Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The NRL Thread ( Spoilers)

Default The NRL Thread ( Spoilers)

With the finals around the corner, quite a few English lads over there and several NRL threads on the forum I thought it would be a good idea to have one thread covering the game down under

It saves posting a new thread every time the Burgess brothers take the field or another Aussie does something naughty so keeps the forum a bit tidier

Hopefully there will be enough interest to keep the thread on the first page

So the Rabbitohs vs Roosters this Friday - should be a cracker. First vs Second in the league (or the ladder as they call it)

Going for the Roosters myself despite them losing their last 2
    Last edited by Div; 28th August 2014 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    With the finals around the corner, quite a few English lads over there and several NRL threads on the forum I thought it would be a good idea to have one thread covering the game down under

It saves posting a new thread every time the Burgess brothers take the field or another Aussie does something naughty so keeps the forum a bit tidier

Hopefully there will be enough interest to keep the thread on the first page

So the Rabbitohs vs Roosters this Friday - should be a cracker. First vs Second in the league (or the ladder as they call it)

Going for the Roosters myself despite them losing their last 2
    I see the Dragons (Oz Red Vee) are in a worse state than us, being next to bottom on the ladder

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Indeed. St George Illawarra and Parramatta occupying the bottom two places despite both being grand finalists quite recently

Not sure that could happen over here

Starting A Programme Collection WindsorSaint's Avatar

We all know its a much more competative league and several teams have been up and down the 'ladder' in recent times, you just have to look at the fortunes of some of these: Broncos, Bulldogs, Eels, Panthers, Roosters, Warriors for example to see the high's and low's of their fortunes. One of the most open competitions in world rugby with 9 different winners since 1998 and a further 3 teams contesting the final without a win. That's 12 of the 16 teams involved in the Grand Finals over there. If only!

My money is on the Rabbitohs this year which will make it 13 of the 16!! Name any other competition in any sport that is more competitive?

Banned

I think some of the officiating in the NRL is a disgrace. Brisbane got absolutely caned against Penrith a fortnight back, it was so biased it was untrue, today Canterbury were hammered. It's one of the only things I have a gripe with, the other is when players purposely lie down, hoping the video ref has a look and gives a penalty.

I backed Souths for both the minor Premiership and the Grand Final, I think their pack will win it for them

Yeah although it's the same sport things are interpreted very different over there

I only watched the 2nd half but I thought Canterbury were poor, Barba doesn't look interested to me. Graham was decent and he's a better player than when he left, his footwork and lateral movement makes him even more difficult to put down. He will rip it up when he comes back

Big shout from the commentators on the young Brisbane wing (Corey Oates?) to say he will be one of the best backs in the league. The frame on him I expect that he won't end up as a winger

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    I backed Souths for both the minor Premiership and the Grand Final, I think their pack will win it for them
    Your betting record isn't the best is it?

It was a very good game though. Souths pack is massive but the Roosters had the best player on the pitch in SBW

Got A Replica Shirt

It was a very good game though. Souths pack is massive but the Roosters had the best player on the pitch in SBW
    Awesome crowd. 59,000

Yeah it was just a fraction under 60k - I bet if they included all the players, coaches, tv people etc it would mean there was over 60k in the stadium

They were very noisy too, almost a GF type atmosphere

Banned

Your not wrong pal. Think I have s*****d a nun. Been Haydock Park today and had a disaster haha

Your not wrong pal. Think I have s*****d a nun. Been Haydock Park today and had a disaster haha
    Ah so you do get out of your armchair sometime then

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Was Rangi Chase running?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    Was Rangi Chase running?
    No, day too late haha

Luke Walsh has actually scored a try just now, doesn't get many!

In The West Stand

I think some of the officiating in the NRL is a disgrace. Brisbane got absolutely caned against Penrith a fortnight back, it was so biased it was untrue, today Canterbury were hammered. It's one of the only things I have a gripe with, the other is when players purposely lie down, hoping the video ref has a look and gives a penalty.

Perhaps that is why Daniel Anderson is getting his mate Richard Silverwood, to Ref over there from next season. They've seen nothing regards poor officiating til he gets there.

I have to say that Sydney vs Manly game last week was as good a game as I've seen for a while despite the low score. The level of commitment from both teams was fantastic, an absolute refusal to let the other team cross

This week we have

Manly vs Cronulla on Friday
    Melbourne vs Newcastle on Saturday

Can't see past 2 home wins but out of the two I think the Knights have the best chance of an upset

Starting A Programme Collection WindsorSaint's Avatar

Can you believe the 7 tackle try the other night. You can see why JT and Neil Henry were so upset, especially as it's 2 years on the trot that they seem to have been hard done by!

So having 2 refs doesn't seem to solve much for me.
    Would you go with 2 in SL or stay as is, even though in the recent players poll in RLW only 37% thought that reffing had improved in recent times?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WindsorSaint View Post
    Can you believe the 7 tackle try the other night. You can see why JT and Neil Henry were so upset, especially as it's 2 years on the trot that they seem to have been hard done by!

So having 2 refs doesn't seem to solve much for me.
    Would you go with 2 in SL or stay as is, even though in the recent players poll in RLW only 37% thought that reffing had improved in recent times?
    I would go with two because it automatically makes the PTB area quicker.

After 55 minutes of this game I thought there could only be one winner in this game - Cronulla

Manly look exhausted but hopeful they can hang on

Banned

Cronulla have just been absolutely cheated. Manly's 3rd try was clearly dropped and then the penalty to disallow Gallen's try was dubious as well. The Cronulla man was offside but so was the Manly man he made contact with, he wasn't eligible to make a tackle. That's as far as Manly will go though they are done. I will be surprised if they get within 20 points next week

The Manly try was slightly debatable I suppose but he had to give it as it appeared that the ball was still in contact with the player. Disallowing the Gallen try was the correct call too and Gallen admitted as much so in the interview

I agree that Manly look empty though, they could get hammered next week

Banned

The Manly try was slightly debatable I suppose but he had to give it as it appeared that the ball was still in contact with the player. Disallowing the Gallen try was the correct call too and Gallen admitted as much so in the interview

I didnt watch the interview but if the Manly defender isn't eligible to make a tackle, how can it be deemed it affected the play? I don't know the exact rule for 2 offside players but it seemed strange to me, The final Manly try was a forward pass to Lyon from Stewart before he gave the final pass. I think the officiating in the NRL is worse than SL

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Don't think Manly or Melbourne/Newcastle will have the strength to withstand a rested Roosters or Rabbitohs team. I'll go for a Souths/Roosters final with Roosters taking the honours
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Don't think Manly or Melbourne/Newcastle will have the strength to withstand a rested Roosters or Rabbitohs team. I'll go for a Souths/Roosters final with Roosters taking the honours
    I will go for the same final but with the Rabbitohs taking the trophy

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Hi
    Never underestimate The STORM.