Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 215 12345112151101 ... LastLast

Thread: FOOTBALL - 2013/14 Season

Banned

Default FOOTBALL - 2013/14 Season

Quite impressed with us today, on another day we could have scored 6 or 7. Begovic was absolutely outstanding. Mignolet looked shaky on crosses but his shot stopping was brilliant and his double save on the pen was very special.

2 points ahead of last season already after a 0-0 at home to Stoke. Good start to the season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    Quite impressed with us today, on another day we could have scored 6 or 7. Begovic was absolutely outstanding. Mignolet looked shaky on crosses but his shot stopping was brilliant and his double save on the pen was very special.

2 points ahead of last season already after a 0-0 at home to Stoke. Good start to the season.

Plusses for Liverpool

The front 3 look good together, lots of good interplay and understanding. I think if they can do that against such a deep and organised side like Stoke then they'll be confident they can do it against most sides.

Coutinho looks outstanding when players run off him and he can thread a pass through, less so when asked to dribble.

Lucas had a good game for me, broke up alot of what Stoke were trying to do.

And of course, Mignolet will be massively boosted by the penalty stop.

Negatives

Still shaky defensively, the two centre half are both good players but I think they need a proper leader there.

Mignolet was awful with his two attempts at dealing with crosses and it should have cost you a goal.

And you again managed to almost throw away a game you absolutely dominated with a stupid mistake by Agger. It's a great way to win if you have a pen saved late on, but luckily no Stoke player realised Walters is the biggest bonehead in the league and let him take and miss another pen.

The positives outweigh the negatives for me and I was genuinely impressed with some of the passing and movement going forward. I struggle to see Liverpool being anywhere near City, Chelsea and United and honestly can't see them finishing above Tottenham, but you'll be a lot better and will be a good team to watch this season. Your form since January has been 4th/5th place type form, so continue that and you'll do okay. And 3 points ahead of Arsenal after both teams had similar types of home games, so a good day for LFC really.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Not seen any of the Liverpool game but read they played well.

Just watching United. Look good. Can't rule anyone with RVP up front out of the title. Awesome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post

Just watching United. Look good. Can't rule anyone with RVP up front out of the title. Awesome.
    I know, he carries them at times. A diamond of a player

I know, he carries them at times. A diamond of a player
    Just watching them as well and I can't help but think Rooney must have a screw loose. Why would any English born player want to leave United ? Can't work it out.

I sound this might sound daft, but it just feels unfair that United have him and only paid £20m for him. He's such an influential player and IMO is the difference between them being a title contender and maybe only being 3rd, yet whilst others are spending mad money on potential stars they have the real deal and got him for next to nothing by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I sound this might sound daft, but it just feels unfair that United have him and only paid £20m for him. He's such an influential player and IMO is the difference between them being a title contender and maybe only being 3rd, yet whilst others are spending mad money on potential stars they have the real deal and got him for next to nothing by today's standards.
    This season with City/Chelsea looking strong and Utd not signing, I think they could finish lower than 3rd without RVP. He's a match winner on his own.

Just listening to his interview as well and he's a likeable chap. Appears so modest for such a gifted football player. Breath of fresh air really.
    Last edited by SS; 17th August 2013 at 19:39.

Outstanding goal from Welbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    As soon as he scored, I was waiting for you to post

It was a quality finish.

Banned

It was a fine finish. Quite impressed with United. We play in a couple of weeks, be a good barometer for where we really are

Awaiting long overdue silverware at Saints

Just watching them as well and I can't help but think Rooney must have a screw loose. Why would any English born player want to leave United ? Can't work it out.
    Noticed also that the two goals that United scored when he was on the pitch he did not bother to celebrate with the goalscorers, he clearly is not happy and my reckoning is he wants out big time, lots of rumours from Manc mates, but which one is true I really do not know.

Good performance from United, there won"t be many sides that leave Swansea with three points and four goals, they play good football but in my book overdo it at times.

As soon as he scored, I was waiting for you to post

It was a quality finish.
    It's the only thing he is lacking. 3 in a week will do him no harm. He will be a brilliant player in time.

Reaffirmed to me watching that, that we have to keep Bale, regardless of what's offered. Can't allow players that can win a game on their own to leave. Players like that are irreplaceable.

Reaffirmed to me watching that, that we have to keep Bale, regardless of what's offered. Can't allow players that can win a game on their own to leave. Players like that are irreplaceable.
    At least for another season anyway. I would hope that AVB is talking to Bale and saying 'look at the squad we have here, don't you reckon we can have a tilt at this thing this year?!'. I don't think it's stupid to think that Spurs can challenge for a title with Bale in the side alongside what you've brought in.

City for me are favourites, they have made the best signings and anyone who finishes above them IMO will win it. Chelsea will be better and will drop far less than the 16 home points they dropped last season under Mourinho, but they don't look better than Spurs from 1-11 IMO. United are United, they'll be there, but I think City are better on paper, but we'll see.

I honestly don't think Spurs can limit themselves to going for 4th if Bale stays, as I think if he does stay then 4th would frankly be an underachievement given what you have this season. If any of the 'top 3' had Spurs squad they would all be talked of as title contending squads, so why not Spurs?

Is there a more overrated footballer in England than Theo Walcott ?

It's like watching a confident Aaron Lennon. Decent but not much more.

Banned

Is there a more overrated footballer in England than Theo Walcott ?

It's like watching a confident Aaron Lennon. Decent but not much more.
    I dont mind Walcott, I think he is an excellent finisher, should have been a Michael Owen type forward, but Wenger has ruined his career making him play wide all the time

I dont mind Walcott, I think he is an excellent finisher, should have been a Michael Owen type forward, but Wenger has ruined his career making him play wide all the time
    I agree he can finish but he's just.a one trick pony, as Owen was IMO. Walcott's general game is absolutely shocking.

Last time I saw a kid score a sublime over the goalie goal on the opening day of the season with only a few minutes on the clock, for Soccer Club United Manchester, it was that Dave Beecham character and he married a skeleton - that Dennis Windbreak must be crapping his pants now.

There. that's my contribution for this season.

Banned

Everton fans have every right to be excited I think with their new manager. I think with Moyes philosophies he had hit the absolute limit of where they could get to playing that style of football. With Martinez open to attacking football, trying to win games rather than not lose them they could go even higher if he can get the best out of them.

Players like Barkley and Mirallas should really prosper under Martinez and that can only be a good thing for them.

I still think we have a stronger team/squad than Everton but I was quite impressed by them today, they dominated for long periods and really should have won

Yeah Moyes was unbelievably negative today wasn't he?!!!

Liverpudlians have an absolute blockage when it comes to Moyes. They are convinced he's negative and not much good. I believe they're in for a shock.

He has a bunch of winners at the club. Ferdinand, Giggs, Vidic, Carrick,Evra etc all have numerous leagues between them and know what you have to do to win leagues.

It was summed up today when Moyes said he couldn't believe how quiet the dressing room was. The players told him that it was normal, we expected to win and it was just business as usual. Following SAF is unbelievably hard but there will be parts of his job that will be seamless.

If we do get a couple of good midfielders, we will be right up there again

Banned

That doesn't alter the way he set up his Everton sides does it? I think Gary Neville was dead right today when he said Swansea were beaten by RVP and Man Utd's performance wasn't as dominant as the result suggests

That doesn't alter the way he set up his Everton sides does it? I think Gary Neville was dead right today when he said Swansea were beaten by RVP and Man Utd's performance wasn't as dominant as the result suggests
    I agree it wasn't a great performance as such however you have to remember we are notoriously slow starters. We lost our opener last year at Everton.

Also Swansea are probably a bit further ahead in preparation than we are having played 2 Europa League games. To score 4 there was great. Not many teams will win there this season.

At 2-0 he could have protected the lead, brought a defender on and say put Jones in midfield. However he didn't, he brought Giggs off and Rooney on. Hardly a negative act.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Like United need new players !! An excellent start with the old guard.I think the only need is if Rooney does somehow force a move.
    Quietly impressed with Liverpool's start.always struggle against Stoke but should have won by 4 or 5.Suarez could prove an great bonus if he does'nt go.Still think there is a possibility of a move but on Liverpools terms ie to RM if Bale does'nt end up there.

Everton looked good.Arsenal were shocking.
    Learned comment from The Don