Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andy Murray

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Default Andy Murray

Thoughts on the guy ?

Polarises opinion massively and I'm a bit of a tennis fan and follow many of the tournaments, especially the majors. Big fan of Murray. Find it hard to believe that Britain has a genuine world class male tennis player for the first time in over half a century and people still knock the bloke.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Thoughts on the guy ?

Polarises opinion massively and I'm a bit of a tennis fan and follow many of the tournaments, especially the majors. Big fan of Murray. Find it hard to believe that Britain has a genuine world class male tennis player for the first time in over half a century and people still knock the bloke.
    Scottish and admire him for being patriotic but cos he's Scottish and not English I will not cheer him patriotically

Really like the guy, always have done

Unlucky to have played tennis in the same period as three of the greatest players ever seen

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintokell View Post
    Scottish and admire him for being patriotic but cos he's Scottish and not English I will not cheer him patriotically
    He has come a long way, from the player that used to be known as Scottish when he lost, and British when he won. And as Retro rightly says, he is very unfortunate that he is around at a time of the finest mens players ever.

I'm just pleased for any kid who can drag himself out of a Gorbals slum and make his mark in the tennis world!

Got A Replica Shirt

He made an anti English comment early in his career.
    Which a lot of people still remember!
    Surely he must come through his half of the draw and play Djorkavic in the final

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Rake View Post
    He made an anti English comment early in his career.
    Which a lot of people still remember!
    Surely he must come through his half of the draw and play Djorkavic in the final

Id be pretty interested to see the actual comments that were made. As far as I was aware he has merely said that he doesnt support England because he isnt English.....its a pretty fair comment TBH. Its just a statement of fact.

As for him as a tennis player, he is a terrific player. He is doing pretty well depsite playing against 3 players that are amongst the best that has been seen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    Id be pretty interested to see the actual comments that were made. As far as I was aware he has merely said that he doesnt support England because he isnt English.....its a pretty fair comment TBH. Its just a statement of fact.

As for him as a tennis player, he is a terrific player. He is doing pretty well depsite playing against 3 players that are amongst the best that has been seen.
    He was asked who he was supporting in the football and he said anybody that plays England

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    He was asked who he was supporting in the football and he said anybody that plays England
    Have you seen that interview ?

It was a very jovial interview where there was a bit of banter with Tim Henman and he jokingly said 'anyone but England'. Of course, the English based media went to town on it. Anybody with any experience of the Scots would know that they'd all say that. It doesn't mean they actually mean it. The bloke is a genuine world class tennis player, the likes of which Britain hasn't seen in over half a century. Instead of appreciating a guy that has made 3 of the last 4 major finals, we choose to hammer the bloke. I, personally, think he'll win Wimbledon this year.
    Last edited by SS; 29th June 2013 at 08:03.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Have you seen that interview ?

It was a very jovial interview where there was a bit of banter with Tim Henman and he jokingly said 'anyone but England'. Of course, the English based media went to town on it. Anybody with any experience of the Scots would know that they'd all say that. It doesn't mean they actually mean it. The bloke is a genuine world class tennis player, the likes of which Britain hasn't seen in over half a century. Instead of appreciating a guy that has made the final of 3 of the last 4 major finals, we choose to hammer the bloke. I, personally, think he'll win Wimbledon this year.
    I hope not, there is not one likeable quality he possesses. I can't stand him.

Good tennis player - Absolutely, but I hope he gets destroyed every time he plays. There is just something about him that I can't take to

I hope not, there is not one likeable quality he possesses. I can't stand him.

Good tennis player - Absolutely, but I hope he gets destroyed every time he plays. There is just something about him that I can't take to
    Sounds personal to me. Nothing wrong with the fella, just strikes me as a typical Scotsman. I guess if you aren't used to them then you can take them the wrong way.

Got A Season Ticket

If he was English he would probably have been knighted already.

Banned

Dont watch tennis, i wonder if harry will manage to get time off work to hang about with brucie n parky while really he should be in afghanistan looking after my saftey in england. As for Murray and before him 'COME ON TIM', i cant stand the middle upperclass tools. Last of all Inverdale, 'i pray that god takes some days off his life and gives them to me'.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by sarava View Post
    i cant stand the middle upperclass tools.
    I can't stand bigots, but each to their own.

I'm a tennis fan so I always want the British guy/girl to do well, whoever they are.

There are two British traits that make him unpopular. One is that we don't actually like sporting heroes in this country. I don't think there's another place like it where people actually want successful people from their own country to fail. It's almost like winning is 'un-British', which I suppose it is.

Secondly, inverted snobbery is much more rife than snobbery in this country. Again, very few countries out there actively detest people who have the fortune to have money or have made money themselves. We seem pretty unique in that way. Tennis players always suffer from that kind of bigotry in this country and it just embarrasses us as a nation.

As for the 'anti-England' nonsense, he's a football fan and Scotland's rivals are England. If he'd said that he had wanted England to win then I'd have lost all respect for him.

Anyway, I really hope Murray can end the long wait for a British Wimbledon win this year because he might not be representing Britain soon if Scotland gain their independence!

As it happens, this is a real golden opportunity. The path to the Final should be straightforward, as it is for Djokovic, so it's just about peaking for that one match really. It's neither players favoured surface so it has all the signs of being a classic should the expected clash come to fruition.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by sarava View Post
    Dont watch tennis, i wonder if harry will manage to get time off work to hang about with brucie n parky while really he should be in afghanistan looking after my saftey in england. As for Murray and before him 'COME ON TIM', i cant stand the middle upperclass tools. Last of all Inverdale, 'i pray that god takes some days off his life and gives them to me'.
    Another masterpiece of well thought out prose here I see!

I think we are guilty of judging a sport based on what we see at Wimbledon. Wimbledon is basically a tournament watched by a crowd of people who do not really passionately follow tennis. It is a day out, somewhere to be seen and very expensive and as a result we end up with crowds that in no way represent the nation. But, at the end of the day, it is one tournament and I don't see how Murray or anyone else can be judged based upon the cultural aspects of the Wimbledon Championships. If a poor working class kid from St Helens made it big and featured at Wimbledon we'd still get these people shouting 'Let's go x' at him. He would still be the darling of the upper middle class set at Wimbledon if he was doing well. We'd still get Pippa Middleton and Tory grandees name checking him and cheering him on from the Royal box. Would that reflect on him? Not at all.

Wimbledon is one of the 4 major tournaments, and players want to win it. Just because we may not really love the narrow and exclusive set of people who attend that tournament doesn't really mean we have to think that the players involved are a part of it. Tennis suffers from the same issues that RU suffers from, whereby people judge an entire sport based on what they think the realities are in England. Neither sports are seen as 'upper class' in France, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc, etc. But because we are so blinkered by our class system we judge a sport (and thereby the players involved) because of stereotypical attitudes and class prejudice.

The England football team is now littered with young men who went to private schools. But we don't judge them because of it or even think about it in the same way as we think about it in tennis and RU. A load of modern day footballers grew up in very wealthy environments, went to top schools and have more or less as much privilege as the best tennis and RU players. But because they don't speak with a posh accent or play a sport that we associate with being posh they are free of such judgemental criticisms. And most football fans think it's perfectly reasonable that they get paid £200k a week, yet criticise other elements of society for being rich and privileged. It's stupid really.

As for Murray, I think he is a winner. I like winners, I like the attitude of someone who thinks he/she is the best. We don't have enough of them. I couldn't care less about his personality, how he speaks, what his Mum is like, etc, etc. He is a sportsman, and a fine one at that. That's all I judge him on unless he is out there breaking the law every night, which he isn't. Yesterday I watched a bit of his QF. He could easily have given up in the match at various stages and used the excuse that this has been 'a tournament of shocks' and simply added his name to the list of big name exits. But he didn't, he stuck with it and got the win, and then was basically lambasted by the guy from the BBC for only winning in 5 sets. Ridiculous really.

Gray, who in the England football team went to private school? Most of them are thick as f€$k

Starting A Programme Collection Billy Bunter's Avatar

Whilst not my favourite sport, I do like tennis, it does produce some incredibly tense moments. And it features Sabine Lisicki!

I've no problem at all with Murray. Couldn't care less if he's miserable or dour, he's a damn fine player. I think its great not having all your hopes pinned on Jeremy Bates possibly making the 2nd round!

Having said all that, I'm not sure I would enjoy the Wimbledon experience. I've been to watch the cricket at Lords and loved it, and you don't get much more 'establishment' than that. However, watching Wimbledon on TV, particularly Murray matches, some of the screeching, laughing at mis-timed ooohs and aaahs, Mexican waves, tennis ball earrings, clapping umpire announcements just makes me want to cause damage to things!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bunter View Post
    And it features Sabine Lisicki!
    Great point, it's not just her tennis that has caught the eye. She is a cracker!

Noooobie

I'm wryly amused by this thread. recently I started one about the Lions in Oz and several people shot me down in flames because it had no connection with Rugby League or the Saints. Where are those people now I wonder. Double standards maybe, or just a lack of consistency when there's something to grumble about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AitchDee View Post
    I'm wryly amused by this thread. recently I started one about the Lions in Oz and several people shot me down in flames because it had no connection with Rugby League or the Saints. Where are those people now I wonder. Double standards maybe, or just a lack of consistency when there's something to grumble about.
    This is in the off topic section, where yours should have gone

Noooobie

Thanks Bazdev, I genuinely didn't know. That comes of being a new boy. I'd never even looked in this section before.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AitchDee View Post
    Thanks Bazdev, I genuinely didn't know. That comes of being a new boy. I'd never even looked in this section before.
    You will probably find the most sensible discussion in here to be honest, the football/nfl threads are my favourite on the whole board

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

You will probably find the most sensible discussion in here to be honest, the football/nfl threads are my favourite on the whole board
    sshhhhh! They're like a retreat those threads are! Like a secret safehouse...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Gray, who in the England football team went to private school? Most of them are thick as f€$k
    I take it back Stu, I was wrong with my post before and got the England football team stats mixed up with something else. Lampard and Oxlade-Chamberlain went to private school, Parker and Smalling went to very prestigious state schools and Milner is the son of a quantity surveyor and grew up in a very wealthy background. There are loads of articles about how private schools are now adapting football into their curriculums and how privately educated boys are now 'getting into' football when in the past it was more RU.

But, to state that half the England squad went to private school was utter bollocks by me. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I take it back Stu, I was wrong with my post before and got the England football team stats mixed up with something else. Lampard and Oxlade-Chamberlain went to private school, Parker and Smalling went to very prestigious state schools and Milner is the son of a quantity surveyor and grew up in a very wealthy background. There are loads of articles about how private schools are now adapting football into their curriculums and how privately educated boys are now 'getting into' football when in the past it was more RU.

But, to state that half the England squad went to private school was utter bollocks by me. Sorry.
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic here? I wasn't having a pop at you and indeed I didn't realise the above players did have those backgrounds. I know Lampard is a clever lad with a high IQ but the others surprised me.

Hope you haven't taken it the wrong way.