Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567132353 ... LastLast

Thread: Football - off season antics

Starting A Programme Collection RedSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedSaint View Post
    I could've swore i replied to this, but can't see it.
    It's a shame Eric Steele has gone as he' worked wonders with De Gea and i do wonder jf that will unsettle him, eapecially with Barcelona in the hunt for a keeper. I'm not too bothered about mickey shorts either, but just hope we keep Rene Muelensteen, very highly rated coach.
    Its in the papers today then Rene may walk away now as he's been given a lesser role under Moyes. Bad news if true. The best way to ease the transition would of been with keeping most of the championship winning staff.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Speaking to an Everton season ticket holder yesterday. He reckons Moyes will move for Howard. Said Moyes rates him massively and doubts that De Gea will last under him.

That would be hysterical

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Speaking to an Everton season ticket holder yesterday. He reckons Moyes will move for Howard. Said Moyes rates him massively and doubts that De Gea will last under him.

That would be hysterical
    That would never happen trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    That would never happen trust me.
    You'd think not but Moyes is now in charge. I can see why he'd want rid of De Gea but Howard would be hilarious.

I can see why he'd want rid of De Gea .
    Eh??? The premier league team of the season goalkeeper?

Eh??? The premier league team of the season goalkeeper?
    Massively overrated. Do you think he'd have been in the team of the year had he played for Norwich ? No chance. Even Ferdinand got in the team of the year, that's how seriously it's taken.

Massively overrated. Do you think he'd have been in the team of the year had he played for Norwich ? No chance. Even Ferdinand got in the team of the year, that's how seriously it's taken.
    Don't bite Red Saint. I am not going to

No, but you don't see many Norwich players getting in team of the season.
    If DDG is anything, it's massively underrated, he's had loads of abuse because of people like Martin Tyler waiting for him to make a mistake constantly going on about it.
    If you ignore what idiots in the media say and just watch him then you'll see how good a goalkeeper he is, and he is only going to get better at his age.

No, but you don't see many Norwich players getting in team of the season.
    If DDG is anything, it's massively underrated, he's had loads of abuse because of people like Martin Tyler waiting for him to make a mistake constantly going on about it.
    If you ignore what idiots in the media say and just watch him then you'll see how good a goalkeeper he is, and he is only going to get better at his age.

Don't bite Red Saint. I am not going to
    Too late

Too late
    In all seriousness, he's a good keeper. Just not top class IMO, which I haven't wavered from since I first saw him here.

In all seriousness, he's a good keeper. Just not top class IMO, which I haven't wavered from since I first saw him here.
    I do still disagree as I think he will become top class, if he's already the best premier league keeper at 22, I don't see any reason why he won't be. Most keeper only get to their peak at late 20's.

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

DDG is going nowhere and tim Howard certainly won't be going back to united!

As for Steele and phelan, well for me it's positive. Positive in that moyes has made some big calls/decisions early doors when it would have been very easy for him to stick with what was in place. He needs to be his own man and build his team around him, if he'd not had the courage to make those cuts then it would have been a concern. I know Steele has helped DDG settle but let's be honest, he's already one of the leagues best and Steele has done his job. Helping him settle was the key thing, now he's settled I'd imagine he'll have no problems working under a new coach. The speaking Spanish thing will have helped no doubt to begin, but DDG will be able to speak English now to a degree and it's no doubt preferable to have the dressing room all conversing in the same language.

It's a shame for them to have to go but it was always going to happen and ferguson himself said that

I do still disagree as I think he will become top class, if he's already the best premier league keeper at 22, I don't see any reason why he won't be. Most keeper only get to their peak at late 20's.
    I fundamentally disagree that De Gea is anywhere near the best keeper in the PL.

Cech, Lloris and Begovic are all better.

I fundamentally disagree that De Gea is anywhere near the best keeper in the PL.

Cech, Lloris and Begovic are all better.
    Fair enough. I don't think we're going to agree on this one.

Fair enough. I don't think we're going to agree on this one.
    No bother. Opinions as ever.

I agree with TSS that Moyes changing staff is a positive. I'd have been more concerned had he come in and not changed anything.

Just broke on Twitter that Lewandowski has agreed to join Bayern Munich next year.

No bother. Opinions as ever.

I agree with TSS that Moyes changing staff is a positive. I'd have been more concerned had he come in and not changed anything.
    Ok you have drawn me in. So if they are all better, why are Barca not chasing those 3? They are very interested in De Gea.

Ok you have drawn me in. So if they are all better, why are Barca not chasing those 3? They are very interested in De Gea.
    Been rumours all year that Barca are looking at Lloris as well, not that it matters.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ina-de-1740778

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...-for-Barcelona

Begovic chased by United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool. Cech has been on his own at the top in England for years as well. Stop being so biased. De Gea is good but doesn't command his area anywhere near enough to be top class yet.

Disagree. He has made huge improvements in that area and the rest of his game more than compensates.

You don't give him anywhere near enough credit for just how old he is. It's unbelievable how good he is at such a young age.

Schmeichel was in the Danish second Division at the same age.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Just broke on Twitter that Lewandowski has agreed to join Bayern Munich next year.
    German football is dead. Congratulations to Michel Platini and friends.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    German football is dead. Congratulations to Michel Platini and friends.
    The French league will soon find itself the focus of attention, stories today linking falcao with Monaco. With the two players they picked up last week and doubtless others in the near future they'll be pushing PSG for the honour of being the biggest spenders in French/European football.

Neymar signed for barca too, that's an interesting one and signals the end of David villa at the club. Arsenal or spurs for him, the premier league will though need to strengthen to keep up with the likes of Munich, barca & PSG.

This summer could easily be a record breaker for transfer fees paid throughout Europe

Disagree. He has made huge improvements in that area and the rest of his game more than compensates.

You don't give him anywhere near enough credit for just how old he is. It's unbelievable how good he is at such a young age.

Schmeichel was in the Danish second Division at the same age.
    He has improved at it but in fairness, with how dodgy he was, his improvement doesn't exactly make him a commanding goalkeeper. Just means he is now capable of leaving his goal line occasionally. Still a way to go for me.

WRT his age. I know he's young but you can't go judging a player off his potential. He may never fulfil it. He's good no question but there is no way I would proclaim a keeper that is vulnerable coming off his line as top class. Absolutely no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    The French league will soon find itself the focus of attention, stories today linking falcao with Monaco. With the two players they picked up last week and doubtless others in the near future they'll be pushing PSG for the honour of being the biggest spenders in French/European football.

Neymar signed for barca too, that's an interesting one and signals the end of David villa at the club. Arsenal or spurs for him, the premier league will though need to strengthen to keep up with the likes of Munich, barca & PSG.

This summer could easily be a record breaker for transfer fees paid throughout Europe
    Indeed, Monaco will have gone past your record transfer fee twice in a week shortly.

He has improved at it but in fairness, with how dodgy he was, his improvement doesn't exactly make him a commanding goalkeeper. Just means he is now capable of leaving his goal line occasionally. Still a way to go for me.

WRT his age. I know he's young but you can't go judging a player off his potential. He may never fulfil it. He's good no question but there is no way I would proclaim a keeper that is vulnerable coming off his line as top class. Absolutely no way.
    Nothing to do with potential, he has shown enough to prove that he has much more than that. It's about maturity and experience as evidenced by my Schemichel example.

Only Buffon has been first choice at a top club at a similar age. Cech was good to be fair despite not playing at the same level of club.

Nothing to do with potential, he has shown enough to prove that he has much more than that. It's about maturity and experience as evidenced by my Schemichel example.

Only Buffon has been first choice at a top club at a similar age. Cech was good to be fair despite not playing at the same level of club.
    Peruzzi first choice at Juve at 22. Gordon Banks first choice at Leicester at the same age. Jennings at Spurs at 24. Van der Sar 21 at Ajax. Cech signed for Chelsea at 22. Southall at Everton at 23. Iker Casillas was first choice at Madrid in the 99/00 season at the ripe old age of 19.