Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Vs. Saints - MATCH THREAD

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Genuinely, without Bentham doing his damnedest for them and even without Luke Walsh for an hour, we'd have won by 20 tonight.

Battered them up front. Their pivots didn't want to take the line on after the first half hour when he kept hitting them. Smith totally non-existent.

Without McIlorum, they're a sack of shit pack that love it when they're on top but don't want to know when someone gives it back. Masoe, Thompson and LMS battered them. Watching Hughes think twice when he saw Masoe was the guy who hit him was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    And Wilkins SS come on he was brilliant tonight,no bigger critic than me but he stood up as all the team did.
    I've made a thread my friend !

Got A Season Ticket

Can't believe Wane said decisions went against them with a straight face!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Not really bothered about the ref, it was all about us tonight. We needed to match them up front and make them take a step back at times and know they were in a battle. It started early and we kept at it. It was a marquee victory for us and a statement that we can maybe do something at the end of the season. As Brown says though it's all about how we back it up.

Looking at Twitter there are lots of comments about our game tonight. No World Cup games, we had the night to ourselves and I reckon we got a big TV audience for that. Great that we stepped up and made a statement in such a big regular season game. Even if we'd lost it at the end we did enough to suggest we can do it again in September. It's only one win, it's only 2 points, but it's a big win and a massive morale booster.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Luke Thompson and Greg Richards were great tonight, a great team effort but those two have bright futures.

Thompson has something about him, real talent.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)

Got A Season Ticket

Well done LMS and the rest of the pack, true grit on show tonight.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

on 70 minutes wigan were out of it. despicable reffing from bentham got them up field and gifted them set after set ignoring forward passes and knock ons. ridiculous refereeing that swung the momentum back towards wigan
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Bentham was appalling today. Terrible decision in the Masoe "late hit", Bateman knocking onto Robys back which led to a try (i think)?

Learning All The Songs

Bent ham certainly did his best for Wigan in that last ten minutes exemplified by the loose carry from Bateman and giving the penalty off the crowd reaction of it being a steal.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Bentham was appalling today. Terrible decision in the Masoe "late hit", Bateman knocking onto Robys back which led to a try (i think)?
    Drop out given wrongly
    Missed the most forward pass ever
    Forward pass in build up to last try

Starting A Programme Collection Marsh's Avatar

It's a sporting mystery how we won that bent Phil did everything he could to gift the goons a win

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    Luke Thompson and Greg Richards were great tonight, a great team effort but those two have bright futures.

Thompson has something about him, real talent.
    Agreed.

Richards has improved immeasurably and Thompson just seems to step up when you need it. I really think Thompson is a special talent and possible future captain. Only Wigan produce talent though !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Awaiting long overdue silverware at Saints

Well done to all 17, second week on the bounce we've seen passion, pride and flair. Proud of all of them. That's what playing for Saints is all about. Faith restored.
    AN ENEMY IS BETTER THAN A TWO FACED FRIEND

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Agreed. Richards has improved immeasurably and Thompson just seems to step up when you need it. I really think Thompson is a special talent and possible future captain. Only Wigan produce talent though !
    those two young forwards ran the ball very well and won the contact. they never seemed phased and managed to bend the wigan line on a number of occasions. very impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Agreed.

Richards has improved immeasurably and Thompson just seems to step up when you need it. I really think Thompson is a special talent and possible future captain. Only Wigan produce talent though !
    I can't put my finger on it with Thompson, he looks like a leader already. He's a boy but plays like a man, probably the best way I can put it.

Richards is more of a traditional prop, gives good go forward and is improving week by week. Going to Wigan and playing key roles in a win will be massive for them !

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    I know that was pretty out there. You expect to get some things to go against you but that was taking the mick.

A great game for Saints against Bentham and Wigan.

Wilkin, Masoe, Hohaia, Richards and Thompson very good.

Bowens attempt on Makinson made my night.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Starting A Programme Collection Billy Bunter's Avatar

Luke Thompson fantastic, so aggressive. You think back to guys like Dixon and Ashurst who did the basics well, but they were just so passive. This guy loves contact!!

Mose Masoe, please let him be cranking up for the run-in / playoffs. Dragged defenders in. Hurt them in the tackle, disrupted them.

Much like the Leeds match earlier this year, we've shown we can mix it in physical intensity.

Won't even comment on Bentham.....

Really impressed with how they kept O'Loughlin under control. Bateman looked very ordinary too which is testament to our defence.

I can't put my finger on it with Thompson, he looks like a leader already. He's a boy but plays like a man, probably the best way I can put it.

Richards is more of a traditional prop, gives good go forward and is improving week by week. Going to Wigan and playing key roles in a win will be massive for them !
    Where Thompson scores highly in my view is the fact that he accelerates into the contact, seemingly running at a point a couple of metres beyond the tackler. Early days yet, but I always thought that's what Kevin Ward did.

Got A Season Ticket

I think the last sentence provides a basis why everyone has a right to be disgusted with that refereeing performance.

Teams are built on collective spirit and those lads could not have tried any harder tonight. If they had lost tonight despite giving their all it would have gone down in the record books and nipped away at their confidence. They may have thought they were not good enough when in reality they were good enough to win by 12 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Where Thompson scores highly in my view is the fact that he accelerates into the contact, seemingly running at a point a couple of metres beyond the tackler. Early days yet, but I always thought that's what Kevin Ward did.
    Correct! This was shown perfectly when he ran over the top of the young Wigan lad making his debut.

Awaiting long overdue silverware at Saints

[QUOTE=Talk some sense!;556585]I can't put my finger on it with Thompson, he looks like a leader already. He's a boy but plays like a man, probably the best way I can put it.

Reminds me of NormanWhiteside who used to play for United and N.Ireland, he was only 16 at the time but already a man in build, physique and stature. Great quality to have especially in RL. Liked Thmpson from first time I watched him at Academy level, future leader without doubt. Great prospect.
    AN ENEMY IS BETTER THAN A TWO FACED FRIEND

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    he never did, did he?!
    oh my god. that fool is fast becoming a joke. bentham gave them everything to keep them in that game!!
    i usually take the wins quietly but tonight im a sore winner. the refs decisions late in that second half boiled my p***

Thompson gives a shit. He reminds me of Graham in that he visibly cares so early in his career. He's going to get stronger and bigger and is already capable of bending a defensive line. We saw at MM that he can offload as well. In most games he struggles to make metres but shows up with his work rate. Tonight when most needed, he made metres and I bet his defensive performance was superb as well.

He's fast becoming one of the first names on the sheet. He gives a damn and has ability to boot.

Despite all this, Percival is the really, really special one. Talent written all over that boy. Pace, power, offloading game, defends hard and runs brilliant lines. I hope we can keep Percival as he's going to attract NRL attention fast.