Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Salary Cap

Default Salary Cap

The salary cap was designed to even out the top players across all teams raising the the standards of the bottom clubs to catch the top clubs.

The way I see it the bottom clubs are still poor and the top clubs have gone considerably worse hampering the standard of the league.

How do people suggest we raise the standards of the league whilst retaining a larger percentage of our talent instead of them going to RU/NRL whilst keeping the same cap?

I'm all for cap BTW but in its current guise it is not working.
    Seasoned logs for sale £3.50 per net bag or £30 for 10 net bags delivered within Billinge/Wigan area.

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 29wes28 View Post
    The salary cap was designed to even out the top players across all teams raising the the standards of the bottom clubs to catch the top clubs.

The way I see it the bottom clubs are still poor and the top clubs have gone considerably worse hampering the standard of the league.

How do people suggest we raise the standards of the league whilst retaining a larger percentage of our talent instead of them going to RU/NRL whilst keeping the same cap?

I thought it was brought in to make clubs sustainable, clearly its not working at that either!

I thought the franchise was to make the league sustainable which hasn't worked and the RFL have acknowledged that by reverting back to P&R.
    Seasoned logs for sale £3.50 per net bag or £30 for 10 net bags delivered within Billinge/Wigan area.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 29wes28 View Post

For the cap,

Players who come through the academy systems and have played more than 50 1st team games, only half of their wage counts on the cap, easy example, if Graham decides to come back to SL, Saints can offer him 500,000 a season but only 250,000 counts towards the cap.

Marquee signing, I agree with, golden ticket i don't, too many potential complications

For the comp,

ALOT more money than their is now for the team that finishes top (more teams my decide to play their best players in most games instead of choosing to save their players for the end of the season ala Wigan/Leeds)

The fact that all teams should be able to spend the full cap from the SKY money in a few years should see the standard improve dramatically in the short term

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Is it the salary cap that's the issue or how clubs are spending it? For me the change has to come with regards to overseas players. Too many poor quality players are getting paid big money, and even worse they're in key positions. We have no English scrum halves in the game fighting for the international shirt. And IMO that's because most clubs (yes I know ours included) have brought in overseas players instead of developing they're own.

Starting A Programme Collection Village Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    For the cap,

Players who come through the academy systems and have played more than 50 1st team games, only half of their wage counts on the cap, easy example, if Graham decides to come back to SL, Saints can offer him 500,000 a season but only 250,000 counts towards the cap.

Marquee signing, I agree with, golden ticket i don't, too many potential complications
    Something along these lines

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    For the cap,

For the comp,

ALOT more money than their is now for the team that finishes top (more teams my decide to play their best players in most games instead of choosing to save their players for the end of the season ala Wigan/Leeds)

The fact that all teams should be able to spend the full cap from the SKY money in a few years should see the standard improve dramatically in the short term
    From 2015 club trained players will only count for upto £100,000 on the cap, part of the structure changes :-

5.3.11 In Tier 1, the current Elite Squad Representative Dispensation Allowance is removed, to be replaced by regulation that limits the Salary Cap Value of a Club Trained Player at a nominal value of £100k (i.e. for any Club Trained Player with a Salary Cap Value of over £100k, his Salary Cap Value will be assessed at £100k only with any additional wage not included in his salary cap value). This would reward clubs for producing elite talent and give them an opportunity to retain this talent in the face of competition from other sports and competitions.

http://media.therfl.co.uk/docs/Polic...ber%202013.pdf

To my knowledge this has been ratified (along with the structure changes) - so if we offered £500,000 a year for graham, he'd count for £100,000 on the cap.

Learning All The Songs Saint Simon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    From 2015 club trained players will only count for upto £100,000 on the cap, part of the structure changes :-

5.3.11 In Tier 1, the current Elite Squad Representative Dispensation Allowance is removed, to be replaced by regulation that limits the Salary Cap Value of a Club Trained Player at a nominal value of £100k (i.e. for any Club Trained Player with a Salary Cap Value of over £100k, his Salary Cap Value will be assessed at £100k only with any additional wage not included in his salary cap value). This would reward clubs for producing elite talent and give them an opportunity to retain this talent in the face of competition from other sports and competitions.

To my knowledge this has been ratified (along with the structure changes) - so if we offered £500,000 a year for graham, he'd count for £100,000 on the cap.
    Aye, but i doubt Mac would pay that for a player, even of Jammers caliber. But this is probably at the very low end of what it would take to get the very top NRL stars over here

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Simon View Post
    Aye, but i doubt Mac would pay that for a player, even of Jammers caliber. But this is probably at the very low end of what it would take to get the very top NRL stars over here
    Agreed mac won't pay, but he could pay - at least the options there, and in reality it opens cap space from Roby to bring a few more in (as opposed to one superstar signing) if we want to spend more than the cap.

It probably won't create space for a super star Aussie, but, it's not infeasible for us to match an offer of £400,000 (currently jammers highest offer) as it would be if we were strictly held to the cap

I would be happy with that. Its progress and does reward the clubs who develop their own players and helps them to retain them.

Excellent. This offers a reward for clubs who produce their own talent and would free up some cap space for a 'marquee' player without the need for a total exemption.