Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 57 12345112151 ... LastLast

Thread: Football - off season antics

Banned

Default Football - off season antics

have to say I am glad the season is over.

We have seen the end to some careers of some top players Carragher/Scholes/Beckham/P Neville etc and a top ref IMO with Mark Halsey. I am hibernating now till August because I hate transfer windows so have a good summer and see you all next season

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bazdev View Post
    have to say I am glad the season is over.

We have seen the end to some careers of some top players Carragher/Scholes/Beckham/P Neville etc and a top ref IMO with Mark Halsey. I am hibernating now till August because I hate transfer windows so have a good summer and see you all next season
    I suppose in overall footballing terms it's as close as you'll come to the end of an era, I don't remember an end to a season where so many big names have left the game. Scholes, Beckham, Owen, Carragher, Ferguson have all been massivley involved in football for a long long time and it'll be a bit strange next season with them all missing.

I'm a bit of a transfer muppet really, I can't help but get involved with it all and the years without major tournaments are often the worst! I just hope for United we do our business early and it's done and dusted without too much fuss. It'll be a big summer i'm certain - City & Chelsea I think will go big, we'll do one big deal I think and then add to the team with a couple in the 10-20m range, Arsenal have to add but i'm not sure if they're a team that will spend a lot, Spurs have a few needs and the need for a goalscorer I think means they spend in the region of 50m over the summer on 3 players and Liverpool will add 2 or 3 players - a centre half and a squad striker.

Before the silly season starts i'm going to guess at what is spent over the summer - feel free to add your own predictions

Manchester United - 55m
    Manchester City - 70m
    Chelsea - 90m (a striker being 50m of that)
    Arsenal - 35m
    Tottenham Hotspur - 45m
    Everton - 18m
    Liverpool - 25m
    WBA - 15m
    Swansea - 16m
    West Ham - 15m
    Norwich - 8m
    Fulham - 11m
    Stoke - 10m
    Southampton - 15m
    Villa - 10m
    Newcastle - 20m
    Sunderland - 12m
    Cardiff - 18m
    Hull - 7.5m
    Palace/Watford - 7.5m

Approx 500m spent over the summer for PL teams....

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

In a week full of stats.

Fergusons net spend in 26 years is 180 million. In today's crazy spending frenzy thats amazing.
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post
    I suppose in overall footballing terms it's as close as you'll come to the end of an era, I don't remember an end to a season where so many big names have left the game. Scholes, Beckham, Owen, Carragher, Ferguson have all been massivley involved in football for a long long time and it'll be a bit strange next season with them all missing.

I'm a bit of a transfer muppet really, I can't help but get involved with it all and the years without major tournaments are often the worst! I just hope for United we do our business early and it's done and dusted without too much fuss. It'll be a big summer i'm certain - City & Chelsea I think will go big, we'll do one big deal I think and then add to the team with a couple in the 10-20m range, Arsenal have to add but i'm not sure if they're a team that will spend a lot, Spurs have a few needs and the need for a goalscorer I think means they spend in the region of 50m over the summer on 3 players and Liverpool will add 2 or 3 players - a centre half and a squad striker.

Before the silly season starts i'm going to guess at what is spent over the summer - feel free to add your own predictions

Manchester United - 55m
    Manchester City - 70m
    Chelsea - 90m (a striker being 50m of that)
    Arsenal - 35m
    Tottenham Hotspur - 45m
    Everton - 18m
    Liverpool - 25m
    WBA - 15m
    Swansea - 16m
    West Ham - 15m
    Norwich - 8m
    Fulham - 11m
    Stoke - 10m
    Southampton - 15m
    Villa - 10m
    Newcastle - 20m
    Sunderland - 12m
    Cardiff - 18m
    Hull - 7.5m
    Palace/Watford - 7.5m

Approx 500m spent over the summer for PL teams....
    I can see Tottenham having a net spend of circa 20m this summer. They'll offload a few and bring in around 20m from them. I'm enjoying reading AVB put pressure on Levy to change his transfer policy.

Unusually, Jamie Redknapp hit the nail on the head this morning. Spurs have got plenty of money. Joe Lewis is worth astronomical amounts of money. Its up to Spurs to show that they intend to improve from competing for top 4 and pushing further and further on. Stop selling the better players and develop into a real contender. I've said all year that I don't think Spurs are a million miles away from competing for the title. Under this manager, I honestly believe that he could achieve incredible things for Spurs. The manager is absolutely superb. The squad has a lot of real quality but needs a couple of additions and a bit of depth. Its up to Levy and co to show whether thats what they want or whether we continue to tread water.

We'll spend over £150m.

United dont spend, they promote youngsters from within like phil jones and robin van persie.
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by wabo View Post
    We'll spend over £150m.

United dont spend, they promote youngsters from within like phil jones and robin van persie.
    Bitterness?

Banned

Did anybody watch the Hillsborough Panorama tonight, just watched it back now and the level of cover up was astounding. I know someone came on here when we got the inquests reopened saying we should let it lie and asked what 'Justice' could we get? (Think it was Johnyl but not 100%) but surely tonight showed why the families campaigned for so long and how much of a disgrace it is to have taken so long to come to light the true story.

JFT96

Bitterness?
    not at all, just stating facts.
    The past was yours but the future's mine,
    You're all out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by wabo View Post
    not at all, just stating facts.
    yeah that's exactly what you were doing.

yeah that's exactly what you were doing.
    Who do you see United going for then ?

I, personally, think Baines is a cert to be at Old Trafford come the new season. I also would not at all be surprised if Fellaini isn't there either.

Quote Originally Posted by SS View Post
    Who do you see United going for then ?

I, personally, think Baines is a cert to be at Old Trafford come the new season. I also would not at all be surprised if Fellaini isn't there either.
    Honest answer would be, I haven't a clue!

Lots will depend on Rooney and what Moyes does with him (seems weird still typing that). If he goes then Lewandowski maybe?

I'd say that Fellaini is more likely to come of the two you mention, I thought Evra over the last season has had his best season for years. Unless there's an intent to let him go then I don't see us carrying two of the leagues best left backs. Fellaini would fit the mould, we need a bit of presence in the midfield - Carrick will be a cert to start and hopefully Kagawa too, that would leave us short of a physical presence and I think Fellaini would provide that. I also think Fellaini may have ran his course at Everton, I recall earlier in teh season the fans falling out with him so perhaps it's a good move for both clubs, Everton of course would have 20m to stengthen their sqaud with.

Cleverly is a curious one, he's got some work on his hands over the summer to impress Moyes in training. He's not been selected for the majority of games at the back end of this season and I think there's a small doubt hanging over his future at United. I think he's got the ability but there's perhaps doubts over his fit in the team.

You heard anything about Spurs? I think it's between you and Arsenal for Villa, you're failure to get the 4th spot may hinder your chances but if you can convince him to join up you'll be laughing. I've aslo read that Chelsea are closing in on the left back Shaw?

You heard anything about Spurs? I think it's between you and Arsenal for Villa, you're failure to get the 4th spot may hinder your chances but if you can convince him to join up you'll be laughing. I've aslo read that Chelsea are closing in on the left back Shaw?
    I don't personally believe the Villa stuff. I just cannot see Levy shelling out 10m+ for a 31 year old.

Shaw I read yesterday is a boyhood Chelsea fan. If thats the case, then its a no brainer really. I'd still expect Spurs to try for him though as he fits the transfer strategy of Tottenham perfectly.

It'll be an interesting summer for Spurs, very interesting.

I don't personally believe the Villa stuff. I just cannot see Levy shelling out 10m+ for a 31 year old.

Shaw I read yesterday is a boyhood Chelsea fan. If thats the case, then its a no brainer really. I'd still expect Spurs to try for him though as he fits the transfer strategy of Tottenham perfectly.

It'll be an interesting summer for Spurs, very interesting.
    I think that's where Levy has perhaps got to change the way he operates, signing a player like Villa wouldn't just be a boost to you on a playing level he'd increase the clubs profile and be a player that would further encourage players to stay at Spurs and to also sign high profile players to push you into the top 4. That's not meant to be a dig at Spurs or anything but in recent years players have perhaps seen Spurs as a 'stepping stone' whereas now it's a place to play where a player can realistically expect to challenge for honours. One big signing is maybe all it would take to tip you over.

I think that's where Levy has perhaps got to change the way he operates, signing a player like Villa wouldn't just be a boost to you on a playing level he'd increase the clubs profile and be a player that would further encourage players to stay at Spurs and to also sign high profile players to push you into the top 4. That's not meant to be a dig at Spurs or anything but in recent years players have perhaps seen Spurs as a 'stepping stone' whereas now it's a place to play where a player can realistically expect to challenge for honours. One big signing is maybe all it would take to tip you over.
    Levy is a muppet when it comes to signing players. The opening three games of the season (Newcastle (a), WBA (h) and Norwich (h)), we took the grand total of 2 points. One victory over WBA or Norwich at home and we'd now be in the CL. Levy only signed Dembele and Dempsey at the start of the season. Who knows how we'd have got on if those players were signed in June and had ample chance to fit in the side. Same story for two January's when despite it being obvious to all and sundry that we need a top striker, he doesn't sign one.

So, yes, I am desperate for him to change policy. Absolutely desperate. I'd love to see us have a massive summer; sign the likes of Moutinho, Shaw, Benteke, Damiao etc but I can't see it. I look at it that those players would cost us circa 75/80m. He's apparently released Bentley on a free which saves millions in wages. He could sell Gomes, Huddlestone, Assou-Ekotto, Naughton, Parker, Livermore, Adebayor etc and bring in 35/40m, meaning a net spend of 35/40m. That is not crazy by any stretch in modern football but Levy just won't do it.

He'll make 60m next summer anyway

Levy is a muppet when it comes to signing players. The opening three games of the season (Newcastle (a), WBA (h) and Norwich (h)), we took the grand total of 2 points. One victory over WBA or Norwich at home and we'd now be in the CL. Levy only signed Dembele and Dempsey at the start of the season. Who knows how we'd have got on if those players were signed in June and had ample chance to fit in the side. Same story for two January's when despite it being obvious to all and sundry that we need a top striker, he doesn't sign one.

So, yes, I am desperate for him to change policy. Absolutely desperate. I'd love to see us have a massive summer; sign the likes of Moutinho, Shaw, Benteke, Damiao etc but I can't see it. I look at it that those players would cost us circa 75/80m. He's apparently released Bentley on a free which saves millions in wages. He could sell Gomes, Huddlestone, Assou-Ekotto, Naughton, Parker, Livermore, Adebayor etc and bring in 35/40m, meaning a net spend of 35/40m. That is not crazy by any stretch in modern football but Levy just won't do it.

Just playing devils advocate for a second, given the chance to take this as your summer business now would you do so?

In;
    Shaw £12-15m
    Benteke £ 25m
    Damiao £20m??
    Moutinho £25m
    Nani £16-18m
    Total – Approx £100m

Out;
    Parker £6m
    Gomes £5m
    Huddlestone £7-10m
    BAE - £7.5m??
    Adebayor £12m
    Bale £55m
    Total – Approx £95-100m

Just playing devils advocate for a second, given the chance to take this as your summer business now would you do so?

In;
    Shaw £12-15m
    Benteke £ 25m
    Damiao £20m??
    Moutinho £25m
    Nani £16-18m
    Total – Approx £100m

Out;
    Parker £6m
    Gomes £5m
    Huddlestone £7-10m
    BAE - £7.5m??
    Adebayor £12m
    Bale £55m
    Total – Approx £95-100m
    Nah, I wouldn't advocate selling Bale this summer at all. Nor, it appears does anybody else associated with Spurs. Its already been agreed that he's off next year unless something wild happens and we win the league or something.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Just heard that after his retirement Sir Alex Ferguson has gone into the petrol business and bought a chain of 25/7 petrol stations.You heard it here first.
    Learned comment from The Don

Season hasn't been finished a week and I already hate it. The off season is pretty much always open season on Tottenham from the medias POV.

Banned

Season hasn't been finished a week and I already hate it. The off season is pretty much always open season on Tottenham from the medias POV.
    I steer clear of the papers. Hate transfer windows, noticed somebody on FB excited that we are linked with Aspas. He will be joining Pellegrini at City for me. Once they are signed I will get excited and not before. Roll on Sep 1st

Graham Hunter pretty confident that we will land Thiago for between 15-18m. That would be an unbelievable bargain. He is not getting games with Barca and would slot into our midfield perfectly.

We are in pole position. Allegedly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Graham Hunter pretty confident that we will land Thiago for between 15-18m. That would be an unbelievable bargain. He is not getting games with Barca and would slot into our midfield perfectly.

We are in pole position. Allegedly.
    I like Hunter he is pretty much always spot on with his Barca info, unlike Balague who blatantly guesses.

Incidentally Moutinho and James Rodriguez are having medicals at Monaco. Do the fair play rules not apply to Monaco? They are linked with Falcao as well

I steer clear of the papers. Hate transfer windows, noticed somebody on FB excited that we are linked with Aspas. He will be joining Pellegrini at City for me. Once they are signed I will get excited and not before. Roll on Sep 1st
    I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I bought a paper. I tend to have a look at Tottenham news over the internet and that's about it. I'm generally not too fussed with all the players that are linked with coming or going. I don't really buy into any of it until there's some kind of evidence of it. Its the opinion pieces that I can't stand. Off season brings out the traditional Spurs baiting in most of the mainstream media; regular as clockwork. You can literally count on one hand the number of positive Spurs pieces you'll see in a week and thats only started really since we started competing for top 4. That's primarily why I stopped buying a paper.

Starting A Programme Collection RedSaint's Avatar

I like Hunter he is pretty much always spot on with his Barca info, unlike Balague who blatantly guesses.

Incidentally Moutinho and James Rodriguez are having medicals at Monaco. Do the fair play rules not apply to Monaco? They are linked with Falcao as well
    They don't have to pay the tax rates as the rest of the teams in French league which is about 70% I think for high earners. There's a bit of an uproar from the French clubs and apparently Monaco have threatened to join the Italian league instead if they have to pay the same money as everyone else.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Hang on. I'm sure you said that he was the best chairman in the business when things were going well.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Hang on. I'm sure you said that he was the best chairman in the business when things were going well.
    You touch on a good point to be honest. Many Spurs fans are losing patience with him and I am certainly. This is now two seasons on the bounce where we've blown the chance to make the CL. Last year, most of it fell on Redknapp for his shenanigans after Xmas although even then we were crying out for strengthening in January up front and he didn't do it. Levy had all last summer and then January to give the club a genuine number 9 and he didn't do it. I genuinely blame Levy alone for us not getting CL this year.

Having said that, its the same as always with him really. I recognise that he's just about the best chairman around when it comes to selling players or getting the best price, which in fairness, is what Spurs have been about for the past 5 years. In signing players though, I've never really promoted the idea that Levy is brilliant. He's good at times. He gets some players on fantastic deals but in the main, he just won't push the boat out.

I think this summer will define Levy. We either push on, prove to Bale, Vertonghen etc that we intend pushing or we don't. We carry on scratching around for good deals and end up losing them all. It is what it is I guess. What worries me even more is that Levy in his final game programme notes made reference to his hope that FFPR brings other clubs into line with Spurs' transfer policy, which tends to indicate that he isn't for changing.