge. I hope Walsh isn't out at all frankly because I'm convinced we would have scored more last night with him in the side. Although Wilkin and Hohaia both kicked very well indeed, we looked limited in attack without Walsh.
    yes i definitely agree the loss of walsh effected our attack. but if walsh is out injured im sure wilkin can steer us around the pitch and lead us to victory as long as the forwards can grind it out like they did last night

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Performances like last night make me wonder where exactly Wilko's best position is. For me, his best position is at loose forward but Brown proffers a bit more size there around the ruck. Had a been blessed with a little bit more pace I'm not sure he would have stepped foot anywhere near a forward pack.
    i agree. we've been spoilt to some great 7's at saints through the years and jon wilkin is no bobbie goulding or sean long. but that doesn't make him a bad half back. he's capable of steering a team around and creating tries as well as any other genuine half back in super league

Learning All The Songs

Please no don't start playing wilkin in the halfback role, these star performances there are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by shabbashaz View Post
    Percy seemed to do alright with the conversions, still not sure that he missed the first one.
    Neither am I. I couldn't believe it when it was waved away!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    Neither am I. I couldn't believe it when it was waved away!
    I was sat directly in line and it didn't go over. If you watch it again all our stand go up immediately cheering when he kicked it. It was 2 yards left of the far post the whole way

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I was sat directly in line and it didn't go over. If you watch it again all our stand go up immediately cheering when he kicked it. It was 2 yards left of the far post the whole way
    Remind me never to ask you to measure a job up for me. Shambles.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS