Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Jon Wilkin

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

One esteemed Redvee poster was virtually in tears last night because he said "good luck in the Final" to Matty Smith at the end of their interview yesterday. The way I read his text I expected a similar hysterical response from at least two dozen people on here. I'm pleased to note that this is not the case.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    One esteemed Redvee poster was virtually in tears last night because he said "good luck in the Final" to Matty Smith at the end of their interview yesterday. The way I read his text I expected a similar hysterical response from at least two dozen people on here. I'm pleased to note that this is not the case.
    I fully appreciate that he is trying to carve out a job in the media and that he needs to maintain some sense of neutrality when presenting.

However, maybe its just me being old school but I do not wish to hear a current saints squad member fawning over Wigan players and certainly not " wishing them good luck in the final" . " Keep running those tries in Josh mate" and his legs where dangling out of Tomkins rear end when he was interviewing him.

I realise he ' couldn't say " Hope you get stuffed at Wembley"...if he had made a joke about it saying " Well I would wish you luck but......" it would have been preferable.

I wasn't nearly in tears but its simply not what I want to hear. We have not all lost the passion Dave.

Good to note that we have a moderator that believes in some form of censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Good to note that we have a moderator that believes in some form of censorship.

Quite ironic that because remaining ' neutral' and saying what is ' expected' instead of being able to say what you really feel is truly censorship!

Post match interviews are rarely anything other than dull these days as everyone is trained to say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Quite ironic that because remaining ' neutral' and saying what is ' expected' instead of being able to say what you really feel is truly censorship!

Post match interviews are rarely anything other than dull these days as everyone is trained to say the same thing.
    Perhaps the reality is that Wilkin did say what he wanted to. After all, he and Smith were club mates for several years. Also, shock horror, several of the Saints and Wigan players are friends off the pitch, similar to many fans of the two clubs 😱.

Starting A Programme Collection WindsorSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Maybe so. But he's no David Frost or Jeremy Paxman.

It just shows how far the BBC has fallen that they have men of Wilkin's calibre in key roles.
    Sorry, but when have we ever had 'Frost' and 'Paxman' like on any BBC RL team? So why have they fallen and why not have Wilkin as a current player and International in a role (not really 'key' either was he?) like on Sunday. He'll never please everyone, but to put him down on his first attempt at live broadcasting is a bit rich. Give the fella a break for gods sake! Certainly no worse than Robbie Paul, Jiffy or the others.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WindsorSaint View Post
    Sorry, but when have we ever had 'Frost' and 'Paxman' like on any BBC RL team? So why have they fallen and why not have Wilkin as a current player and International in a role (not really 'key' either was he?) like on Sunday. He'll never please everyone, but to put him down on his first attempt at live broadcasting is a bit rich. Give the fella a break for gods sake! Certainly no worse than Robbie Paul, Jiffy or the others.
    Sorry, I think you missed my (perhaps poor) sense of humour.
    I was simply trying to put his BBC job in similar terms to what many posters on this thread say about Wilkin. I.e., he's an OK player but will never be as good as Scully, etc.

For what it's worth I quite like Wilkin both as a player and his burgeoning media career. My original post was meant as a dig at the posters who criticise him for what he isn't rather than what he is.