Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Clarke Comment

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tea-Ropati View Post
    Would you have Danny Kirmond as a replacement for Soliola? I really like him, I know he was injured last night but I think he's a cracking player who could make the step up quite easily.
    Not for Soliola I wouldn't, no.

Kirmond is another defensive back rower; hard worker, loads of tackles but not much of an attacking threat. We've already got Flanagan, Jones and Wilkin, to a lesser extent, doing that. We need an attacking back rower who'll contribute big metres, big tackles, offloads etc IMO. Hopefully, Vea is more in that mould. If it was upto me, we'd sacrifice the hard working back rowers for more attacking ones across the board.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post

Kirmond is another defensive back rower; hard worker, loads of tackles but not much of an attacking threat. We've already got Flanagan, Jones and Wilkin, to a lesser extent, doing that. We need an attacking back rower who'll contribute big metres, big tackles, offloads etc IMO. Hopefully, Vea is more in that mould. If it was upto me, we'd sacrifice the hard working back rowers for more attacking ones across the board.
    I think Flanagan has shown in the last two games that he has a bit more in his arsenal than defence. Two beautiful back flick passes, especially the one at Wigan, to give Makinson the chance to score.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie's Boots View Post
    I think Flanagan has shown in the last two games that he has a bit more in his arsenal than defence. Two beautiful back flick passes, especially the one at Wigan, to give Makinson the chance to score.
    I'd agree with that. He's improved enormously over the last month or so. I thought he was one of the few to come out of the Cats game with an element of pride as well. With his defensive efforts, if he keeps up with his attacking improvement, he's a good second rower.

I think he's been asked to play a bit less conservative to be honest. He's making more metres and assisting tries but equally, he's making a few errors as well, which is to be expected when you play a bit 'looser'.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

We need an attacking back rower who'll contribute big metres, big tackles, offloads etc IMO. Hopefully, Vea is more in that mould. If it was upto me, we'd sacrifice the hard working back rowers for more attacking ones across the board.

Unfortunately there are not many Sculthorpes around, mores the pity. But I see where you are coming from and would love to see the second coming.

No attacking threat? Didn't he score something like 15 tries last season?

How is attacking threat measured?

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

He did score a few. It's just the impression I've always got when I've seen him that he's essentially a defensive back rower. Maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

For a forward, it isn't on tries scored. Its carries, metres made and tackle busts. Karl Pryce can score tries but would never be labelled an attacking threat as long as he had a hole in his arse!

Quote Originally Posted by BoldMiners View Post
    For a forward, it isn't on tries scored. Its carries, metres made and tackle busts. Karl Pryce can score tries but would never be labelled an attacking threat as long as he had a hole in his arse!
    That echoes my thoughts as well.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Clarke was the only one without the Leeds glasses on tonight, the only one to call the Hall knock on.
    As for Tautai, he's never made less than 100 meters in any game he has played this season and he does his share of the defensive work.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/matchday/player/6334

Tim Smith was my m.o.m. tonight, strange player!!
    Was it me or did they keep looking at, and call, a Hall knock on when in fact the next touch looked more like the knock on which was asked to be looked at? If they had called over the second touch it was clear cut-although Halls arm DID move as he was already tackling and then moved it when the pass was made, that was only clearer when slowed down?

In The South Stand

He did score a few. It's just the impression I've always got when I've seen him that he's essentially a defensive back rower. Maybe I'm wrong.
    No your right. But no doubts he has been better in the last couple of games.