Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer News

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    If you get to the point where you need to spell your full back u have to question conditioning
    In theory you are correct, in practice what our back 3 are being expected to do is just bad coaching.

Another tactic I don't get props taking it up twice in a set???

Got A Replica Shirt

I can understand the backs taking it up for the first tackle to let the props get into position and ready to drive the ball up, but then after 2/3 props getting tackled we should look to spread the ball wider a bit more often to open up the defence instead of just 4/5 drives on a kick.

I also think thats why we always go on the blind side from scrums, to get out of centre field to get the forwards in position, doesnt seem to work very well though!

Starting A Programme Collection Village Saint's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    If you knew who I was speaking to you may believe me. Believe what you want. He won't be here next season
    Come on then, who are you talking to? Forgive me, but inside scoops etc. on RedVee don't have a great past record for either being right or the poster actually proving evidence that shows that they're not just stretching gossip.

A few days ago I had never heard of this journo pete smith, he vaguely spins a rumours and drip feeds info until it is revealed he is just restarting a discredited rumour from 2/3 weeks ago but in the mean time he gains a large volume of views to his twitter feed and then backtracks on the confidence he originally had and hides behind 'just what I've heard'.

It's a very easy nerve to touch when we're coming off a loss like last week and journos know this better than anyone.

Heres the bike, feel free to put the big man on it.

Starting A Programme Collection

I am one of those that doesnt think Luke Walsh will be here for next season.

Ive heard of a signing which if it comes off will be, in my opinion a brilliant signing for the club and one which will compliment Walsh. Its a big if though as the player is on a good deal at their current club

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    I am one of those that doesnt think Luke Walsh will be here for next season.

Ive heard of a signing which if it comes off will be, in my opinion a brilliant signing for the club and one which will compliment Walsh. Its a big if though as the player is on a good deal at their current club
    Spill the beans...

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    If you don't say names there is absolutely no point in posting that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

He is probably referring to Kev Brown as this rumour was all over RLFans a couple of weeks ago.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    He is probably referring to Kev Brown as this rumour was all over RLFans a couple of weeks ago.
    Hasnt he got 2 years left on his current deal?

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

If we are involved in a transfer then let's think it through logically. We're short on forwards, i doubt we have a lot of space on the cap and the Walsh rumour has been denied twice by Saints. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Beaumount out and we're bringing another prop in

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Village Saint View Post
    A few days ago I had never heard of this journo pete smith, he vaguely spins a rumours and drip feeds info until it is revealed he is just restarting a discredited rumour from 2/3 weeks ago but in the mean time he gains a large volume of views to his twitter feed and then backtracks on the confidence he originally had and hides behind 'just what I've heard'.
    If you haven't heard of Peter Smith then that's fair enough, but he has been on Super League Backchat on Sky on several occasions so he has some credibility with the RL media and isn't some nobody hiding behind his laptop creating rumours for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    If we are involved in a transfer then let's think it through logically. We're short on forwards, i doubt we have a lot of space on the cap and the Walsh rumour has been denied twice by Saints. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Beaumount out and we're bringing another prop in
    Logically who could it be?

With our lack of props (props that dont make yards) why dont we bring clough back?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    With amor Walmsley lafrank mose forster beaumont walker Thompson we do not need another prop. We need the best ones to get free of injury and in the meantime selections and motivation need to improve. Lance has improved this season but is not and never will be a six. He is a world class substitute. A player who can cover all the back positions 1-7 if your first choice gets a knock. He could offer more to this team by doing 20mins at 9 to rest Roby and 20mins at 1 to rest lomax. Both these players are looking like they are doing too much.
    I 100% agree with this post! Roby and Lomax are asked to do too much, whilst others don't do enough.

Lomax seems to have to help Hohaia out with running the ball and causing defences a threat - which is what a proper Stand-Off should do. Roby will be burnt out come August, as he always gives 100% but is never given a rest.

Lance Hohaia has had 3 YEARS to make the Stand-Off jersey his own - but he hasn't. I know it's difficult playing as a Half-Back behind a poor pack, but I expect more from a World-Class player than what he's shown. Get him on the bench as lee.ashtonsaint says to cover Robes & Lomax (and wherever else needed).

On the transfer front, we NEED a proper Stand-Off now! I believe that we will be signing Travis Burns, but I thought it wasn't going to happen until next season? Let's hope today's the day!

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Logic would tell you that we AREN'T short on forwards, just short on FIT props, so no need to sign yet another prop. Logic would also tell you that we need a proper Stand-Off, Travis Burns is out of contract at the end of the year, and is another Penrith Old Boy who I would presume that Luke Walsh (& Mose Masoe) knows of and has some experience of playing with.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    He's a Yorkie journo so I doubt he'd be first to get any Walsh story if it were to break.

He also says it doesn't involve any of Leeds, Wakey or Cas. I can't see us selling anyone to Hudds, Hull, HKR or Bradford at present so I'm inclined to believe we may be trying to sign somebody from those clubs. He seems to suggest it'd cause 'quite a stir' as well.

Has McManus got the chequebook out again ????
    Last post before I get the sack!

Applying logic above would suggest that the club involved could be Hull KR and them loosing Travis Burns now would cause them 'quite a stir' too. I was thinking that Tim Smith cming to Saints could be a possibility, but why would a Yawkshire journalist know that before anyone more local to Salford.

Come on Saints - is Travis Burns signing for us?????

Quote Originally Posted by St Liam View Post
    I 100% agree with this post! Roby and Lomax are asked to do too much, whilst others don't do enough.

Lomax seems to have to help Hohaia out with running the ball and causing defences a threat - which is what a proper Stand-Off should do. Roby will be burnt out come August, as he always gives 100% but is never given a rest.

Lance Hohaia has had 3 YEARS to make the Stand-Off jersey his own - but he hasn't. I know it's difficult playing as a Half-Back behind a poor pack, but I expect more from a World-Class player than what he's shown. Get him on the bench as lee.ashtonsaint says to cover Robes & Lomax (and wherever else needed).

On the transfer front, we NEED a proper Stand-Off now! I believe that we will be signing Travis Burns, but I thought it wasn't going to happen until next season? Let's hope today's the day!
    Lomax for me doesn't do enough attacking on the edge for me and is wasting his efforts taking carries up the middle and often gettin invloved at 1st reciever when he doesn't need to be. Is the a tactic employed by Saints or can he not hlp but get involved becuase others are not? I think Hohaia is doing a good job this year and this is down to Walsh and i think the main reason we are struggling is the aggression/mentality of our pack.

Most SL clubs will have a 'speedo set' were the back 3 are often called upon to take majority of tackles that set. This is to help out the pack men who have been taking carries as well as defending, the only downside to this is our back 3 are not strong carriers and are often tackled easily and put on their back.

Noooobie

That's a fair point about Lomax, but he can't do any attacking around the edges if we don't have the ball in an attacking position!

Your comments above prove my point about Hohaia to some degree. As a marquee signing several years ago, he should have come in then and improved the quality of other players around him at that time - like Walsh has done this year. I do agree that Lance is having his best season at Saints this year, but he's still not been up to the standard that his wages dictate should be. I'm not trying to single out one player for all the criticism as you can't pin the whole team's issues down to him.

I totally agree about the aggression/mentality of our pack - it's totally changed without Amor there. If he comes back in time this year and carries on from where he left off, I would rate Amor in the same bracket as James Graham. As well as aggression/mentality, we NEED to bring back the offloading game to get some go forward and teams scrambling in defence. Obviously not stupid offloads like we saw too many of on Sunday though!

Come on Saints - Who are we signing?? And/or who is leaving??

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Great Day for RL View Post
    Most SL clubs will have a 'speedo set' were the back 3 are often called upon to take majority of tackles that set. This is to help out the pack men who have been taking carries as well as defending, the only downside to this is our back 3 are not strong carriers and are often tackled easily and put on their back.
    That's why I personally think it's dumb coaching o ask them to take up the ball first. Surely a good coach adapts plays to suit the players? While it's in order to ask backs to help out when forwards are tiring, to do the same thing over and over knowing that we won't get far just when we need to be making distance is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by St Liam View Post
    That's a fair point about Lomax, but he can't do any attacking around the edges if we don't have the ball in an attacking position!

Your comments above prove my point about Hohaia to some degree. As a marquee signing several years ago, he should have come in then and improved the quality of other players around him at that time - like Walsh has done this year. I do agree that Lance is having his best season at Saints this year, but he's still not been up to the standard that his wages dictate should be. I'm not trying to single out one player for all the criticism as you can't pin the whole team's issues down to him.

I totally agree about the aggression/mentality of our pack - it's totally changed without Amor there. If he comes back in time this year and carries on from where he left off, I would rate Amor in the same bracket as James Graham. As well as aggression/mentality, we NEED to bring back the offloading game to get some go forward and teams scrambling in defence. Obviously not stupid offloads like we saw too many of on Sunday though!

Come on Saints - Who are we signing?? And/or who is leaving??

I think Hohaia has benefeited from Walsh as he is the general and will guid the team around the pitch. Not all half backs have this ability unforunetly.

We do have a lot of attacking position on the field but being able to attack the edges requires quick play the balls which again boils down to the pack. I think there are a lot of players on high wages that probably don't deserve them.

With the linkes of Amor or Graham you have a prop that will carry the ball up no matter what but when you compare that to the other younger props/ pack men coming through i dont see anybody that has that mental toughness to be able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    If you haven't heard of Peter Smith then that's fair enough, but he has been on Super League Backchat on Sky on several occasions so he has some credibility with the RL media and isn't some nobody hiding behind his laptop creating rumours for no reason.
    It wasn't his credentials I was questioning, I mean just because I haven't heard of him doesn't mean he is or he isn't well known.

What I was getting at is before he spun a 2/3 week old rumour I had never visited his twitter page or noticed him and now me and many others will have done. It's just a publicity stunt on his behalf more than it is an unveiling of news.

What I think has happened here is 2 weeks ago only Saints fans really read the article saying Walsh was happy and staying at the club, then a week later League Express newspaper read Saints fans talking about the article and reprinted 'news' and now people are trying to regurgitating the 'news' again. The 2 lines at the end of an interview by Saints seem to have slowly filtered down and been spun a little more and a little more over the past few weeks.

Luke looks pretty happy here with his Dad anyways
    (Source @engywalmsley)

Brown is to old for big money

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Brown is to old for big money
    Brown is on big money at Widnes.
    Go back to my post on on 12th April to see who Saints were targeting.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Brown is on big money at Widnes. Go back to my post on on 12th April to see who Saints were targeting.
    no just tell us. im not reading through 5 weeks worth of your shyte
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Have now been told that Walsh will see his contract out. Has changed his mind

In The South Stand

Just lol

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

brill
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies